UT UT - Reed Jeppson, 15, Salt Lake City, 11 Oct 1964

So the paedophile doctor who Suzanne had mentioned and the local paedophile that we had found out LE had interviewed were actually the same person! All the various strands in Reed's case are starting to come together!

So the paedophile doctor who Suzanne had mentioned and the local paedophile that we had found out LE had interviewed were actually the same person! All the various strands in Reed's case are starting to come together!
Yes! I need to re read this thread about everything. They were asking on the podcast if anyone listening had any weird interactions with this doctor in the Salt Lake City area, to contact law enforcement.

In case anyone can dig anything up, the below are the Jeppson's neighbours from the 1965 directory. Below is Browning Avenue. However, the house that was being constructed at the back was more likely to have been on Kristie Lane which abbutted their garden. Also below.
BROWNING AVENUE:
1699458559829.png

KRISTIE LANE:
1699458788319.png1699458818523.png

I have annotated the map for ease of reference. As can be seen it was 1364 Kristie La under costruction at the time and while 1355 is listed in the directory it wasn't built when this photo was taken. These 2 properties would be my guess as the most likely as being under construction and also they back onto the Jeppson house via that huge area of open ground around the gully.
1699459645643.png

So, who moved in? These are the names in the 1968 directory

1699460176491.png

So I personally believe our suapect is John Nathaniel Henrie who lived at the newly constructed 1364 Kristie Lane, backing right onto the Jeppson property. He was the same age as the podcast claimes and he also died in 2016, when the podcast said. He also had a wife who died in the eighties, again that matches. Her name was Joyce Elaine Rich Henrie. If someone can find that she committed suicide then it's a match. Below are his and her obituaries:

Here's the kicker....John Henrie on his grave marker has MD next to his name...he was a doctor. (As was his wife coincidentally). And here is is listed as a surgeon:
1699461185025.png

I believe we have our man. He was investigated by police at the time and also is now dead so I believe I am allowed to name him here? If not I apologise.

I would love to find out what other property he owned and also basically anything about him that we could use to learn where Reed may have ended up. It seems that the basement of the property and the backyard had been searched.

Wow...

Attachments

• 1699459318163.png
    1699459318163.png
    395.1 KB · Views: 4
Here is a link to his profile on FamilySearch. If you do to the bottom someone has written some life facts. One of whoch is that he was an orthopedic surgeon....Confirmed. I think this is the guy who killed Reed.

It seems fantastically unlikely that the canine remains found in the neighbors yard are NOT Reed's dogs. Where is Reed? Without more information, I'd have to pick the Dr. as the most likely suspect and probably the only suspect. The canine remains also remove almost all doubt for me that Reed somehow made it several miles from home and some tragedy befell him in the foothills or he met a random stranger that killed him. There also seems to be no reason for him to just run away from home.

How sad for his family that after all this time his remains haven't been found and his family has had no answers and no justice.

There are 2 probable scenarios as I see it.
1) Something sexual. Dr Henrie is visiting his land and construction site and encounters Reed and lures him somehwere in a predatory way. He has form for sexual abuse of young boys so this would fit in. But I don't know why this had to end in the deaths of the dogs as well or how they fit in to this scenario? Perhaps a feigned interest in the dogs was how he lured Reed somewhere.

2) Some altercation happened, perhaps Dr Henrie was angry that the dogs had been allowed on his property. What resulted was the death of Reed and his dogs. This again seems a bit farfetched; wouldn't you just ask the Jeppson's to keep the dogs on their own property rather than murdering a young boy and their owner?

Although the basement seems to have been searched, there's still the possibilty he is buried somewhere on the property of 1364 Kirstie Lane. I would be very intgerested to learn how far along the construction of this propert was at the time Reed disappeared. Like were the foundations poured yet? And what other structures went up. Current maps show a gazebo structure in the backyard, how long has it been there?

I am also interested in the suicide of his first wife, who was a psychologist btw. Did she know some dark secret?

Can anyone think of any ways to check into other property thsi man may have owned, or parents property for instance...somewhere where he would have been able to dispose of a body. I checked his workplace but it is a medical centre downtown so unlikely. I personally think they are still right next to the Jeppson's property as it would have been easier to dispose of them there I guess. Same as the dog bones. ...and that is even more disturbing because it means that all the time the family were searching, Reed was literally buried in their backyard!!!

I'm listening now! So far confirms the stuff that his nephew had told me.

That photo of the property in 1965 is so interesting, it really shows how huge the Jeppson property was.

And now it makes sense why I could never locate the family living around Reed's family! They didn't live there then, they moved in after!

Very interesting and I think this confirms that Reed is still probably there in that garden! Which is even more sad!
WOW!

I will be checking this out later today!!! Can't wait!!!

Satch

There are 2 probable scenarios as I see it.
I did think of a third scenario. That whoever was building the house was responsible? They had perhaps previously befriended Reed and used this to lure him.
However, this happened on a Sunday so I doubt there were any construction workers on site.

I did think of a third scenario. That whoever was building the house was responsible? They had perhaps previously befriended Reed and used this to lure him.
However, this happened on a Sunday so I doubt there were any construction workers on site.
I really think 100% it's the doctor.

Satch

2) Some altercation happened, perhaps Dr Henrie was angry that the dogs had been allowed on his property. What resulted was the death of Reed and his dogs. This again seems a bit farfetched; wouldn't you just ask the Jeppson's to keep the dogs on their own property rather than murdering a young boy and their owner?
Hey,

I think the barking of Reed's dogs, dogs pooping in the doctor's yard, possibly damaging flowers, landscape and other outside structure, may have upset the doctor over a long period of time. It was a combination of many things. The doctor could have constantly heard Reed's dogs barking late at night.
The podcast also told us that Reed had a strong condition where if he wanted to keep the dogs, he would have to take full care of them. The doctor might have complained to Reed's parents. They said, those are Reed's dogs, he is responsible for them.

Satch

The doctor could have constantly heard Reed's dogs barking late at night.
Buuuut....the doctor didn't live there at the time of Reed's disappearance. The house was still under construction. I thought the barking dogs theory was strong, but only to people living there.
There may have been some damage to the property or even footprints in cement perhaps that the doctor noticed while he was inspecting the property on that Sunday? Though I believe that Reed's dogs were kept in cages.

Hmmm OK how about this. Reed treated those like his children, he'd do anything for them. He let them out for a run and whatever happened that doctor injured or kicked or killed one. An argument ensued and he couldn't let Reed leave and tell everyone he'd murdered a puppy. He got rid of both dogs and Reed as well.

Buuuut....the doctor didn't live there at the time of Reed's disappearance. The house was still under construction. I thought the barking dogs theory was strong, but only to people living there.
There may have been some damage to the property or even footprints in cement perhaps that the doctor noticed while he was inspecting the property on that Sunday? Though I believe that Reed's dogs were kept in cages.

Hmmm OK how about this. Reed treated those like his children, he'd do anything for them. He let them out for a run and whatever happened that doctor injured or kicked or killed one. An argument ensued and he couldn't let Reed leave and tell everyone he'd murdered a puppy. He got rid of both dogs and Reed as well.
Yes,

I wonder how long after Reed vanished, did the doctor move into the house?

Satch

Maybe he was doing something to Reed and the dogs were trying to protect him. The man kills the dogs to stop them from interfering or to keep control of Reed. He may have used Reeds love for the dogs over him. i.e “do what I say and the dogs will be safe.” My only issue with this is he must have taken him to a second location. He wouldn’t have had time to do whatever he did and kill and dismember those dogs. I’m sure if the family noticed movement at the construction site after noticing that Reed was missing they would swing by to ask if he had seen him. Especially since the doctor wouldn’t have knows how long it would take for someone to come looking. He would have had to have put Reed and the dogs somewhere until he could have disposed of them.

Yes,

I wonder how long after Reed vanished, did the doctor move into the house?

Satch
The podcast said a few months and in the 1965 directory the house is still listed as under construction. I'm not sure when the information for the directory was gathered but zillow says the house was constructed in 1964.....my guess therefore would be early part of 1965.

My only issue with this is he must have taken him to a second location. He wouldn’t have had time to do whatever he did and kill and dismember those dogs. I’m sure if the family noticed movement at the construction site after noticing that Reed was missing they would swing by to ask if he had seen him. Especially since the doctor wouldn’t have knows how long it would take for someone to come looking. He would have had to have put Reed and the dogs somewhere until he could have disposed of
That's a good point! We don't know how advanced the construction of the house was, though I'd imagine the basement was built (this house btw has a huge basement ...I'd imagine the same basement with all the surgical equipment found later). Also woukd the house have been connected to electricity yet? On the one hand it gets dark earlier in October so he might not have been seen. But on the other hand, you can't dissect someone in the dark?!
Also remember there were no fences or walls, the backyards were essentially a big shared field. He could have been easily spotted.

I am convinced that whatever went down happened in that sem constructed house.

Though he would have been fine at the property on Sunday, but by Monday surely the builders would be back?

I'd love to get the construction records for thst house. Can they be gotten?

I still think controlling 2 dogs a teen boy would have been too hard for a spur of the moment attack? Could this have been planned in advance?

Hi Everyone, I just wanted to highlight on a side by side the old aerial shot versus today's where Reed would have been headed that day.
So, Jon had said that Reed kept the dogs "200 yds from the house", I think we disproved this earlier in the thread as it would have meant the dogs were too far away. I think Jon meant 200 feet. The below highlights 200 feet away from the house (Dr Henrie's house highlighted by a gree dot in the B&W shot). As you can see, Reed must have kept his pets somewhere approximately at the end of one of those black lines. As can be seen from the property boundaries posted below, most of this land was owned by Dr Henrie at this point.

1699522123659.png

The green line is the Jeppson property. The red line is Dr Henrie's property.
1699522715378.png

It seems to me that maybe the Jeppson's either used to own this land and sold it. Or they never owned that parcel of land BUT because it was vacant and there was no one living there the land was used by them to keep their animals. There were neither fences nor walls at this time and everyone could access that back field by the creek, it was all pretty open.

Is it possible that Henrie took great exception to the animals being kept on his property. we don't actually lnow if there had already been a conforntation between him and the Jeppsons, although according to Suzanne they had very little to do with him.

I don't know. I believe that Reed HAD to go onto Dr Henrie's property to feed the dogs and probably let them out for a run. But I don't know if that is enough reason to kill him!! The sexual angle seems the most likely I suppose.

<modsnip - speculation outside the bounds of the known facts of the case>

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, @Ciriii57, you've been busy since I checked in last!

Did the dogs bark incessantly during construction? Maybe the Jeppson's couldn't/didn't hear them barking, but with the close proximity of the kennel to the Kristie Lane house it could have been a contentious issue for the construction workers and new owners. Here's something to consider: the Henrie's lived at 1744 Rosecrest Dr before the Kristie house was finished. I don't know if they rented or owned it (maybe someone local could visit the assessor's office and find out). The Rosecrest house is .5 miles from the Jeppson home, a mere three-minute drive, and located on the southwest side of Clayton Middle School (very close to the previously mentioned gully). Logic would indicate that the new owners would visit the construction site frequently to check progress. Imagine building your dream house and having the neighbors' dogs barking at you every time you visited. Annoying. Maddening.

The Polk business directory indicates the Rosecrest address as the home address for the Henrie's in 1964 and 1965. The 1966 version shows an updated Kristie Lane address. By the time those directories were printed, they were most likely out of date since it would take nine months or so to update the information prior to printing. A trip to the assessor's office could answer when the Kristie Lane house was 1st inhabited, but the Henrie's could have moved into Kristie Lane and still maintained the Rosecrest address for a while and shuffled between the two houses, especially if they owned both.

Wow, @Ciriii57, you've been busy since I checked in last!

Did the dogs bark incessantly during construction? Maybe the Jeppson's couldn't/didn't hear them barking, but with the close proximity of the kennel to the Kristie Lane house it could have been a contentious issue for the construction workers and new owners. Here's something to consider: the Henrie's lived at 1744 Rosecrest Dr before the Kristie house was finished. I don't know if they rented or owned it (maybe someone local could visit the assessor's office and find out). The Rosecrest house is .5 miles from the Jeppson home, a mere three-minute drive, and located on the southwest side of Clayton Middle School (very close to the previously mentioned gully). Logic would indicate that the new owners would visit the construction site frequently to check progress. Imagine building your dream house and having the neighbors' dogs barking at you every time you visited. Annoying. Maddening.

The Polk business directory indicates the Rosecrest address as the home address for the Henrie's in 1964 and 1965. The 1966 version shows an updated Kristie Lane address. By the time those directories were printed, they were most likely out of date since it would take nine months or so to update the information prior to printing. A trip to the assessor's office could answer when the Kristie Lane house was 1st inhabited, but the Henrie's could have moved into Kristie Lane and still maintained the Rosecrest address for a while and shuffled between the two houses, especially if they owned both.
Great catch on the former address! It's much closer than I'd imagined and that's an awful lot of Emigration Creek in between.
I would love to find out how far along the Kristie lane home was in October 64. That podcast said the Henries moved in a few months after Reed disappeared. I have no idea how long it woukd take to build such a house but I guess it must have been partially constructed by this point? I would imagine in 1964 there was less machinery and more manpower involved? Would machinery have been on site, especially considering the large basement this home had?
If it woukd help anyone the parcel number for the Kristie Lane property is
  • Parcel number: 16162280070000
I found the below information. The house has 2 basements in fact, a 1017 sq ft and a 3051 sq ft. That seems like some big basement space to me! It also has a patio.

Regarding the dogs barking. Originally I thought this was a good theory, and certainly there have been cases of people driven to murder over barking dogs. But knowing Henrie wasn't living there at the time made me think it was less of a issue at that time. I also can't belive that a person wouldn't first speak to the Jeppsons about it rather than going straight to murder.
<modsnip - no source for this info>

Last edited by a moderator:
Great catch on the former address! It's much closer than I'd imagined and that's an awful lot of Emigration Creek in between.
I would love to find out how far along the Kristie lane home was in October 64. That podcast said the Henries moved in a few months after Reed disappeared. I have no idea how long it woukd take to build such a house but I guess it must have been partially constructed by this point? I would imagine in 1964 there was less machinery and more manpower involved? Would machinery have been on site, especially considering the large basement this home had?
If it woukd help anyone the parcel number for the Kristie Lane property is
  • Parcel number: 16162280070000
I found the below information. The house has 2 basements in fact, a 1017 sq ft and a 3051 sq ft. That seems like some big basement space to me! It also has a patio.

Regarding the dogs barking. Originally I thought this was a good theory, and certainly there have been cases of people driven to murder over barking dogs. But knowing Henrie wasn't living there at the time made me think it was less of a issue at that time. I also can't belive that a person wouldn't first speak to the Jeppsons about it rather than going straight to murder.
<modsnip - no source for this info>
Also, why go to those lengths. He could have easily poisoned the dogs and no one would have known a thing. The only way that makes sense to me is if it were a spur of the moment crime and with that comes many flaws. I’d think they’d have a crime scene right at the point of contact which would have made clean up much harder. This could have been a crime of opportunity, but it must have been some what thought out.

The neighbors had moved into a home that was being built by an orthopedic surgeon at the time of Reed Jepson’s disappearance. The doctor who has not been named, would become a suspect in the disappearance and has since died

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back