UT UT - Reed Jeppson, 15, Salt Lake City, 11 Oct 1964

Sup all?

Here is a blog with more thoughts on Reed's disappearance. Note the wrong date of October 12, 1964. (instead of October 11,) Some sites have this date, because in those days you often had to wait 12 hours to report a missing person. Before that you were considered a "runaway." Some thoughts I take from the link:

1.) The possibility of a hit and run accident. Driver panicked, and hid the body?

2.) Reed struggled with sexuality issues, or the repetitiveness of going to church so often, or abuse by someone at the church and could not find a way to tell his strict Mormon family that he wanted out of the church, so he ran away.

That strange man who was probably a customer on Reed/Jon's paper route, still stands out to me.

Satch

Does anyone know if it's possible to get plans if property boundaries from Salt Lake City in 1964.
I'm aware that the Jeppson property was much much larger than it appears on maps now but without the plans can't see who their property backed into.
If it is possible can someone point me in the right direction?

I agree, it's not one of the angles that I have looked into much (until now). But it definitely requires more consideration.
To start with though I think we should establish one thing, if Reed's disappearance was related to a sexual assault then it definitely was NOT a paedophile. Despite the media (and often LE too) referring to anyone who commits a sexual act with a minor as a paedophile this is not the case. A paedophile specifically targets pre-pubescent children (13 years is the maximum age range). I do think it is an important distiction because the M.O. of a paedophile will be very different to the M.O. of someone targetting a mid-late teens. We are not looking at some creep hanging around playgrounds waiting to snatch little kids. No, this person will likely have played a longer game, potentially grooming and building a relationship with his victims.
So below I have tried to build a potentil profile of what I think this person would have been like. This is based on an attack that may have had a sexual motive, rather than just outright murder.

Ok so I think there are 2 possible personality types that we are dealing with here, either:
1) A person who has an uncontrollable, probably violent, sexual desire for young men/teens
OR​
2) A gay man, who, for some reason, is unable to meet men of his own age/sexual preference and therefore possibly uses his position to seduce young men/teens.

Now with option 1 I would expect to have seen more crimes of this nature committed in the area, or similar crimes elsewhere (potentially there was a serial violent rapist and murderer and the links have just not been picked up as being committed by 1 person)
With option 2 (which I personally feel is more likely) I think that we may be looking at a gay man who was unable to express his sexuality for some reason such as: he was married, he lived with his parents, he was high up in the church. He may have been in a position of authority (teacher, coach, priest, scout leader...) and used this position to seduce young men. If this is the case then murder was probably not the aim of an encounter with Reed, but something happened that led to Reed's death.

Concentrating on option 2, I have tentatively created the below potential profile:
  • Almost certainly male
  • Gay, but not openly. Apart from the year being a major factor I think there was something else that prevented this person meeting other men in the usual ways that they did in 1964, so this person may have been:
-Married
-Lived with parents/family
-High up in the church​
  • I think they are aged between 20-40 and most likely 25-35. This is because I think they needed to be young enough to have something in common with the young men but also be older than them.​
  • This person would have been local and was most probably on Reed's paper round. Reed would have known this person well enough to engage in conversation and possibly was even Reed's coach, scout leader, teacher, a friend's parent or another person in a position of authority.​
  • I think it is likely that this person had previously had sexual contact with other young men in the area(possibly even Reed's friends). These encounters may have gone unreported because either the boys were too embarrassed or they had been willing (either they were gay themselves, they had been seduced or had been willing participants)-this happens alot more than is generally realised/reported amongst young men especially with confused and sexually active teens.​
  • This person probably had something he used as an opener to talk to and get close to the young men, so for instance he may have had- a cool car, expensive music system, animals, *advertiser censored* magazines or possibly a camera (it was very common for someone to show their camera, offer to take modelling photos and then use this as a means to initiate sexual contact-in fact I believe a couple if serial killers used this technique)​
  • I think this person had to have their own vehicle OR a property with alot of land. Because Reed was either transported elsewhere to some very secluded spot, or was buried on the grounds of someone's home.​
Anyway, if we imagine Reed being lured into this guys house for whatever reason. But it did not go as planned. Possibly Reed refused any advances and threatened to expose this man and was murdered as a result. There could also be many other scenarios; for instance this person could have used drugs on Reed which killed him.

We also need to consider the theory that Reed went willingly to meet this person and had met them before; it may explain Jon's/Reed's friend's behaviour. You would think they would want to name the person, unless it was more important to protect Reed's memory from any action perceieved as damaging to him/the family.

Reed may also have been sex-trafficked (although I don't know if this was even a thing in the 60's?)
Great write up! What about the perp had (a) dog(s) and therefore a mutual interest.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get plans if property boundaries from Salt Lake City in 1964.
I'm aware that the Jeppson property was much much larger than it appears on maps now but without the plans can't see who their property backed into.
I don't live in Utah, but there may be something similar there. I was able to see property deeds to my house and the surrounding lots online for free through my county's registry of deeds going back over a hundred years. I was able to search by using the names of the people I bought it from, and from there, just followed the trail backwards.

You could start here if you have the address:

The Salt Lake Recorder's Office only has ownership back to when the current owners purchased the property in 1996. Someone would need to physically go down and search the books to see where the property lines were in 1964 when Reed disappeared. We do know their backyard was described as a huge field, with the dog kennel being quite a way from the house. Perhaps someone can remind me how far away they were. I took the liberty of going to the parcel map website (Assessor Parcel Viewer) which shows the current lot lines. The original Jeppson home is outlined in yellow. I added the red showing the lot lines of the adjacent houses and when they were built. If the Jeppsons had a huge lot out back, they must have sold off the land to the north of them, or perhaps they just used the field until houses were built. One quickly notices how old the surrounding houses are in comparison (1930's-1940's). If Reed kept his dogs by Emigration Creek, could that have irritated one of those older neighbors? Not much worse than a barking dog in the middle of the night as someone (Satch) has pointed out. And does anyone know where the dog bones were discovered? That would be a huge clue.
1692326126529.jpeg

Perhaps someone can remind me how far away they were.
Apparently the dogs were kept about 200 yards away from the main house. Whereabouts would this place them in relations to the modern property lines? In who's property I mean basically.

The Salt Lake Recorder's Office only has ownership back to when the current owners purchased the property in 1996. Someone would need to physically go down and search the books to see where the property lines were in 1964 when Reed disappeared. We do know their backyard was described as a huge field, with the dog kennel being quite a way from the house. Perhaps someone can remind me how far away they were. I took the liberty of going to the parcel map website (Assessor Parcel Viewer) which shows the current lot lines. The original Jeppson home is outlined in yellow. I added the red showing the lot lines of the adjacent houses and when they were built. If the Jeppsons had a huge lot out back, they must have sold off the land to the north of them, or perhaps they just used the field until houses were built. One quickly notices how old the surrounding houses are in comparison (1930's-1940's). If Reed kept his dogs by Emigration Creek, could that have irritated one of those older neighbors? Not much worse than a barking dog in the middle of the night as someone (Satch) has pointed out. And does anyone know where the dog bones were discovered? That would be a huge clue.
OnView attachment 441607
Am I seeing this correctly? The house on the property that borders the backyard of the Jeppson home was built in 1964, the same year Reed disappeared?

If so, how far along was this construction in October? How close was the dog's enclosure to this construction? I assume it was heavily checked by law enforcement, but that really stands out to me.

Am I seeing this correctly? The house on the property that borders the backyard of the Jeppson home was built in 1964, the same year Reed disappeared?

If so, how far along was this construction in October? How close was the dog's enclosure to this construction? I assume it was heavily checked by law enforcement, but that really stands out to me.
Yep that's correct. Wherever Reed went that was 200yds from the house he had to ,by force, cross into this plot which used to be the Jeppsons backyard but had been sold. Its most likely he still kept the dogs there until the house was completed.
Haven't been able to find anything saying when the house was completed more specific than 1964. And according to directories the house wasn't occupied until 1966 as far as I can tell.

Yep that's correct. Wherever Reed went that was 200yds from the house he had to ,by force, cross into this plot which used to be the Jeppsons backyard but had been sold. Its most likely he still kept the dogs there until the house was completed.
Haven't been able to find anything saying when the house was completed more specific than 1964. And according to directories the house wasn't occupied until 1966 as far as I can tell.
Wow! Very interesting. I wonder if the developer or contractor's info could still be found.

Is this something that has been well-established as apart of the case narrative? I've either missed or forgotten it while researching this case, if so.

Fantastic research, btw.

I don't think the 200 yards is correct. I measure about 435 feet or 145 yards from the house to the furthest point of where the older houses sit. I'm thinking more like 200 feet. Didn't someone say their backyard was like a football field (100 yards/300 feet)? Still, Reed would have been traveling across the new home site to visit the dogs. That could have angered someone.

Attachments

• browning2.JPG
    browning2.JPG
    322.7 KB · Views: 7
I don't think the 200 yards is correct. I measure about 435 feet or 145 yards from the house to the furthest point of where the older houses sit. I'm thinking more like 200 feet. Didn't someone say their backyard was like a football field (100 yards/300 feet)? Still, Reed would have been traveling across the new home site to visit the dogs. That could have angered someone.
I remember measuring this myself earlier in the thread. I'm not used to yards as a measurement but when I measured 200 yards on the map it meant Reed's dogs were kept like ...in someone else's house! So i double checked and Jon in his YouTube video definitely said Reed kept his little dogs about 200 yards from the house.
Since this is an estimate he could be off, I'm not sure how easy 200 yards would be to estimate?

Your map is the most believable measurement, you can clearly see that takes him right to the creek and the supposed limits of their property and as yiu say...wherever he went he would have to cross she property of the new build on Kirstie Lane.
So, that could seriously p*** of someone, Reed constantly traipsing over my new property...but surely you'd gonspeak to the parents first?
OR
thinking about why Reed kept his dogs so far away from his own house...could it be that they barked a lot and it drove the Jeppsons crazy? Someone earlier had posted the sound of these dogs and they have a pretty loud barking. Could it be that they just didn't think about their neighbours in this? Again you'd think the neighbour woukd just speak to the parents....unless they already had!

I remember there were some issues with some of the facts as Jon remembered them on his video. Perhaps as a kid it seemed like 200 yards, but in reality, it might have been less. As a child everything seemed bigger. This map is far from scientifically accurate, but the top of the circle should be close to 200 yards.

Attachments

• browning3.JPG
    browning3.JPG
    323.1 KB · Views: 8
I remember there were some issues with some of the facts as Jon remembered them on his video. Perhaps as a kid it seemed like 200 yards, but in reality, it might have been less. As a child everything seemed bigger. This map is far from scientifically accurate, but the top of the circle should be close to 200 yards.
Haha yeah I don't think he was keeping the dogs that far away! I think Jon just imagined the measurement wrong, which is very common to overestimate things. I think uour first map above accurately portrays where the dogs were likely kept.

MOD NOTE:

A large number of posts have been removed due to rules violations. Reminder from Etiquette & Information page, linked below this post:

"Websleuths does not condone members becoming personally involved in cases by initiating contact with family members, friends, case players, law enforcement, or the media. This does not preclude responding to a request for volunteers, or utilizing proper channels to report valid information, i.e., "a tip", to law enforcement.

If you submit a tip to law enforcement, do NOT announce it or discuss it in any way on the threads. Doing so has the potential to undermine an investigation.

Please review the links below this post if you need a refresher.

Crime Junkie Podcast released an episode about Reed's disappearance. It's worth a listen if you follow his case.

Episode Summary​

Reed Jeppson, a Salt Lake City teen, went outside to feed his dogs one Sunday afternoon in 1964 – and vanished, with the dogs, into thin air. Decades later, his heartbroken family still has so many unanswered questions.

1699450147767.png1699450171609.png1699450162846.png

You need to listen to it... so crazy. I remember now how you were following his case. I listened to it last night while making dinner. I feel for his family.
I'm listening now! So far confirms the stuff that his nephew had told me.

That photo of the property in 1965 is so interesting, it really shows how huge the Jeppson property was.

And now it makes sense why I could never locate the family living around Reed's family! They didn't live there then, they moved in after!

Very interesting and I think this confirms that Reed is still probably there in that garden! Which is even more sad!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back