VA VA - Joan Cook, 45, Roanoke County, 24 Jan 2010

by all means verify who I am, I am the sister of Joans ex-husband Mike. One of three sisters he has.

Not to be totally dense (which of course is always possible in my case :)), but can you elaborate on your statement? I have no idea what you're referring to as a certain bosy style seems to be becoming a trend in these cases I can think of 4 off the top of my head from VA that are missing or found deceased that fit the profile. Even if you meant "a certain boys' style seems to be becoming a trend" I'm still lost. Help.

I think it was a typo. 'a certain body style' (ht, wt, shape?)

what really bothers me is the height and weight associated with a certain bosy style seems to be becoming a trend in these cases I can think of 4 off the top of my head from VA that are missing or found deceased that fit the profile

Who are the four?

welcome to websleuths, Oliver and sorry for what you are going through.

Hello Oliver, Thank you for your information. We are wanting to help in any way we can. Do you know if there are any searches that are being planned? I'm local and would be more than willing to help in any organized searches.

ETA: One question if I may - is Joan married to a man with the initials of DAC?

The husband does NOT have the initials that you mention. Organized searches? How does THAT happen? I've tried all that I can....I don't know where to go from here.

Thank you for your response.

The husband does NOT have the initials that you mention. Organized searches? How does THAT happen? I've tried all that I can....I don't know where to go from here.

Thank you for your response.
Oliver, there are soooo many ways you could go here! Do not give up. Contact texas equusearch or the laura recovery center... they will help you print fliers, organize a search, etc... they have to be requested by family... so you would have to do that (if we could we would!)...

Thanks Oliver for your info regarding the initials. Oliver - also be very proactive in your sister's case. Be at the police dept. every day if you can and if not call them at least once each day. Let them know that you are not going away and that you need answers!

Nurse - thank you for responding to Oliver with info about the searches.

Get a life - I realize you are new here to WS - it is fine to respond to a post but it is not fine to attack a poster.

I was merely relating something that someone had passed along to me. If Joan was that into tanning, it may be worth checking tanning places in the local area to see if they know her and/or when was the last time she may have been in their place of business.

Any family members/friends out there who would care to give us some information about Joan that could help us find her?

What was she doing in the hours leading up to her leaving?
- Where had she been that day? At home? At a friends/visiting neighbors? Grocery store? Wal-Mart? Shopping Center?

Did Joan have a habit of leaving the house late in the evening, especially on foot?
- Did she do a lot of walking?
- Was she accustomed to the cold? Being out in the elements? (It was rainy and windy that night)
- Was she antsy/nervous?
- Did she make any phone calls/texts?

Was Joan a "girly girl" or was she more laid back/relaxed?
- What type of clothing did she prefer?
- Did she wear any kind of jewelry?
- Did she carry a pocketbook/purse?

When Joan left that evening, did she take anything with her, such as a change of clothing, make-up, hair stuff?

Can we get some clarity regarding her household situation? It's been said that she's still married but yet has/had a boyfriend and that she is not divorced from her husband.

That being said - we here at Websleuths do not judge background. I personally could care less whether she is married and has 10 boyfriends or is married to 5 guys. It doesn't matter what Joan has or hasn't done - We would just like to help find her and bring her home to her daughter. It doesn't matter if she is a drinker or not, it doesn't matter if she likes to party or not. Nothing clouds our wanting to help. Joan is a human being just like the rest of us. She deserves to be found. If someone has harmed Joan, G-d forbid, it is not her fault but the fault of whoever did this to her. We just want to help in any way we can.

Of course we don't need every specific detail of her life, but to at least have some honest generalizations about Joan and her activities up through her disappearance could help to shed light on where she may be, or who she may be with, etc.

If there are things that one knows of and chooses not to share here, that is understandable - however I hope all knowledge of Joan has been shared with local LE.

I removed the posts that were attacking or responding to a post that was attacking. It created a whole line of unpleasant conversation that we just don't need here.

Back to Joan, and no bickering, kiddos.

Hoppy
mod

Good questions, MB.

I'd like to know who lived in the household with Joan and her daughter (relationships, not names please). Also, who reported her missing and why did they wait a week to do so? I'm not sure I buy the story that it was because she disappeared on a regular basis.

I agree... If Joan disappeared on a regular basis what made it so different this time that it was reported to the police?

Why did it take so long for Joan's status to hit the media? And why has there been no follow up story since?

I would like to help in any way I can. I'm not a detective by any sense of the word in a professional capacity - but several of us have the ability to think outside the box and think logically and maybe could figure out some things.

I'm still not sure why a search hasn't been done. First place to look is in the area where she was last seen...and then 2nd place to search is where her cell phone last pinged. This is the time to be searching now...because it won't be much longer before these areas will be snake infested...and overgrown with what Spring brings...

If I understand this correctly - the last communication was via text message. That could have been ANYONE that placed that message - it doesn't mean that it was Joan that did it... - since there was no voice recognition... And ANYONE could have been driving down W. Main Street/Rt. 460W or I-81 South and thrown that phone as far as it would go...

Just looking at the VSP site I do not see Joan listed among the missing adults

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/MissingPersons.shtm

Maybe someone in the family can request that Joan be listed.

Has anyone started a FB or MS page for Joan? This is free and can pass the word around really quickly about Joan. Also additional photos can be placed so that we can have more than one pic to see.

Maybe we should start a letter writing campaign to the local media to do another story.

I want to apologize to my "fellow" posters. I am very passionate about preserving my sister's character and I had stepped over the line in my earlier posts. Please accept my apologies. I appreciate all of you that are trying to help find my sister. I pray that she will come back to us soon (right now would be great) and I pray for each and every one of you. Please accept my apologies for going too far in earlier posts. I need your help and will not go too far again. I thank you and pray for each and every one of you. Thank you.

Oliver - no problem - we fully understand. We sincerely want to help find your sister.

Is there any information that you can give us without compromising the investigation that you think could help us to give you and your family help?

I outlined a few questions in post #54. Are any of these questions answerable? Thanks!

Bumping for Joan...someone out there HAS to know something...

I saw someone that closely fits her description at I-81 Exit 137 about the same time she went missing. I remember it because it seemed so unusual to see a woman 'hitchhiking' alone. I say 'hitchhiking' because she was about 50 feet up the southbound ramp, like she was getting ready to hitchhike (I did not see her with her thumb out). She seemed a little confused or unsure of herself (looking around). In terms of description, this is all I remember:
Dark curly hair, roundish face
Nicer dark clothes-seemed better dressed than a 'transient'.
Colorful collar or scarf-maybe red as mentioned about the sweater.
Two bags-maybe one white-like a grocery bag. Bags seemed smaller than most 'hitchhikers' would use.
I saw her during the daylight. Could have been in the afternoon on the 24th or days thereafter. Just can't remember. I also can't say 100% that it was her.
I have reported all this information to the police.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back