VA - Cullen, 1, Emily Bivens, 24, & Joan Bernard, 62, Pittsylvania, murdered, 26 Aug 2019 *Arrest*

Quite a bit in this article I had never heard before. I wasn’t aware the aunt saw him come from the garage with the rifle after the murders.

Phone of suspect in Virginia triple slaying believed to have audio diary of 'things that he had heard from God'

She arrived at the Bernard residence to find a body in the driveway and to see Bernard walk from the garage.

“At that time she observes him holding a rifle,” the search warrant states. “She observed him look at her, and then she observed him run into the woods carrying the rifle with him.”

More than 100 recordings? Was the youth pastor the only one that knew about the audio recordings prior to the murders?
Did Matthew allude to these things on social media?

I've always believed they would also find social media posts as well.

I pray it's not another case where the threats, and rants of murderers were already out there for others to see, and did nothing. :(

Jmho

From the article below

Anew search warrant obtained from the Pittsylvania County Circuit Court Clerk's Office states Matthew Thomas Bernard was operating 'under a religious motivation' on Aug. 27, 2019
The warrant, dated Sept. 19, indicates Pittsylvania County Sheriff's Office Investigator Marvin Pickeral interviewed Jason Adkins, who is identified as the youth pastor at Central Boulevard Church of God.
"He further told Inv. Pickeral that Matthew kept an audio diary on his phone of what Matthew described as his thoughts, what he had seen in dreams, visions, and things that he had heard from God," the warrant states.

New warrant states Matthew Bernard operated 'under a religious motivation' on Aug. 27

I know we've been extremely blessed that none of our family members have suffered from any type of mental illness.

As a lifelong faithful Christian myself, and surrounded by family members, and dear friends who also are... this is so foreign to me because our God is a loving God which is known, and believed by all Christians.

He clearly tells us to honor our mother, and father. Thou shall not kill is also in the 10 commandments.

It's mind blowing to me to even begin to understand how he could twist his Christian raising of love, acceptance, inclusiveness, forgiveness, compassion, and kindness for all others into doing something so horrifically evil to totally innocent victims by using our God for the reason for doing so. :(

Jmho

Last edited:
Thinking of you @oceanblueeyes
Do what your heart tells you to do.

Thank you for understanding. You are correct I must follow my heart.

Imo, the voices he said he heard weren't from God.

Only the Devil would want him to brutally murder his own beloved mother, sister, and her helpless defenseless little boy.

Jmho

Court hearing delayed for suspect in triple Keeling homicide

The teenager accused of a triple homicide in Keeling might not be mentally prepared to appear in court for an initial hearing on his charges until early next year.

Matthew Bernard, 18, has had his preliminary court hearing for next Wednesday in Pittsylvania County postponed so he can be restored to competency to stand trial, his defense attorney has confirmed. Competency determines whether a defendant can understand the charges brought against him, and whether he can work with his defense attorneys on the case.

Defense attorney James C. Martin issued a news release late Thursday explaining the hearing in the county’s Juvenile & Domestic Relations Court has been rescheduled for Jan. 16.
[.....]
During Bernard’s Sept. 12 arraignment, Martin motioned for a competence and sanity evaluation, which was to be filed in court by this past Wednesday. The evaluation was filed a day early and is sealed to the public. At the time of the arraignment, Bernard was being held by the state’s Behavioral Health and Developmental Services instead of at a local jail, court documents state.

The teenager accused of a triple homicide in Keeling might not be mentally prepared to appear in court for an initial hearing on his charges until early next year.

Matthew Bernard, 18, has had his preliminary court hearing for next Wednesday in Pittsylvania County postponed so he can be restored to competency to stand trial, his defense attorney has confirmed. Competency determines whether a defendant can understand the charges brought against him, and whether he can work with his defense attorneys on the case.

Defense attorney James C. Martin issued a news release late Thursday explaining the hearing in the county’s Juvenile & Domestic Relations Court has been rescheduled for Jan. 16.
[.....]
During Bernard’s Sept. 12 arraignment, Martin motioned for a competence and sanity evaluation, which was to be filed in court by this past Wednesday. The evaluation was filed a day early and is sealed to the public. At the time of the arraignment, Bernard was being held by the state’s Behavioral Health and Developmental Services instead of at a local jail, court documents state.

Thanks for the update! I can’t say I’m surprised by this. It’s just so incredibly sad.

[.....]

Thank you, @Niner :):):)

Don't know how you keep us all informed, but sure glad you do!!!

Monday, January 6th:
*Status Hearing (re Competency) (@ 9am ET) – VA – Emily Marie Bernard Bivens (25), Cullen Micah Bivens (14 mos.) & Joan Denise Jefferson Bernard (62) (August 27, 2019, Pittsylvania) - *Matthew Thomas Bernard (19) (bro of Emily, son of Joan) arrested & charged (8/27/19) & arraigned (9/12/19) with 3 counts of 1st degree murder & 3 counts of using a firearm in the commission of a felony. No plea entered. Held with bond. On suicide watch.
8/28/19 Update: Arraignment hearing was cancelled, as Bernard was hospitalized. Arraignment hearing scheduled for 9/5. 9/5/19: Arraignment rescheduled for 9/12. Matthew will be arraigned in Juvenile & Domestic Relations Court. Anything else will take place in Circuit Court. 9/12/19: No plea entered. Judge Brian Turpin approved an order for a competency and sanity evaluation that Bernard's court-appointed attorney James Martin requested. Next hearing has been set for Nov. 6.
11/4/19 Update: Status hearing has been postponement to allow “further review by medical professionals to determine Mr. Bernard’s competency to stand trial. Rescheduled for 1/6/20. 11/6/19 Update: Bernard has been found incompetent to stand trial after a psychological evaluation, but based on other evidence, could be treated to restore his competency. Bernard was to be transferred to a hospital designated by the commissioner.

Oops - I believe I made quite a mistake - the hearing should be on 1/16/19 NOT today 1/6.... Sorry - I must have mistyped in my notes! :rolleyes:

Man accused of Pittsylvania County triple murder has hearing shifted to March

Published: January 14, 2020, 6:37 pm
PITTSYLVANIA COUNTY, Va. – A new hearing date has been set for the man accused of killing his mother, sister and her child in Pittsylvania County in August 2019.

Matthew Bernard now has a court date of March 18 at 2 p.m. in Pittsylvania County Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court.

In November, he was ruled incompetent to stand trial.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Websleuth0000
Back