Found Deceased UT - Paul Swenson, 30, American Fork, 27 July 2017

I have a family member that has some mental issues that go undiagnosed because he refused to admit to himself and others that he needs "help"! He doesn't want it on "paper' that he has a mental illness. In the past psychiatrists have thrown around the terms "schizophrenia" "OCD" Schizoaffective disorder"... Anyway it seems like he is up and down and back again every year! When he starts going "down" he deletes all of his social media accounts and shuts off the modem... Last year after one of the times he deleted all his social media he took off with no word to anyone! Just left in November and was gone until May!!! He never called his parents as he was afraid that they would lock him up in a psychiatric hospital and throw away the key!! He didn't have a car at that time! He basically just hung around in the town over at gas stations,coffee shops,train stations,etc! A local bus driver that he ended up befriending even gave him money for a train ticket and he took a train to LA! 3,000 MILES AWAY! He came back a few days later.. finally ended up going home to his parents and never said a word about his "trips"! The parents only knew about the train trips because they went to train station and the guy who sells the tickets knew exactly who they were looking for by his description! Just saying that maybe Paul is having a psychotic break and maybe his doctor appointment made him very scared of possibly being locked away for life in a psychiatric hospital! There is no rational thinking when a psychotic break is happening!!!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Well dang. The words "psychotic break"
are in my mind scary enough. I'm not sure I'd check myself into a hospital with people throwing those terms around.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I haven't read the complete thread yet. One picture of him reminded me of Steven Koecher. While I doubt that their disappearances are related, it certainly makes me wonder if they have any of the same connections. I have some catching up to do on this thread.

This is one of those threads that will probably move slowly from now on, as the family and LE won't release much info on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is one of those threads that will probably move slowly from now on, as the family and LE won't release much info on this one.

All I'd need to know is he's alive and safe.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I have wondered if Paul has been going through something similar myself, particularly with how his wife and LE described his behavior. After the confirmed sighting on Friday there has been no trace of him anywhere. Could he have been confused about who he is or was, and could this have led to him to some kind of harm? So many scenarios... All I want is for him to show up safe somewhere. The longer this goes on, it isn't looking good.

In a Facebook group called "Bring Paul Home," Swenson's family posted Thursday that they would be scaling back the volunteer efforts to find him. Family and friends had orchestrated large volunteer searches in Salt Lake County and volunteers had hung missing posters all throughout the Salt Lake and Utah valleys.*

"At this time, we have been advised to temporarily suspend the mass public searches at the command center," an Aug. 3 Facebook post from Swenson's family said. "And we are in the process of meeting with the authorities to determine the next course of action. We are following up on every lead in real time with a group of family and friends searching day and night."

Sgt. Josh Christensen with the American Fork Police Department said the department is still actively investigating Swenson's disappearance.*

<modsnip>

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/loc...cle_68e773b8-4852-5c7e-9014-8c25c75ad780.html

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

I can only get about 70%. I'm including the spanish and my translations in case anyone wants to review for accuracy. JMO.

... su carro fue encontrado cerca de la novecientos sur y la novecientos west (his car was found near the 900 South and 900 West?)

y su telefono celular se encontraba cerca de la tienda de autopartes en las ??? quatro mil seis cientos ochenta y novecientos east el mismo jueves (and his cellphone was found near the auto parts store in the ??? at 4680 and 900 East that same Thursday)

se acuerdo que la ultima conversacion que tuvo con su esposa, ella comente que ??? manera extran~a y sospecha que el tuve alguna crisis mental. (they know? that the last conversation was with his spouse, she commented that ??? strange manner and suspects that he had some mental crisis).

la policia ha declarado que no hay signos de uso de drogas ilicitas ... (police have declared that there are no signs of use of illicit drugs) ...

Hi, there,
I can complete the translation you got started.

The newscast said:

[Bla bla bla welcome back from the commerical break...]

The search for Paul Swenson, who disappeared from him home in American Fork last Thursday, has been extended across the entire Salt Lake Valley.

His car was found near 900 South and 900 West and his cellphone was found near an auto parts store in the vicinity of 4860 South 900 East that same Thursday.

According to the last conversation with his wife, she commented that she saw him act in a strange manner and she suspects that he was having some sort of mental crisis.

The police have said that there are no signs of illicit drug use or relations with gangs.

I have been watching this from random sites this last week from my son's hospital bed. (from a phone I have had for a little over week)
Researching articles, reading the blogs, etc. There is so much information out there that IMHO makes me believe he planned to walk away from his life weeks ago. Not just closing down his SM accounts, which is verified. I have been trying to re-find the links to an article on Paul's brother and family actions immediately after finding out that Paul was missing. Then other activities weeks prior to deleting his SM accounts. I wish I could find them, because it left me with an "ah ha!" feeling. My hope is he just does not want to be found. While this is sad for his loved ones, yes, it isn't the first time someone has walked away from everything and never look back.

There seems to be a chiropractor in that little strip, but the "acute condition" could be anything. If he's driving himself to to appointment, and family knew this, and he took the family car (the super nice car), I don't think it's unreasonable to assume whatever it was did not have him mentally impaired. He could have had a slipped disk or something like that. Been in a lot of pain? I mean, "acute condition"... who knows?

So sad... I hope he's found soon. Locals, is it a decent area? All of what I saw in salt lake was gorgeous, but every town has its bad spots. Maybe someone could have targeted him because of the car? I want to know what suspicious circumstances means. Was the car cleaned out? Was the door left open? Where the keys in it? They are not giving up much.

I believe the suspicious circumstances are clothes and backpack that wasnt his, door left open and keys in it or on the tire. They also said there was alcohol and then changed it and said there wasn't.
There seems to be a chiropractor in that little strip, but the "acute condition" could be anything. If he's driving himself to to appointment, and family knew this, and he took the family car (the super nice car), I don't think it's unreasonable to assume whatever it was did not have him mentally impaired. He could have had a slipped disk or something like that. Been in a lot of pain? I mean, "acute condition"... who knows?

So sad... I hope he's found soon. Locals, is it a decent area? All of what I saw in salt lake was gorgeous, but every town has its bad spots. Maybe someone could have targeted him because of the car? I want to know what suspicious circumstances means. Was the car cleaned out? Was the door left open? Where the keys in it? They are not giving up much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

UPD assisting in search for missing American Fork man

MURRAY — While a missing American Fork man’s family scaled back its search last week, authorities said Tuesday they are now eyeing his last known location in Murray as the search for the missing man continues.

Paul Swenson, 30, was last seen leaving his home in American Fork on July 27, though police said on July 28 his phone was last pinged near 4700 South and 900 East in the Murray area and his vehicle was found in the Salt Lake City’s Glendale neighborhood.

“As far as the police portion of the investigation, it has not been scaled back at all,” said American Fork Police Sgt. Josh Christensen.
Unified police are now assisting in searches near the area Swenson was last known to possibly be. Other than that, it remains a mystery for authorities searching for the man.
Unified Police Lt. Ken Hansen said a detective within the department has been assigned to the case and officers have interviewed people he might be associated with in the area. He said officers have been trying to put together "bits and pieces" of the case.

Police have been conducting active searches in the central Salt Lake Valley area, and officers have been instructed to be on alert for Swenson, Christensen added.
https://www.ksl.com/?sid=45342449&nid+148

I'm going to guess that Paul is fine and hiding out considering he was seen riding a bike on Friday, the day after the car was found! If I took off for a couple days for a break from family and within a few days glowing billboards had my picture all over the place, I'd stay hidden too! Probably partying!! Maybe he worked for aaron!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

That little strip mall where his appointment was (or where is phone was) is in Murray, which is a perfectly decent city/neighborhood. Some parts of Murray are cuter than others, but overall, it's a perfectly fine area. Suburban, but not too far from Salt Lake City proper - it is an older suburb, some parts of it are quite historic.

His car was found in the Glendale neighborhood of Salt Lake City. A lot of people would say that is a bad part of town, but that isn't really accurate (it was likely tougher in the past). Most people have a certain view of the west side neighborhoods and they have a perceived reputation.

Glendale is a lower income neighborhood, with a large population of working class minority and immigrant families. Most parts of Glendale are actually pretty cute, with older, family-oriented streets and homes. If you look at the stats, crime is Glendale is actually lower than other neighborhoods in SLC near downtown - for example, many people would say that the Liberty Wells neighborhood is nicer, but crime there right now is quite high. Parts of Glendale may look a bit more run down or working class, due to average incomes, but it is generally safe and most of the homes are nicely maintained.

Parkview Elementary is in the northern part of Glendale; immediately north of Glendale is Poplar Grove, which is the poorest SLC neighborhood and does have a probably higher than average crime rate.

Where there was a last sighting of him, at 2900 Main Street, was in South Salt Lake, the city/suburb immediately south of Salt Lake City proper. Also more working class, maybe has slightly higher crime. I haven't spent much time there; I usually drive through on my way to other places. I know a lot of people who rag on South Salt Lake, but I can't tell how much of what they say is accurate or how much of what they say reflects the fact that South Salt Lake is not really a cool neighborhood and is also poorer.

I'd also note that I feel like "higher crime" in Salt Lake City is not really that high, especially compared to a lot of other areas.

I cannot rely solely on his partner's claims. They are only claims at this point. Why was he driving her car, maybe the seat was in the wrong position for him to drive. Maybe there was a fight at home; we do not know the truth here at all. No one is above and beyond the law just because of their religion. I am disturbed about the car not being his car, I'm disturbed about the money for funding and I'm disturbed that his partner is the only one who has described his behavior as "off" and how he had been portrayed and discussed in social media. I believe there is something really wrong here; and he wasn't driving his car. His prior timeline is for me at this point; unknown. <modsnip>. Correct, this reminds me of N. Fransisco case. The detail around the time he "went missing" are sketchy to me. No apologies, just my blatant opinion. Not an attack; but a confirmation that we don't know exactly what happened in the home on that day <modsnip>. Period. And it's not his car. Not his stuff. Fishy.

I'm curious why there is so little info being shared. In most missing persons cases LE and the family usually shares as much as possible in hopes that it will help in finding the missing person. Obviously they have their reasons, but I think that's why people are extra curious and why that FB group went off the rails. Seems like the less info people get, the more they will make things up or start crazy rumors.

Hope he's found soon.

Did I miss something about his partner? Anyone have a link for that?

His disappearance reminds me a lot of Bryce Laspisa here in California. Acting strange. Car abandoned. Still missing (coming up on 4 years missing.)

People are split on what they think happened to him also....voluntarily missing or deceased.

I hope there is a much quicker resolution here for PS's family.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisminto
Back