Found Deceased VA - Morgan Dana Harrington, 20, Charlottesville, 17 Oct 2009 - #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did Dan actually attend the concert? Or did he just leave the three girls off, while he participated in some other activity. Perhaps he had contacts at UVa, and some parts of the athletics facilities at UVa are open to the public. If he left the girls off, then he had the keys to the car. Locked out, MH may have gone looking for him.

The exact locations of the car during the relevant time period has been a major unresolved issue.

http://www.readthehook.com/blog/ind...fore-hitching-morgan-harrington-caused-worry/

Quote from the above link:

Quote:
According to police, in that phone call, Morgan told her friends she was stuck outside the Arena (which, even with a ticket stub, does not allow reentry) and that she would find her own way home. Police have confirmed that a friend inside the concert had driven Morgan’s car and still had her keys. [all emphasis mine]

black bold by me, is this true that even with a ticket stub, reentry is not allowed? Is it posted that you can't reenter if you exit the arena even with a stub? If so, then did Morgan go there with the intent to not stay for the show, but to meet up with someone instead? Why did Dan still have the keys to her car? Would it really not matter to her if someone else drove her car, and kept the keys. Couldn't he have thrown them to her from the Arena door or something?
The scenario doesn't make sense.
I guess I should read up before asking more questions.
:)

As a local, I do follow along, but I'm not sure how widely the story is staying in the news or in my friends' and acquaintances' minds. And to my mind, this all has not affected young solo women on UVa grounds' behavior all that much.

I drive around the UVa/JPJ area frequently, going to and from my office, and frequently see women by themselves walking or jogging after dark by themselves...

And some of the MH flyers that were posted around town are no longer up...

I agree, sadly. I have 2 children in their early 20's. One who knows quite a few college students from the area colleges... They have no discussions about MH. Every now and then my daughter will ask me something about MH and then it's dropped.

On her FB there is no discussions about MH. If I put up something on my FB about MH it now goes unnoticed and no one responds...no one carries the story over to their FB page.

I too see lots of women alone after dark walking the walking trails here in Roanoke and it scares me to death to think that they are being so casual with their safety.

Seems like lots of people (of all ages) have the mind set of "well it's not going to happen to me"...

Whenever there is an appearanc of a coverup, sleuthers are going to dig it up. It's just that simple.
IOW, if one has nothing to hide, then why hide? Apparently he is from a wealthy family who doesn't want bad press? Morgan's family appears too concerned for her friends, imo. If my kid is missing, then expose it all. Let it all come out, every dirty deep dark secret, just so long as my child is found, and hopefully alive.

I have not been following this case, but from the little I've read on this thread, there seems to be a whole lot of people worrying about the wrong people, when the missing person is the one it should be about.

I makes me wonder if Dan is hiding something other than being from a wealthy family, and it makes me wonder why SS really said what she said, because the excuse given doesn't make sense to me, and when it doesn't make sense, somethings smells hinky. jmo though

Agreed!

I'm sorry, but if this were my daughter... Even if her friends were completely innocent I would not be shielding them in any way. I would want my daughter found.

Sometimes you have to take the consequences of your actions or inactions...and IMO these 'friends' put themselves in the position they did when they didn't come to the aid of MH when she became locked out of the arena, when they waited for a 'significant' amount of time, and when they left without MH - without alerting anyone.

I know if my child had been one of the friends...the police may have cleared her name...but I'd be making sure we were out there doing the same. If it created problems for my child...then so be it. There is a missing girl... My child would overcome whatever problems it caused - it would more than likely not be the same for the missing person, especially one who has been missing for so long.

BBM

Having graduated high school in VA and my immediate family still lives there, I know many people that go to JMU, UVA, and VT (amongst other colleges in the area and state). I can confirm that locals are still following this case. Whenever a news report comes out, they all talk about it.

and...what if some kid found the camera and was not a "local"? Maybe at one of the other schools, may have traveled to that concert?

also...are your friends college age...or high school....or Metallica fans?

why would the LE hold back that info for months...did they "assume" that locals would still "follow" this story??

I am sorry but so far no one has come up with any rational answer as to WHY the LE would not put out the info about the camera and the necklace right away when the case was "hot"

Yes, LE holds back "details" of a crime scene....things only the perp would know...but this is NOT that sort of detail, there is no real "crime scene" or evidence

To me the camera and necklace are details that should have been out there right away..just as we learned of the outfit she wore etc

It makes absolutely NO sense to me, sorry

No DC's on the basketball roster.
http://www.jmusports.com/SportSelec...00&SORT_ORDER=5&Q_SEASON=2009&PRINTABLE_PAGE=

Couldn't find any DC's. By "player" do you mean an athlete?

*Snipped to save space.**

Dan C. is actually a CLUB baseball player. A club team is a team that you can participate in college. However, it is not the traditional conference team such as the JMU Dukes, UNC Tarheels; but instead students that still want to play but aren't talented enough to participate in Division I. I found this information rather easily by googling "Dan C." This is the reason you could not find him on any rosters. Google "JMU Club Baseball"; he is a center and is right handed. 6'4" tall and 180 lbs. It also states his DOB and hometown.

Edited to add: I think the fascination with Dan C. is just that: a fascination. LE and the Harringtons withheld this information (his name). That makes all of us sleuthers curious and on guard. Therefore, even though they withheld his info for a totally different reason, it leads us to believe that it was b/c there was something hinky with him. What I am trying to say is don't get mad at other sleuthers b/c they are considering him as a suspect- it's only natural when his identity was withheld for so long.

Agreed!

I'm sorry, but if this were my daughter... Even if her friends were completely innocent I would not be shielding them in any way. I would want my daughter found.

Sometimes you have to take the consequences of your actions or inactions...and IMO these 'friends' put themselves in the position they did when they didn't come to the aid of MH when she became locked out of the arena, when they waited for a 'significant' amount of time, and when they left without MH - without alerting anyone.

I know if my child had been one of the friends...the police may have cleared her name...but I'd be making sure we were out there doing the same. If it created problems for my child...then so be it. There is a missing girl... My child would overcome whatever problems it caused - it would more than likely not be the same for the missing person, especially one who has been missing for so long.

Why would they give up their seats at a concert cause a friend left and couldn't get back in?

she was 20 years old, not 7

have you considered that the Harrisons are NOT shielding "wrongdoings" on the part of these kids?? It seems to me that they just don't know, did not have any part in her going missing?

What more can they do??

Morgan called them one time from outside the arena, they suggested places to get back in, etc....her phone went dead? (or lost battery?)

why would they leave the arena in that crowd and would have no idea where she was?? how would they find her?

I do think they drove her car back to "cover" for her..probably thought she had a hot hookup or found a great party....just as the friends of Katie covered for her in NY.....Katie was out on party, we don't know the details but she is ok

Kids of college age are going to do things like this...so far it seems these kids did what kids do...the guy D seems to barely know Morgan....he can't "help" or add anything it seems....why should he ruin his life for this?? It is not as if she will suddenly appear if they "talk" or whatever

besides I think there were some interviews with them around the holidays, they were trying to get the "word" out about Morgan in Christmas parades

Maybe getting the word out about that necklace and camera right at the start would have done more good than the "friends" speaking more in public

black bold by me, is this true that even with a ticket stub, reentry is not allowed? Is it posted that you can't reenter if you exit the arena even with a stub? If so, then did Morgan go there with the intent to not stay for the show, but to meet up with someone instead? Why did Dan still have the keys to her car? Would it really not matter to her if someone else drove her car, and kept the keys. Couldn't he have thrown them to her from the Arena door or something?

If you read thru these discussions...yes you can NOT get back in

we don't know if Morgan knew that, realized that, was high or drunk or felt the rule would not apply or whatever....she obviously wanted back in so I don't think she planned to leave

and that is the rule.. it is for good reasons and that is the way it is
discussions about how or why the guards at the arena should have given Morgan special rights that night don't really accomplish much IMHO

How would anyone know where to "throw her keys"?? she called them once then her phone was off/battery lost or whatever....the arena is huge, crowds of people...loud heavy metal music blasting by that time...

and why would he throw her keys to her...wasn't he/someone the "designated driver"?? If he threw her keys to her, assuming he could find her (unlikely given the circumstances) then what?? she drives drunk??

Whenever there is an appearanc of a coverup, sleuthers are going to dig it up. It's just that simple.
IOW, if one has nothing to hide, then why hide? Apparently he is from a wealthy family who doesn't want bad press? Morgan's family appears too concerned for her friends, imo. If my kid is missing, then expose it all. Let it all come out, every dirty deep dark secret, just so long as my child is found, and hopefully alive.

I have not been following this case, but from the little I've read on this thread, there seems to be a whole lot of people worrying about the wrong people, when the missing person is the one it should be about.

I makes me wonder if Dan is hiding something other than being from a wealthy family, and it makes me wonder why SS really said what she said, because the excuse given doesn't make sense to me, and when it doesn't make sense, somethings smells hinky. jmo though

Maybe because of this they dont want their faces out there??

Dan apparently didn't know Morgan well...has passed all LE questions, etc..yet is being "sleuthed" and suspected here??

The most likely scenario is that Morgan met up with the wrong person that night....she left the arena...how was anyone going to find her anyhow in the crush of a concert crowd and with her phone not working???

You contradict yourself in your post. You make a statement that "a whole lot of people are worrying about the wrong people"; then go on to say that you wonder if Dan is hiding something and wonder why SS said what she said, saying the excuse given doesn’t make sense to you and it smells hinky. Don’t those comments reflect worrying about the wrong people? Le has CLEARED these individuals. Is that not reason enough not to dwell on them any longer?

Dan C. is actually a CLUB baseball player. A club team is a team that you can participate in college. However, it is not the traditional conference team such as the JMU Dukes, UNC Tarheels; but instead students that still want to play but aren't talented enough to participate in Division I. I found this information rather easily by googling "Dan C." This is the reason you could not find him on any rosters. Google "JMU Club Baseball"; he is a center and is right handed. 6'4" tall and 180 lbs. It also states his DOB and hometown.

Edited to add: I think the fascination with Dan C. is just that: a fascination. LE and the Harringtons withheld this information (his name). That makes all of us sleuthers curious and on guard. Therefore, even though they withheld his info for a totally different reason, it leads us to believe that it was b/c there was something hinky with him. What I am trying to say is don't get mad at other sleuthers b/c they are considering him as a suspect- it's only natural when his identity was withheld for so long.

I don't blame him....he barely knew her...why ruin his life for this?? Yeah that sound harsh...but honestly the way the media and the internet hounds people who are only marginally related to a crime or incident I have to agree with the logic here

There is a huge "don't blame the victim" mentality....and even for SOME accused criminals we see people want to "protect" them or rehabilitate them
meanwhile some people who just happen to be at the wrong place at the wrong time can have their lives and futures ruined by idle speculation, rumor, and internet postings.

I hate to say it ...but at some point it might also be fair to take a look at Morgan herself....she seems to me to be very immature, unformed....sheltered....she got in over her head that night...made a lot of wrong choices...I feel sorry for her and her family but the bottom line is that the "friends" were CLEARED...there was no "conspiracy" to harm her on their part...they didn't plan this...yes, they might have made better choices

but ultimately Morgan also made some rotten choices and sadly may have paid the ultimate price for this

How many times have people been cleared in a case...only to be 'revisited' months/years later and found out to have further knowledge/know more than they've revealed or found out to be the actual perp?

May not be the case here as I've stated I don't believe the friends had anything to do with MH's disappearance. However it seems, to several, the friends actions have been hinky, not kosher, odd, strange.

And we still don't know who/what led MH to the outside of the arena. Might would help to know MH's mindset and this, I believe, is something that the friends could help with. (Was there a fight between a friend or of the group? Was there an argument/confrontation with someone else? Did her injury cause her to be that embarrassed? Was she caught with alcohol or caught trying to buy alcohol? Did she have actual plans of a hook-up?) This possibly would help back up some of these witness reports of MH seemingly being angry and displaying a temper. IMO these friends, or at least one of them, knows exactly why MH was 'locked out' of the arena.

I think that's what some people might would like to know from these friends...what little tidbits of info do they know that could possibly help to know why MH exited the arena. And I think that's why people keep harping on why have these friends said/done so little.

I know LE keeps a lot of stuff quiet. I realize they have to have enough evidence to make a case.

But as someone said before - this is a sleuthing web-site. Looking for information is what's done - whether people have been cleared or not - people try to cover every angle.

Exactly!

Yosande, this is one of the best posts ever i've seen on this thread and so very true!!!
LE has cleared the friends there with Morgan that night, even i suspected them (especially SS) at first, however now that LE has cleared them, i've moved on.

The scenario you mention does make sense, especially being with a $150,000 reward, the people who may know something are in the more wealthy percentile. When do we ever see such a huge reward in missing persons cases? Metallica who donated $50,000 aside, the reward still would be huge!!!

Your theory is very fitting, a lot of college kids are friends with others at all the surrounding colleges. (In MA for example, there is a 5 college consortium, of which many of the students have friends or acquaintances in the 5 different colleges in the areas of Holyoke, Amherst, Northhampton, etc). It is common for these kids.

As for what SS said in that interview, it was a very poor choice of words, she maybe was either just using very bad taste, or maybe she just doesn't care,IMO. However LE has cleared them so even due to SS' horrible display of lack of emotion in the video, it doesn't mean she is guilty. She might just be guilty of being illmannered, illprepared, not realizing the gravity of the situation, etc.

The Harrington's mean well i'm sure in trying to protect Morgan's friends from the media, i agree with your opinion on it that i would do anything to make sure my child was found as well, however everyone reacts differently.
From what i read on the Findmorgan site and places it seems the Harringtons are of the opinion that several mistakes (including the one made by her friends leaving Morgan alone outside) led up to this disaster.

The reward is huge; seems to target the more wealthy community, i wonder if Dan had any wealthy friends or acquaintances that go to school around that area?

I really think that maybe Morgan would go off with someone who was a friend of a friend's or an acquaintance maybe; as opposed to a complete stranger.

I do agree that Morgan might go off with a "friend of a friend"...or someone from (one of) her school/s....or someone slightly "known" to her...the local dj, the local bartender...a guy in a class of hers...a guy she has seen at the student union or library or whatever
I think it is much more likely that she took a ride from a "cute" guy she slightly knew..or "knew of"...or who seemed to "know" someone she knew...rather than the idea that she was forcibly abducted by some serial killer

I still would like to know HOW the "friends" would find Morgan outside that huge arena, with heavy metal music blasting?? which exit should they have gone to?? how would they know "where" to "throw her keys"?? Looking at pictures of the place I am sure they had no idea what to do or how to do it

IF she had a working phone and answered calls...then maybe they could have done something. When she didn't call back and didn't answer the phone were they supposed to be mind readers??? Seems they assumed that she did find a ride to a party or whatever...

I wish someone here would say exactly what "procedure" they should have followed in a packed arena with music blasting and many exits, many levels, areas, huge crowd??

Instructions and details would be much appreciated

Honestly..this guy doesn't seem to even know Morgan very well..why should he be dragged in the mud when it won't help find her??>

how will showing every myspace party pic of this guy find Morgan??

if he had a speeding ticket or was caught drinking underage will that find Morgan??

at some point we have to be realistic here...there seems to be no real leads

Morgan herself made some horrible choices that night..there is "someone" out there who knows what happened....posting on facebook, candle vigils etc won't make him suddenly "turn himself in"....that rarely happens does it??

This is a "thin air" case...it is too bad that the LE didn't release the camera/necklace info right when it happened...but then again those items may be with Morgan's remains...
the person who knows what happened sure isn't going to turn them in

The info given out in the very early days here, the lack of info, conflicting info, not telling the public about the camera necklace have clouded this from the start, much more than what the "firends" did or did not do JMO

However, ultimately, in a really "random" case like this sounds like, when no one saw the car she got into/was put into, no one knows what direction or how far to search, there is sometimes nothing more to be done..

as I have stated before my "logic" tells me that someday there may be a (*sad) resolution to this when some hunter/hiker/camper with a dog stumbles upon her remains

Yep, it is true that's the policy there. One would have to purchase a new ticket to get back inside the arena, provided the box office is still open.

What you are saying would explain the behavior of her friends that night, and would make perfect sense. Morgan kisses her friends goodbye, goes to the bathroom for a pitstop, then goes outside. It sounds like she was meeting up with someone. If the "someone" she was meeting with had a car, and she obviously trusted her friends with her own car, maybe she was supposed to go off with "someone" and her friends would have met up with her later at JMU in her car...? just thinking aloud here.
The scenario you provided would explain why her friends had her car keys; that Morgan wouldn't be needing her car if she expected someone else to drive her somewhere. It would also explain Morgan why the friends didn't bring her the keys and why Morgan would say she would find a ride, she must have really meant she would find a ride, imo..
Also why didn't Morgan buy another ticket to get inside? When did the box office there close?
She did attempt to sneak back inside via different entrances. Maybe whoever she was supposed to meet up with didn't show up so that's when she tried to get back inside.
Either the person showed up, or she met someone else and went off with him. Could be a friend of a friend, acquaintance, etc. IMO, i don't think it would have been a random stranger.

I had a friend in college who let the rest of us drive her car around, even if we had our own cars, she'd let us use it for errands (say to pick up another friend from the bus station after the weekend). Some people are more open about letting others use their cars. Personally i'm not one of them, however i do know that others are more trusting of lending their cars to friends.

I do agree that Morgan might go off with a "friend of a friend"...or someone from (one of) her school/s....or someone slightly "known" to her...the local dj, the local bartender...a guy in a class of hers...a guy she has seen at the student union or library or whatever
I think it is much more likely that she took a ride from a "cute" guy she slightly knew..or "knew of"...or who seemed to "know" someone she knew...rather than the idea that she was forcibly abducted by some serial killer

I still would like to know HOW the "friends" would find Morgan outside that huge arena, with heavy metal music blasting?? which exit should they have gone to?? how would they know "where" to "throw her keys"?? Looking at pictures of the place I am sure they had no idea what to do or how to do it

IF she had a working phone and answered calls...then maybe they could have done something. When she didn't call back and didn't answer the phone were they supposed to be mind readers??? Seems they assumed that she did find a ride to a party or whatever...

I wish someone here would say exactly what "procedure" they should have followed in a packed arena with music blasting and many exits, many levels, areas, huge crowd??

Instructions and details would be much appreciated

Not that my opinion is relevant to this case regarding this, however they would have had to arranged the an area to meet up and explain to security to get Morgan her keys. Probably near the entrance area. They would have to ask security and describe Morgan. They could have arranged this in the call from Morgan to SS. Or if one can't hear on the cell at a concert and doesn't want to go to the bathroom, they can always text and keep the phone in their pocket on vibrate.
Since none of this was done, maybe Morgan didn't want to get back inside the concert and met a friend or someone and went with them.

I'm not sure what you mean by "finding Morgan outside" however most people meet up where they parked, at the car.

and...what if some kid found the camera and was not a "local"? Maybe at one of the other schools, may have traveled to that concert?

also...are your friends college age...or high school....or Metallica fans?

why would the LE hold back that info for months...did they "assume" that locals would still "follow" this story??

I am sorry but so far no one has come up with any rational answer as to WHY the LE would not put out the info about the camera and the necklace right away when the case was "hot"

Yes, LE holds back "details" of a crime scene....things only the perp would know...but this is NOT that sort of detail, there is no real "crime scene" or evidence

To me the camera and necklace are details that should have been out there right away..just as we learned of the outfit she wore etc

It makes absolutely NO sense to me, sorry

As far as the lack of details released early on, I can't speak to that.

What I can speak to, though, is the fact that locals are keeping up with the story. Yes...most of my friends are college age seeing as I'm 20. And they go to those schools like I mentioned.

No, most are not Metallica fans.

I thought she did try to get back in....didn't gate security see her with a cut on her face??

Not that my opinion is relevant to this case regarding this, however they would have had to arranged the an area to meet up and explain to security to get Morgan her keys. Probably near the entrance area. They would have to ask security and describe Morgan. They could have arranged this in the call from Morgan to SS. Or if one can't hear on the cell at a concert and doesn't want to go to the bathroom, they can always text and keep the phone in their pocket on vibrate.
Since none of this was done, maybe Morgan didn't want to get back inside the concert and met a friend or someone and went with them.

I'm not sure what you mean by "finding Morgan outside" however most people meet up where they parked, at the car.

They only had one call from Morgan...at that point they/she seemed to think that she COULD get back in ..the "friend" suggested the different enterance/s to try ...so WHY would they "have arranged this" in that first cell phone call?? the friends would have thought she would call back (apparently her phone was dead/battery lost and she couldn't)

they didn't hear back from her...and they called her and her phone did not answer so they "assumed" she either got back in and was elsewhere in the arena or that she had gotten a ride or met up or gone to a party or whatever

I guess they felt she would have called back IF she was still having troubles

The scenario that Morgan had "planned to meet someone outside and go with them so that is why they "had the keys" is also not logical IMHO>>> IF she planned to go outside and leave, why was she trying so hard to get back in??

I think the "designated" driver scenario is the most logical...and that also implies that Morgan and some of her friends might have been doing some underage drinking (law is still 21) and also some "recreational drug use" ....sometimes I think the "silence" of the friends is somewhat condoned by the "family" since what they might have to say might not be flattering and has no real impact on whatever happened to her.

She may have gone outside to buy drugs or booze??? Not flattering...and not really relevant to what happened to her....there may be many reasons to keep these "friends" pretty down low , reasons for them and for Morgan's image/memory

"finding Morgan outside">> I mean how would they "throw the car keys to her"??? how..? when her ONE call did not ask for them or say where she would be?? would they just walk over and throw the keys over a fence?? that makes no sense to me and I get tired of hearing that idea so many times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500