Identified! UT - Juab Co, WhtFem UP8382, 18-22, at Yuba Lake, Sep'78 - Marilee Bruszer

Did you ever submit Carmen? There was quite a bit of kidnapping and murder up and down the west coast in the 70's and while it sounds a bit unlikely, it doesn't sound impossible to me.

No. I didn't, I'm sorry. I hate to say it, but I was too concerned about the circumstances and I haven't had very good luck communicating with Canadian authorities about missing Canadian persons (but maybe it is just me). I could still submit her later today/tonight when I have the chance.

No. I didn't, I'm sorry. I hate to say it, but I was too concerned about the circumstances and I haven't had very good luck communicating with Canadian authorities about missing Canadian persons (but maybe it is just me). I could still submit her later today/tonight when I have the chance.

I was just curious. The circumstances are pretty far off, and I'm not sure whether I think it's a close match.

Often the ME on the UID side is more concerned about finding who the person is.

I found this article about another body found at Yuba Lake in 1991. It references this unidentified female. I've snipped the part of the article which may give us a little more information:

"It is the second unidentified body found in Juab County. Juan County Sheriff Dave Carter said another female body was found near Yuba Dam in 1978.

He said convicted killer Henry Lee Lucas told the sheriff from Millard County that he had killed the woman shortly after he killed a BYU student.

"He gave detailed information about the area where the body was found," Carter said. "I could have driven to it from the description he gave."

Lucas said the woman was a hitchhiker, Carter said. Lucas picked her up near Spanish Fork and drove to a town(Nephi?) where they ate at a cafe. Lucas then said he drove to a place where there was water on both sides of the road. Carter said the description fits Juab Lake.

Lucas said he then drove along roads that could be the roads around Yuba Dam.

"We are still convinced Lucas confessed to the murder of the woman we found near Yuba Dam," Carter said. "It bothers me to have her unidentified."

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/167695/BODY-FOUND-NEAR-YUBA-DAM-REMAINS

A while back, I got a photo of the Yuba Lake (Juab UT) Jane Doe's skull. I decided to take a shot of how she might have looked. Here's what I came up with.

cf035b7b-a63c-411b-8e3e-4c3c149ddffc.jpg

Three of the four upper incisors were missing postmortem (the #8 was the only upper incisor still there), so I had to insert a few teeth on the skull. From what I can see of the alignment and positioning of the empty sockets the upper front teeth were probably fairly straight, although her lower front teeth were very crooked. But if she had any visible anomalies in her upper teeth (such as gaps or chips), I will have gotten her teeth wrong.

She does appear to have a long face, a relatively high moderately broad nose and a strong chin and jawline. The official recon shows her chin and jawline to be about average, but as I see the skull, her jawline is strong and squarish. After I got her hair in, I realized that she was wearing a metal barette, so I should have depicted her with her hair pinned back. But I decided to leave her hair down.

A while back, I got a photo of the Yuba Lake (Juab UT) Jane Doe's skull. I decided to take a shot of how she might have looked. Here's what I came up with.

Three of the four upper incisors were missing postmortem (the #8 was the only upper incisor still there), so I had to insert a few teeth on the skull. From what I can see of the alignment and positioning of the empty sockets the upper front teeth were probably fairly straight, although her lower front teeth were very crooked. But if she had any visible anomalies in her upper teeth (such as gaps or chips), I will have gotten her teeth wrong.

She does appear to have a long face, a relatively high moderately broad nose and a strong chin and jawline. The official recon shows her chin and jawline to be about average, but as I see the skull, her jawline is strong and squarish. After I got her hair in, I realized that she was wearing a metal barette, so I should have depicted her with her hair pinned back. But I decided to leave her hair down.

Wonderful recon, Carl.

Most women with long hair (of whom I was one for most of my life) wear their hair either long or pinned back, depending on circumstances.

She does look a lot like Rose Cole, though I think maybe her jaw is squarer than Rose's.

Wonderful recon, Carl.

Most women with long hair (of whom I was one for most of my life) wear their hair either long or pinned back, depending on circumstances.

She does look a lot like Rose Cole, though I think maybe her jaw is squarer than Rose's.

This is probably unlikely based on the distance, but thought I'd throw out that she looks similar to Cindy King. Especially with CarlK's reconstruction. Her jaw line is very pronounced just like the UID's...

Cindy King: case info 1640DFOR on DoeNetwork

Attachments

• CIKing.jpg
    CIKing.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 34
  • cf035b7b-a63c-411b-8e3e-4c3c149ddffc[1].jpg
    cf035b7b-a63c-411b-8e3e-4c3c149ddffc[1].jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 4
:bump: for image revision.

Note that this reconstruction is an estimation only of the facial structure, and not necessarily of the Jane Doe's general appearance.

Also, note that the #7, #8, and #10 teeth were missing postmortem, and I drew in those three teeth to complete the skull image.

The chin on the skull looks like it's very pointed.

... And the photo of the mandible from the overhead perspective confirms that.

Are you saying the reflection on her chin is too broad?

... And the photo of the mandible from the overhead perspective confirms that.

Are you saying the reflection on her chin is too broad?

Well, not really too broad, but it looks softer than I would have expected from that bone structure. I'd have expected the bones to be more prominent both in the chin and under the cheekbones. But some women do have that soft look despite strong bone structure, so it's probably a reasonable interpretation of the skull.

That chin really looks like Rose Cole's. Don't think it's her, but I wonder if that's more like what our JD looked like through the lower part of her face?

This is probably unlikely based on the distance, but thought I'd throw out that she looks similar to Cindy King. Especially with CarlK's reconstruction. Her jaw line is very pronounced just like the UID's...

Cindy King: case info 1640DFOR on DoeNetwork

I've been looking really close at Cindy King in comparison to this Doe.

As I previously mentioned, the skull is missing the #7, #9 and #10 teeth postmortem:

Cindy's #7 is crowded behind her #6 and #8, and the Jane Doe's #7 is one of those that I added into the facial reconstruction to complete the image.

In my recon, I depicted these three teeth in alignment based only on the sockets appearing to be in alignment. But I readily admit that that might be a faulty assumption - particularly because you can't really see what direction the tooth would have pointed from the socket based on those photos alone.

Also, there appears to be a defect on the side of the Jane Doe's #6 tooth that might have been caused by a misaligned #7.

Both the skull image and Cindy's photo are pretty similar in terms of the orientation to the camera (though not exactly similar). I tried overlaying their photos, and they look pretty close within a reasonable tolerance for the slight difference in orientation.

The remaining teeth in the skull very closely align to Cindy's visible teeth in her photo. Her two upper canines (#6 & #11) and her upper right central incisor (#8) look pretty close in the overlay. I couldn't get an exact overlay on the images, but it's close enough that the difference might be attributable to the camera angle difference.

She also has a similarly broad dorsum of the nose with a very slight rightward skew, and a similarly strong chin.

The big negatives are that she doesn't have blonde hair, and she is a bit too young. But aside from that, she looks pretty close.

I'm not entirely sure that these two cases would have been subjected to an automated comparison.

Cindy's DNA profile is submitted and tests complete, according to her NamUs casefile. The Jane Doe's DNA section indicates: "Sample available - Not yet submitted "

However, both the MP and the UP have dental profiles entered, so it would seem that if this was a match, there would have been an dental hit.

Cindy also had pierced ears, so that's another slight negative, but the teeth sure look close and that trumps everything else.

With blonde head hair and light brown pubic hair, there's a possibility JD's hair is bleached. Grant's Pass to Yuba Lake is quite a haul, but it's all main roads and we know from her killer's account that she was hitching rides, and there's adequate time for her to have traveled quite a distance.

And I agree, she might not have been flagged automatically. The teeth missing postmortem might have obscured a dental match.

I kind of think it's not her, but I'd say definitely worth following up.

I'm also not seeing the same brow structure comparing CIK to the skull. CIK has more of a brow ridge, and the Jane Doe looks to have a very smoothly contoured brow.

I wish I had a little more info on the circumstances of her disappearance.

Cindy also had pierced ears, so that's another slight negative, but the teeth sure look close and that trumps everything else.

I don't think the fact that there were clip-on earrings next to the body should be used to exclude girls/women with pierced ears. Clip-ons were more widely available in the 70s. Even though we both had pierced ears, my sister and I would get into my grandmother's clip-ons. Most styles were available as clip-on or pierced, not both, so you tended to go with whatever style the earring you liked came in.

I don't think the fact that there were clip-on earrings next to the body should be used to exclude girls/women with pierced ears. Clip-ons were more widely available in the 70s. Even though we both had pierced ears, my sister and I would get into my grandmother's clip-ons. Most styles were available as clip-on or pierced, not both, so you tended to go with whatever style the earring you liked came in.

By slight negative, I did not in the least mean to imply a rule-out. And I am more than familiar with the kinds of earrings we wore in the 70's :D. It's definitely possible that she was wearing clipons despite having pierced ears, just like it's possible she bleached her hair.

I checked with a contact of mine with NamUs LE access.

Cindy King's casefile indicates that "unverified dental records are available that are thought to be Cindy King's. but until verified they will not be entered to avoid erroneous comparisons and exclusions, These records can be obtained from Josephine County Sheriff's Office if other biometrics associate this case with a unidentified person."

Incidentally, here's a Sophomore portrait of Cindy King from the 1977 Grant's Pass High School yearbook

attachment.php

Attachments

• Cindy Irene King.JPG
    Cindy Irene King.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 278

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads