Identified! UT - Tooele Co., WhtMale UP8318 17-22, Jun'76 - David Stack

Although Paul Egan's eye color is listed as blue, all of his other vital statistics look consistent with this John Doe. It even looks like he might have something on his forehead in the photo yet the discoloration could also be a bad scan or something like that, too. I'm not sure about him traveling from Florida to Utah after his disappearance but I guess that it is possible.
PGEgan.jpgutahnianofmystery.jpg
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/20414/15
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1649dmfl.html

Wow, you guys rock!! All of you!!

http://www.9news.com/story/news/local/2015/05/16/body-found-david-stack-broomfield-utah/27459221/

"TOOELE, Utah (AP) - Authorities in Utah think they finally know the identity of a man who was found dead 39 years ago near a landfill along the Nevada border.

Tooele County Sheriff Paul Wimmer says he's confident the body is that of David Stack of Broomfield, Colorado, who was 18 when he was last seen June 1, 1976, with a plan to hitchhike to California.

But Wimmer told the Deseret News newspaper of Salt Lake City*the identity won't be confirmed until the completion of DNA and dental testing."

No credit to you guys though...:(

"The case was reopened after a pair of sheriff's detectives learned new information about investigating cold cases at a conference."

"The case was reopened after a pair of sheriff's detectives learned new information about investigating cold cases at a conference."

I went to a detective's conference Dec 2014. Of course I spread the work about NamUs and the work done on Websleuths. Hmmm......

I went to a detective's conference Dec 2014. Of course I spread the work about NamUs and the work done on Websleuths. Hmmm......

Houston Mom and Carl, it is obvious when you open this thread and see when you both noticed the resemblance. Great work both of you!! I am sure, even without giving credit, you two shook the dust off of this case and gave this man his name back!

I love to see the wonderful work done by strangers with talent and love! Thanks from the bottom of my :heartbeat: !

Good looking kid. He bears a bit of resemblance to my father at that time, my father was 20, had shoulder length hair, and hitchhiked all over the country. He and a friend were even shot at once in WY or UT.

I am certain this young man did not deserve to be murdered and discarded like trash. Thank you so much for giving him his name back. I hope his family finds closure, although I am sure this is painful for them.

Great work Carl! Another UID is being identified because of your hard work. Also, NCMEC did a great job with the recon. Some of their other recons didn't look like the person, but this one is spot on.

I didn't call this one in until after Houston Mom did, so she gets credit for the solve.

Houston Mom did submit the possible match last year, but it is unclear whether LE was on to this before she submitted it, or whether they will claim credit for it without acknowledging Houston Mom's call in.

It's wonderful when someone is identified and they can go home? Has anyone been named yet as the decedent?

They have already publicly stated that they have a dental match on David Stack, but they are still in the process of confirming it with DNA testing.

I didn't call this one in until after Houston Mom did, so she gets credit for the solve.

Houston Mom did submit the possible match last year, but it is unclear whether LE was on to this before she submitted it, or whether they will claim credit for it without acknowledging Houston Mom's call in.

They have already publicly stated that they have a dental match on David Stack, but they are still in the process of confirming it with DNA testing.

Never mind -- I found it right after I posted.

eventually realized that their John Doe could well be Stack — largely because there was a "high-percentage" match between Stack's dental records and the John Doe's teeth, investigators say.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2533932-155/could-a-utah-desert-towns-john?fullpage=1

eventually realized that their John Doe could well be Stack — largely because there was a "high-percentage" match between Stack's dental records and the John Doe's teeth, investigators say.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2533932-155/could-a-utah-desert-towns-john?fullpage=1

Just for clarity, "high percentage match" on dentals means a match on the dental chart, as opposed to a match using x-rays.

It probably means that all of the 32 teeth on the dental chart for the UID agree with those on the MP dental chart in terms of whether they had fillings, missing teeth, root canals, etc. Technically, it is not a positive ID, as two persons can have identical dental charts. But it is a pretty strong indicator that they have the right person, especially of there are several teeth with dental work and they all match up on the chart.

Just for clarity, "high percentage match" on dentals means a match on the dental chart, as opposed to a match using x-rays.

It probably means that all of the 32 teeth on the dental chart for the UID agree with those on the MP dental chart in terms of whether they had fillings, missing teeth, root canals, etc. Technically, it is not a positive ID, as two persons can have identical dental charts. But it is a pretty strong indicator that they have the right person, especially of there are several teeth with dental work and they all match up on the chart.

I wondered about that, especially considering that the NamUs pages for David Stack and Tooele County John Doe were still viewable and [especially in pre-DNA days] identification can be confirmed through dental x-rays. Thanks, Carl!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeanBean
Back