VA - Justice for Jenny - Woman with Down syndrome forced to live in group home

does jenny have her own legal representation?

(i will read the links now but just saw this after a very long day.)

If you live in the area you know Andy Fox is like a bloodhound. He will find out the reasons her mother has some way, some how.

This kind of story is really annoying to me. It blows my mind how gung ho people are to pick up a headline and know part of the story and get all riled up and decide they don't know what is going on if they don't know the details.

Jenny's interview was a joke, she acted like an excited child and didn't give any very meaningful statements, just kept saying she's happy and doesn't like her mom and likes the other couple.

For all we know Jenny could have psychological issues that require her to take her medication and she doesn't want to take it and the mother is worried she may injure herself or others.

Her decision not to take Jenny back in the home could have something to do with outbursts. Even though Jenny seemed happy in the clip, she might be manic and depressed at other times.

The people advocating for Jenny have not explained her mother's reasons, they have simply demonized her.

She could well be a hideous woman, but it definitely seems to me that there is more going on here than we understand.

Ex. Jenny is cared for a Jewish organization right now and the family taking her in is Christian. We don't know anything about them at all. Maybe they are part of a cult type Christian evangelical group and the mother is worried.

Before taking a side it is important to get ALL the facts. It's annoying as all hell to me how people will just read the headline, and not be skeptical or critical at all at what they are being told by a totally ONE SIDED story.

Here's another story

http://articles.dailypress.com/2012..._1_hatch-case-margaret-jenny-hatch-group-home

Seems to me that there's an issue with Jenny being an employee of the couple as well. She is in a real position of being taken advantage of, and it seems like Jewish Services is concerned about her long term care, not just her immediate desires.

Although it's quite nice that this couple want to take her in, what would happen to her if something happened to them? She needs protections in place and they are seeking out the "Least Restrictive Environment" for her. There's no reason why she can't live in a group home which will be paid for by the stat and still go to work with the couple and visit them.

If the mother felt she was old enough and capable enough to leave the house and move out into a group home, and this couple came along and took her in, they are in essence treating her like an adopted child.

Found more here

http://articles.dailypress.com/2012...-news-circuit-court-group-home-guardianship/2

And what's going on is BAD. Not on the part of Jenny's mother but what the couple did. They got involved in a highly complicated process and totally messed up the way it was working.

Let me give you an example. A friend of mine has a severely mentally retarded sister. And although Jenny's much more highly functioning than this girl, the catalyst for this seems to be the accident which required Jenny to get medical intervention. The idiots should have STAYED OUT OF IT because they took her medicaid voucher and tried to have it waived.

Basically this means the girl is getting pulled out of a protective system designed to create a long term health plan and being bunted to the side. This couple is wrong and they are screwing her up.

No wonder the mother is furious.

Renie, (my friend's sister) was taken care of by the mother. Well guess what? Suddenly the mother died. Renie is now 57 years old and lives with her brother who is also very challenged. The mother died last year and just this week is the first time APS is going in to try to sort out what is going to happen in the long term.

Although Jenny is fine now, down the line if she has any medical issues she's going to have a major problem because the couple WAIVED the medicaid voucher. It seems like this process sorted it out. But it's not about Jenny not getting her freedom. It's about the sad reality that if she has any medical issues in the future, she needs to have that voucher.

After her accident, Talbert and Morris took her in to help her recover from the accident. At that point, they sought a Medicaid waiver to help her with her care. The Medicaid waiver process is highly competitive and there are thousands on the waiting list.

Talbert and Morris said they were overwhelmed with paperwork, fighting for her waiver, and caring for her physical problems after the accident. Morris said Hatch's limited mental capacity had nothing to do with their feeling of being overwhelmed.

In May, they in essence surrendered Hatch to the CSB, thinking that the Medicaid waiver would help with her care. Hatch was declared homeless, which pushed her to the front of the waiver line, and she was able to receive her waiver.

The couple admit that they stepped on some toes at the CSB.

"They thought we were manipulating the process," Morris said.

Talbert said at that point, they didn't realize that a group home setting could be detrimental. He said they believed Hatch would be placed near where she works, in Newport News, and be allowed to have her same personal freedoms.

Instead, she was placed in a group home in Portsmouth, where it was extremely difficult for them to contact her.

"We didn't know or think that the group homes would limit her freedoms so much," Talbert said.

"We wish we could go back in time and never have applied for that waiver," Morris said,

Bottom line to me, seems to be, that the mother knows she needs to get Jenny a specific care plan and the nice couple do gooders basically screwed up the process by offering to take her in.

Had they not done that, this would not be an issue. We're talking millions of dollars worth of care services for this woman's future. I sure hope they plan to take care of her forever.

The reason the mother probably "kicked her out" is that she would be declared homeless and then pushed to the front of the line.

Here's a post that is from Richard Hatch

Richard Hatch says:
February 11, 2013 at 3:38 pm
It is very interesting to see how many people “jump on the bandwagon” and sign petitions based on a one-sided story, filled with untruths and manipulation! Jenny is a wonderful daughter and well loved by her family and siblings. The decision to put her in a group home was a very hard and well thought out decision, based on what is best for Jenny, long term. An unselfish love. Jenny is very happy, it is only when she is being manipulated by these so-called “friends” that she gets upset. There is much more to the story then they are telling, and they often delete anyone from their Facebook that disagrees are tries to voice an opinion that is not theirs. We the family have taken the highroad and trust the legal system. Please be patient, after the final court dates this story will be published in many publications. Richard Hatch

Wow that is awful. Down's syndrome patient have increased risk of cancer, early onset Alzheimer's, vision problems, heart problems, etc. she needs health insurance. How did this couple get to know her to take her in anyway?

Found more here

http://articles.dailypress.com/2012...-news-circuit-court-group-home-guardianship/2

And what's going on is BAD. Not on the part of Jenny's mother but what the couple did. They got involved in a highly complicated process and totally messed up the way it was working.

Let me give you an example. A friend of mine has a severely mentally retarded sister. And although Jenny's much more highly functioning than this girl, the catalyst for this seems to be the accident which required Jenny to get medical intervention. The idiots should have STAYED OUT OF IT because they took her medicaid voucher and tried to have it waived.

Basically this means the girl is getting pulled out of a protective system designed to create a long term health plan and being bunted to the side. This couple is wrong and they are screwing her up.

No wonder the mother is furious.

Renie, (my friend's sister) was taken care of by the mother. Well guess what? Suddenly the mother died. Renie is now 57 years old and lives with her brother who is also very challenged. The mother died last year and just this week is the first time APS is going in to try to sort out what is going to happen in the long term.

Although Jenny is fine now, down the line if she has any medical issues she's going to have a major problem because the couple WAIVED the medicaid voucher. It seems like this process sorted it out. But it's not about Jenny not getting her freedom. It's about the sad reality that if she has any medical issues in the future, she needs to have that voucher.

Bottom line to me, seems to be, that the mother knows she needs to get Jenny a specific care plan and the nice couple do gooders basically screwed up the process by offering to take her in.

Had they not done that, this would not be an issue. We're talking millions of dollars worth of care services for this woman's future. I sure hope they plan to take care of her forever.

The reason the mother probably "kicked her out" is that she would be declared homeless and then pushed to the front of the line.

Here's a post that is from Richard Hatch

Richard Hatch says:
It is very interesting to see how many people “jump on the bandwagon” and sign petitions based on a one-sided story, filled with untruths and manipulation! Jenny is a wonderful daughter and well loved by her family and siblings. The decision to put her in a group home was a very hard and well thought out decision, based on what is best for Jenny, long term. An unselfish love. Jenny is very happy, it is only when she is being manipulated by these so-called “friends” that she gets upset. There is much more to the story then they are telling, and they often delete anyone from their Facebook that disagrees are tries to voice an opinion that is not theirs. We the family have taken the highroad and trust the legal system. Please be patient, after the final court dates this story will be published in many publications. Richard Hatch

The family really should have spoken out sooner. IMO; Them keeping quiet did not help this any.

I knew it would come out to be something like this! People who see alarming headlines should jump to conclusions and immediately start criticizing the way things are being handled before they know the whole story!

I did not jump to ANY conclusions. I did not see an alarming headline and assume anything. I spent hours researching this.
I waited several months to post this, because I was doing everything in my power to get the whole story. :banghead:

The mother runs away if anyone tries to interview her! She won't GIVE her side of the story. So what are we to do?
If this was MY child and I thought this couple was manipulating her or something, I would want everyone to know that!

If the mother "kicking her out" was done to get the waiver, then why didn't she surrender her just like this couple did?
If that was the goal, why didn't Jenny's mother simply contact the couple to explain the situation to them?

Yes, Jenny was excited in her interview. This reporter has spent so much time with her, he's like another family member!

Jenny could BE my daughter in 18 years, this is enormously personal to me.
If the family wants their side of the story heard then they need to give their side of the story. :twocents:

Wow that is awful. Down's syndrome patient have increased risk of cancer, early onset Alzheimer's, vision problems, heart problems, etc. she needs health insurance. How did this couple get to know her to take her in anyway?

Jenny worked for them before her mother kicked her out of the house.
When she started hanging around because she didn't want to go to the friend's house she was staying at, they took her in.

If Jenny had heart problems that would already be diagnosed. 50% of babies with DS are BORN with a heart defect.
Adults with Down syndrome get cancer LESS than other adults.

Cancers are actually considered "rare" in people with DS.
This is one of the reasons all the abortions of babies with DS are so infuriating.
Scientists are looking for a CURE to cancer in people with DS!
They get it so rarely scientists believe something on the extra chromosome has cancer fighting qualities.

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/413552/how-down-syndrome-stops-cancer/

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/05/090520140359.htm

People with DS are more likely to get childhood leukemia and they are also much more likely to beat it.

MsFacetious, is your understanding of the story you researched fundamentally different from Chewy's post?

I did not jump to ANY conclusions. I did not see an alarming headline and assume anything. I spent hours researching this.
I waited several months to post this, because I was doing everything in my power to get the whole story. :banghead:

The mother runs away if anyone tries to interview her! She won't GIVE her side of the story. So what are we to do?
If this was MY child and I thought this couple was manipulating her or something, I would want everyone to know that!

If the mother "kicking her out" was done to get the waiver, then why didn't she surrender her just like this couple did?
If that was the goal, why didn't Jenny's mother simply contact the couple to explain the situation to them?

Yes, Jenny was excited in her interview. This reporter has spent so much time with her, he's like another family member!

Jenny could BE my daughter in 18 years, this is enormously personal to me.
If the family wants their side of the story heard then they need to give their side of the story. :twocents:

Jenny worked for them before her mother kicked her out of the house.
When she started hanging around because she didn't want to go to the friend's house she was staying at, they took her in.

If Jenny had heart problems that would already be diagnosed. 50% of babies with DS are BORN with a heart defect.
Adults with Down syndrome get cancer LESS than other adults.

Cancers are actually considered "rare" in people with DS.
This is one of the reasons all the abortions of babies with DS are so infuriating.
Scientists are looking for a CURE to cancer in people with DS!
They get it so rarely scientists believe something on the extra chromosome has cancer fighting qualities.

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/413552/how-down-syndrome-stops-cancer/

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/05/090520140359.htm

People with DS are more likely to get childhood leukemia and they are also much more likely to beat it.

Well I guess I should have been more specific but I didn't think it would matter since it is after all very important that Downs Syndrome children and adults have health insurance. They do have increased incidence in some cancers. I'm a medical student and I learned all about it for the last 2 years. They have increased risk of leukemia as children and also as adults. Here's an excerpt if you don't believe it from me:

Hematologic malignancies such as leukemia are more common in children with DS.[36] In particular, acute lymphoblastic leukemiais at least 10 times more common in DS and the megakaryoblastic form of acute myelogenous leukemia is at least 50 times more common in DS. Transient leukemia is a form of leukemia that is rare in individuals without DS but affects up to 20 percent of newborns with DS.[37]

They also have increased risk of testicular cancer, but that wouldn't affect Jenny. And yes she would already have a heart defect. Still wouldn't decrease her need to have insurance. Having a defect can increase your risk of endocarditis amongst other problems... so you need access to care. Increased risk of thyroid problems, cataracts, glaucoma, hearing loss, they have increased laxity of the ligaments in the OA joint which can cause neurological problems from spinal cord compression. They really do need insurance, that's all I'm saying and if either side did anything to cause the loss of her insurance like it sounded like happened from the poster I responded to then that is horrible.

And I didn't say anything about DS babies needing to be aborted?? Not sure where that came from. And I didn't chide you for your opinion like some posters are doing. Only stated this individual needs access to care and payment for care. And if the couple prevented that for her then they are the wrong people for her and may not be capable of caring for a special needs person. I don't know the whole story and I haven't formed an opinion yet but I see 2 very different sides here.

The family really should have spoken out sooner. IMO; Them keeping quiet did not help this any.

The fact that they didn't speak out sooner is an indication to me that they don't care about public scrutiny but care about the best long term care for their daughter.

They couldn't speak out sooner because of the way the system is set up. This is not the first time this has happened.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/10/eva-cameron-abandoned-dev_n_1663334.html

In the above story, the mother abandoned her daughter in Tennessee because they have the best state help for homeless people with disabilities.

This story should not be an indictment on the parents. It should be an indictment on the systems in place to deal with adults with disabilities.

People who don't know how the system works always think it is logical and predictable. Parents and caregivers or case managers who know how the system works don't have the time or capability to explain to those who don't know. You often have to be sneaky or unethical to get what you need.

Example

A few years ago I gave advice to a couple online where the woman was asking for handouts via paypal.

She and her husband were being evicted from their son's apartment. I advised the woman to go to the local hospital and say that her husband was having chest pains and they thought he was having a heart attack.

Even though he wasn't.

Once he did this in the emergency room there would be a mandatory over night stay and she could request a case manager. Once she got the case manager she just needed to say they were homeless and he'd be bumped to the head of the list. The hospital would be liable and it would be resolved in weeks instead of years.

The woman got insulted and refused to do it. I also was attacked and criticized by everyone on the site who didn't understand what I was telling them.

This was in 2008.

Guess what? They are still struggling and waiting for services.

If she had done what I said, she would have an apartment by now. She's still on a waiting list.

People who don't understand SSI or medicaid should stay out of it.

To clarify, the story about Renie above.... the only reason they are coming NOW is because I called up anonymously and suggested that the brother was sexually assaulting her. I did this for the system because it was the only way to make it go faster.

Otherwise Renie would be a profoundly mentally retarded woman, living in a home with a mildly mentally retarded brother and not get care. She'd be waiting years.

The ONLY reason I made this accusation is that I knew the case manager and I said "I'm not sure but I'm worried and I think this is going on"

Had I done this legitimately everyone would go nuts on me. But it was the only way I knew to make it go faster to help my friend.

You see?

Don't judge until you know the whole story.

I'm not sure Believe. I'm still trying to sort through Chewy's posts. I am regretting posting this thread at all.
My hope was that people here would try and get to the bottom of it, not accuse me of jumping to conclusions about it.

Right now I am still trying to find where Jim and Kelly waived her Medicaid waiver.

Chewy said:

Although Jenny is fine now, down the line if she has any medical issues she's going to have a major problem because the couple WAIVED the medicaid voucher.

I am not seeing that. I am seeing where she DID receive it after they surrendered her.

"Hatch was declared homeless, which pushed her to the front of the waiver line, and she was able to receive her waiver."

Chewy (and possibly others, I'm freaking exhausted) -

I am extremely active in the Down syndrome community. I have seen the best and the worst.
I know how the system works. I have had to "cheat" the system just like you talk about.
I have showed up at the ER and refused to leave until we saw a specialist. My child couldn't wait another 8 months.

My kids are home schooled, because the school system here sucks.
I have fought for people to receive waivers and done fundraisers when medical equipment (like a ventilator) was denied.

I know all the statistics. I know all the medical issues. I have a 10 year old daughter with DS so I've been doing this a while.
She has AAI, is at risk for Leukemia because her WBC is weird, had a heart defect, also has Alopecia. I know all that.

My daughter also gets extremely excited just like Jenny to see people she knows. It doesn't make what she says "a joke."
She can also cook, clean, read, write, add, subtract, tell time, not to mention the Science and History she knows.

Jim and Kelly were able to "surrender" her to the CSB - thereby "manipulating" the process (just like you talk about.)
I am obviously too stupid to see why her mother couldn't have done that, ensuring Jenny wouldn't be on the street.

I also know that Jenny, as a person with Down syndrome... is much more likely to be abused.
I was once told at a seminar that 3 out 4 girls with DS will be abused. Kicking her out of her house is absurd.

I think the timeline might be a bit confused here as well, so let me clarify.

Jenny started working for Jim and Kelly in April 2008.

In January 2012 Jenny was kicked out of her house.
There is no indication of any major medical issues at this point.
No apparent reason her mother would kick her out to have her declared homeless to get the waiver.

In March 2012 Jenny was hit by a car riding her bicycle.

Jenny was kicked out of her house BEFORE she was hit by the car. BEFORE she had all the medical needs.

She had already been "homeless" for 2 months after she had been kicked out of the house.

Jim and Kelly took her in from the hospital because she had nowhere to go and needed care for her injuries.

If her mother DID kick her out to get her the waiver, she should have told the people her daughter worked for!
Jenny worked for these people for FOUR years before this happened.
They should have been informed so that they wouldn't be "idiots" and "screw it up."

If someone can get me Jenny's parents side of the story that's great. I've tried. Until then I can only go on what I have. :twocents:

How in the world can people start a campaign demonizing the mother and saying all these things if they don't have the whole story?

She was 28 years old. Her mother may have "kicked her out" in order for her to qualify for services. The wording of this is ridiculous. Saying she "kicked her out" makes it sound like the mother threw her on the street and she was literally homeless.

It seems to me that when she was kicked out she lived in a group home. She wasn't "homeless."

Earlier this year, Hatch was living semi-independently, including holding down a part-time job, maintaining her own bank account and doing other daily activities by herself or with minimal assistance, her friends said.

http://articles.dailypress.com/2012..._1_hatch-case-margaret-jenny-hatch-group-home

If the mother is doing something to circumvent the process she's not going to go to strangers and tell them what she is doing because it is unethical.

Like I said, there are plenty of vicious mothers out there, so if it comes to be that the mother is indeed this evil witch then GO JENNY

But it seems to have eluded people that the service providers involved have sided with the parents? They say Jenny is not addressing her medical needs.

I know very little about SSI Disability. But I do know that people have to be very careful what they are doing or they can put themselves in a position where they lose their services. Do you see now that the agency is trying to withdraw from the case? They might have to because of all this.

Here's a little example of how weird things can be.

In qualifying for Medicaid and other services as a senior citizen, it's based on your income.

Say for example you want to help out your mother by paying for her gas and electric bills and rent. The way the system is set up, if you PAY it, IOW you send off a check directly to gas and electric and landlord, then this is OK. However if you were to hand the exact same amount of money to your mother so she could pay it herself, it would then qualify as "income" and be added to her Social Security check. If she makes too much money she loses her services.

There are many different services offered to people in need. Some are "benefits" and some are "entitlements." They are not equal. (I always forget which is which so I might have this backwards) Benefits you get if you qualify, example, foodstamps. If you qualify for food stamps then you get them immediately. With the entitlements there is a waiting list. Example "Meals on Wheels" That waiting list can be YEARS long.

I had clients who died before their name ever came up on the list.

Housing in a group home isn't necessarily you just get it. If her parents wanted to pay for it they could pay for it. But if she's on medicaid the state pays for it.

So take a nursing home. If you have a parent who needs to go into a nursing home it can cost about $5000 a MONTH. Once the parent goes into the nursing home they drain all their money to pay for it and then they go on medicaid and it pays for it. By then the cost drops to $3000 a month.

When I had clients I would tell them to give their money to their kids or grandkids so that they'd immediately go on medicaid. But they'd often not want to do it.

Long term care is very expensive. If Jenny was homeless she's qualify to go to the top of the list and go into the group home and medicaid would pay for it.

Once the couple took her in, they tried to say "Hey we're not leaving her like this, we've got it, we love Jenny"

Well fantastic, but if that couple died in a car accident tomorrow Jenny would be completely screwed.

This is my interpretation of what is going on and I could be wrong, but I think many people don't understand what is happening here and have made a huge problem for this young woman they don't realize.

Her parents may have done this because they can't afford to pay for all she needs.

Chewy (and possibly others, I'm freaking exhausted) -

I am extremely active in the Down syndrome community. I have seen the best and the worst.
I know how the system works. I have had to "cheat" the system just like you talk about.
I have showed up at the ER and refused to leave until we saw a specialist. My child couldn't wait another 8 months.

My kids are home schooled, because the school system here sucks.
I have fought for people to receive waivers and done fundraisers when medical equipment (like a ventilator) was denied.

I know all the statistics. I know all the medical issues. I have a 10 year old daughter with DS so I've been doing this a while.
She has AAI, is at risk for Leukemia because her WBC is weird, had a heart defect, also has Alopecia. I know all that.

My daughter also gets extremely excited just like Jenny to see people she knows. It doesn't make what she says "a joke."
She can also cook, clean, read, write, add, subtract, tell time, not to mention the Science and History she knows.

Jim and Kelly were able to "surrender" her to the CSB - thereby "manipulating" the process (just like you talk about.)
I am obviously too stupid to see why her mother couldn't have done that, ensuring Jenny wouldn't be on the street.

I also know that Jenny, as a person with Down syndrome... is much more likely to be abused.
I was once told at a seminar that 3 out 4 girls with DS will be abused. Kicking her out of her house is absurd.

I think the timeline might be a bit confused here as well, so let me clarify.

Jenny started working for Jim and Kelly in April 2008.

In January 2012 Jenny was kicked out of her house.
There is no indication of any major medical issues at this point.
No apparent reason her mother would kick her out to have her declared homeless to get the waiver.

In March 2012 Jenny was hit by a car riding her bicycle.

Jenny was kicked out of her house BEFORE she was hit by the car. BEFORE she had all the medical needs.

If Jenny was hit by a car and broke her back for a week then why wasn't she taken to the hospital?

If she was taken to the hospital and rescued by the couple then they took her out of the system.

That would be like me showing up at the ER room while you are there with your child and saying "Hey don't worry, my brother is a doctor, he's got this, come home with me and get out of here."

Well great, but that only solves the immediate problem, it doesn't solve the long term problem.

You know more about this obviously because of your situation with your kids. However, your kids live with you and are minors. It's a whole different ball game when it's an adult.

Also when I said the interview with Jenny was a joke, I didn't mean Jenny was a joke, I meant they said they were going to interview her and she just said yes and no to questions she has answered a million times. Her answers were very childlike.

The way it was presented was that she was a mature and very capable young woman who could make decisions like this. That is NOT what it looked like in the interview to me. It looked like she is being manipulated to say "good sound bites"

Why in the world would the courts and the medical system side with her parents if the situation is the way it's being presented in the media?

What is a medicaid waiver?

http://www.thedesk.info/what-is-medicaid/faqs/

Basically she can lose the medicaid if she can't show she is in dire need. The state is not going to pay for her housing if she isn't in dire need.

We tend to think of it as "Well the parents should pay for it" but her parents also have to consider their own retirement needs. If Jenny is homeless and in need she will qualify.

If Jenny is living rent free somewhere, then the state is not going to pay for her housing.

Once she's out of that loop she can also lose her medical coverage. So she needs to be careful. This is why she only works 20 hours a week, I'm assuming, because if she works more than that she can lose her benefits.

Cost of residential group home for disabilities is around $1,000 a month. Her parents may not have been able to afford it, once she is in the home she's set. Once they took her out and said they'd take care of her, she'd lose her services.

IMO her parents and doctors are saying she's worse than she is medically in order to make sure she qualifies.

Once again, this seems to have nothing to do with mother being an evil dictator trying to make her child's life miserable. And if Jenny doesn't like her mother, as many young women do at her age, she may resent her interference. It could be they just don't get along.

How about this question. If the mother is so uncaring about Jenny then why did she apply for guardianship after this all went down? Why didn't the mother just say "Fine take her I hate her anyway."

Who in the world would involve themselves in all this red tape for no reason?

Like I said, there are plenty of vicious mothers out there, so if it comes to be that the mother is indeed this evil witch then GO JENNY.

Link?

This is my interpretation of what is going on and I could be wrong, but I think many people don't understand what is happening here and have made a huge problem for this young woman they don't realize.

Her parents may have done this because they can't afford to pay for all she needs.

From what I can find; none of what you said was in the links you added. We still are clueless what's going on. I'm not on anyone's "side". I know there are 2 sides to every story. Shame her family is not saying theirs.

Here is the quote by Richard. How do we even know he's related to Jenny? Even if he is; how does anyone know he's who he says he is?

Richard Hatch says:

Adult with Down Syndrome Fights for Independent Living

The fact that they didn't speak out sooner is an indication to me that they don't care about public scrutiny but care about the best long term care for their daughter.

They couldn't speak out sooner because of the way the system is set up. This is not the first time this has happened.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/10/eva-cameron-abandoned-dev_n_1663334.html

In the above story, the mother abandoned her daughter in Tennessee because they have the best state help for homeless people with disabilities.

This story should not be an indictment on the parents. It should be an indictment on the systems in place to deal with adults with disabilities.

I linked that story post 19
I just found this interesting story trying to look for another Jane Doe

Mom who Abandoned Developmentally Disabled Daughter In Tennessee Bar, Faces No Charges

lso when I said the interview with Jenny was a joke, I didn't mean Jenny was a joke, I meant they said they were going to interview her and she just said yes and no to questions she has answered a million times. Her answers were very childlike.

The way it was presented was that she was a mature and very capable young woman who could make decisions like this. That is NOT what it looked like in the interview to me. It looked like she is being manipulated to say "good sound bites"

Why in the world would the courts and the medical system side with her parents if the situation is the way it's being presented in the media?

What interview?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back