GUILTY UT - Amy Candland, 41, found murdered, Provo, 21 Feb 2010

Per SP's facebook, WVCPD says this body is not Susan's.

From the link fhc posted:

"The area was off-road, not accessible by vehicle, and would take "several minutes to access it by hiking or snowshoeing," he said."

Would that count as extreme measures?

Could, particularly given the weather conditions at that time.

However, I'm still perplexed by the red hands. I had always pictured him having done something really out-of-the-ordinary to her.

Seems odd that Facebook could scoop the news that the person was definitely not Susan, before tv and papers could even find out the gender of the body. I don't know how they know that for sure so quickly, unless the body is of a different race or gender.

Seems odd that Facebook could scoop the news that the person was definitely not Susan, before tv and papers could even find out the gender of the body. I don't know how they know that for sure so quickly, unless the body is of a different race or gender.

Or different age, different hair color/length or it could be remains in a later stage of decomposition that was Susan would be in.

Family was in contact with LE. That is how they scooped TV and the papers.

From the missing person's list there is only one other missing girl from that area last year: Madeline Baker, age 17, runway. Last seen at her high school in Provo last September, which is 17 miles from where Canyon road splits to Right Hand Fork.
Madeline is 4'10", 108 lbs, and from the photo she has hair quite a bit longer than Susan's. She was wearing charcoal slacks, black top, black shoes and had a black back pack. Wearing silver necklace. Scar on right elbow.
Whoever this person is who was found this afternoon, my heart goes out to her/him and the family.

It is a popular recreational spot, and isnt far from the road so I would think the chances of the person having been there since September would be less likely than someone who has been there not very long. It is so sad that there are so many missing people, and unsolved cases.

SPRINGVILLE — Sheriff's deputies have confirmed that the body of a 25- to 35-year-old woman was found by hikers in Hobble Creek Canyon on Sunday.

The call came in to Utah County Sheriff's dispatchers about 4:10 p.m. that a body was found on the side of the road about 3 to 4 miles from the mouth of the canyon. Investigators are calling the circumstances "suspicious" but wouldn't disclose details.

Investigators have been trying to reach the body by snowmobile or hiking for removal.

When asked whether the body could be that of Susan Powell the missing West Valley City mother of two, Utah County Sheriff's Sgt. Spencer Cannon said they're pretty certain the body is not that of Powell, who has been gone for more than two months.

"It's not connected to any missing person cases that we know about at this time," he said.

More information will be posted on deseretnews.com as it becomes available.

— Lana Groves

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...eek-Canyon-unlikely-that-of-Susan-Powell.html

When asked whether the body could be that of Susan Powell the missing West Valley City mother of two, Utah County Sheriff's Sgt. Spencer Cannon said they're pretty certain the body is not that of Powell, who has been gone for more than two months.
"It's not connected to any missing person cases that we know about at this time," he said.
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...-found-in-Hobble-Creek-Canyon-suspicious.html

Sounds like body recovery won't be that easy. Also a comment about the ID.
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...-found-in-Hobble-Creek-Canyon-suspicious.html

(snip)
Investigators have been trying to reach the body by snowmobile or hiking for removal. Utah County Sheriff's Sgt. Spencer Cannon said the age and gender of the body is not being released yet.
When asked whether the body could be that of Susan Powell the missing West Valley City mother of two. Cannon would only say that if that is determined, they would contact authorities in West Valley.

Just thought I would map out the route to Josh's house to Hobble Creek and Pony Express where he said he was. May not be her body, but was curious to see the distances and thought I'd share for anyone else that was also interested. This is my first time doing this map stuff and posting it here, so hope I did it right!! :)

Here's the link. Does anyone know how to copy and paste it right into a message? I couldn't figure it out. The general cut and paste didn't work for me.

http://www.mapquest.com/mq/4-hbmCMll85sK2

Thanks!

Oops! Guess the map doesn't matter much now, as I am reading your posts above that suggests the body isn't Susan. Sorry!!

Oops! Guess the map doesn't matter much now, as I am reading your posts above that suggests the body isn't Susan. Sorry!!

We appreciate the work and it does not go unnoticed. Thank you.

Tricia

Maybe who ever dumped this lady did it from road since it is so hard to reach.............
female in Susan's age group............atleast we know sex and age group

LE may not give out ID til they corner Josh, you know he may pack up............

I think they haven't confirmed anything yet.. and until they do... It still could be her. I am waiting till they say it isn't for sure, because you know they will let people know with as much speculation as there is out there about this case. IMO

Just a guess, but I think if the police are feeling confident that this is not Susan - it is likely because the person was not dead for very long.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back