WA WA - D.B. Cooper Hijacking Mystery, 24 Nov 1971 #4

An interesting find but although it has been identified as a very old sheet, a hobo may have left it there in fairly recent times (not 50 years ago)? I suspect if Cooper had dropped it there in 1971 it would have perished long ago.
I’m surprised Uliss is entertaining this idea that it’s from Cooper. There’s no way a sheet would be intact so many years later, especially with Washington’s harsh weather. He just continues to lose credibility with me. He’s becoming like those Yahoos on Oak Island.

TY! Unsolved for 52 years. The researcher names a possible suspect who died in 2002. From the link:

D.B. Cooper left behind a critical clue: a clip-on tie. After the money and the man vanished without a trace, this possession was spotted on Cooper’s seat [18E] < >. Ulis says the tie was purchased at a J.C. Penny around Christmas 1964 for $1.49.

The evidence is currently under federal lock and key ...

... evidence points to Cooper having in-depth knowledge of the 727 he hijacked

Informative article, 52 years since after the hijack of Northwest Orient flight.

Nov 25, 2023

Informative article, 52 years since after the hijack of Northwest Orient flight.

Nov 25, 2023
It would be nice to see a photo of Vince Petersen from that time.

Interesting. So the metal filing found on the tie is traced to a Boeing lab.

Has it been determined for certain that the metal filing was not inadvertantly transferred to the tie by the parachute (or one of the parachutes) which Cooper then removed and left on the seat. Alternately, the tie may have come off inadvertantly when he put the parachute on and it subsequently fell onto the seat? After all, parachutes also come into contact with aircraft storage bins, frames etc.

Why so certain the filing means it must have been an employee? I'm more akin to believe that this was pulled off by someone who was at least comfortable with skydiving given the atrocious weather and terrain they elected to jump in to.

One interesting point another Websleuther mentioned previously was how did DB arrive at the airport? Great question...
IMO, the case did and has received ALOT of attention. No driver ever came forwarded and said they gave him a ride by taxi or hitchhiking (in a suit lol)
Did he have an accomplice? Someone who dropped him off and was to pick him up? Such a mystery since 1971..

Someone knows something:

-- That someone gave Dan Cooper a ride to the airport.
--Someone did not get a call from Dan Cooper around the Thanksgiving holiday or Christmas for that matter. Unless, of course he made the jump…perhaps he did?
--Bourbon & 7-Up is an unusual drink combo, right? Someone knows someone that may enjoy that type of drink as their preferred adult beverage.
--Did Dan smoke Raleigh cigarettes on a regular basis?

--While composing the sketch from multiple eyewitnesses, a flight attendant makes mention that the composite is a very close resemblance to the hijacker and another flight attendant, said the hijacker would be easily recognized from this sketch, meaning the revision of Composite B. This is the composite shown most often.
--So why isn’t Dan wearing a bow tie in this composite? Why a necktie instead?
--Why no one recognized him from the sketch?

--- It's been over 52 years!

Where is the note he handed to the flight attendant- where is the briefcase with two rows of four red cylinders (flight attendant assumed were dynamite).

I believe Dan Cooper may possibility have been a veteran of the Air Force- he was familiar with McChord AFB location being a 20 minute or so drive from Sea-Tac Airport. He claimed (to the flight attendant) to have a grudge, so it would be interesting to know if FBI, etc. ever looked into whether someone (at the time) recently had some sort of grudge with the USAF. He had no grudge against NW airlines - that flight suited his needs, he told the flight attendant - So why did that particular flight suit Dan's needs?

Dan’s disposition pleasant; however, he became upset when the flight attendant asked him where he was from. Why would that topic upset him?

Perhaps Dan wanted to commit suicide and decided to go out in the most extreme way?

Only spitballing and moo

IMHO the "evidence" that VP was definitely DB Cooper is shaky & far-fetched, at best.

Good question as to how Cooper actually got to the airport. I.e., it's unlikely that he drove his own vehicle/car there & then abandoned this in a parking lot - since, I'm sure he knew that they would examine the cars that weren't picked up at that airport after the crime occurred. That being said, I wonder if he drove & parked a car @ the airport that wasn't registered to him, so they couldn't trace it back to his actual name?!

Maybe he did take a taxi or some form of public transportation to the airport. If he used a taxi, I can see how someone could have specifically remembered him - given that a taxi typically isn't taking large groups of people around (unless they're together). However, if he used public transport (i.e., a bus) - there's a good chance he wouldn't have been easily remembered & just faded into the crowd/background.

Last edited:
All these years.........Still so much fun.

How many bars across the country are named "DB Coopers". Many!

--Bourbon & 7-Up is an unusual drink combo, right? Someone knows someone that may enjoy that type of drink as their preferred adult beverage.

rsbm bbm

Decades ago, at a D.B.Cooper's in a university town in a Midwestern state, Bourbon&7 was known as, you guessed it, a D.B Cooper.

Don't ask me how I know....

jmho ymmv lrr

IMHO the "evidence" that VP was definitely DB Cooper is shaky & far-fetched, at best.

Good question as to how Cooper actually got to the airport. I.e., it's unlikely that he drove his own vehicle/car there & then abandoned this in a parking lot - since, I'm sure he knew that they would examine the cars that weren't picked up at that airport after the crime occurred. That being said, I wonder if he drove & parked a car @ the airport that wasn't registered to him, so they couldn't trace it back to his actual name?!

Maybe he did take a taxi or some form of public transportation to the airport. If he used a taxi, I can see how someone could have specifically remembered him - given that a taxi typically isn't taking large groups of people around (unless they're together). However, if he used public transport (i.e., a bus) - there's a good chance he wouldn't have been easily remembered & just faded into the crowd/background.
Perhaps too far-fetched, but did he ride a bike to the airport? Anything is possible. Opinion only!

Did you know why at that time??? ha ha!!!!

Somehow, yes, I did know.

Greatly prefer Cuba Libre, aka rum&Coke.

Or a pitcher. One particular table was very good for quarters.

Again, don't ask me how I know. Probably picked up the info in passing during a conversation.

That's my story & I'm sticking to it.

jmho ymmv lrr

Someone knows something:

-- That someone gave Dan Cooper a ride to the airport.
--Someone did not get a call from Dan Cooper around the Thanksgiving holiday or Christmas for that matter. Unless, of course he made the jump…perhaps he did?
--Did Dan smoke Raleigh cigarettes on a regular basis?

--While composing the sketch from multiple eyewitnesses, a flight attendant makes mention that the composite is a very close resemblance to the hijacker and another flight attendant, said the hijacker would be easily recognized from this sketch, meaning the revision of Composite B. This is the composite shown most often.
--So why isn’t Dan wearing a bow tie in this composite? Why a necktie instead?
--Why no one recognized him from the sketch?

--- It's been over 52 years!

Where is the note he handed to the flight attendant- where is the briefcase with two rows of four red cylinders (flight attendant assumed were dynamite).

I believe Dan Cooper may possibility have been a veteran of the Air Force- he was familiar with McChord AFB location being a 20 minute or so drive from Sea-Tac Airport. He claimed (to the flight attendant) to have a grudge, so it would be interesting to know if FBI, etc. ever looked into whether someone (at the time) recently had some sort of grudge with the USAF. He had no grudge against NW airlines - that flight suited his needs, he told the flight attendant - So why did that particular flight suit Dan's needs?

Dan’s disposition pleasant; however, he became upset when the flight attendant asked him where he was from. Why would that topic upset him?

Perhaps Dan wanted to commit suicide and decided to go out in the most extreme way?

Only spitballing and moo

This is very inciteful!
The question about how DB got to the airport is something I have never heard discussed anywhere. I never even thought about it but, wow, with you mentioning it…that is SO important!
I certainly hope LE looked into it, but since nobody talks about it, I’m guessing they didn’t.
If he came by taxi you’d think the driver would have contacted LE after the sketch came out, which would have led to where DB was picked up which would have led to other witnesses or something, etc.
If someone DB knew dropped him off, well, the case should have been solved pretty quickly.
If DB drove himself, his lonely car sitting in the parking lot for days should lead to an arrest.
Maybe LE looked into all this and nothing was helpful. But you would think with so many indepth books and documentaries that part of the investigation would have at least been mentioned.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back