VA VA - Christine Wright, 7, Dinwiddie, 12 Feb 1974

Code:
[QUOTE][quote="shadowangel, post: 2474947"][I]Sometimes they speak to us. [/I]

Its a typical [I]Deaths and Funerals[/I] article in a small-town paper. Page 12, column 3. The heart-breaking story it tells is far from typical.

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Ashboro, NC -- Christine Marie Wright, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Wright, was found dead Saturday. She had been abducted from from her home in February.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]The girl's body was found floating face down in a creek early Saturday night, a little more than two months after she disappeared from the apartment where her parents then lived.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]An autopsy indicated the child was alive when she was thrown in the water.[/SIZE][/FONT]

On the evening of February 12, 1974, Kenneth Wright and his wife Linda put 7 year-old Christine Marie to bed around 9:30. The couple and their four children were living in an apartment in Chester, VA, awaiting the completion of their new home. It was the last time the family would see the blonde-haired, blue-eyed second grader alive.
At 6:30 the next morning, Christine was gone. The apartment was locked, but they found a sliding glass door which led to a patio open. Local police were baffled by the disappearance. Kenneth stated, "We don't know of anything that was troubling her. It may have been something deeper we didn't know about". Mother Linda simply said they had had no trouble with her. A religious family, the father told reporters they were "relying on our faith and belief".
The couple seemed to be trying to reason why Christine would run away...As though the idea of Christine being kidnapped was out of the question for them. 

The only clue was a report by neighbors that they had seen a stranger in the area around 10:30 the previous night who had been chased off by dogs. The man was described as six feet tall, around 175 pounds, dark-complected with a medium-length beard. 

A nation-wide search was initiated. The FBI were reportedly following leads in CT and nearby NC. No substantial leads were developed.

On April 20th, 1974, little Christine's body was found in White Oak Creek near the town of Dinwiddie. LE stated that the killer had to have known the area, as the location where she was found was the widest and deepest section of the creek. She was found about 100 yards downstream of a bridge. Any further upstream and the creek was choked with debris and shrubbery. Christine was still dressed in the pink nightie she had been wearing the night she disappeared. LE stated it was likely she was placed in the stream the night she was kidnapped.

The VA MEs office conducted an autopsy. Little Christine had been sexually assaulted, and was alive when dumped in the creek. 
Used, then tossed aside to die.

The investigation into her death went nowhere. Suspects were interviewed, but no new information was discovered.

Two years later, in February of 1976, Christine was exhumed. A second autopsy was conducted by the VA and NC medical examiners. Newspapers speculated that there was a new lead, some new direction in the investigation. Authorities wouldn't reveal the exact reason, but stated that there was "hope there might be new information to come from the exam...(and) provide additional evidence". Her parents weren't even notified of the exhumation, instead they found out about it from relatives in NC. 

As it turns out, the reason for the exam was far more mundane. The original ME who had conducted the initial autopsy had passed away. Due to a change in VA law, if Christine's case ever made it to court, the ME's reports would not be sufficient to secure a prosecution. The ME had to testify in person, therefore the new ME conducted an additional autopsy.
No new info was discovered.

I had considered posting this case several times, but hesitated as there wasn't much "sleuthing" to be done. People would read it, think it over, then move on to the next case. However, a few days ago, I was looking up info on something completely unrelated to Christine's death. I clicked a link, and on the screen I read this.

[B][FONT=Arial]Chesterfield cold case homicides[/FONT][/B]
[SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][B]1974:[/B] Nine-year-old Christine Wright was found dead in a creek in Dinwiddie County after disappearing from her apartment on Chestertowne Road.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]I had found the Chesterfield Crime Solvers site without even realizing it. I could only think that Christine wanted us to remember.[/SIZE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Just bumping this to see if someone can think of something else to try that we haven't-or maybe come up with some connection or idea we haven't thought of-this case continues to haunt me-I wish Christie could at least have a little justice.

bumping again...I drafted another letter to the Chesterfield Crime Solvers, as the 35th anniversary of Christine's kidnapping is coming up on February 12th.

Bumping up again...Still nothing new, I was in NC back in April but couldnt locate Christine's grave.
I just don't want her to be forgotten again. :(

The following is an excerpt from a Richmond (Va) Times-Dispatch article on Everett Lee Mueller.

"...But by 1972, Mueller's behavior had tilted more violently.
He was arrested on charges of kidnapping two women on separate occasions and raping them after they were so high on drugs they were unable to resist.
After he pleaded guilty to a single charge of rape for a March 1, 1972, attack, another rape count and two kidnapping charges were dismissed.
On June 15, 1972, a Riverside Superior Court judge made the "mentally disordered sex offender" ruling, according to the case file.
The judge appointed doctors to examine Mueller and committed him to Atascadero State Hospital, a mental institution four hours north in San Luis Obispo County.
Two years later, in June 1974, Mueller returned to Superior Court and the criminal proceeding resumed. He was sentenced to five years probation on orders he be placed "under intensive supervision by a probation officer," according to the court file.
The court order also listed nine conditions, one of which was that he immediately report to his probation officer upon being released from custody.
But Mueller never reported.
On Dec. 5, 1974, a "no bail" bench warrant was issued for him for violating probation."

As I read this, he was in Atascadero from June '72 to June '74. Does anyone see any way to read that differently? If this is the case, then he can't be the person who killed Christine. Then again, the article doesn't say how long he was committed or if he returned to court directly from Atascadero... (I know, grasping at straws).

Bumping Christine's case up again, as I do from time to time.

In my years of doing this "sleuthing" thing, my deepest regret is in not being able to develop anything definitive in Christine's murder.

If the patio door was open then the person would have come in on their own they wouldn't have knocked on the door. What time did the parents go to sleep and where was there bedroom located in relation to the patio doors and their daughters room and did she share a room with any of her siblings? He/ she had to have taken her from her bedroom. Did the other kids hear anything were they even questioned? I am assuming this case is still ongoing since they have not found her killer. She was kept alive for two months? And thrown into the river alive in the same nightgown that she was wearing the night she was taken??? Does that make sense it doesnt to me and did LE keep the clothing?

Mel, she was dumped in the river around the time that she disappeared.

Someone needs to contact the family if possible, the siblings, no doubt they heard about her disappearance growing up. Maybe they know why the doors were open in the months preceding her abduction. The mother stated (in the same article that mentions the doors being open) that it was not the youngest child. If it had been Christine, wouldn't she have said so? Maybe it was a different sibling.

Small children can be deep sleepers, it isn't surprising that the young child on the couch may not have heard anything.

Maybe someone threw pebbles and hit Christine's window... that would have echoed, perhaps, towards the neighbors house but not have been heard by the parents or other kids. She came downstairs to open the door (implying that she knew or expected the person) and was grabbed, or lured out. Maybe the doors being opened previously, was someone who had lured her out before, to no ill effect, building up to the abduction? And the mother found out that "it was not the youngest child" but didn't know for sure that it was Christine?

If someone threw pebbles, or whatever, before the abduction, and were caught at it, they could have an innocent explanation handy. But, not having been caught, they finally grabbed her. If she was taken around 1:30 when the neighbor heard noise, then taken to someone's house for a few hours,, there may have been enough light to see by, to carry her slightly away from the bridge and dump her. This is kind of an awful thought... but if a person is going to abduct and rape a child, wouldn't they want a place to go to that isn't outside, near other houses? Like, inside of a van, or inside of a deserted building, or their own house? So it is entirely possible that she didn't go into the water until hours later, maybe around dawn.

This is such a sad case, and it's frightening to find out how many child abductors/rapists were in that area and time frame.

As Chrissy's mother, I am gratified that there are still people out there who care about what happened to Chris. The dog had been scolded for barking at night. There were no tapping noises the night she disappeared. My husband woke up 4:30 AM but didn't check or know what woke him. Chrissy was heard crying out "O Mommy, O Mommy around the same time behind the apts. by someone who came in from work around 4 a couple apts away. Footsteps in the snow were ignored by police. Door dusted for fingerprints 3 days later after hundreds of people had experimented with sliding door latch. One newspaper article got all the facts right, insignificant errors, except for an article written 7 years later that distorted times to make us look like liars. 15 years ago, detectives from chesterfield came to us with a "ton of circumstantial evidence" on the man who was seen in the area and in the laundry room that night. He was convicted of raping an 11 year old in NY and served 7 years. Served time in Nebraska, Texas, and Florida. Detectives did their homework and interviewed jailmates in all those places. They had a warrant for his DNA, but that was not usable in 74. His was sent to Ohio and Penn re other cases. Chrissy was not a sleepwalker, nor was her epileptic 4 year old sister. I just hoped that might be an explanation for her not being there. 4 year old frequently came down the stairs at nite, crawled up on the couch as she knew she was no longer to come to our bed She had been allowed to for awhile so we could monitor night siezure activity. Siezures were under control. She claimed not to have opened the doors. I hope this clarifies some things. Thanks for caring.

Oh, the creek was deep and very very cold. The ice was 2 inches thick on the patio that morning. It appears she was trhown off a bridge about 100 yards downstream from where she was found. She did know how to swim, but I'm sure she was already in shock having been so desecrated.

As Chrissy's mother, I am gratified that there are still people out there who care about what happened to Chris. The dog had been scolded for barking at night. There were no tapping noises the night she disappeared. My husband woke up 4:30 AM but didn't check or know what woke him. Chrissy was heard crying out "O Mommy, O Mommy around the same time behind the apts. by someone who came in from work around 4 a couple apts away. Footsteps in the snow were ignored by police. Door dusted for fingerprints 3 days later after hundreds of people had experimented with sliding door latch. One newspaper article got all the facts right, insignificant errors, except for an article written 7 years later that distorted times to make us look like liars. 15 years ago, detectives from chesterfield came to us with a "ton of circumstantial evidence" on the man who was seen in the area and in the laundry room that night. He was convicted of raping an 11 year old in NY and served 7 years. Served time in Nebraska, Texas, and Florida. Detectives did their homework and interviewed jailmates in all those places. They had a warrant for his DNA, but that was not usable in 74. His was sent to Ohio and Penn re other cases. Chrissy was not a sleepwalker, nor was her epileptic 4 year old sister. I just hoped that might be an explanation for her not being there. 4 year old frequently came down the stairs at nite, crawled up on the couch as she knew she was no longer to come to our bed She had been allowed to for awhile so we could monitor night siezure activity. Siezures were under control. She claimed not to have opened the doors. I hope this clarifies some things. Thanks for caring.

Oh, the creek was deep and very very cold. The ice was 2 inches thick on the patio that morning. It appears she was trhown off a bridge about 100 yards downstream from where she was found. She did know how to swim, but I'm sure she was already in shock having been so desecrated.

Welcome to WS-I am heartbroken at your loss. I cannot speak for anyone other than myself but Chrissy's case has haunted me for years.

Please contact Tricia Griffiths at tgrif@xmission.com so she can welcome you to WS. It is also a means of verifying people who post from inside the cases here. We will do whatever we can to maintain the spotlight on this terrible terrible tragedy.

Peace

Welcome to Websleuths. I appreciate so much your taking time to post these details and clear some things up for us.

Though I realize how inadequate the words are, I want to tell you how very, very sorrry I am about the senseless and tragic loss of your daughter. As a mother of two daughters, my mind recoils at the mere thought of something like that happening to one of them. It must have been extremely hard for you both then and now. I only wish you could have the slight comfort of knowing the monster that did this terrible evil was being punished for it. I have to believe that, no matter what happens in this life, one day he will face judgement and punishment.

As it has others members here, this awful crime has haunted me over the years. I am just a couple of years older than Chrissy would be (born in '64). I grew up in Colonial Heights and remember when it happened and how shocked and dismayed my parents and the entire community were at the time. It's just so awful that no one has been brought to justice for this.

Thank you so much for your posts and taking the time to share with us. It's probably a little wierd to come across this website and see us dissecting every little detail of the information that was reported by the newspapers at the time. We do it hopes that, by collaborating and sifting the every bit of informatiion, we might discover something in retrospect that could help bring Chrissy's (and other's) murderer to justice.

It doesn't surprise me to hear that the papers were less than accurate in reporting the facts at the time. Some of us have suspected as much, as some of the "facts" they relate conflict or seem a bit odd at times. Unfortunately, the newspaper articles are often the only available source of information on these older cases.

So, from what you've shared with us, LE probably did finally figure out who did this -- a man who was seen that night in the laundry room whose DNA they were testing. Do you know whether he was convicted of the other crimes? I'd like to think he was in prison for life at least. Do you know?

Once again, welcome again to WebSleuths and thank you so very much for sharing this information with us.

As I stated when I started this thread, something in this case spoke to me as only one other ever has. I truly hope it can be resolved one day, and Christine can receive at least a little of the justice she so richly deserves.

I have to wonder if any DNA was ever collected from Christine following the murder, or if the evidence retrieved at the time was ever tested for DNA.

LWright

I am from the Richmond area and have been here all my life. I remember little Christine's story in the Richmond Times from the day she was reported missing, etc. It sickened me when her body was found. I just wanted to say that since that time 36 years ago... I have not forgotten her. She was a beautiful girl. I was 15 at the time and told my mom that if I ever had the chance that I would personally see that the perp gets what he desrves. Let him experience the fear and pain that she went through.
I even went so far as contacting AMW with a letter back in 05. Even though I do not know the family, I hope that someone is made aware of this "cold case". I would like to see it solved ASAP. Hopefully, we can get this broadcast on more than just one website.

Laura

I am so glad to see LWright posted the information about that suspect. It encourages me to think that Christina's case was being investigated in the 90's. What are the chances we can find out the suspects name?

Footsteps in the snow were ignored by police. Door dusted for fingerprints 3 days later after hundreds of people had experimented with sliding door latch.

This seems to occur too often in cases, what were they thinking?

Is it known if they took a swabbing from the sexual assault or was it possible with Christine being in the water? It would seem if they were able to obtain a salvagable sample then the person responsible would be found if it were one of these men mentioned in other posts.

I have been trying to find someone who matches up with these locations.

Lwright Gave us this

'' NY and served 7 years. Served time in Nebraska, Texas, and Florida. Detectives did their homework and interviewed jailmates in all those places. They had a warrant for his DNA, but that was not usable in 74. His was sent to Ohio and Penn re other cases.''

If someone lives in that area they may be able to find this article at the local library- that will possibly name the man.

I know there is some site you have to pay for articles, also. But free is best.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back