WA WA - D.B. Cooper Hijacking Mystery, 24 Nov 1971 #4

This is very inciteful!
The question about how DB got to the airport is something I have never heard discussed anywhere. I never even thought about it but, wow, with you mentioning it…that is SO important!
I certainly hope LE looked into it, but since nobody talks about it, I’m guessing they didn’t.
If he came by taxi you’d think the driver would have contacted LE after the sketch came out, which would have led to where DB was picked up which would have led to other witnesses or something, etc.
If someone DB knew dropped him off, well, the case should have been solved pretty quickly.
If DB drove himself, his lonely car sitting in the parking lot for days should lead to an arrest.
Maybe LE looked into all this and nothing was helpful. But you would think with so many indepth books and documentaries that part of the investigation would have at least been mentioned.
I can't take credit for "how did DB get to the airport," because someone else up thread mentioned that another poster asked this same question. It is a super question!

The question, inspired me, and got things rolling for me. lol

I can't take credit for "how did DB get to the airport," because someone else up thread mentioned that another poster asked this same question. It is a super question!

The question, inspired me, and got things rolling for me. lol
Maybe, he came in on an earlier flight using another name. Or, maybe, a driver (taxi,etc.) dropped him off aways from the airport and he walked there.

Someone knows something:

-- That someone gave Dan Cooper a ride to the airport.
--Someone did not get a call from Dan Cooper around the Thanksgiving holiday or Christmas for that matter. Unless, of course he made the jump…perhaps he did?
--Bourbon & 7-Up is an unusual drink combo, right? Someone knows someone that may enjoy that type of drink as their preferred adult beverage.
--Did Dan smoke Raleigh cigarettes on a regular basis?

--While composing the sketch from multiple eyewitnesses, a flight attendant makes mention that the composite is a very close resemblance to the hijacker and another flight attendant, said the hijacker would be easily recognized from this sketch, meaning the revision of Composite B. This is the composite shown most often.
--So why isn’t Dan wearing a bow tie in this composite? Why a necktie instead?
--Why no one recognized him from the sketch?

--- It's been over 52 years!

Where is the note he handed to the flight attendant- where is the briefcase with two rows of four red cylinders (flight attendant assumed were dynamite).

I believe Dan Cooper may possibility have been a veteran of the Air Force- he was familiar with McChord AFB location being a 20 minute or so drive from Sea-Tac Airport. He claimed (to the flight attendant) to have a grudge, so it would be interesting to know if FBI, etc. ever looked into whether someone (at the time) recently had some sort of grudge with the USAF. He had no grudge against NW airlines - that flight suited his needs, he told the flight attendant - So why did that particular flight suit Dan's needs?

Dan’s disposition pleasant; however, he became upset when the flight attendant asked him where he was from. Why would that topic upset him?

Perhaps Dan wanted to commit suicide and decided to go out in the most extreme way?

Only spitballing and moo
Correction to my post, therefore responding to my post. Records show DB had a clip on tie, rather than a bow tie.

In addition, if Dan Cooper survived the jump, how did he make it out of the area where he landed? Curious if someone helped him - did someone pick him up? moo

This was an interesting podcast regarding D.B. Cooper.

The Mystery of D. B. Cooper: A Conversation with Eric Ulis
Enjoyed the podcast and thought EU well worth the listen. Appreciate EU's tenacity and optimism.

EU makes it clear that Peterson is no longer alive and cannot speak or defend himself. However, he was in the right place to have picked up the tie particles.

He can put Peterson in Seattle at Boeing on the floor during the time the Boeing 747 was being produced and manufactured in Seattle.

Correction to my post, therefore responding to my post. Records show DB had a clip on tie, rather than a bow tie.

In addition, if Dan Cooper survived the jump, how did he make it out of the area where he landed? Curious if someone helped him - did someone pick him up? moo
I think it unlikely someone helped him get out of the area where he landed. He wouldn't have known the exact flightpath the plane was going to take so the likely landing zone would have been so uncertain covering dozens of square miles.

I think it unlikely someone helped him get out of the area where he landed. He wouldn't have known the exact flightpath the plane was going to take so the likely landing zone would have been so uncertain covering dozens of square miles.
In my opinion, he is still there in "the area." After all, why go through all this effort and never spend the money. If he is ever traced through DNA, no one will know where he is or have heard from him since the hi-jacking.

National georgaphic had a special on D.B. Cooper

One conclusion they had on the reason Cooper never turned up is because he is probably dead...
that he landed in the Columbia River and died; but that he would never be found is because at that time the river was a avenue for ocean going ships; that his remains were caught by a sea going ship and are now at the bottom of the sea --except for a portion which broke away and was found in 1980.

Likewise there are several clues to his identity:
1)
First, Cooper appeared to lack the necessary skydiving knowledge, skills, and experience for the type of jump he attempted. "We originally thought Cooper was an experienced jumper, perhaps even a paratrooper," said Carr. "We concluded after a few years this was simply not true. No experienced parachutist would have jumped in the pitch-black night, in the rain, with a 172 mph [77 m/s] wind in his face wearing loafers and a trench coat. It was simply too risky."Skydiving instructor Earl Cossey, who supplied the parachutes, testified Cooper did not need extensive experience to survive the jump and "anyone who had six or seven practice jumps could accomplish this." However, Cossey also noted jumping at night drastically increased the risk of injury, and without jump boots, Cooper probably would have suffered severe ankle or leg injuries upon landing.
Second, Cooper did not appear to have the equipment necessary for either his jump or his survival in the wilderness. Cooper failed to bring or request a helmet, and jumped into a 15 °F (−9 °C) wind at 10,000 feet (3,000 m) in November over Washington State without proper protection against the extreme wind chill
Larry Carr, who led the investigative team from 2006 to 2009, does not believe Cooper was a paratrooper. Instead, Carr speculates Cooper had been an Air Force aircraft cargo loader. An aircraft cargo-loading assignment would provide him with aviation knowledge and experience: cargo loaders have basic jump training, wear emergency parachutes, and know how to dispatch items from planes in flight. As a cargo loader, Cooper would be familiar with parachutes, "but not necessarily sufficient knowledge to survive the jump he made
2)Cooper appeared to be familiar with the Seattle area and may have been an Air Force veteran, based on testimony that he recognized the city of Tacoma from the air as the jet circled Puget Sound, and his accurate comment to Mucklow that McChord Air Force Base was about 20-minutes' driving time from Seattle-Tacoma Airport—a detail most civilians would not know or comment upon
3)Agents theorized that Cooper took his alias from a popular French-language Belgian comics series featuring the fictional hero Dan Cooper, a Royal Canadian Air Force test pilot who took part in numerous heroic adventures, including parachuting. (One cover from the series, reproduced on the FBI website, depicts test pilot Cooper skydiving.)Because the Dan Cooper comics were never translated into English, nor imported to the U.S., they speculated that he had encountered them during a tour of duty in Europe
Clues to his profession?

In March 2009, a group of "citizen sleuths" using GPS, satellite imagery, and other technologies unavailable in 1971,began reinvestigating components of the case. Known as the Cooper Research Team (CRT),the group included paleontologist Tom Kaye from the Burke Museum of Natural History and Culture in Seattle, scientific illustrator Carol Abraczinskas, and metallurgist Alan Stone. Although the CRT obtained little new information about the buried ransom money or Cooper's landing zone, they found, analyzed, and identified hundreds of organic and metallic particles on Cooper's tie.

Using electron microscopy, the CRT identified Lycopodium spores, the source of which was likely pharmaceutical. The team also found minute particles of unalloyed titanium on the tie, along with particles of bismuth, antimony, cerium, strontium sulfide, aluminum, and titanium-antimony alloys. The metal and rare-earth particles suggested Cooper may have worked for Boeing or another aeronautical engineering firm, at a chemical manufacturing plant, or at a metal fabrication and production facility.
The material with the most significance, explained Kaye, was the unalloyed titanium. In the 1970s, the use of pure titanium was rare and would only be used in aircraft fabrication facilities, or at chemical companies combining titanium and aluminum to store extremely corrosive substances. The cerium and strontium sulfide were used by Boeing's supersonic transport development project, and by Portland factories in which cathode ray tubes were manufactured, such as Teledyne and Tektronix. Cooper researcher Eric Ulis has speculated the titanium-antimony alloys are linked to Rem-Cru Titanium Inc., a metals manufacturer and Boeing contractor.[
3) He wanted the money in negotiable American currency.
Implication that Cooper was a non american such as being from Canada

ref:D. B. Cooper - Wikipedia.

One conclusion they had on the reason Cooper never turned up is because he is probably dead...
that he landed in the Columbia River and died; but that he would never be found is because at that time the river was a avenue for ocean going ships; that his remains were caught by a sea going ship and are now at the bottom of the sea --except for a portion which broke away and was found in 1980.

Makes sense. I never thought that Cooper survived the jump. The money (that they proved came from the crime) which was found on the river-bank in 1980 seems to somewhat corroborate this - maybe.

I also agree that Cooper was probably not an experienced/skilled parachutist. However: Even if someone is/was a highly skilled parachutist/jumper, they can't control the weather. So, given that there was a bad storm that night - I don't find it plausible that Cooper could have controlled where he landed whatsoever. I.e., he would just have been blown to wherever the storm/wind took him.

I have 2 burning questions/thoughts about this case I have never seen discussed or mentioned.

1. The amount of money. Did DB know something about the plane before hand? It seems like he asked for a very specific amount of money. Did he know there would be that kind of cash on the plane? Was it normal to have that much on a plane at the time?

2. The reserve parachute. I was a jumper in the army for over 10 years, and its very easy to distinguish the dummy reserve from the real reserve. The dummy one is extremely light and the real one is much heavier. I have thought to myself, if they gave me a dummy reserve, I would probably just have jumped anyways with the kind of stress he must have been feeling at the time. The weather conditions were awful too, but at this point he may have just been all in. Its hard to say, not being him and not being there in the situation. Anyways, I wonder if he did have jumping experience but just ran with it using what he had?

I have 2 burning questions/thoughts about this case I have never seen discussed or mentioned.

1. The amount of money. Did DB know something about the plane before hand? It seems like he asked for a very specific amount of money. Did he know there would be that kind of cash on the plane? Was it normal to have that much on a plane at the time?

2. The reserve parachute. I was a jumper in the army for over 10 years, and its very easy to distinguish the dummy reserve from the real reserve. The dummy one is extremely light and the real one is much heavier. I have thought to myself, if they gave me a dummy reserve, I would probably just have jumped anyways with the kind of stress he must have been feeling at the time. The weather conditions were awful too, but at this point he may have just been all in. Its hard to say, not being him and not being there in the situation. Anyways, I wonder if he did have jumping experience but just ran with it using what he had?
On point #1 it doesn’t seem to be any advance knowledge of supposed money on the plane. IIRC and from sources, ‘D. B. Cooper’ boarded the flight in Portland to Seattle. Upon landing in Seattle his inflight demands were met. And then the plane departed from Seattle to fly over an area he apparently indicated:
From an online Encyclopedia Britannica article:
MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500