GUILTY VA - Yeardley Love, 22, UVA student, beaten to death, Charlottesville, May 2010 *civil trial 2022*

I agree Columbo, and you know what else really bothered me? I mean REEEEAAAALLLLY bothered me? That statement by Huguely's attorney, talking about how George was "fighting for fairness" and how "spiritual" he is. How he is proud to have represented George and how they're looking forward to some "corrections", implying the sentence was unjust.

GAG ME!! :sick:

What's fair about a 6', 200-plus lb young man beating a beautiful young girl to death? A young girl who had done nothing to deserve that sort of rage and cruelty? I'm struggling to see how one could describe George Huguely V as remotely spiritual, unless you mean he is fond of spirits. :needdrink:

Yes, Mr. Lawrence, I wish we could make some corrections, too. Namely your client getting the maximum sentence, that is.

And.....Bring Yeardley back to her family and to live the life she had in front of her
:banghead:

Money sure talks, huh....

After reading the one juror's comments, I now believe more than ever that we have to get rid of this ridiculous "crime of passion" meme. All it does is excuse abuse and violence against (mostly) women. Enough already. Crimes of passion have nothing to do with "passion," or love, and everything to do with the antiquated notion that women are property and that men hold dominion over them. Calling a murder a "crime of passion" is just a fancy way of glorifying domestic violence. How do we go about getting the legal system (i.e., judges and juries) to start treating these crimes as the hate crimes they truly are?

It was pretty clear that he didn't intend to kill her, if he had he would not have left her alive. So I think the jury made the right decision there.

I think a 5-10 year sentence would be more appropriate given the circumstances. That would give him time to reflect and mature. The problem with him is the consumption of alcohol. He would probably be a productive member of society without it, but with it (certainly at his currrent level of maturity) he is a danger. I think in cases like this (or any crime involving alcohol for that matter, including things like DUI, vandalism or common assault) the sentence should include a life-time prohibition on the use of alcohol, enforced by probation.

It was pretty clear that he didn't intend to kill her, if he had he would not have left her alive. So I think the jury made the right decision there.

I think a 5-10 year sentence would be more appropriate given the circumstances. That would give him time to reflect and mature. The problem with him is the consumption of alcohol. He would probably be a productive member of society without it, but with it (certainly at his currrent level of maturity) he is a danger. I think in cases like this (or any crime involving alcohol for that matter, including things like DUI, vandalism or common assault) the sentence should include a life-time prohibition on the use of alcohol, enforced by probation.

More like he left her to die. He took her laptop after the beating so they couldn't see the threatening emails. If he didn't think she was going to die why would he try to get rid of her laptop? Clearly if he thought she was going to live why bother because she'd be alive to tell who beat her.

Sorry, but I think he knew after he lost it that he did her in this time. Five or ten years is not enough for taking a life. Frankly this spoiled man deserved more than 26 years.

ITA, evelyn24. GH5 left YL knowing she was seriously injured. IMO he probably thought she was dead. But instead of calling 911, he took her laptop with incriminating evidence and threw it away, and then he lied to his friends about where he had been. GH5 would have no reason to destroy evidence and fake an alibi if he had left YL alive and well.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...ful-Son-in-UVA-Lacrosse-Murder-167927365.html

Mother Seeks Leniency for “Beautiful Son” in UVA Lacrosse Murder
By STEVE SZKOTAK
| Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 | Updated 1:00 PM EDT

George W. Huguely V has entered the courtroom to receive sentencing in the May 2010 slaying of his ex-girlfriend Yeardley Love, NBC News reports.

I'm gonna vomit. :sick: Sit on the other side of the courtroom lady, and then tell me how beautiful your son is. :maddening:

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. — Witnesses at a sentencing hearing for a former University of Virginia lacrosse player are testifying about violent encounters in the years and months before he fatally beat his girlfriend.

One witness said Thursday that George W. Huguely V beat him after he went home from a party with Yeardley Love, while another said an angry Huguely put his hands around her neck in a bar.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...entencing-yeardley-love-murder_n_1842494.html

Pretty boy got:
George Huguely V, the University of Virginia lacrosse player convicted of killing his college girlfriend, Yeardley Love of Cockeysville, was sentenced to 23 years in prison, according to news reports.

The jury that convicted him of second-degree murder and grand larceny in February had recommended 26 years. Charlottesville Circuit Judge Edward Hogshire, who presided over Huguely's trial, also gave him 1 year for grand larceny, which will be served concurrently. Huguely will get three additional years but they are suspended and will get credit for time served.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/breaking/bs-md-huguely-sentencing-20120830,0,5086633.story

So sad today for Yeardleys' family....For George and his family I have nothing to say that can be posted.
I feel that when he's released he may still be dangerous.
jmo

When he gets out, he'll still be a handsome young man, Yeardley Love will be long forgot & some other beautiful, intelligent woman will buy into the "tragic accident" excuse and wind up with a thread of her very own on Websleuths.

When he gets out, he'll still be a handsome young man, Yeardley Love will be long forgot & some other beautiful, intelligent woman will buy into the "tragic accident" excuse and wind up with a thread of her very own on Websleuths.

Sportscenter just said he'll have to serve at least 85% of his sentence and that means he'll get out when he's 44.

Nah. He'll mess up in jail and get more time. Somebody like that is not going to be able to be good for long in jail, definitely not good for 85% of his sentence. He'll get into a fight and his sentence will be made longer. I will not be surprised when this happens.

Oh PUKE...

The appeal was granted on the defense's arguments that Huguely was denied his right to counsel when the trial was forced to proceed despite one of his lead attorney's illness nine days into the trial and that the jury was not fair and impartial.

There was a claim that one of the jurors should have been excluded when there were doubts about her impartiality.

Either the defense or the prosecution can challenge the appeal if they wish.

Huguely's legal team has filed motions for a new trial twice before and been denied both times.

Unbelievable! What a difference money makes when it comes to justice. Disgusting.

I feel sorry for Yeardley Love's parents having to go through this all over again.Money has everything to do with this appeal.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallon
Back