VA - Hannah Elizabeth Graham, 18, Charlottesville, 13 Sept 2014 - #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Investigators believe Graham and Matthew left the restaurant Tempo together between 1:20 a.m. and 1:40 a.m. Saturday morning in Charlottesville."

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2014/09/2...ham-disappearance-‘we-want-talk-jesse-matthew

A rather large twenty minute spread for the time they left Tempo, allegedly together. AFAIK No further video captures them together.

In the press conference, they said that they know for a fact that they left together, so it's possible that there is video surveillance video from after they were at Tempo, but that it hasn't been released. What they seem to desperately want is someone that saw Hannah get into his car.

We know they got warrants for his car and apartment before even talking to him, and in the presser after that they were already talking aggressively. That to me is blowing it. They have alienated their POI more than a POI may already be alienated. And now look where we are. IMO that is where it started.

I agree. Too much information given out. IMO he should be discussing the search and keep the rest quiet until they have proof of anything... If it's not him, then I foresee him being a wealthy man once this is over with.

Also...we don't know that JM said anything to police about he and Hannah leaving bar and splitting up. Grandma said that he said that and reporter reported it. It doe not lock him into anything, Imo. She may have misunderstood him, or he lied to her, but not to police. It is not a crime to lie to Grandma.

This does not bode well for Hannah.

“Jesse Matthew showed up at the police station yesterday, walked right through the front door with a couple family members,” Longo said. “He got inside and asked for a lawyer. We found him one. He talked to a lawyer and … they walked out the door. And I don’t know any more know than I did before about his interaction with Hannah Graham.” ... "I believe Jesse Matthew was last person she was seen with before she vanished off the face of the earth,” Longo said. “Let me repeat that. I believe Jesse Matthew was last person she was seen with before she vanished off the face of the earth. It’s been a week and we can’t find her. Someone knows where she is. Someone’s gotta know where she is.”

http://www.insidenova.com/headlines...cle_865681c2-4040-11e4-a18b-0710e0693940.html

The bolded parts are, I believe, his way of saying JM murdered her.

I think if the police would have gone to his house at a normal time of day (instead of 5:45am in the morning AFTER they had taken his car), he would have spoken. If 1-2 officers would have knocked on his door at 4pm, after he was home from work relaxing and said "we saw some video of you and a missing girl", I think he would have cooperated.

If police barge into my house at 5:45am, after taking may car . . . . and now I have to call work and say I can't come in, I don't think I would be very cooperative. Especially, once the police say they have a search warrant and I have to leave my house. <modsnip>.

Yeah, I think the circumstances change a lot about how we can consider what his behavior says. This wasn't an officer politely knocking on his door. This was a man who was being treated as a suspect from the get-go. And anyone who is being treated as a suspect should be allowed to protect themselves.

I have.

He obviously can't afford a lawyer so he asked to have a court appointed lawyer and I'm guessing that is who he spoke with. Some people would love to just 'go get a lawyer' but lawyers don't work unless you pay them.

Everyone that is ever interviewed by police should request a lawyer, whether guilty or innocent. There are so many cases where innocent people confessed to crimes they did not commit, or had their words twisted, and ended up in jail for a very long time.

He probably spoke to a public defender who told him that since he is not charged with any crime that he should just keep his mouth shut. That is what any good lawyer would say, no doubt about it.

And even if he was charged the lawyer would still tell him not to speak.

what's the process in retaining a lawyer?
do you have to be arrested/charged for a public one? who paid for the lawyers time or is it free?
do they advise for an hour free of charge without being retained?
if they are retained do they negotiate with police on clients behalf?

I've seen csi, but how does it work in real life?
sorry if they're dumb questions

I have.

He obviously can't afford a lawyer so he asked to have a court appointed lawyer and I'm guessing that is who he spoke with. Some people would love to just 'go get a lawyer' but lawyers don't work unless you pay them.

Everyone that is ever interviewed by police should request a lawyer, whether guilty or innocent. There are so many cases where innocent people confessed to crimes they did not commit, or had their words twisted, and ended up in jail for a very long time.

He probably spoke to a public defender who told him that since he is not charged with any crime that he should just keep his mouth shut. That is what any good lawyer would say, no doubt about it.

And even if he was charged the lawyer would still tell him not to speak.

Again, I am fairly certain you can't go into a police station and demand a court appoint attorney. Public defenders are appointed at the arraignment stage. Now, if Longo stated in the press conference that "they found him one", we'll, I'm stumped.

I've never heard of a public defender being assigned to someone who is not charged with a crime and without a judge assigning that public defender.

I don't think it was a Public Defender. Longo said something like"I'm not going to tell you the lawyer's name because I don't know if he retained the lawyer".

In the press conference, they said that they know for a fact that they left together, so it's possible that there is video surveillance video from after they were at Tempo, but that it hasn't been released. What they seem to desperately want is someone that saw Hannah get into his car.

If they want a witness to say Graham got into his car, then how can they know for a fact already that she did?

So JM drove a taxi? Is it possible he picked up Morgan Harrington when she was hitchhiking?

As I said earlier, an intoxicated person would not have a reason to distrust a cab driver to get them where they were going. A student may trust a university person who probably has UVA ID. I also found it ironic how much he changed his hair from the time he was a cab driver with a goatee/short hair to now having mega dreadlocks/braids. JMO

Newbie here. I think the number of guests may owe something to Hannah and her family's roots in the UK, a heritage she speaks of with pride on Twitter. I'm sure I'm not the only person rooting for this poor family from across the pond. Having watched the press conference, I have to say that - as a Brit - I was really impressed by the passion and conviction of the Police Chief, just as I am moved by the weight of numbers who turned out to search for Hannah this weekend. The insight and observation offered here is also as intelligent as it is informative. All I feel I can contribute is to reinforce the view that, from experience, Hannah may well have been looking for nothing more than a chance to use a bathroom when she tried to enter the pub and headed for the petrol station. 15 minutes isn't a long time to spend inside a bar but it's enough to empty your bladder. At eighteen, if I was desperate enough, I'd run around, appear 'distressed' and probably let almost anyone take me past security and into a place with a toilet. I'm really not sure Hannah's behaviour is relevant, other than that being young, drunk, lost and possibly bursting for the loo all amount to a high degree of vulnerability.

I agree. Too much information given out. IMO he should be discussing the search and keep the rest quiet until they have proof of anything... If it's not him, then I foresee him being a wealthy man once this is over with.

I too agree however maybe they are so certain that he knows something that they are willing to take that chance.

Was there a description of the car that sped off with him in it? I am wondering why they aren't looking for that? Who was driving the car that "lost" the police. Generally people don't just "lose" FBI agents without knowing they have done it.

Reason I ask is if by most accounts this man is a gentle giant, seemingly not well off... who does he owe money to, who does he owe favours to? What kind of unsavory people does he know that maybe even his family doesn't know about?

One more thing, does Hannah have a facebook account? I have seen links to Twitter but no facebook.

Also does the POI have facebook?

If JM is such a model citizen, committed Christian, upstanding member of society etc etc then why is he refusing to help police find Hannah?

I think if the police would have gone to his house at a normal time of day (instead of 5:45am in the morning AFTER they had taken his car), he would have spoken. If 1-2 officers would have knocked on his door at 4pm, after he was home from work relaxing and said "we saw some video of you and a missing girl", I think he would have cooperated.

If police barge into my house at 5:45am, after taking may car . . . . and now I have to call work and say I can't come in, I don't think I would be very cooperative. Especially, once the police say they have a search warrant and I have to leave my house. <modsnip> ( I am really a middle-aged white woman, who knows Coach Matthew).

When they went back to execute the search warrant on the residence, JM had already fled.

I can't remember where the scent dogs found Hannah's scent, can someone restate it please.

It's old news that has since been completely updated.
I believe it was four days after she was missing, and it was outside OGradys.

"Police did say a blood hound picked up Graham&#8217;s scent right outside the Irish pub; but where it led them, they&#8217;re not saying.

&#8220;I don&#8217;t want to get into any more details about the dog track, we&#8217;ve got things to follow up on,&#8221; said Police Capt. Gary Pleasants."

http://fox4kc.com/2014/09/17/missin...o-walking-in-opposite-direction-of-apartment/

LE in this case might be better off if they stopped publicly releasing misinformation and withholding valuable pieces of information. Longo has asked for help from the general public, but when you tell people the suspect has no hair and a totally different description than the one you're calling a suspect now, the public is very confused about what exactly is is they're looking for! Some have said LE is playing games with their suspects...not good IMO; the other possibility is that they are just behind the eight-ball in their investigation techniques/abilities. I understand this is very stressful, but I don't think they're handling this correctly! This is one confusing case....

This is from the link I provided: "Matthew is a nursing assistant at the University of Virginia Hospital. Before going to work for UVA, he drove a taxi in Charlottesville. His former boss, John Amato, told us:

&#8220;He was a nice guy, always in a good mood, always easy to talk to. I never had any problem with him. He was always reliable to call. The customers really liked him, so I&#8217;d be very, very surprised if he were tied into this negatively in any way.&#8221;

http://wvtf.org/post/person-interest-named-charlottesville-investigation

This is the original source for the photo in the above link:

http://www.readthehook.com/81206/my-ride-jessie-mathew-1998-grand-marquis

Quote Originally Posted by msteach View Post
I keep reading FB comments from people who know him -- not just grandma -- and the recurring theme is that he is a big guy with a big heart and, as someone alluded to in the DM article -- perhaps even a bit slow. Someone who knew him from the past stated " No disrespect to Lj, I can't see him being intelligent enough to pull a heinous crime like this off in the since that the young lady is still missing this as the markings of someone whom may have done this before." I don't know if I am crossing the line on sleuthing him via FB comments, so I won't give any additional details.

One person after another -- seemingly from all walks of life, as far as I can tell -- who knows him or who has known him in the past describe him as a gentle giant with a kind soul -- big guy with a big heart -- and not so much as an evil bone in his body.

I'm of the innocent until PROVEN guilty camp in all of these cases. I just hope that this one doesn't turn out to be a case where they went after the "slow" guy because he was an easy target and they totally let the real killer off scot free.

If they do want him to get to someone else -- that may have backfired. Hopefully, there will be answers soon.

Mods...if I am out of line with this one...feel free to delete. I never quite know where the line is.

<BBM for Focus>

Can't remember a prolific sexual predator/serial killer past, when apprehended, where their neighbors, employers, friends, or family members said, "I knew that he was a sexual predator/serial killer".. Many if not most sadistic psychopathic SPs/SKs have a good self and an evil self.. Only their victims are allowed to see their evil side. Many if not most begin their evil trails of terror during adolescence, around the age of fourteen, imo...

Edmund Kemper "The Gentle Giant"..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXD3Rl436W0 <warning graphic>

Edmund Emil "Big Ed" Kemper III (born December 18, 1948),also known as "The Co-ed Killer"

As I said earlier, an intoxicated person would not have a reason to distrust a cab driver to get them where they were going. A student may trust a university person who probably has UVA ID. I also found it ironic how much he changed his hair from the time he was a cab driver with a goatee/short hair to now having mega dreadlocks/braids. JMO

Wasn't that 7 years ago? I have changed my hair a LOT in 7 years

And no added charges as they were following the vehicle he was in.. Not trying to stop it when they stopped following it due to the speed and manner they were driving.. It was Va state police that was overtly watching him... Not fbi

Pretty sure he said federal agents which means FBI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ambermotko