VA VA - Kelly Bergh Dove, 20, Harrisonburg, 18 June 1982

The was an article published in the Daily News Record (Harrisonburg, VA) on Saturday, June 16th. No new info - just heartbreaking interviews with relatives.

The Doe Network has updated Kelly's vitals - added height, weight, dental info.

It is tragic and it beats me why the cops didn't come after the first call-also, why didn't she lock the gas station door so the guy couldn't come into the store?

I thought the same thing why didnt she lock the door?
2 minutes and she was gone. I do kind of believe the mother though that I think the police may have lied about how quickly they got there, they didnt seem to care the last 2 times she called, why did they rush there the 3rd time.
Too many cases about young girls working alone in a store with no cameras in a isolated area

I am curious, though, at that time, in that area, was there any "logical" place to have dumped the body-woods, park, quarry? Has the area changed much?

I wish that when the police didn't come she had locked the door and called a family member. I know that if she was my kid and called for help I would have been there before she hung up the phone! I hope this is solved one day.

Unfortunately I don’t think this case will be. It’s sad. I also fault the police for not acting sooner.

35 years later, Kelly Bergh-Dove family still searching for answers

http://www.whsv.com/content/news/Family-and-friends-remember-Kelly-Bergh-Dove--441815083.html

Bergh-Dove's family and friends gathered on Saturday to remind the community of the cold case following a partnership with the Aware Foundation.

With Kelly's birthday just days away, her sister Elaine said she's still holding out hope for answers.

"As far as closure, I don't really have any yet. When we find Kelly, I'll have closure. A little bit," said Elaine Bergh.

Missing persons case of Virginia mother Kelly Bergh-Dove remains unsolved 36 years later

cropped_7628d38803734ebdb4e9afd508ef8248.nbcnews-ux-1024-900.jpg

It is cases like this one where I wish Debardeben's photos and crime details would be able to be shared with the public. The calculated victim selection reminds me of the skill that MD was known for.

Also in the early 1980s another woman was taken from a convenience store while she worked the night shift. • Cynthia Marie Clements, 19, of Pinellas Park, FL on Oct. 14, 1980, apparently was abducted from a convenience store and murdered. James Delano Winkles confessed to abducting and later killing Cynthia. Cynthia's abduction from her convenience store job occurred in Florida two years prior to Kelly Dove's encounter with the menacing man in Harrisonburg, VA who abducted her.
James Winkles | Real Life Monsters

James Delano Winkles | Murderpedia, the encyclopedia of murderers
Delano has slipped under the radar of sleuths. He deserves investigation.

Bumping for Kelly.. Wondering if the individuals who abducted the Lyon sisters from MD in 1975 would have been possibly involved in this. They had ties to the region.

Kelly Bergh Dove

lBDid2nG4sn7ljUF8tDHn9DKo_wM8d_0FC0Q5MJr-fjN3kMgECDpnzv2vlKUSz-4yrtj_VON1sVn2enxrdu35d2SeIlDxQB19iOgTcC83cejLmNAwORWTqVugaPtWXLPKA

Sex: Female

Race: White

Hair: Brown

Eyes: Brown

Height: 5'0"

Weight: 100lbs

Missing From: Harrisonburg, Virginia

Missing Since: 06/18/1982

Details: Kelly was abducted by a stranger from a service station. She was wearing a light colored v-neck sweater with pin stripes, tan pants, sandals, and glasses. She has a scar on her left elbow, a scar on her forehead at the hairline, and a scar on the back of her head.

Virginia State Police

It's frustrating that she made 3 calls to police, provided information to them, and she still ended up missing with no justice. I can't imagine the terror she probably felt as she realized the police weren't going to help her.

I listened to a podcast about Kelly yesterday on the Trace Evidence Podcast. They are thinking she could be a Jane Doe found in a landfill in Chesterfield VA The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
This Jane Doe has a ton of rule outs and I am surprised they haven't looked into a match with Kelly sooner. I guess they are waiting on the DNA comparison.

Police reopen case of Kelly Bergh-Dove disappearance

4W7CIFWNJRCOLDERMCHWXDKP4Q.png

(click on image to enlarge)

One of them happened almost 40 years ago, when 20-year-old Kelly Bergh-Dove was abducted while she was working overnight at a gas station. All these years later, Harrisonburg police have officially reopened the case.

“It’s been a long 38 years,” says Rachel Bergh, Kelly’s mother. “This year has been harder for me. I usually cope with it. And you know, it bothers me. But this year [on the anniversary of Kelly’s disappearance], I cried all day.”
---
New investigators, but not much movement. But this year, thanks to a pair of fresh eyes, Harrisonburg Police Department has officially reopened Kelly’s case.
---
On the night of June 17th, 1982, Kelly had switched shifts with her sister. The gas station was busy that Thursday night, but she made time to call and chat with her mother.

“Then we said goodnight, see you tomorrow,” says Rachel. “I guess I was the last one to talk to her.”

But that wasn’t the last time Kelly picked up the phone. Just before 2:30 that Friday morning, she called police more than once.
---
In that emergency call, Kelly mentions the gas station received what she called an “obscene phone call.” She said a man, who was previously in the store was quote “dressed improperly,” and she stated she saw him driving through the parking lot. In another call made a few minutes later, the tape skips. But Kelly told dispatch he was back and he was driving a “silver-colored ford.”

“I could tell in her voice that she was really scared,” said Elaine, referring to when she heard a recording of the call.
---
Now, nearly 40 years later, Det. Brooke Wetherell can’t physically go back in time, but she’s using old reports and evidence to find new leads.
---
She says Kelly was not the only person to go missing in Virginia during that time in the early 80′s. In the years around when Kelly was abducted, there are records that other gas station attendants called police and reported instances of indecent exposure.
---
“I know it won’t bring Kelly back, but as far to know that that person is off the streets and we laid her to rest and we know where she’s at, it would feel amazing,” says Elaine.

“It would mean peace,” says Rachel.

This is where the family and police need your help. Detective Wetherell says there’s an important piece of the puzzle they’re missing. She asks if you were in the area or have any information about what happened the night Kelly disappeared to call Harrisonburg Police.

Police reopen case of Kelly Bergh-Dove disappearance

Kelly Bergh Dove

kelly_bergh_dove_1.jpg
kelly_bergh_dove_2.jpg
dove_kelly3.jpg

• Missing Since 06/18/1982
  • Missing From Harrisonburg, Virginia
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 08/30/1961 (58)
  • Age 20 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'1, 105 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A light-colored pinstriped v-neck sweater, tan or cream-colored slacks, sandals and a Turner Ashby High School class ring.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair. Dove has a partial plate in place of her two front teeth. She wears contact lenses or eyeglasses. She has a scar on the back of her head, a scar on her forehead at the hairline and a scar on the back of her head. Dove smoked cigarettes in 1982.
Details of Disappearance

Dove was last seen working at the Imperial gas station on south Main Street, Route 11, in Harrisonburg, Virginia on June 18, 1982. The station was located on an isolated section of road a mile south of the James Madison University. Dove's three sisters also worked there; she had traded shifts with one of them that night.

During her shift, Dove called the Harrisonburg Police Department to report a male customer was harassing her. She explained she was working alone and asked the police to "keep an eye" on her. A short time later, she called the police again and said the man had come into the station and was "dressed improperly."

At 2:30 a.m. Dove called authorities a third time, sounding frightened. She said she had received an anonymous, obscene phone call and the man was back and driving a silver or gray vehicle, possibly a Ford. She asked the police to send someone to help her.

Authorities stated they arrived at the gas station only two minutes after Dove terminated the conversation, but she wasn't there. Her purse and a magazine she'd been reading were left undisturbed on the counter, and a cigarette had burned out in an ashtray. There were no indications that the store had been robbed, no signs of a struggle and no clues as to Dove's whereabouts. She has never been heard from again.

Investigators estimated it would have taken as little as 15 seconds to abduct Dove, force her into a vehicle and drive away. Her family thinks whoever took her must have been armed; they described her as the sort of person who would have fought back if she could have.

Someone working at a nearby convenience store said a man driving a gray car stopped at the store about about half an hour before Dove disappeared. The witness described the man as 20 to 25 years old, with shoulder-length blond hair. It hasn't been proven he was involved in Dove's disappearance.

Dove's four sisters worked at the same gas station as she did, and they stated obscene calls and gestures were very common when women were working there alone at night. However, the calls stopped almost entirely after Dove disappeared; in the six weeks following her apparent abduction, the station got only one such call.

Dove's parents believe a man she went to high school with was responsible for her disappearance. This individual, who has not been named publicly, had a record for indecent exposure and making obscene telephone calls. He has never been charged in connection with her case.

Dove had been married for five years by the time of her disappearance and lived in Bridgewater, Virginia with her husband and four-year-old daughter. She was declared legally dead in 1989, and the gas station has since been torn down. Dove's case remains unsolved.

Kelly Bergh Dove – The Charley Project

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaEvans52
Back