VA - Hannah Elizabeth Graham, 18, Charlottesville, 13 Sept 2014 - #15 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
They have a massive incentive to lie. Losing their liquor license would break them.

I'm not saying they are lying but if there are eyewitnesses who confirm that Hannah was in the bar then they are going to be in trouble. It will come out in the next few days if she was seen in there or just seen leaving with him.

I'm puzzled as to why she would wait any real length of time for him, just stood outside. Surely if she is just standing outside Tempo waiting then there would be eyewitnesses confirming that too. The mall was busy that night with plenty of people mingling around.

Also don't forget they have incentive to lie if they or someone at Tempos has something to do with her disappearance.

OT question, sorry! I keep getting logged out of this site, so when I attempt a reply after several minutes of reading, I have to log in again. It's happening so frequently it's starting to get frustrating. Any way to change that? And yes, I do have my login info "remembered" on the computer.

I'm mobile and lost the post I was trying to quote but it was asking whether police have a record check system that has all charges, regardless of conviction.

To answer that, yes, LE has a database/system that contains all arrest/charge data, regardless of disposition. Hope that helps!

Do we really think he is that smart? To get away with it and plant the shirt later on?

There's a lot more that smart that goes into getting away with something. Don't believe the hollywood myth that these guys are all super intelligent it doesn't stand up to the evidence remember what someone posted about Gary Ridgeway (sp?) and from the city i live in Derrick Todd Lee his IQ was quite low. Plus if he is guilt of MH planting the shirt is not going to look to smart.

Great point about the civil liability.

Not snarky- where did you hear that was the press release reason?

I'm just responding to the speculations on this thread. And I am surmising that that is the reason for the press release. However, if they start woodshedding their employees not to say the truth and it gets out, that would not be a good thing. Civil suit version of suddenly driving to Galveston to appreciate the Gulf of Mexico.

What Virginia cannot do is protect Tempo from civil liability from Hannah's family in a wrongful death lawsuit if Hannah was a patron at Tempo, was illegally served (underage and drunk) and that service contributed to her death (poor judgment in going with serial killer).

This is absolutely true, though I doubt they'd have much of a case. In cases where civil liability's been found for a sale to minor, it's usually a foreseeable outcome (underage drinker drove off drunk, killed self and/or others). I don't know that a serial killer or rapist or even abduction is a foreseeable result of underage drinking, or that it has a sufficiently causative link to the sale to minor. I'm pretty sure the intervening agent, i.e. the murderer/rapist/kidnapper, would cut off liability entirely. Of course...even if the case is ultimately dropped, litigation is expensive, and businesses don't like expensive. So yeah, you're making a very legitimate point.

Also, I'm really guessing/hoping here, but on a purely personal level, I want to believe Hannah's family wouldn't sue Tempo. That would discourage businesses from cooperating in future investigations, and that would be a very sad result.

I agree that they shouldn't, but VA ABC is notorious for being very tough. One local bar lost their license because of one fight within the establishment and many others here in Harrisonburg have lost theirs for underage drinking. That might be enough for the Tempo ownership to be very skittish.

and then there was the time they surrounded/arrested a girl for buying fizzy water b/c they thought it was beer.
http://wtvr.com/2014/03/26/elizabeth-daly-sues-for-40-million/

There's a lot more that smart that goes into getting away with something. Don't believe the hollywood myth that these guys are all super intelligent it doesn't stand up to the evidence remember what someone posted about Gary Ridgeway (sp?) and from the city i live in Derrick Todd Lee his IQ was quite low. Plus if he is guilt of MH planting the shirt is not going to look to smart.

And don't forget too there are a ton of tv shows like CSI or Criminal Minds that are in a way like "How To Commit a Crime 101".

I'm done. Stick a fork in me, too. I had concerns about Longo--I no longer have those concerns. He must have known all along about the Liberty U. sexual assault accusation and expulsion. That's all I needed to hear. So, it turns out Longo really is brilliant and doing a fantastic job. This guy has to be a psychopath, with how many friends he has. JMO. It's just incredible. Whatever happens I sure hope some other cases are solved and Hannah is found and Justice is served.

8pm for us for the presser blefuscu (and anyone else in the UK)

I'm mobile and lost the post I was trying to quote but it was asking whether police have a record check system that has all charges, regardless of conviction.

To answer that, yes, LE has a database/system that contains all arrest/charge data, regardless of disposition. Hope that helps!
Thanks so much! This was what I was trying to explain...
This explains Longo's passion and intensity from the beginning...
Thanks for responding...I wasn't sure if it was only in Canada...

Just catching up this morning...whew!

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/web...es-first-court-appearance-in-houston/28240404

This exchange at JM's court appearence in TX bothers me. It starts approx. 1:40 into the video, when JM is asked to sign paperwork waiving his right to a court-appointed attorney for both the TX and VA charges:

JM: (indicting paperwork) Is this for Virginia? So, what is the Virginia one again?
Judge: The Virginia warrant is a fugitive from justice warrant, the underlying charge is abduction of a person with intent to defile.
JM: And if I sign this, what does this do?
Judge: It only says that I read you your rights, you're not entering a plea of any kind this morning.

Now, come on. He high-tailed it out of VA, making (what looks like) a desperate attempt for the border, while his name is all over national news in regards to Hannah's case....but he actually has to ask? And he says, "again", so it was explained to him previously. Didn't have to ask about the TX charge a second time. I personally believe he knew exactly why that VA warrant was issued. Have enough respect for Hannah, and for yourself, to not feign ignorance about something so important. Gross.
You're spinning it a bit to make him look bad. He looks bad enough without adding spice to it. Look, I provided this link a page or so ago and said that the judge was hard to understand. I'm not dumb, and I was struggling to understand what he was being ask to sign. The judge was talking fast. Of course, Jesse was (and should) be clear about what he is signing. We all know about fine print and how it can bite you. One document was the charge on him in Texas, for giving a false name or what have you and to ask if he wanted a court appointed lawyer for that. The other document was to allow for extradition; to agree that he was in fact Jesse Matthew that was wanted for charges in Virginia. I doubt Jesse truly understands what 'abduction with intent to defile' even is. People on here are even confused about it, including me.

At the risk of being viewed as an apologist, I wanted to point something out about JM getting booted from Liberty University for alleged sexual assault. It must be considered that this University is an evangelical school. If you read their student handbook or code of conduct, violations include seeing an "R" rated movie, men with ponytails (and presumably dreads), and any contact with the opposite sex that comprises more than holding hands. Hence, I'm not that impressed with his getting kicked out of there. HOWEVER, if the woman he allegedly attacked was in fact treated at a hospital, that 100% changes things for me, personally.

Are you saying you've read Liberty's handbook? Just curious. Out of evangelical Christian colleges, Liberty is considered liberal. What you described would be more apparent in the handbook of, say, Bob Jones University, Pensacola Christian College, Clearwater Christian College. I'd be very surprised if Liberty has anything in their handbook about R rated movies or men with ponytails.....

JMO. Not a graduate of Liberty, but I am a graduate of a liberal Christian college and I'm well aware about the "continuum" of codes of ethics/moral expectations at various Christian colleges....they are NOT all like Bob Jones University. I know it is all relative, but I would not consider Liberty to be very conservative or their student body to be "prudish" (a term a previous poster used), no matter what your impression of Jerry Falwell is.

All my opinion!!

OT question, sorry! I keep getting logged out of this site, so when I attempt a reply after several minutes of reading, I have to log in again. It's happening so frequently it's starting to get frustrating. Any way to change that? And yes, I do have my login info "remembered" on the computer.

Happens to me once in awhile too. Thought maybe it was my laptop as I think it needs a check up. This board had a major overhaul not long ago. It may or may not be the reason. Best to PM Bessie. Hope this helps.

This scenario, if true, makes this case all the more bizarre. I think we all agree that Hannah's behavior that night was confused and erratic; the one thing she wasn't, was still. She kept moving, moving, moving.

Maybe she slipped or knowingly took something, maybe she was intoxicated, or maybe she was "on a mission" of some kind...but how do you go from that state, to one of stillness and waiting for 15 minutes? I know when I get myself worked up about something, it's impossible to just flip a switch and be calm - unless, of course, the reason for my anxiety is suddenly lifted. And if her behavior was caused by something she ingested, it would be even harder to stop and stand.

The employee at Tempo's door saw her. If she had continued to act erratically, surely he would have noticed? Pacing back and forth, checking her phone incessantly, fidgeting, etc, paint a far different picture of a person's state of mind than if she had stood calmly or had a conversation. I wish we knew what the doorman told the police.

He transported patients to the operating room for a living
He probably had access to syringes, sedation, electronic RXs...and things we don't even want to talk about ....

Anyone know whether LE would have had legal rights to obtain JM's dna (from say something in Tempo if they could have gotten that), and check it against database dna. As in, just randomly, in the beginning- before they searched the car? I'm now wondering if that's why they got a warrant for his car. That they were able to get his dna and it matched something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member