VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM - now that's not ominous at all.. though I do wonder what sorts of "things of interest" could be found in her discarded luggage.. Maybe it's what wasn't found that's interesting?
Maybe the things in her suitcase didn't match the things she was known to have packed before she traveled from AZ.

IMO there is no way Katelin would leave on her on own accord.She had a relationship back in Arizona and college to look forward to.I don't believe for one second she left Spotsylvania.I have lived in this town for a long time,and only locals would be familiar with where the suitcase was dumped.I hope answers come soon and you can bet someone is very nervous right now.

I'm praying for the best but I don't see this as having a good outcome.

Katelin's fiance spoke:

"She flew out there on the first and she was supposed to come back here on the fifth," Amber Rios said from her home in Arizona. She and Katelin moved there last year. She says her fiancé, who she knew since they were young children, was excited to travel back to Virginia for a few days. "Her sister just had a baby, so she was going out there to meet her nephew,” Rios said.

In other details:

Katelin's stepfather dropped her off to catch a metro outside of a Northern Virginia mall which was supposed to take her to the airport. She never boarded her flight, despite a text message sent to her family saying she made it to the airport.

In her luggage, investigators found that her clothes and cell phone were missing, but her bank card was still inside.

Katelin's loved ones say she may be wearing a dark gray fleece pullover sweater with a Bass Pro Shop emblem on it, as well as pink and grey Vans brand shoes.

Deputies have subpoenaed records from Aken's cell provider to determine where the text was sent from saying she made it to the airport.

Her family is planning a search for her on Saturday.

http://www.nbc12.com/story/30699551/missing-spotsylvania-womans-fianc-i-dont-know-what-to-think

Was she visiting with her stepdad and is her stepdad still with her mom?

Was she visiting with her stepdad and is her stepdad still with her mom?

Her visit back home was to meet her newborn nephew and she was staying at her mom's house. The mom and stepdad are divorced and live at separate residences.

Her visit back home was to meet her newborn nephew and she was staying at her mom's house. The mom and stepdad are divorced and live at separate residences.

Opppss didn't see you had already answered!

Also if they have surveillance footage of her in Springfield that mean the popular theory she never left Spotsy doesn't hold water either..so after that she (or someone) had to text her mom she was boarding the plane and then she (or just her luggage) had to travel back to Spotsy where it was dumped..this makes it even more confusing for me..

Interesting little bit of info in this update for those thinking about the stepfather being involved..

http://wjla.com/news/local/spotsylv...-seen-taking-metro-to-reagan-national-airport

From the above link
"Spotsylvania Sheriff's Office investigators say surveillance cameras corroborate Katelin Akens' stepfather's account of events surrounding the disappearance of the teen."

I'm more confused than ever. I thought they were unable to find her in the cameras.
It wouldn't be the first time LE lies, still confused though😕

So she was seen on camera after all. I wonder which cameras and if there was an indication she was heading anywhere other than where she was supposed to be going?

Interesting little bit of info in this update for those thinking about the stepfather being involved..

http://wjla.com/news/local/spotsylv...-seen-taking-metro-to-reagan-national-airport

For this to be true they don't just need her entering the mall, they need proof he left the mall and returned alone, otherwise all they have is proof she entered the mall - and it would need to show she had her luggage with her. For me, the luggage ending up in his living zone and "awareness space" is important. I've also noticed VA police in particular, over many cases, to be very elusive and experts at misinformation. All for good reason, of course. A few possible scenarios come to mind:

1. He waited for her and the incident happened after the mall trip
2. she left her bag in the car but had her phone, he left with it, she ends up stranded . He dumps her stuff either out of derision or after she goes missing because he thinks it will incriminate him. (If he touched her bag at all it should have fingerprints)
3. He dropped her off as stated, she entered with her bag, and something happened in the metro or another unpopulated area
4. She met someone there and staged her disappearance, dumping her stuff all the way back in Spotsy (to purposely deflect on him or frame him or because it is on the way to her mom's?) or met someone she knew who is from that area.

While stepdad is not a suspect according to Stephen Tschida's tweet (which is not a quote from LE and is not repeated in the article) , he is the last to see her so is a person of interest no matter what, so don't think they aren't looking at him. With regards to WS TOS we should still wait for an official statement before discussing his particulars openly or judging him in any way.

I also noticed in one of the interviews the sheriff slipped and used the past tense when referring to Katelin. He started to say "She was..." then changed it to "She is a bright girl" or something along those lines. It stood out because he kind of stumbled on the words and there was a second of awkwardness.

Have they mentioned the stepfather's name anywhere? It strikes me that they have not said more about his story.

Didn't the stepfather say that the original plan was to take her to the airport but she instead asked to go to the mall first and then said she'd take the Metro? Perhaps I missed where the surveillance video was captured in the latest article but if it confirms the stepfather's story then I would assume it was in the mall. If that's the case then he could have waited in the parking lot for her with her luggage so that she wouldn't have to drag her luggage around. She may have just wanted to buy something quickly from the mall bc it's so much cheaper than the airport typically. It's possible that something happened in the quick commute from the mall to the Metro (perhaps her errand took too long and caused a fight?).

Please note that I'm not making any accusations. I am merely stating that IMO, without more clarity, the new article regarding the surveillance doesn't eliminate anyone as a potential suspect in my mind.

In a way I feel like partial facts only muddies the waters. Unfortunately reporters can only report what they are told. Twitter seems to have increased the amount of reporting vs journalism. IMO

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member