VA VA - The Colonial Parkway Murders, 1986-89

I knew this guy's name looked familiar. He was a scary dude. Hope they can solve a few cases with further investigation.

JMHO
fran

Michael Nicholaou is a POI in a number of murders including some "serial" killings in New England. It is very interesting that he lived in the area during the Colonial Parkway murders.

There are many cases of Serial killers (and rapists) who move to different areas and resume their activity (often with different MO's or signitures). I would expect it to be SOP for LE to look at prior areas of residence anytime someone becomes a sexual murder or rape suspect. Biological evidence was routinly retained begining in the early 1980's.

Where the crime scene photos leaked recently? How long ago were they leaked?
Also i find the timing that the FBI decide to reopen these cases, or take another look is coincidental to the Metzler & Childs murders (the Va Tech students murdered)..
Murdering in pairs..

Michael Nicholaou - the POI - is deceased. He killed himself after shooting his wife and step daughter.

http://truthinjustice.org/nicholaou.htm

Nicholaou fatally shot himself in 2005 on New Year's Eve after killing his wife and stepdaughter in Tampa, Fla. Nicholaou first came to the attention of Nelson authorities after Florida private detective Lynn-Marie Carty was contacted late last year by a client who had seen a story about Honaker on Court TV.

(More at link)

it's too bad they couldn't have made the links a few lives ago...i guess it would still bring some peace to families but only of they are positive. we have a case out here in nm where 13 bodies of women, mostly prostitutes, were found all in one grave last year, and LE is saying their only possible suspect is dead...I wonder if they will just try to leave it at that...
the women who were found dead were never mentioned in press when they were missing...only when a seemingly bottomless graveside turned up...

The case maybe over 20 years old, but it has made it's way into the news again.. with quite a twist:::

The Gloucester County whistleblower who last year revealed how the FBI leaked crime-scene photographs from the Colonial Parkway killings now says he's a suspect in the murder investigation. Fred Atwell, a former Gloucester sheriff's deputy, says he has learned in the past month that his name is on a list of 130 suspects.
http://www.middlenecknews.com/local-and-regional-news/suspect-revealed-in-parkway-murders.html

I am in Virginia and I am just not reading about this case today for the first time. I've never heard about it before, although missing persons cases have always attracted me, recently I started reading about unsolved murder cases, and came across this one. Have they ever run DNA/tests/compared evidence/etc to see if the Colonial Parkway Murders, The Route 29 Stalker, and the Shenandoah National Park Case are related? I am very curious to learn more about all of these cases.

Here is local TV station WTKR webpage with a lot of information on this case:

http://www.wtkr.com/news/colonialparkway/

Profilers have long suspected that a cop, or a police impersonator. Since York Town Naval Weapon Station is very close to this area I am wondering if it wasn't a former military person or even active duty. Anyway Atwell is just one of the few on a list of Suspects that the FBI will not talk about.

2010 LE on the case named Atwell as one of the suspects He is a former sheriff in my county. http://www.wtkr.com/news/wtkr-new-suspect-cp-murders,0,5848991.story

Map to show the parkway (B) Is where I believe two bodies were found, and I placed the YTNWS there too:

[ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Yorktown+Naval+Weapons+Station,+Yorktown,+VA&daddr=I-64+W&hl=en&ll=37.277058,-76.629982&spn=0.141238,0.308647&sll=37.309833,-76.633072&sspn=0.141176,0.308647&geocode=FRZLOAIdtW1v-yGbNvrdaKTN2w%3BFWXrOQId5zdt-w&vpsrc=6&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=12&t=m&z=12"]Naval Weapons Station Yorktown to I-64 W - Google Maps[/ame]

My name is Bill Thomas. I am the older brother of Cathleen Thomas, who together with her friend Rebecca Dowski were the first two victims in the so-called Colonial Parkway Murders, in which four young couples were murdered near Williamsburg, Virginia from 1986 to 1989.

In an odd turn of events, Fred Atwell, the whistleblower who helped break the story that the FBI had lost control of 84 highly graphic crime scene photos in the
Colonial Parkway Murders in Fall 2009 now appears headed for jail himself. The FBI and the Virginia State Police are still working on the case.

<modsnip>

If you have any questions or thoughts regarding the Colonial Parkway
Murders, please feel free to contact me.

http://articles.dailypress.com/2011..._1_parkway-murders-robbery-charge-fred-atwell
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/06/fred-atwell-colonial-parkway-murders-arrest_n_947121.html

Thanks.

Bill Thomas
Brother of Cathleen Thomas
Los Angeles, CA

From 1986 to 1989 at least 8 people were murdered along the Colonial Parkway in Virginia and their killer was never caught.

Cathleen Thomas and Rebecca Dowski were murdered Oct. 12th 1986. Their fully clothed bodies in the back seat of their car which had been pushed down a hill towards the water. They both had rope burns on their body, had been stranguled and then their throats cut. Their bodies had been doused in gasoline but apparently not set on fire.

Robin Edwards and David Knobling were killed around Sept. 19th, 1987 in the Ragged Island Refuge Center. David's truck was found parked, keys in the ignition, radio still on and drivers side window half rolled down and drivers door opened. Their underwear and a pair of Robin's shoes were in the car. A few days later their bodies washed up on shore, half clothed. They had both been shot.

April 9th, 1988 Richard Call and Cassandra Reilly disappeared after going out on a first date. Richards car was parked near a creek of the parkway.
Both of their sets of clothing were found in the backseat, the drivers side door was opened and Call's wallet and Cassandra's purse were in the car.
THe couple has never been seen again and they are considered to be victims of the Colonial Park Killer.

September, 1989 AnnaMaria Phelps and Daniel Lauer went missing. Daniel's car was found close to a rest stop, most of his clothing was found in the car along with Phelp's purse. Approx a month later the couple's skeletal remains were found. They had both been stabbed.

There is a ton of info out there. I have to get off here for a bit but will dwelve into this a little further later.

http://parkway.crimeshadows.com/main.htm

Colonial Parkway Killer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://journalismclass.wmblogs.net/2009/05/19/the-colonial-parkway-murders%E2%80%94not-dead-yet/

http://www.geocities.com/misjoy464/colonialparkwaymurders.html

http://www.mcall.com/topic/dp-pway-16_psychologist_062292,0,7570108.story

http://labyrinth13.com/mirror/VirginiaMurders/index.htm

I have rec'd information that Cathleen and Rebecca were doused in diesel fuel, which is why it failed to ignite. Diesel will not light with a match like gasoline.

Thanks for the correction, Kimster. The Colonial Parkway Murders may be linked with other cases in Virginia around that time frame, including the 1996 murder of Alicia Showalter Reynolds in the Route 29 Stalker case, and the murder of hikers Julie Williams and Lollie Winans in the Shenadoah National Park, also in 1996. Here is a link to a very good series of articles by journalist Pamela Gould in the Fredricksburg Freelance Star which explores some of the potential parallels in these cases.

http://fredericksburg.com/News/Web/2007/112007/29/index_html

Thanks.

Bill Thomas
Los Angeles, CA

I hope I can catch this show at some point.

As an aside, I believe this is the case that influenced Patricia Cornwell's third novel, "All that Remains."

You are correct. Patricia Cornwell's book "All That Remains" is based on the still unsolved Colonial Parkway Murders. There was an unsuccessful lawsuit several years back filed by one of the Colonial Parkway Murders families against Patricia Cornwell, alleging that she had used her access to the crime scene records through her work at the Virginia Medical Examiner's Office. My family was not involved.

Bill Thomas
Los Angeles, CA

There have been many more developments in the Colonial Parkway Murders case. The latest is that Fred Atwell, the whistleblower who helped break the story that the FBI had lost control of 84 highly graphic crime scene photos in the Colonial Parkway Murders now appears headed for jail himself.

Our sister Cathy and her friend Rebecca Dowski were the first two victims
in the Colonial Parkway case. in which at least four young couples were
murdered near Williamsburg, Virginia from 1986 to 1989. The FBI and the
Virginia State Police are still working on the case.

http://www.wtkr.com/videobeta/d0b28...d-Atwell-to-plead-guilty-to-robbery-next-week

There is also a discussion thread on this case in the Serial Killers section of Websleuths. If you have any questions or thoughts regarding the Colonial Parkway Murders, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks.

Bill Thomas
Los Angeles, CA

Someone has leaked graphic crime-scene photographs of the most notorious serial killings in Virginia history, the Colonial Parkway murders.

For two decades, the crime-scene pictures have been secret, critical evidence in the hunt for a serial murderer. They show how the Colonial Parkway Killer stalked couples in cars, stabbed some and shot others, and then discarded their bodies. And got away with it.

He shoved a Honda off a bluff with two bodies inside. He snatched a couple from their truck, leaving their clothes inside. He did it again with a Toyota, and one final time at a rest area with a Chevy Nova.

The rest of the leaked images depict more than can be shown on television. They detail where the knives slashed and the bullets struck. And they show exactly how the unknown killer left the bodies.

Joyce Call's brother was one of the victims.

"They took him and Sandra and they put his clothes back in the car, just tossed them. You know, all his belongings."

For more than 20 years, the Colonial Parkway Serial Killer has kept his secrets. But the police and federal agents trying to catch him have not. For at least a year, and maybe for many years, these pictures have circulated among civilians. How they got out is now the core of an FBI investigation, and source of disgust for the families who lost loved ones.

"These were human beings. They were brothers, sisters, sons, daughters. They were people and they were loved. Just to have the pictures floating around like that is very disrespectful."

Joyce Call's brother, Keith was killed on a first date with Cassandra Hailey. Keith took her for a drive down the Colonial Parkway in his red Toyota Celica. Her brother's car is in a crime-scene photo never meant to be public. Joyce says she found out about the leaked photos in a phone call, not from the FBI, but from a family friend.

"I was floored. I was floored. I was in disbelief for a while. I would like to know how they got their hands on the pictures."

Fred Atwell says this investigation into the leaked photos shouldn't be hard.

"It's an unsolved crime, No. 1. None of these murders have been solved, and the photographs are out in the public. I just don't think it's right."

He's a former Gloucester deputy, who, almost a year ago, says he told authorities who leaked the pictures, how they got out, and who has them. And, he says, he was ignored.

"I took them to the FBI and the state police, and nobody has done nothing."

Atwell says a friend of his, a security-company owner, asked him last year to teach a class about the killings. From 1986 to 1989, four couples were either shot or slashed on the Parkway or and in other secluded spots.

Fred Atwell was a deputy when the killer prowled this Parkway. But he didn't really know much about the case, or the couples, so he declined to teach the class. To change his mind, Atwell's friend - the owner of a private-security company - told Atwell he had crime-scene photos from the Parkway Murders. Atwell agreed to take a look. And he made copies.

Brian Hanlon supervises the Peninsula FBI office. That means he's in charge of the Colonial Parkway cases.

"Well, we looked into it. I think we understand where it came from. I can tell you that we recovered all the copies from the folks that we've contacted that had them. They're no longer there."

But that's a recent development. After Atwell spoke to NewsChannel 3, we called the FBI. And only then, according to Atwell, FBI agents suddenly came knocking. Atwell says they asked for his copies, and seized photographs from the school, too. Atwell says he couldn't get a return call, until NewsChannel 3 got involved.

Hanlon declined to explain what happened between Atwell's first complaints, and this recent scramble to retrieve the photographs. To the Call family, the FBI did not do enough to protect the families from this indignity, and protect the evidence of such terrible crimes.

Keith Call's brother Chris is upset. "Incredibly intrusive. I don't know the law, but I hope it does not, in any way, jeopardize the case if they do find somebody."

Hanlon says he can't speculate how the leaked evidence might affect a prosecution because there's never been anyone to prosecute. But he says he says the FBI did take this breach seriously, even if they didn't take action until a few days ago.

"I think any time you have things out there in the public domain of somebody's loved one, and this is still an open case, that yeah, that's a serious matter."

So much time has passed the families have just about given up hope for any resolution.

But the FBI isn't giving up. Tuesday night at 11, they reveal for the first time how they are using new science to search for an old killer.

Tune to NewsChannel 3 tonight at 11 for part 2 of this investigation

Special Agent in Charge John Boles takes over the FBI Norfolk Division from Alex J. Turner, who was promoted to the FBI office in Washington, DC. FBI Special Agent Crosby Brackett continues to work on the Colonial Parkway Murders case.

Bill Thomas,

Los Angeles, CA

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member