VT VT - Brianna Maitland, 17, Montgomery, 19 March 2004

Hoping she is found soon, and that some answers are generated by this.

Has anyone here listened to the thoughts shared by the Geo Profiler who appeared on Crawl Space, in particular talking about this case? I have found it so fascinating.

Brianna Maitland - Geo Profiling

Here is the link to it ^ I love that people are still trying to find answers around this mystery, and that her life still matters to people, even with such a lapse of time.

Bumping. Hoping that the genetic genealogy tracing leads to this case being solved.

Bumping. Hoping that the genetic genealogy tracing leads to this case being solved.
I have a feeling that LE already knows what circle of people Brianna's killer was a part of.

Genetic genealogy might help confirm their suspicions and help narrow their focus to a particular person, but I don't think the case will be considered solved unless Brianna's body is found. Genetic genealogy won't help with that.

I have a feeling that LE already knows what circle of people Brianna's killer was a part of.

Genetic genealogy might help confirm their suspicions and help narrow their focus to a particular person, but I don't think the case will be considered solved unless Brianna's body is found. Genetic genealogy won't help with that.

Even a narrowing of focus or reinforcement of suspicions with solid evidence is a win for me. Maybe that evidence is enough of a weight that a skillful interrogator can use to pressure someone into talking. More and more prosecutors are willing to build and bring forward no body homicide cases; not having a body isn’t the road block it used to be. Maybe I’m just an incurable optimist when it comes to cold cases, but I think the passage of time gives us more and more new methods of prosecuting cases that were once deemed ‘unsolvable’.

There were human bone fragments found on Loon Mountain in NH, about 100 miles from where Brianna disappeared. Obviously, everyone's thoughts are with Maura Murray and her (Maura's) family has already been notified and are awaiting tests on the bones. But anyone think it could be Brianna?

There were human bone fragments found on Loon Mountain in NH, about 100 miles from where Brianna disappeared. Obviously, everyone's thoughts are with Maura Murray and her (Maura's) family has already been notified and are awaiting tests on the bones. But anyone think it could be Brianna?
i was thinking about this the other day. Loom Mountain is 2 hours away from where Brianna disappeared, that's quite a distance. We shouldn't say its impossible that its her, but i think its more likely to be someone such as Maura who disappeared in NH

i was thinking about this the other day. Loom Mountain is 2 hours away from where Brianna disappeared, that's quite a distance. We shouldn't say its impossible that its her, but i think its more likely to be someone such as Maura who disappeared in NH

I don't think distance matters. Many people are abducted and remains found many miles away, sometimes across state lines or even cross country. Agree that it's more likely to be Maura, but I think Brianna is a very real possibility too.

Brianna's NamUs profile was updated on 2/11/22
She currently has 11 rule outs The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
UP85157 09/26/2021 Chautauqua NY
UP67939 04/04/2020 Linn OR
UP67939 04/04/2020 Linn OR
UP1856 07/27/2005 Anne Arundel MD
UP1405 10/29/2006 Gregg TX
UP4725 03/10/2007 Marion OH
UP12683 06/06/2014 Newport News VA
UP6727 08/31/2008 Cleveland OK
UP6665 05/14/2007 Petersburg VA
UP8154 09/09/2010 Perry PA
UP2877 08/31/2007 Baltimore MD
UP2274 06/15/2008 Monmouth NJ

Eighteen years ago (to the day, tomorrow) Brianna Maitland vanished. Shortly after, the Vermont State Police returned to the scene to conduct a search. DNA evidence was recovered and a profile was searched in CODIS with no hits. Over the years many folks have been compared to this profile, but no one ever matched. In 2020, VSP partnered with Othram to re-analyze the DNA and generate leads. Today VSP reports that we succeeded to identify the source of the DNA. However, the investigation continues and they have not named a suspect yet. This case was funded by Paul Holes and Murder Squad and we are grateful for the support. We will continue to provide details as we get them. While we were successful in analyzing the DNA evidence, Brianna Maitland remains missing. The case is NOT solved and we will continue to support VSP as they work to find her.

DNASOLVES:
What happened to Brianna Maitland?

VSP:
VSP Press Releases: Source of DNA in Brianna Maitland investigation identified

Last edited:
Oh, my goodness! What a surprise to have this pop up in my email! I live in the area, and my kids (now adults) knew Brianna, though not well. It really freaked out my kids and the local communities. I hope this brings us one giant step closer to finding out what happened so her family and friends can find peace.

Very intriguing, they know the source of the DNA, but they are not announcing a suspect. I hope that means they're just following new leads based on this new information, and not that it belongs to a friend who had nothing to do with Brianna's disappearance (thus not really being of help in the investigation).

Our local news just added a story too:
Police: Source of DNA in Brianna Maitland investigation identified (wcax.com)

I hope this gets people talking about Brianna again, maybe someone will be able to provide that missing information that makes everything fall into place.

Thank you, Othram, for all the wonderful work you do.

Last edited:
Oh, my goodness! What a surprise to have this pop up in my email! I live in the area, and my kids (now adults) knew Brianna, though not well. It really freaked out my kids and the local communities. I hope this brings us one giant step closer to finding out what happened so her family and friends can find peace.

Very intriguing, they know the source of the DNA, but they are not announcing a suspect. I hope that means they're just following new leads based on this new information, and not that it belongs to a friend who had nothing to do with Brianna's disappearance (thus not really being of help in the investigation).

Our local news just added a story too:
Police: Source of DNA in Brianna Maitland investigation identified (wcax.com)

I hope this gets people talking about Brianna again, maybe someone will be able to provide that missing information that makes everything fall into place.

Thank you, Othram, for all the wonderful work you do.
Personally, I think that the girl against whom Brianna was pressing charges put one of her drug dealer friends up to killing Brianna. I'm curious to see whether that scenario will be proved correct.

Personally, I think that the girl against whom Brianna was pressing charges put one of her drug dealer friends up to killing Brianna. I'm curious to see whether that scenario will be proved correct.

I've always thought it centered around the girl too. Either your scenario, or the girl killed her but had one of her friends help get rid of Brianna's body. Frankly, it's so remote and mountainous here, it would be easy to hide a body where it would never be found. Hop onto a 4-wheeler and off you go to places no one would look. I always expected a hunter might find her, I suppose that could still happen.

Eighteen years ago (to the day, tomorrow) Brianna Maitland vanished. Shortly after, the Vermont State Police returned to the scene to conduct a search. DNA evidence was recovered and a profile was searched in CODIS with no hits. Over the years many folks have been compared to this profile, but no one ever matched. In 2020, VSP partnered with Othram to re-analyze the DNA and generate leads. Today VSP reports that we succeeded to identify the source of the DNA. However, the investigation continues and they have not named a suspect yet. This case was funded by Paul Holes and Murder Squad and we are grateful for the support. We will continue to provide details as we get them. While we were successful in analyzing the DNA evidence, Brianna Maitland remains missing. The case is NOT solved and we will continue to support VSP as they work to find her.

DNASOLVES:
What happened to Brianna Maitland?

VSP:
VSP Press Releases: Source of DNA in Brianna Maitland investigation identified
Really, really exciting for all of us in New England! This case is haunting. I very much hope that this step will provide the closure her family needs by bringing Brianna home! Also hope I get to cover this case as a forensic genealogy solve! Great work Othram!

Also, I am dying to know what piece of evidence was collected - something else I read said it was a later search, using dogs, that uncovered it. So, not the necklace, or lime wedge. Sounds like it was something that was never disclosed. The photo of her car ... so spooky.

There was the cigarette, fleece jacket, broken necklace, and water bottle outside the car - IIRC, it was a full, unsmoked cigarette and not a butt.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BBrown
Back