Found Deceased VA - Robert Kovack, 24, Blacksburg, 18 Sept 1998

The dirt could have been from the drive. I live in VA and when ever I go to WV my car gets filthy and I really have no idea why. Also in 98 cell phones were rare if I remember correctly so he could have crossed the bridge unreported. 99.9% of people are very unaware of what is occurring outside of their car, so most people would just zoom by. As long as a police officer didn't drive by as he was crossing chances are it could happen. Is it possible he was hit by a car and fell or was thrown from the bridge in a hit and run type accident? Was the water high or low at the time? what about the current?

After seeing the pictures of the bridge it makes me wonder if he didn't get hit by a car and he flew over the side and down into the river or the brush near there. (I have seen deer hit by a car doing 70mph and it flew way up in the air and came back down a ways from where it was hit) I know they searched the area but I still think it's possible. I wonder how many searches were done?

It's totally possible...

P1010084.JPG

The deer on top of the utility pole was hit by a train, but I'm sure a car could send someone flying through the air a fair distance as well.

I guess this could be possible that he was hit by a car and thrown from the bridge. I have known of some suicides on the bridge, however, the bodies were always found. The first was a doctor [pathologist) who jumped off the bridge with his dog. However, I guess this would be different since it would not be a straight fall as in a suicide. There is very dense wilderness below the bridge. However, there is also much traffic below with sightseers, rafters, campers, and people walking the trails below. I guess anything is possible. However, I still wonder if he ever left Blacksburg. As far as the basket of dirty clothing missing from the car, I wonder if anyone actually knew he had the basket in the car or was this just his usual way of getting his laundry done when he came home and it was assumed that he would have dirty laundry in the car. Would love to know more. Odd that he disappeared, with nothing happening since with a disappearence of this nature in the area.

Just some thoughts:

Why would someone who had abducted him take his dirty laundry from his car if he indeed had it with him?This is the biggest thing that puzzles me. Was his vehicle locked when it was found?

Was the vehicle ever checked for blood, fingerprints, etc.

Could someone have killed him, taken his vehicle through some rough country in VA/WV and buried him (thus his vehicle being so dirty) and then drove it until it run out of gas, and someone else picked up the person?

Did his friends from Blacksburg have good alibis?

Was he a stable individual or what was he mood when he left for WV?

What kind of friends/company did he keep-was he a drug user?

How was he doing in school? What was his relationship with his family?

Just some thoughts......and was he the kind of person who normally would let their vehicle run out of gas or was the a one time thing?

One other thought is that he was hit while crossing the bridge but not thrown over the person(s) who hit him threw him in the back of their truck/car and disposed of his body elsewhere. People will do horrible things to stay out of trouble, and this wouldn't be the first time something like that happened. I know of two cases where drunk people have actually driven off with the body still lodged in the windshield. One really bad case was in Dallas, the person was still alive when the driver got home, but rather than get help she left the victim in the windshield in the garage where he(I think he was a he) suffered for several days before dying.

I'm about the last to have new technology and I had a cell phone in 98. As many people that cross that bridge, someone had a cell phone.

I understood from what I read that the vehicle was muddy, not just road grime - muddy.

There is no way he walked across the bridge undetected. It is 2 lanes each direction with a very small berm on each side - he would have been walking practically in the traffic.

He could have been hit and fallen over the side. however, just crossed that bridge last friday and specifically looked at the side wall - it is high. high enough to keep a car from going over. i don't think this happened.

If he did get knocked over, this happened at the height of our rafting season, as Fox mentioned. There are literally thousands of people on that river, near that river, hiking in and out.... I think he would have been found. And, I'm pretty sure they investigated this as a suicide first because his car was found so close to the bridge. PS Fox, just had another jumper a few weeks ago and you're right, I don't know of any they haven't recovered.

The traffic is constant on Route 19 and this bridge. No way someone hit him and had time to get out, load him up and get moving without another vehicle coming.

I don't think I made my point very well about this bridge - it is loooooooooong and it is hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh. I don't think anyone familiar with what this bridge is like, would even attempt to walk across it. And, Robert was familiar with this bridge - he crossed it everytime he travelled to and from school.

Bridge height - 876 feet
Bridge length - 3030 feet
Deck width 69 1/3 feet

I feel as Fox does - something happened to Rob in Blacksburg or soon after he left Blacksburg.

he's such a good-looking guy, seemed to have a bright future with getting his masters from VT, so much going for him and there have been no clues what has happened to him.

i contacted the det. in charge of his case and he said they check his ss# for activity on a regular basis and there has been nothing. So sad!!

I know all about the bridge. I would never drive over it cause I'm a chicken. My new theory is that it was Robert at the gas station that day. He ran out of gas, maybe he had his mind on going home and seeing the game. I think everyone has ran low from time to time with out noticing it. He was on the same side of the bridge as the gas station when he ran out. Someone saw him adding the gas to his tank, or saw the car abandoned on the side of the road. They stopped. Robert they just wanted to help, so he was not fearful and approached them. They would have been stealing the car, or going to carjack/steal his car. Something went wrong; maybe he put up a fight. They drove off with the car, and when the gas started running low they drove it back to the area they got it before running it out of gas. Even if people had cell phones in 98 only 32% of the population in 1998 (so you were one of the first to get one) coverage in the mountains is still an issue so I can't say there was reliable service in the area at the time. Looking at coverage maps it looks like there sill is not a lot of coverage in that area. Also it has been said there were a lot of tourist in the area rafting. Even if they did happen to watch the news during their vacation, I know I don't, chances are they weren't in town for both the possible abduction and finding of the car 5 days later. Even if they were the odds are slim they would put it together because of the car being found five days later on the other side of the bridge. I am positive if the area is as heavily traveled as has been reported the car didn't sit for 5 days unnoticed. I'm sure the police or his family would have retraced his route, as is common when someone goes missing. Also if the car was out of gas chances are slim someone would stop if no one was noticeably at the car, and if there was a second car they wouldn't stop because they thought someone else was helping. Also I have read that he was thought to have left tech between 5 & 8 pm so it could have been dark. We have to remember that even though most of us on WS are attentive to our surroundings most people just see what directly impacts them and nothing else. I know people who drive the same route every day and they are so used to the drive they don't even remember driving it when they get to their destination. People on vacation tend to let their guard down and not attend to their surroundings anyway so they would not be likely stop. I have read the car was found 1/4 to 1 miles from the bridge but was it on 19 when it was found or are we just assuming that because of it's proximity to the bridge? I know this happens when I my hubby and I were stationed in Waco TX we quickly learned the whole Branch Dividan thing was really in a small town outside of town but Waco was the closest city so people just assumed that is where it happened. Could this be happening with respect to Robert's car? If he ran out on the same side of the bridge as the gas station and it was him who told the gas and told the attendant he had ran out of gas he could have pulled off onto a side street or not in an area easily observed by passing traffic thing he would be less likely to get hit when he was actually putting him self in greater danger by reducing his visibility to those of use who do not look for crimes of opportunity.For that matter was this attendant ever looked at? He could have possibly been the last person to see Robert alive. Alright I need to put this aside for the night and get to sleep. Sorry if I am rambling here.
http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2002/BogusiaGrzywac.shtml (# of cell phones)

I know all about the bridge. I would never drive over it cause I'm a chicken. My new theory is that it was Robert at the gas station that day. He ran out of gas, maybe he had his mind on going home and seeing the game. I think everyone has ran low from time to time with out noticing it. He was on the same side of the bridge as the gas station when he ran out. Someone saw him adding the gas to his tank, or saw the car abandoned on the side of the road. They stopped. Robert they just wanted to help, so he was not fearful and approached them. They would have been stealing the car, or going to carjack/steal his car. Something went wrong; maybe he put up a fight. They drove off with the car, and when the gas started running low they drove it back to the area they got it before running it out of gas. Even if people had cell phones in 98 only 32% of the population in 1998 (so you were one of the first to get one) coverage in the mountains is still an issue so I can't say there was reliable service in the area at the time. Looking at coverage maps it looks like there sill is not a lot of coverage in that area. Also it has been said there were a lot of tourist in the area rafting. Even if they did happen to watch the news during their vacation, I know I don't, chances are they weren't in town for both the possible abduction and finding of the car 5 days later. Even if they were the odds are slim they would put it together because of the car being found five days later on the other side of the bridge. I am positive if the area is as heavily traveled as has been reported the car didn't sit for 5 days unnoticed. I'm sure the police or his family would have retraced his route, as is common when someone goes missing. Also if the car was out of gas chances are slim someone would stop if no one was noticeably at the car, and if there was a second car they wouldn't stop because they thought someone else was helping. Also I have read that he was thought to have left tech between 5 & 8 pm so it could have been dark. We have to remember that even though most of us on WS are attentive to our surroundings most people just see what directly impacts them and nothing else. I know people who drive the same route every day and they are so used to the drive they don't even remember driving it when they get to their destination. People on vacation tend to let their guard down and not attend to their surroundings anyway so they would not be likely stop. I have read the car was found 1/4 to 1 miles from the bridge but was it on 19 when it was found or are we just assuming that because of it's proximity to the bridge? I know this happens when I my hubby and I were stationed in Waco TX we quickly learned the whole Branch Dividan thing was really in a small town outside of town but Waco was the closest city so people just assumed that is where it happened. Could this be happening with respect to Robert's car? If he ran out on the same side of the bridge as the gas station and it was him who told the gas and told the attendant he had ran out of gas he could have pulled off onto a side street or not in an area easily observed by passing traffic thing he would be less likely to get hit when he was actually putting him self in greater danger by reducing his visibility to those of use who do not look for crimes of opportunity.For that matter was this attendant ever looked at? He could have possibly been the last person to see Robert alive. Alright I need to put this aside for the night and get to sleep. Sorry if I am rambling here.
http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2002/BogusiaGrzywac.shtml (# of cell phones)

Paragraphs really help when you post that much info. it's hard to read.

Gas station is on the south side of the bridge.

The car was found on the north side of the bridge. Route 19 is not an interstate so it just has turn-offs onto other roads (no exit or entrance ramps). It was parked a short distance off Route 19 on Lansing road (a right-hand turn from the north bound lane).

I don't know that much credibility was ever put into the sighting of him.

He travelled that road enough that he should have had no problem knowing how much gas he needed without running out. And, if he was that close to running out, he had just passed the gas station minutes earlier.

I just don't think Rob is the one that ran his car out of gas or parked it at that location. Something happened to him earlier in his trip.

Fox, thanks for the link to the news article. I see that the family hired a PI. Would love to know what he/she has found out.

10 years today thatRob has been missing...how does a family deal with this?

I didn't even know him and this mystery literally wears me out sometimes.

I live in Summersville and work in Beckley. I cross the bridge and the location of his tracker 2 times a day and it's a rare day that I don't think of him.

??????

Here's a good question; why would he leave his keys in the ignition? Sure, if he ran out of gas, its not like someone would be able to steal the car while he went for gas. But he must have had other keys on his key ring that he wouldn't have wanted to lose and that possibly couldn't be duplicated. As for running out of gas, it happens. No one likes to admit it but it can happen if your mind is on other things or you are stressed out. This is truly puzzling.

Good question about the keys, Stella.

I would lock my car up and take the keys even with the tank empty.

????

Here's a good question; why would he leave his keys in the ignition?

I very much doubt that Rob would but if he was a victim of foul play the person who did harm to Rob might have ran out of gas - then left the keys because 1. he wasn't going back to the car and 2. it might be easier for someone else to steal it with the keys in it...thus putting "new" fingerprints in the "stolen" vehicle. All it would take is a gallon of gas and someone would have a vehicle.

That's my take anyway.

I very much doubt that Rob would but if he was a victim of foul play the person who did harm to Rob might have ran out of gas - then left the keys because 1. he wasn't going back to the car and 2. it might be easier for someone else to steal it with the keys in it...thus putting "new" fingerprints in the "stolen" vehicle. All it would take is a gallon of gas and someone would have a vehicle.

That's my take anyway.
Exactly!

That's my take anyway.

A thief wouldn't have realized the car was out of gas When it didn't start they would have went on their way. I highly doubt someone would have tried stealing it if it was sitting on the road. I wonder if they ever took prints off of the keys.

A thief wouldn't have realized the car was out of gas When it didn't start they would have went on their way. I highly doubt someone would have tried stealing it if it was sitting on the road. I wonder if they ever took prints off of the keys.

True. But what if it was the type of car that rang warning bells when the tank was empty? Or maybe flashing a light on the dashboard.

There are so many "what ifs" on this case. One question leads to several others.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back