GUILTY WA - Colton Harris-Moore - A criminal with a fan base of +18000

There was a young man turning around to run the other way. He was naked, ran three or four steps and then jumped over the banister into the basement. I came around the steps, and it was pitch black. He said, ‘Stop! I’ve got a gun! I’ll shoot! I’ll shoot!’ There was a laser light of some kind pointing in my direction. I turned around, went back upstairs and got out of the house.”

Wow, that was quick thinking. He only had a couple of seconds to grab a laser (hope it wasn't really a gun!) and come up with that plan to get the family out. Sounds like they caught him just after he'd taken a shower and cut off his hair. At least they know his appearance has changed and they can narrow down his location.

This is getting suspenseful! I hope this kid doesn't get anybody hurt!

ETA: Whoa, read what his mother is saying. The lady's actually encouraging him to run and heist planes!

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20008396-504083.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody

Although there has been speculation in media reports that the man was Colton Harris-Moore, also known as the “Barefoot Bandit,” law enforcement has not conclusively identified the suspect. He has not been apprehended.

http://www.yankton.net/articles/2010/06/22/community/doc4c2039777963f986677624.txt

I live on Whidbey Isand, which is in Island County. Colton is from Camano Island which is also part of Island County. There has been copy-cats here ever since Colton started this. I seriously doubt he was in North Dakota. I believe the story in Oregon but not ND.

There have been people breaking into homes and making themselves at home long before Colton Harris-Moore.

Possibly the barefoot bandit is continuing to move east and has abandoned his latest stolen car in Dallas City, Ill., a small town that sits on the Iowa border.
Whomever took the car tried to drive though a creek and got stuck in mud.

"The windows were broken out with a shovel that was inside the car," Jefferson said. "We don't know if he did that out of anger or in an attempt to hide his fingerprints but all the windows were broken."
The car, belonging to the city water department in Ottumwa, was easy pickings, because the driver left the keys in the ignition, according to Ottumwa police.

The are is rural, has many cabins and farmer's airstrips. LE is really on the lookout for Colton Harris-Moore. They are also testing evidence from recent break-in where a naked guy matching his descripton ran away from the scene.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20008722-504083.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody

http://keloland.com/NewsDetail6162.cfm?Id=101867

NORFOLK, NE - Investigators believe Colton Harris-Moore, the teen burglar known as "The Barefoot Bandit," was caught on surveillance video at a northeast Nebraska airport earlier this month, so an arrest warrant has been issued.

Police have also collected fingerprints that may help link Harris-Moore to the theft of a Cadillac Escalade from the Norfolk airport earlier this month, which later turned up in Pella, Iowa.

Harris-Moore, a 6-foot-5 19-year-old from Camano Island, Washington, escaped from a halfway house south of Seattle in April 2008.

Authorities believe he's committed numerous burglaries around the Northwest since then, and that he's stolen boats, cars and even a few small airplanes.

He got his nickname by reportedly committing some of the crimes in his bare feet.

Just a bit of info---Colton Harris-Moore is from Camano Island, WA and his mother in fact still lives there. He's been a fugitive from the law since Spring '08 (left a group home) and began committing crimes long before that. He is an experienced thief, burglar and has no qualms about taking people's valuables, their personal sentimental items, food/clothing/camping gear, vehicles, and yes, even airplanes and boats. :( The Island Counties (any many others here in Western WA) are sick of his actions, want him apprehended, and the feeling here in Washington is that if Colton doesn't peaceably turn himself in soon,.....then he might end up shot and killed by some vigilante or home owner/shop keeper. Of course, no one wants him shot or injured...........he just needs to be safely brought in to LE.

An acquaintance of of mine (I won't name him on this board) had his single-engine Cesna stolen, flown and wrecked by Colton. His plane was taken last November from a locked hangar on Orcas Island, WA. His little 4-seater was found later (crashed beyond repair) in the Yakima, WA. area. My friend was naturally very angry about it, and when it looked as if Colton was the one who did it, he was even more furious!! The whole "folk-hero" thing is cr@p. Whatever gifts or intellect Colton has is being wasted by a life of running and CRIME. IMO, I think it's disgusting that he has "fans" and a notorious reputation. He's 19 years old and may never live to see 20 if he doesn't stop. JMO.......and I don't condone vigilante behavior........I want him safely caught by LE.

Just a bit of info---Colton Harris-Moore is from Camano Island, WA and his mother in fact still lives there. He's been a fugitive from the law since Spring '08 (left a group home) and began committing crimes long before that. He is an experienced thief, burglar and has no qualms about taking people's valuables, their personal sentimental items, food/clothing/camping gear, vehicles, and yes, even airplanes and boats. :( The Island Counties (any many others here in Western WA) are sick of his actions, want him apprehended, and the feeling here in Washington is that if Colton doesn't peaceably turn himself in soon,.....then he might end up shot and killed by some vigilante or home owner/shop keeper. Of course, no one wants him shot or injured...........he just needs to be safely brought in to LE.

An acquaintance of of mine (I won't name him on this board) had his single-engine Cesna stolen, flown and wrecked by Colton. His plane was taken last November from a locked hangar on Orcas Island, WA. His little 4-seater was found later (crashed beyond repair) in the Yakima, WA. area. My friend was naturally very angry about it, and when it looked as if Colton was the one who did it, he was even more furious!! The whole "folk-hero" thing is cr@p. Whatever gifts or intellect Colton has is being wasted by a life of running and CRIME. IMO, I think it's disgusting that he has "fans" and a notorious reputation. He's 19 years old and may never live to see 20 if he doesn't stop. JMO.......and I don't condone vigilante behavior........I want him safely caught by LE.

A person shooting someone who is burglarizing their home is not a vigilante.
Maybe the law varies from state to state, but it's certainly perfectly legal in my state.

Fingerprints found in Yankton,SD match Colton Harris Moore.

He's going away for a LONG time if someone does not kill him first. :woohoo:

In Texas, it's perfectly legal to shoot someone if you feel your life or someone else's life is being threatened.

I've followed this story since it first broke as I've been very intrigued by Colton's personality--his gifts, his challenges. I've googled his name with the words; autism, spectrum disorder, idiot savant, and found a good number of comments. I think this is the most important issue about locating this young man for his as well as others' safety. If you read this statement:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colton_Harris-Moore

"....Colton's mother, PK [EBM], has said that her son's father left when he was about 2, his stepfather died when he was about 7, and from the time Colton was in the first grade, she knew there was something off about him—a "sort of a disconnection." He wouldn't listen to his teachers, started altercations at school, and sometimes deliberately broke things around the house, K said...."

After raising 8 children with developmental "differences", and advocating for hundreds of others, it's quite clear to me that Colton is a unique young man who experiences the world very differently than we do. Notice that he is absolutely obsessed with things--especially mechanical things. He also frequently removes his shoes and his clothing. Those are all very common markers of spectrum disorder. And remember that autism has a huge spectrum. Most likely Einstein and Mozart were on the spectrum:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_figures_sometimes_considered_autistic

I am not trying to minimize Colton's very frightening crimes nor to sensationalize them. I am merely stating that this man's developmental disability MUST be considered in both finding him and safely arresting him. IMO, his mother is not helping her son by trivializing his crimes. I believe that she's actually putting him at greater risk by not emphasizing and being more forth-coming with his interests and practices. She could be a great help to the authorities in helping them understand more about his personality, interests, triggers, and fears.

Being that Colton was in public school and has been in residential treatment, he has been fully evaluated. There are psychiatric evaluations available, trust me. These evaluations hold the key to his safe arrest.

IMO, Colton is not a "side show" nor the fodder for Hollywood films, he is a challenged young man who needs a high level of supervision and guidance. He needs a safe environment which is appropriately stimulating for him. He needs help channeling his intelligence into more socially accepted directions. I highly doubt that any level of punitive measures will ever redirect him.

http://yankton.net/articles/2010/07/03/community/doc4c2ebf3c3b070019848615.txt

It’s been confirmed: America’s most-wanted teenager was in Yankton.

Assistant Police Chief Jerry Hisek said a report was received Friday from the South Dakota Division of Criminal Investigation stating that fingerprints found in a Yankton home match those of 19-year-old Colton Harris-Moore, also known as the “Barefoot Bandit.”

“We have three fingerprints that are positive for Harris-Moore,” he said.

Investigators expect to send a request for charges to the Yankton County State’s Attorney Office next week, according to Hisek. At the minimum, he said first- or second-degree burglary charges will be requested. Other charges could include attempted burglary and aggravated assault.

On June 18, the Yankton Police Department received a report of a burglary in the 400 block of Belmont Avenue, which is located near the Hillcrest Golf Course in the northeast portion of the city. Kelly Kneifl and his family had just returned home from a vacation and noticed a door was ajar that had been locked when they left. Upon learning a man was in his home, Kneifl chased the burglar into the basement. However, the intruder pointed a laser at Kneifl and threatened to shoot him if he did not get out of the house. Kneifl complied and the police were contacted. By the time authorities arrived, the suspect had fled the residence.

The fingerprints matching those of suspect Harris-Moore were found in the home.

Police also found evidence that the suspect in that burglary had attempted to break into other neighborhood homes.

DNA evidence has also linked Harris-Moore to the June 19 theft of a white 2008 Toyota Sequoia a few miles east of Yankton. That vehicle was later found in Norfolk, Neb.

Norfolk authorities have issued a warrant for Harris-Moore’s arrest based on visual evidence.

According to the Seattle Times, Harris-Moore has been on the run from authorities since April 2008 when he escaped from a Renton, Wash., halfway house. He had been serving time for burglarizing Camano Island homes. Since his escape, he has eluded authorities while allegedly being involved in a rash of thefts in Washington, British Columbia and Idaho. Among the crimes he is believed to have been responsible for are the theft of boats, airplanes and luxury cars, as well as break-ins at homes and businesses.

Harris-Moore has not been suspected in any crimes since last week, when a stolen 2010 Chevrolet was found abandoned in a Dallas City, Ill., creek bed.

In Texas, it's perfectly legal to shoot someone if you feel your life or someone else's life is being threatened.

Not just if your life is being threatened. In TX, thanks to "castle law" a homeowner can shoot someone to protect property.

Everybody thought Bucky Phillips was a folk hero until he started killing cops. This johnny outlaw BS really annoys me.

I've followed this story since it first broke as I've been very intrigued by Colton's personality--his gifts, his challenges. I've googled his name with the words; autism, spectrum disorder, idiot savant, and found a good number of comments. I think this is the most important issue about locating this young man for his as well as others' safety. If you read this statement:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colton_Harris-Moore

"....Colton's mother, PK [EBM], has said that her son's father left when he was about 2, his stepfather died when he was about 7, and from the time Colton was in the first grade, she knew there was something off about him—a "sort of a disconnection." He wouldn't listen to his teachers, started altercations at school, and sometimes deliberately broke things around the house, K said...."

After raising 8 children with developmental "differences", and advocating for hundreds of others, it's quite clear to me that Colton is a unique young man who experiences the world very differently than we do. Notice that he is absolutely obsessed with things--especially mechanical things. He also frequently removes his shoes and his clothing. Those are all very common markers of spectrum disorder. And remember that autism has a huge spectrum. Most likely Einstein and Mozart were on the spectrum:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_figures_sometimes_considered_autistic

I am not trying to minimize Colton's very frightening crimes nor to sensationalize them. I am merely stating that this man's developmental disability MUST be considered in both finding him and safely arresting him. IMO, his mother is not helping her son by trivializing his crimes. I believe that she's actually putting him at greater risk by not emphasizing and being more forth-coming with his interests and practices. She could be a great help to the authorities in helping them understand more about his personality, interests, triggers, and fears.

Being that Colton was in public school and has been in residential treatment, he has been fully evaluated. There are psychiatric evaluations available, trust me. These evaluations hold the key to his safe arrest.

IMO, Colton is not a "side show" nor the fodder for Hollywood films, he is a challenged young man who needs a high level of supervision and guidance. He needs a safe environment which is appropriately stimulating for him. He needs help channeling his intelligence into more socially accepted directions. I highly doubt that any level of punitive measures will ever redirect him.

Well said. These were my thoughts as well. This is clearly something more than just catch me if you can.

I just wanted to add that I completely agree that individuals have the right to use a gun to defend their property from intruders. I have no beef with that!! As far as I'm concerned, if you're foolish enough to willingly break into someone's else's private property (implying threatened harm), then you certainly run the risk of getting your cohones shot off by someone defending home and hearth. I suppose what I meant to say before is that I worry about someone merely "spotting" Colton in one of his wooded campsites someday and shooting him. He is very much at risk of being killed even when NOT in the process of illegally trespassing or robbing a business or home. I hate that he has a "folk hero" following. IMO, he needs to surrender to authorities before he ends up road kill. Peace!! ~From a poster whose hubby has a few shotguns in our home for that very reason. :)

"It's all fun and games until somebody gets hurt":D

Is that the saying like mom's say? Or "It's all fun until somebody knocks and eye out".

How does one become a self-taught pilot? I never heard of this kid I'm gonna look him up.

I think he will get hurt. Especially with that self taught piloting. He hasn't flown planes so much as he's crashed them.
Also, with all the breaking and entering he does, one day he's going to break in to see the wrong end of a gun. Especially in Oregon. There's tons of rural people out there who would not think twice about shooting him if he comes onto their property. People are fascinated with this kid but for all his ingenuity, he's hurting people and himself. I wish he'd use his gifts in productive manner. I'd hate to be his mama.

I think he will get hurt. Especially with that self taught piloting. He hasn't flown planes so much as he's crashed them.
Also, with all the breaking and entering he does, one day he's going to break in to see the wrong end of a gun. Especially in Oregon. There's tons of rural people out there who would not think twice about shooting him if he comes onto their property. People are fascinated with this kid but for all his ingenuity, he's hurting people and himself. I wish he'd use his gifts in productive manner. I'd hate to be his mama.

ITA! Colton is going to get hurt before too long unless he is safely apprehended. One of the planes he crash landed here in WA had his blood in the cockpit (from crash injury to be certain)!! What makes me sick (besides his irresponsible mom, IMO) is that there are people on Camano and Orcas Islands who actually leave food and water on their doorsteps for him! No joke!! Talk about enabling behavior...... :(

I don't agree with stealing from anyone. We all work very hard for the things we have. However based on articles and his mother stating he always wanted to have his own airline his pictures he drew of planes etc it seems like he had a dream and went for it. He obviously is very intelligent and not letting anything get in his way. His mother stated he checks his facebook fan site, and that she speaks to him sometimes.

Seriously? I don't think stealing others property and/or destroying it is the way to go about attaining one's dream. There are legitimate ways of attaining one's dreams and breaking your mother's heart is not one of them. This kid could easily end up dead the way he is going. I don't see this is a cool thing. I understand the interest in his story - how he is able to keep escaping. Escape is something I'm good at so I get this. But purposefully creating the situation you have to escape from makes no sense. I just think his apparent skills and intelligence could be put to much better use.

ITA! Colton is going to get hurt before too long unless he is safely apprehended. One of the planes he crash landed here in WA had his blood in the cockpit (from crash injury to be certain)!! What makes me sick (besides his irresponsible mom, IMO) is that there are people on Camano and Orcas Islands who actually leave food and water on their doorsteps for him! No joke!! Talk about enabling behavior...... :(

I heard about that. Kid needed real guidance long ago and it's a shame that young men like him don't get it and then proceed to destroy their lives. But Steely Dan is right. Lots of these glorified outlaws are just dangerous thugs. I have no doubt that Colton was not pointing a "laser" at that family. He has robbed many houses and has a lot of help. I believe he may take down others if cornered. It's a real shame. And he's going to be in jail for a more than a year or two. What a waste of a life that probably held so much promise.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MelonyAnn
Back