VA - Hannah Graham, UVA Student, 09.13.14, Media Links **NO DISCUSSION**

Hannah Graham Searchers Return to Jesse Matthew's Apartment
Sep 22, 2014, 1:40 PM ET
By MEGHAN KENEALLY via Good Morning America

[...]

Charlottesville police carrying out the search were seen today at the apartment of Jesse Matthew. They also released a wanted poster for Matthew, saying that he may be in possession of his sister's car. They said that he has known associates in Washington D.C., Maryland, Pennsylvania and New York in addition to his home state of Virginia.

[...]

Updated article.

"I believe Jesse Matthew was the last person she was seen with before she vanished off the face of the Earth because it's been a week and we can't find her," Charlottesville police Chief Timothy Longo said. "I've made no mistake about it. We want to talk to Jesse Matthew. We want to talk to him. We want to talk to him about his interaction with this sweet, young girl we can't find."

Read more: http://www.wjla.com/articles/2014/0...matthew-s-apartment-107385.html#ixzz3E6J0Ksz3
Follow us: @ABC7News on Twitter | WJLATV on Facebook

Transcription of an interview with a Charlottesville reporter, Hawes Spencer, regarding his conversation with a lawyer (Eric Wilke) who was the victim of a 2009 assault involving Jesse Matthew.

[There's this brief mention here at the start that's unrelated to the assault story and does NOT involve the same person]

(Spencer) I talked to a guy who knew Jesse Matthew from high school. The friend described him as a kind of gentle giant and expressed doubt that Matthew could be involved in anything something nefarious.

(Spencer) Then, later this afternoon, I knocked on the door of a local lawyer named Eric Wilke because I had found his name in the Charlottesville arrest records as the alleged victim in an assault case back in 2009

(Host) JM was the accused in that case. And what actually happened?​

(Spencer) Well, Wilke says he was driving over to his girl friend’s house at about 10 pm on a week night. When a gold, minivan taxi suddenly cut in front of him. He says he honked his horn and the taxi stopped, blocking him in.

The driver emerged and angrily asked why he had honked. Wilke said, “Because you cut me off.” The driver refused to budge and a sort off stand of ensued. Where Wilke said he said, “Well, I’m calling the police.” And he began to dial, only to find his iPhone snatched out of his hands.

So Wilke says he got out of his vehicle and attempted to try to retrieve his cell phone, when he was hit in the face with an unexpected punch.

(Host) But then something surprising happened?​

(Spencer) Wilke says that his assailant became contrite and drove him to the ER for medical treatment. All the while expressing regret and offering to make things right.

(Host) Did he make any excuses for his behaviour?​

(Spencer) He did. He said that he had been stiffed by a couple of fares earlier in the evening and was feeling frustrated. But Wilke thought there was something wrong with the young man. That he might be suffering from depression And Wilke even asserted that he seemed he could be potentially suicidal

(Host) So was this crime ever reported?​

(Spencer) Yes. Wilke says he reported it, only in order to make sure he got compensated for his medical bills. As it played out, an Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney eventually called Wilke and said, “Do you mind if we drop these charges?” And Wilke says as long as he got paid, that had been his main concern. And in fact he did get paid. And the records show that the charges were dropped.

(Host) So how did Wilke react when you asked him about the incident?​

(Spencer) He asked, “Well, why do you want to know about that?” And I said, well because people are interested in anything having to do with Jesse Matthew. He said, “Oh my God. Is that the guy? I didn’t even remember his name!”

For Wilke, this whole thing is so far in the past. And he actually even declined to provide a recorded interview. He didn’t mind telling me about since it’s a matter of public record, with the arrest and everything, but he said that he didn’t really want to be part of piling on or being part of a witch hunt against Jesse Matthew, since, as police have pointed out, there’s really no probable cause to arrest him or to connect him yet to Hannah Graham’s disappearance.

Jesse Matthew, Suspect in Missing UVA Student, Charged With Abduction
Sep 23, 2014, 7:18 PM ET
By MEGHAN KENEALLY via Good Morning America

The man who was the last person seen with missing University of Virginia student Hannah Graham was charged today with abduction with intent to defile. Jesse Matthew, already sought on an unrelated dangerous driving warrant, has not been seen since he sped away from a Charlottesville police station on Saturday.

Graham, an 18-year-old sophomore, was last seen more than two weeks ago.

"We’ve reached that point that the commonwealth thought we had sufficient probable cause for an arrest warrant.. We obtained an arrest warrant for Jesse Matthew Jr. charging him with the class 2 felony of abduction with intent to defile," Charlottesville Police chief Timothy Longo said.

Longo said they were still searching for Graham.

Tuesday, September 23, 2014
LE press conference video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpYXWyaKnp4

Manhunt Intensifies for Suspect in Hannah Graham Disappearance
Wednesday, Sep 24, 2014 • Updated at 3:06 PM EDT

An attorney for the suspect in the disappearance of a University of Virginia student spoke to the media briefly Wednesday afternoon as the search intensified for both the suspect and for 18-year-old Hannah Graham.

[...]

"I was hired on Saturday."

That's the only thing Im going to confirm at this point," Camblos said. "The family and I, nobody is making any statement at this point at time. We might later but right now we are not."

[...]

Longo has asked residents of surrounding coutnies to search their land for any sign of Graham, NBC29 in Charlotteville reported.

Police said Wednesday that evidence testing on their first search of Matthew's apartment and car have come back, reported NBC29's Henry Graff. However, authorities wouldn't say whether that led to the new charge.

cont. at the link
Hannah Graham disappearance: What we know
By Eliott C. McLaughlin, CNN
updated 8:28 PM EDT, Tue September 23, 2014

(CNN) -- An arrest warrant has been issued in the case of 18-year-old Hannah Graham, a University of Virginia student who disappeared more than a week ago.

The warrant is for Jesse Matthew, who police believe was the last person to see her. He is wanted on suspicion of abduction with the intent to defile, Charlottesville Police Chief Timothy Longo told reporters Tuesday.

One day earlier, a new search warrant was issued for Matthew's apartment.

Authorities found specific clothing they were looking for, Longo said on CNN's "New Day." The clothing was sent to a lab for analysis.

cont. at the link

Suspect Charged in Disappearance of University of Virginia Student Hannah Graham
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESSSEPT. 24, 2014

[...]

Chief Timothy Longo of the Charlottesville police said officers were looking for Mr. Matthew, a campus employee and longtime Charlottesville resident, who was last seen Saturday when he stopped by the police station with his mother and uncle to say he wanted a lawyer

[...]

Chief Longo said the police, who have searched Mr. Matthew’s car once and his apartment twice, had decided they had probable cause to charge him in Ms. Graham’s disappearance. He declined to say what new information the police had, and he did not take questions.

[...]

“We absolutely are continuing our search for Hannah, even as we speak, and we will continue our search for Hannah,” he said.

cont. at the link

wanted-poster-no-ss.jpg

UPDATED: Jesse "LJ" Matthew arrested in connection with abduction of Hannah Graham
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 7:00 pm | Updated: 7:36 pm, Wed Sep 24, 2014.

Jesse “LJ” Matthew Jr. has been arrested in Galveston, Texas in connection with the disappearance of Northern Virginia native Hannah Graham.

Matthew, 32, was arrested Wednesday and will be extradited back to Virginia.

"Once that comes to completion, we'll have some more information to share with you," Charlottesville police Chief Timothy Longo said.

Longo did not comment on the circumstances surrounding the arrest.
Jesse Matthew arrested out-of-state in alleged kidnapping of U.Va. student Hannah Graham
By ABC 7 News, Associated Press
September 24, 2014 - 07:09 pm Updated: September 24, 2014 - 09:18 pm

[...]

"Jesse Matthew is in custody in Galveston, Texas," Police Chief Timothy Longo proclaimed to reporters, adding that the "extradition process is currently underway."

[...]

The Galveston County Sheriff’s Office confirmed one of their deputies located Matthew on a beach in the community of Gilcrest around 3:30 p.m. Central time, but they declined to discuss the circumstances surrounding his capture. Charlottesville investigators were expected to travel to Galveston on Thursday.

Suspect in Hannah Graham case in custody
By Dana Ford, CNN updated 8:30 PM EDT, Wed September 24, 2014

[...]

"We have a person in custody, but there's a long road ahead of us, and that long road includes finding Hannah Graham," Charlottesville Police Chief Timothy Longo told reporters.

[...]

"I am Mr. Matthew's attorney," said James Camblos, who spoke outside his office in Charlottesville, Virginia.

"I was hired on Saturday. That's the only thing that I'm going to confirm at this point. The family and I -- nobody is making any statements at this point in time. We might later on, but right now we are not," he said.
Suspect in University of Virginia student disappearance arrested in Galveston

[...]

Charlottesville Police Chief Timothy Longo announced Matthew's capture at a news conference Wednesday night. He said Matthew was in custody in Galveston, Texas, and would be extradited to Virginia.

According to the Galveston County Sheriff's Office, Matthew was located on the beach in Gilcrest on the Bolivar Penisula at around 3:30pm.

Longo added that police were still searching for Graham.

This is a NON DISCUSSION THREAD. Comments are NOT allowed, and posts MUST include a LINK.

Jesse Matthew, U.Va. kidnap suspect, expelled from Liberty University in 2002 after alleged rape
September 25, 2014 - 12:48 pm

LYNCHBURG, Va. (ABC) - Jesse Leroy Matthew, the man charged with the abduction of missing University of Virginia student Hannah Graham, was expelled in 2002 from Liberty University amid rape allegations - but no charges were ever filed, the school confirmed Thursday.

In a statement, the university said Matthew was as a student there from 2000 to 2002 and played on the school's football team.

Liberty said Matthew was expelled from the university in 2002 following an alleged sex attack on a female student.

Read more: http://www.wjla.com/articles/2014/0...-after-alleged-rape-107507.html#ixzz3ELn5qhN9

Restaurant says U-Va. student never entered but left with alleged abductor
By T. Rees Shapiro, Matt Zapotosky and Justin Jouvenal September 25 at 12:25 PM

The owner of the restaurant where missing U-Va. sophomore Hannah Graham was last seen before she disappeared said Thursday that Graham never entered the establishment with her alleged abductor, instead waiting outside for him while he had a drink there.

Brice Cunningham, owner of the upscale Tempo Restaurant in Charlottesville, said he saw Jesse L. “LJ” Matthew Jr., 32, at the restaurant late on Friday, Sept. 12 and then again during the early morning hours of Sept. 13. Cunningham said that Matthew drank shots of bourbon with two other customers at about 11:45 p.m. and then saw him enjoying music on the restaurant’s dance floor.

Cunningham said that Matthew left the bar briefly and returned just after 1 a.m., closed a tab for two beers at 1:10 a.m. and then left. He said that Tempo staffers, who were checking identification to ensure patrons were 21, saw Graham outside the bar. He said staffers noticed she was intoxicated and saw her leave with Matthew, walking toward the nearby Downtown Mall.

Tempo Restaurant Releases Statement About Hannah Graham
Posted: Sep 25, 2014 9:47 AM CST Updated: Sep 25, 2014 10:10 AM CST
By WRIC Newsroom

[...]
The full statement from Brice Cunninghamm, owner of Tempo Restaurant, reads:

"The Tempo Restaurant family joins the entire Charlottesville community as it continues its search to find Hannah Graham and return her to her family. As longtime members of this unique city, we share the resolve to ensure that Charlottesville remains a safe and special place, and will continue to do absolutely everything we can possibly do to help uncover any facts that will bring Hannah home.

On Wednesday, September 17, when the Charlottesville Police Department first released video that showed Hannah walking along the downtown mall at around 1 am, Tempo was able to immediately provide authorities with information that pinpointed the location of the Person of Interest, Mr. Matthew. Details of credit card receipts showed that he had made purchases at the bar shortly after midnight while Hannah was still making her way towards the downtown mall from Preston Avenue. Those records also confirm that he returned to Tempo at 1:10 am and left shortly after, although Ms. Graham was not seen inside the restaurant and was never served. She was, however, noticed by the door-person outside the restaurant at that time, and seen leaving with Matthew shortly thereafter. These details helped police reconstruct Ms. Graham's movements and last known whereabouts.

Tempo will continue to assist and cooperate with law enforcement authorities in the ongoing investigation, and we urge anyone that might have information about these events, no matter how inconsequential it may seem, to please call the tip line at 434- 295-3851. Our focus remains on finding Hannah and returning her to her family, and neither the Tempo staff nor our friends and neighbors in this community will rest until that goal has been achieved."

Apparently JM's circumstances of leaving Christopher Newport were also unusual.

Jesse Leroy Matthew Jr. attended CNU from January 2003 to Oct. 15, 2003, university spokeswoman Lori Jacobs confirmed in the statement. He was a member of the football team from Aug. 14 to Sept. 12, 2003, it states.

"Students don't usually leave in the second month of the semester or leave the football team within a month. However federal student privacy laws (FERPA) limit the information we can provide," according to the statement.

"The university is fully cooperating with law-enforcement agencies," it states.

http://touch.dailypress.com/#section/702/article/p2p-81487048/

But I wonder if JM's phone would ping...

<snip>

GALVESTON, Tex. &#8212; A federal law enforcement source confirmed a phone call made from a borrowed cell phone in Louisiana, to Virginia, is how they discovered Jesse Matthew was out of the state and on the run.

A federal law enforcement source told me that call Wednesday helped track him down.

&#8220;Most criminals make a mistake, said Mike Banks, a local forensics expert. &#8220;This was his; I don&#8217;t think that he presumed that everyone back home would have their phone tapped and I presume they had legal wire taps on all phones.&#8221;

The source also told me they knew he was in Texas because of highway technology.

&#8220;It wouldn&#8217;t surprise me a bit if police have a way to photograph a car that goes through say a toll that sets off an algorithm or a ping that would lead them to the Galveston area,&#8221; said Banks.

http://wtvr.com/2014/09/24/report-c...rs-tripped-up-uva-abduction-suspect-in-texas/

Meet The Woman Who Brought A Nationwide Manhunt To An End

-snip-

"He hit the brakes, throwing up sand and looked at me. He leaned over the console and stared. It was frightening."

That's because in those few seconds, she made the connection between the man looking at her, and the face in the mugshot that has been circulating nationwide since Graham's disappearance.

"I instantly knew it was him," she says.

Acquaintance says Matthew's demeanor changed after Hannah Graham disappeared

Officials from the UVa Medical Center on Wednesday said Matthew, who was employed as a patient technician in the operating room, has been suspended without pay.

A co-worker at UVa said Matthew’s demeanor changed the week after Graham disappeared. Typically jovial, she said, Matthew became reserved, and began taking his lunch break alone.

read more ........ http://www.roanoke.com/news/virgini...cle_6bacebeb-68f5-542c-a52b-5ad91e1121f1.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pechi_eupa
Back