VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you scroll down at this link, it shows that the mall and metro station is 1 mile by car:

http://patch.com/virginia/arlington-va/missing-teen-was-supposed-catch-flight-reagan-national-police

It appears the Franconia-Springfield station is on the other side of 289, not the destination you linked above in Google. The blue M is the Metro.

Thanks, still makes it under a mile walking but barely 0.9 . It says it would take 18 minutes to walk. Also there is a bus line. I don't think she was at the town center but it isn't completely unbelievable she could have been dropped off there.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Franconia-Springfield+Station,+6880+Frontier+Drive,+Springfield,+VA+22150/Springfield+Town+Center,+6500+Springfield+Mall,+Springfield,+VA+22150/@38.7703279,-77.174389,1505m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x89b7ad662b07c9e9:0xb59156f848cd39bb!2m2!1d-77.1682579!2d38.766411!1m5!1m1!1s0x89b7ad5efa1b3c67:0x2aa418f64eff8071!2m2!1d-77.1736794!2d38.7744688!3e2?hl=en-US

Do we know yet if she was flying into Phoenix Sky Harbor or Tuscon International? I assume PSH, but I wonder if there was someone at the other side expecting to get her that could help us. There's no "metro" from PSH to anywhere - Arizona is extraordinarily lacking in the public transit scene - so someone had to have been waiting to pick her up. What time was that flight meant to arrive?

I really hope there is search warrants for ex step's home and vehicle. I would think if nothing to hide would be volunteered. JMO

First off, I'm going to say it...Why in the hello didn't the "mother" drive her daughter to the airport? My daughter is 28 years old and I still drive her to and pick her up from the airport when she flies in to visit. My time with my daughter is precious and I want to spend every minute I can with her.

I can understand feeling that way. I am 35 and when I would fly into Orlando to visit my parents before my mother's recent passing she would always make the drive to pick me up even though it was between 90 min and 2 hours one way. Whenever I would visit them in NJ where they spent the other half of the year I always took a shuttle. The first couple of times I did feel a little disappointed by it and took it personally. I quickly realized that navigating the highways in the NE is unpredictable and the shuttle service knew several routes to avoid traffic.

For work reasons I flew in and out of Reagan every week for almost 2 years. That area can be prone to traffic jams and whatnot. I'm willing to give the mother the benefit of the doubt because there are so many reasons that could exist that we may not be aware. I have no doubt that my own mother's use of the shuttle wasn't a sign of diminished love and I was more than willing to spare her the added stress of the drive to Newark.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

she went to river bend high school at some point which is close to where her luggage is found.
My mom lives in caroline ,as do other family members and the mapped route is not a reasonable travel route from the metro. It really isn't even a reasonable road to think your going to hide evidence on unless you know the area. River road itself is placed in the middle of a very populated area .it opens up each end onto very busy roads. If you live and work in route 3 river road might seem like a great place to dump something,but as a place to drive to with the purpose of ditching luggage while . I dont see it .there are tons of isolated roads.
I can see someone who has to work or lives in the area thinking it is the most isolated road they know of and are closest too.

there is a quarry , i hope if foul play is suspected it is searched.
http://fambe.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/fredericksburg-quarry-edition-003.pdf

bbm: :(

She went to River Bend HIgh School at some point which is close to where her luggage is found.
My mom lives in Caroline ,as do other family members and the mapped route is not a reasonable travel route from the metro. It really isn't even a reasonable road to think your going to hide evidence on unless you know the area. River road itself is placed in the middle of a very populated area .It opens up each end onto very busy roads. If you live and work in Route 3 river road might seem like a great place to dump something,but as a place to drive to with the purpose of ditching luggage while . I dont see it .There are tons of isolated roads.
I can see someone who has to work or lives in the area thinking it is the most isolated road they know of and are closest too.

There is a quarry , I hope if foul play is suspected it is searched.
http://fambe.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Fredericksburg-Quarry-Edition-003.pdf

Thanks for the local insights! My husband's family lives in Fredericksburg, I agree about River Road being kind of in the middle of things. IMO that would make it a good quick dumping place for anybody that wants to get in and out to dump something quickly and get back on 3 or 95.

Do we know where the step-person lives in Spotslyvania? Also are LE searching the river?

Heads up, we are hopefully going to have a VI on here soon that will be able to clarify some things. She's in the process of getting registered and verified, so hopefully the process will go quickly and we'll be able to welcome her and give her our support!

Does she have (step)siblings in stepdad's house that she might want to see?

There are plenty of people who continue to have a relationship with a (formerly?) abusive relative.

The mall story seems fishy. The person is on their way back to AZ, needs to catch a flight.....and anything bought at the mall would have to be dragged onto the plane. Anything available at the mall would be easily available anywhere else (and back in AZ, too).....and any 'last minute necessities' would be available at a drug store, or at the airport.

There is a shuttle from the Springfield Mall to the Metro.....but it doesn't run on weekends. The Springfield / Franconia metro goes straight to Reagan airport, and the Metro stop exits directly inside the airport terminal.

My bet is she never went to the mall, either.

The information being put out is a little confusing. This text msg that the mother got, was it suppose to be verification that Katelin made it to the Town Centre, the airport, or back home? The fact that her luggage didn't seem to make it to any of those destinations makes me think, that whoever sent that msg, knows exactly what happened to Katelin and I don't think it has anything to do with a voluntary disappearance either. jmo

Her mother told Richmond’s CBS affiliate that she was dropped off at Springfield Town Centre. “She texted and said she made it there, but we don’t know if that’s true,” Lisa Sullivan told the TV station.

http://patch.com/virginia/arlington-va/missing-teen-was-supposed-catch-flight-reagan-national-police

The information being put out is a little confusing. This text msg that the mother got, was it suppose to be verification that Katelin made it to the Town Centre, the airport, or back home? The fact that her luggage didn't seem to make it to any of those destinations makes me think, that whoever sent that msg, knows exactly what happened to Katelin and I don't think it has anything to do with a voluntary disappearance either. jmo

I agree that it is confusing. This articles states that "The mother says she got a text message on Saturday saying Katelin had boarded the plane, however, it turns out she never boarded the plane."

http://m.nbc12.com/nbc12/db_/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=1Xo1XeEs

I just wanted to add that I agree with you about somebody knowing where Katelin was expected to be vs where she was and deliberately tried to prolong concern.

Sullivan [Her mom] says the teen’s stepdad told her Akens decided she wanted to go to Springfield Mall first. She then planned to take the Franconia-Springfield metro to Reagan National Airport. At this point, police cannot confirm that Akens left Spotsylvania.

http://wric.com/2015/12/07/luggage-found-of-missing-spotsylvania-19-year-old-female/

bbm

Luggage found in Spotsylvania.

The part you bolded about LE not being able to verify that Kaitlin ever left Spotsylvania makes me very sad. I'm assuming that LE have gone over surveillance tapes (mall, metro, airport) and have found no trace of Kaitlin.

I mean, I hate to say it, but at this point this all sounds sadly unmysterious. Given the luggage in Spotsylvania, there's basically no chance she ever left (unless there's a huge piece of the story missing); and, since the last person to see her says that she did...

Any surveillance videos confirming her whereabouts at this mall or the airport or anything?

It's an hour's drive from Spotsylvania (where the stepdad lives) to the Franconia-Springfield station.

Would there be a closer Metro?? Seems quite a distance, then he expected her to grab a train to Regan, and she says drop me off at the mall instead??? Why not just drive her a few more miles to the airport, know that she made it safe, etc.?

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Fra...70dbbb0cfec22b9!2m2!1d-77.6077865!2d38.204165

I used to live in this area and the Springfield Metro station is the southernmost station closest to Spotsylvania. The line doesn't go that far south it's just for the DC metro area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeymourMann