VA VA - Kelly Bergh Dove, 20, Harrisonburg, 18 June 1982

Kelly Bergh Dove – The Charley Project

Last updated July 15, 2021; picture added, details of disappearance updated.

Several photos at link above.

Details of Disappearance
Dove was last seen working at the Imperial gas station on south Main Street, Route 11, in Harrisonburg, Virginia on June 18, 1982. The station was located on an isolated section of road a mile south of the James Madison University. Dove's sisters also worked there; she had traded shifts with one of them that night.

During her shift, Dove called the Harrisonburg Police Department to report a male customer was harassing her. She explained she was working alone and asked the police to "keep an eye" on her. A short time later, she called the police again and said the man had come into the station and was "dressed improperly." It's not clear what she meant by this, but it's possible the man was exposing himself to her.

At 2:30 a.m. Dove called authorities a third time, sounding frightened. She said the man was back and he used a pay phone outside the gas station to call her and make obscene comments. She said he was driving a silver or gray vehicle, possibly a Ford, and asked the police to send someone to help her. There was a shuffling noise, then the line went dead.

Authorities stated they arrived at the gas station only two minutes after the conversation terminated, but no one was there. Dove's purse and a magazine she'd been reading were left undisturbed on the counter, and a cigarette had burned out in an ashtray. There were no indications that the store had been robbed, no signs of a struggle and no clues as to Dove's whereabouts. She has never been heard from again.

Investigators estimated it would have taken as little as 15 seconds to abduct Dove, force her into a vehicle and drive away. Her family thinks whoever took her must have been armed; they described her as the sort of person who would have fought back if she could have.

Someone working at a nearby convenience store said a man driving a gray car stopped at the store about about half an hour before Dove disappeared. The witness described the man as 20 to 25 years old, with shoulder-length blond hair. It hasn't been proven he was involved in Dove's disappearance.

Dove's sisters stated obscene calls and gestures were very common when women were working at the gas station alone at night. However, the calls stopped almost entirely after Dove disappeared; in the six weeks following her apparent abduction, the station got only one such call.

Dove's parents believe a man she went to high school with was responsible for her disappearance. This individual, who has not been named publicly, had a record for indecent exposure and making obscene telephone calls. He has never been charged in connection with her case. Investigators do not believe Dove was specifically targeted by anyone; they think her presumed abduction was a crime of opportunity, committed after the kidnapper noticed there was a woman working at the isolated gas station alone.

Dove had been married for five years by the time of her disappearance and lived in Bridgewater, Virginia with her husband and four-year-old daughter. Her loved ones stated she was happy with her marriage and being a mother, and had no reason to leave of her own accord. After Dove disappeared, her parents raised her daughter. She was declared legally dead in 1989, and the gas station has since been torn down. Her case remains unsolved.

Just read about this case and i wonder if Kelly family ever submitted to Unsolved Mysteries in the 90s i could see them making this abduction really creepy similar to the Angela Hammond Abduction.

Hate to ask but i believe trace evidence mention kelly placed three calls to 911 were those calls ever recorded and released or did they not record calls in 1982?

Dove, 20, vanished while working at the Imperial Gas Station around 2:30 a.m. on June 18, 1982.

“Where is she? Who did this? Why?” said her sister Elaine Bergh in 2022. “Will we ever find her?”

Harrisonburg Police Department investigated Kelly’s disappearance in 1982 and classified it as an abduction.

Police, for the first time, publicly released Kelly’s first of two 911 calls she made early that Thursday morning in 1982.

Kelly’s first call came around 2:27 a.m.

“I’m working the third shift at the Imperial Gas Station. I just had an obscene phone call. This guy came in earlier and he was kind of dressed improperly but I kind of ignored him. I think it was that guy because he just drove through the parking lot for a few seconds before I got the call. Could, you know, have somebody come keep an eye on me?” Kelly said to the 911 dispatcher.

Police said they dispatched an officer to the gas station.

Kelly called 911, again, around 2:29 a.m. While investigators did not release the second 911 tape, they said she described the vehicle the man was driving as a silver Ford.

When police arrived at 2:31 a.m., Kelly had vanished. Her belongings were untouched.

Police in 1982 interviewed suspects, however, no arrest was made. Years went by. Kelly’s case became cold. She was declared legally dead in 1989.

Dove, 20, vanished while working at the Imperial Gas Station around 2:30 a.m. on June 18, 1982.

“Where is she? Who did this? Why?” said her sister Elaine Bergh in 2022. “Will we ever find her?”

Harrisonburg Police Department investigated Kelly’s disappearance in 1982 and classified it as an abduction.

Police, for the first time, publicly released Kelly’s first of two 911 calls she made early that Thursday morning in 1982.

Kelly’s first call came around 2:27 a.m.

“I’m working the third shift at the Imperial Gas Station. I just had an obscene phone call. This guy came in earlier and he was kind of dressed improperly but I kind of ignored him. I think it was that guy because he just drove through the parking lot for a few seconds before I got the call. Could, you know, have somebody come keep an eye on me?” Kelly said to the 911 dispatcher.

Police said they dispatched an officer to the gas station.

Kelly called 911, again, around 2:29 a.m. While investigators did not release the second 911 tape, they said she described the vehicle the man was driving as a silver Ford.

When police arrived at 2:31 a.m., Kelly had vanished. Her belongings were untouched.

Police in 1982 interviewed suspects, however, no arrest was made. Years went by. Kelly’s case became cold. She was declared legally dead in 1989.
I just saw this today! Think about her a lot as this is close to home. I really hope this family can have some peace

Missing 40 years...

Kelly Bergh Dove​

kelly_bergh_dove_1.jpg
kelly_bergh_dove_2.jpg
dove_kelly3.jpg

• Missing Since 06/18/1982
  • Missing From Harrisonburg, Virginia
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 08/30/1961 (60)
  • Age 20 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'1, 105 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A light-colored pinstriped v-neck sweater, tan or cream-colored slacks, sandals and a Turner Ashby High School class ring.
  • Associated Vehicle(s)A silver or gray vehicle, possibly a Ford
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair. Dove has a partial plate in place of her two front teeth. She wears contact lenses or eyeglasses. She has a scar on the back of her head, a scar on her forehead at the hairline and a scar on the back of her head. Dove smoked cigarettes in 1982.

Details of Disappearance​

Dove was last seen working at the Imperial gas station on south Main Street, Route 11, in Harrisonburg, Virginia on June 18, 1982. The station was located on an isolated section of road a mile south of the James Madison University. Dove's sisters also worked there; she had traded shifts with one of them that night.

During her shift, Dove called the Harrisonburg Police Department to report a male customer was harassing her. She explained she was working alone and asked the police to "keep an eye" on her. A short time later, she called the police again and said the man had come into the station and was "dressed improperly." It's not clear what she meant by this, but it's possible the man was exposing himself to her.

At 2:30 a.m. Dove called authorities a third time, sounding frightened. She said the man was back and he used a pay phone outside the gas station to call her and make obscene comments. She said he was driving a silver or gray vehicle, possibly a Ford, and asked the police to send someone to help her. There was a shuffling noise, then the line went dead.

Authorities stated they arrived at the gas station only two minutes after the conversation terminated, but no one was there. Dove's purse and a magazine she'd been reading were left undisturbed on the counter, and a cigarette had burned out in an ashtray. There were no indications that the store had been robbed, no signs of a struggle and no clues as to Dove's whereabouts. She has never been heard from again.

Investigators estimated it would have taken as little as 15 seconds to abduct Dove, force her into a vehicle and drive away. Her family thinks whoever took her must have been armed; they described her as the sort of person who would have fought back if she could have.

Someone working at a nearby convenience store said a man driving a gray car stopped at the store about about half an hour before Dove disappeared. The witness described the man as 20 to 25 years old, with shoulder-length blond hair. It hasn't been proven he was involved in Dove's disappearance.

Dove's sisters stated obscene calls and gestures were very common when women were working at the gas station alone at night. However, the calls stopped almost entirely after Dove disappeared; in the six weeks following her apparent abduction, the station got only one such call.

Dove's parents believe a man she went to high school with was responsible for her disappearance. This individual, who has not been named publicly, had a record for indecent exposure and making obscene telephone calls. He has never been charged in connection with her case. Investigators do not believe Dove was specifically targeted by anyone; they think her presumed abduction was a crime of opportunity, committed after the kidnapper noticed there was a woman working at the isolated gas station alone.

Dove had been married for five years by the time of her disappearance and lived in Bridgewater, Virginia with her husband and four-year-old daughter. Her loved ones stated she was happy with her marriage and being a mother, and had no reason to leave of her own accord. After Dove disappeared, her parents raised her daughter. She was declared legally dead in 1989, and the gas station has since been torn down. Her case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency​

• Harrisonburg Police Department 540-434-2545

Source Information​

Thought they had a little bit of new info recently

Authorities stated they arrived at the gas station only two minutes after the conversation terminated, but no one was there. Dove's purse and a magazine she'd been reading were left undisturbed on the counter, and a cigarette had burned out in an ashtray.

Wonder what they mean by ‘a cigarette had burned out in an ashtray’.

If they mean ‘a burning cigarette was placed in the ashtray, and burned itself out’ then I highly doubt that happened in the alleged 2 minutes it took them to arrive after her call.

We don’t know how much of the cigarette had been smoked/burned before placing it in the ashtray, nor do we know (or do we?) how much of the cigarette remained in the ashtray (ie, was it burned down to the filter, assuming it was a filtered cigarette?)

Pseudo-scientific experiment , just to see what happens:

Cigarette lit, single drag: burned out in about 15 minutes, halfway down (half cig remaining).

Smoked half of cig, placed in ashtray - burned down to filter in about 10 minutes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlackBalled
Back