VA VA - Joan Cook, 45, Roanoke County, 24 Jan 2010

Does anyone know if we can form our own search party to look for Joan? Would RCPD frown on this or would they welcome the help?

Does anyone know if we can form our own search party to look for Joan? Would RCPD frown on this or would they welcome the help?

MBLover, Japandaaa, and any other locals, I just wanted to let you know I read this entire thread last night and am appalled at how little coverage was devoted to this beautiful mother of a little girl, right here in our own hometown.

It is really really bothersome to say the very least that the ball seems to have been dropped. If there is anyway at all I can help, I'm up for it. Just tell me anything I can help with. I'll help search, etc. As you had mentioned in one of your posts, this needs to be done while we are in the cold weather.

This thread, alone, has a lot of mysterious "things" I guess you would call it. My neice lives right up there in this West Salem/Roanoke County area and I am seeing in my mind, JRC, walking in the pitch dark away from a home in that area and it frightens me for her so much. I commend you for all the work you have already put into this for Joan Renee and her daughter.

The 45-year-old mother -- married for 22 years -- walked away from her Salem, Va., home at approximately 11:45 p.m. on Jan. 24, 2010. The temperatures dipped in to the low 40s that night as rain showered Roanoke County.

"It was very evident that she loved her 7-year-old daughter immensely," says Detective Andrea Morris of the Roanoke County Sheriff's Department. "Why hasn't she contacted her daughter?"

http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=73230

Adding to the mystery: Her cell phone has not been used since she disappeared, and police tell AMW her bank accounts are untouched.

Just sort of catching up with this case after learning about it recently. Can anyone tell me the initials of this BF of hers? TIA.

Just sort of catching up with this case after learning about it recently. Can anyone tell me the initials of this BF of hers? TIA.

Haven't found the initials of the BF but would be interested in this as well as where this BF was from.

Sad, sad... I have followed this case since the beginning in my lurking days...
I wonder about that truck he got rid of... how many vehicles did LE check out of his? Did he get rid of this before LE got a chance to search it? Just seems like another of the oddities in this case to me... :banghead:
Renee where are you?

I have no idea what happened to the truck. It was literally there one day, then gone the next. During the Spring, I always saw him in the SUV ; so he had to have got rid of the truck before then because he ALWAYS drove it. One thing I noticed recently was about a house up from the house, they have a blue truck that looks identical to the one he had. I was wondering if maybe they bought it off of him ? I don't really know the people who live there because they come and go a lot. I figured LE would track down the truck, if they had to, but IMO, they should have.

I have been wondering the same thing. I'm more than willing to help in a search, if it was alright. I was going to go in the woods around our neighborhood, but I'm scared to go alone. LOL. It's ironic considering I use to run all through them with no problem as a teenager. One thing I heard was behind Creekwood Dr, they were doing a search in a small field and found a body. The chit-chat of the neighborhood ( heard from numerous people, including some people at a local restaurant ) was that they were led there to look for JRC yet stumbled across someone else. What is odd is that I heard NOTHING about it on the news.

MBLover, Japandaaa, and any other locals, I just wanted to let you know I read this entire thread last night and am appalled at how little coverage was devoted to this beautiful mother of a little girl, right here in our own hometown.

It is really really bothersome to say the very least that the ball seems to have been dropped. If there is anyway at all I can help, I'm up for it. Just tell me anything I can help with. I'll help search, etc. As you had mentioned in one of your posts, this needs to be done while we are in the cold weather.

This thread, alone, has a lot of mysterious "things" I guess you would call it. My neice lives right up there in this West Salem/Roanoke County area and I am seeing in my mind, JRC, walking in the pitch dark away from a home in that area and it frightens me for her so much. I commend you for all the work you have already put into this for Joan Renee and her daughter.

I agree. Ever since I moved here, I hated the area I was in, especially going up towards Dixie Caverns. IDK why, but I always have an uneasy feeling about things. I guess it's because there's so much land covered by woods and it seems unexplored. I come from an area of sunshine and beaches. Hahaha.

I was upset when I heard about this because as I had stated before, I knew NOTHING about the case and it happened literally right down the street. It was weird as well that no one in the neighborhood had talked about it. After I asked some people, they also didn't know anything had happened. Usually we always know what goes on up here. The media coverage was horrible IMO. I remember there being a story about it, then within days, it disappeared. The chatter on Facebook also died down, according the the page that was made after her disappearance. It seemed like no one had any passion in finding her, but I could be wrong. That's not saying her family and friends had given up, but it seemed the LE had no leads and the public had thrown their hands in the air and walked away.

I was also wondering who her ( ex ? ) boyfriend was. I have not seen a name or much of a background. All I've seen is that he was ruled out because he was out-of-town. I don't even know if he had a location because someone said they moved around to and from hotels/motels. It just seems fishy.

Oh Japandaaa, that Dixie Caverns area has always seemed creepy to me too. Cannot explain why though. I do like the Salem area and have relatives who live or have lived around there. My niece's home is on opposite side of W Main Street (turn there at Sheetz and go across RR tracks) and they are up in that subdivision. Only been up there about 1-1/2 years. It is also freaky how easy it is to get to the interstate there near Walmart, etc. and get on out of the area in a real hurry and can go in all directions in a flash. Saw a news article about a lady from NC today who evidently had not been seen since September and she apparently was found I think around here and she had been "walking" with no car, credit card use, etc. So it gave me a glimmer of hope for JRC, but it was considerably colder when she apparently left.

This lady was from Fayvetteville, NC and turned up in a shelter in Richmond, VA. Was in a missing people database. Told LE she arrived there on foot.

Wow Strawberry Fields that is a good story about the lady from Fayvetteville. I was wondering if maybe Joan/Renee could maybe be in a similar situation or if she is in a hospital unidentified somewhere.

The other thought is that she just simply walked away but I don't think so considering what she was doing to keep contact with her daughter.

It does appear that the daughter is with Joan/Renee's sister, the house has been foreclosed, the husband/father doesn't seem to be in sight these days. We don't know who the boyfriend was or where he was when Joan/Renee went missing - meaning no direction to start checking if she was travelling to meet him somewhere.

If the husband/father was travelling to Iowa to be near his sister he headed in the wrong direction because she is not in Iowa but rather is in Florida.

This is all so danged confusing and no information to go on really. One of the three (husband/gf/bf) needs to be more forthcoming as to where Joan/Renee was that night and where she was really headed for any real headway to be made in this.

Sorry for the rambling but have read the whole thread and did some looking around and there is not much information to go on.

Okay ya'all went into super sleuth mode and have a few questions for anybody who may be "in the know".

Was Joan/Renee's BF related to her GF and if yes, then there may be another whole can of wiggly worms to open.

Just wondering if anybody knows the answer to this - as we may have found something interesting.

Does anybody know yet where the husband went - is he still in town, left for Iowa to be with family or has he gone south to Florida?

Also bumping for Joan.

I live in North Beverly Heights, I have been following the thread for a while but lost track after the husband moved out of state.I have seen some activity at the house also but it looks like they were moving items out of the house. My mom works at a local bank and one of her customers came in that said she lived on Elderwood and told my mom that detectives knocked on her door about 3 weeks ago asking if it was ok for them to search her back yard.The lady said a body was found on the side of the neighborhood in the woods behind her house closest to interstate 81 but I had a hard time believing that was true. I haven't seen anything on the news and haven't seen any police in our nieghborhood in the last 3 weeks. I was just checking to see if anyone else had heard anything?

Okay ya'all went into super sleuth mode and have a few questions for anybody who may be "in the know".

Was Joan/Renee's BF related to her GF and if yes, then there may be another whole can of wiggly worms to open.

Just wondering if anybody knows the answer to this - as we may have found something interesting.

Does anybody know yet where the husband went - is he still in town, left for Iowa to be with family or has he gone south to Florida?

Also bumping for Joan.

What girlfriend are we talking about? I must have missed that....can someone fill me in please? Thanks a bunch.

She still had one gf in her life and when she wasn't with her bf, she was with her - got rides into work with the gf daughter.

I live in North Beverly Heights, I have been following the thread for a while but lost track after the husband moved out of state.I have seen some activity at the house also but it looks like they were moving items out of the house. My mom works at a local bank and one of her customers came in that said she lived on Elderwood and told my mom that detectives knocked on her door about 3 weeks ago asking if it was ok for them to search her back yard.The lady said a body was found on the side of the neighborhood in the woods behind her house closest to interstate 81 but I had a hard time believing that was true. I haven't seen anything on the news and haven't seen any police in our nieghborhood in the last 3 weeks. I was just checking to see if anyone else had heard anything?

I heard something about a body being found as well, but it was behind a house on Creekwood Dr. I've heard about it from numerous people yet I haven't read or seen it anywhere. Everyone has been curious about if this is true and if it there was a body found, why it never made the media.

Oops sorry, yes you are correct it was in the woods between Interstate 81 behind the houses of Creekwood Dr......how does that happen and no one knows anything?

Bumping for Joan....hoping the weather will warm up a bit here soon for a search...

Was up near the neighborhood where Joan disappeared today around noon and thought maybe something was going on as we saw 5 police cars all in a row, but no flashing lights or sirens.

Today is joan's daughter's 8th birthday - several news stations ran a story

http://www.wfir960.com/wire/stories/02631_JoanCook-Wrap-01-20-WEB_043832.asp
the 960am radio spot revealed that Joan's mom fears the worst and just wants to know the truth and for Joan to be found so that they can lay her to rest properly. Additionally, it is revealed that police drained a retention pond in their

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/wdbj-salem-womans-disappearance-sti-01202011,0,1766111.story
Wdbj7 news follow up story as she will be missing one year on Monday. States police can not classify her disappearance as a crime, but after investigation does not believe she would walk away. Mentions neighborhood canvassing, helicopter searches, cadaver dog searches...

Without any real idea where to start, I'd still like to look at the area and begin searching in the most likely areas near her home.

Thinking of you today Joan, and your family.

I kept telling myself that I would never join this site, no matter what was said, but things have gone a little too far. I don't understand why it is so important to know the names of the people involved in this case, just keep referring to them as "GF" and "BF".. and as far as where they live and what they do, there's a reason it's not in the media. It's very obvious that many of you didn't know Joan at all, while some are just here to try to help, others have become nosey and rude. Some of the information that has been posted about her has been inaccurate. I'm not sure who felt the need to bring up the "GF daughter", but you have no idea who you are referring to. She could be a 16 year old girl and she could be 25, either way.. that isn't a factor in this case. The page that was created on facebook for Joan was a way to get her name out so that if anyone had any information, it could be reported. It was NOT a way for the creator to express their feelings about the case. If someone feels as though more needs to happen with that page, then send requests to your friends so that they can add it as well. I personally knew Joan, I have dealt with this for almost one year. It's obvious that there is a lack of concern for the feelings of the people who have been referred to on this page. While I understand that a few names have been mentioned in the media, it's not ok to point the finger at these individuals. Joan is a wonderful person and finding her should be the only thing being discussed on this page.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindazKeeprzz69*
Back