WA WA - Laurie Partridge, 17, Spokane, 4 Dec 1974

Stanley Bersen who is imprisoned in WA State for the abduction & murder of another young woman who he buried in a shallow grave, lived close to where Laurie disappeared from if I remember correctly. He was a produce salesman I think. Personally, Bernsen has always seemed like a viable suspect to me. And he's definitely a lesser known dirtbag. And I doubt he had just one victim. Dena

Laurie Partridge: Teen missing since 1974

On Dec. 4, 1974, beautiful 17-year-old blonde hair blue-eyed Laurie Partridge, left Joel E. Ferris High School about 12:30 p.m. She wasn't feeling well and left school early to go home. Laurie began to walk the two miles back to her home on South Custer Street in Spokane, Washington where she lived with her parents and five younger siblings.

Later that evening, after her family could not locate her, reported her missing.

Stumbled upon this article from 2009 while I was on KXLY's website this evening.

Friday marks 35th anniversary of Laurie Partridge's disappearance
Posted: 6:11 pm PST December 4, 2009 Updated: 6:23 pm PST December 4, 2009

There's still a reward out there for information in Laurie's case and if you know anything about it you’re asked to call the Spokane Police Department.

http://www.kxly.com/news/21870682/detail.html

I almost started a new thread in the missing forum as I didn't see one there.
Then I did another search and found this thread.

It would be great if someone that knows something, sees this and calls in the information! I can't imagine how Laurie's loved ones feel, wondering what happened to Laurie all these (almost 37) years.

Just sitting here thinking about this case. One possible senario may be that someone at the school knew she was leaving and walking. A teacher, janitor, student??? He may have known she would be alone and walking and took the opportunity to leave at the same time and possibly have came back without even being missed...? Her pictures portray a very pretty girl so it is possible she may have been admired from afar without her even knowing it. Maybe even someone from a construction or road crew along the way saw an opportunity.+ I would assume though that people at the school were questioned and interviewed thoroughly. I also have wondered if there was any connection to the Julie Weflen case. The incidents were 13 yrs apart but both happened in areas that were fairly rural. Both girls vanished without a trace and no clues or leads or bodies have ever been found. Maybe a serial killer not concered with media attention? Have there been any other girls/women mysteriously vanish in Spokane between 1974 and 1987....or even before or after? Girls who have just vanished and no trace of them ever found?

It's reported that a green Ford Pinto Station Wagon was seen following Laurie as she walked home. I've also heard reports it could have been a Chevrolet Vega,(the station wagon version of this car was known as the Kammback). I've looked at photographs of the two cars and they are very similar. Surely this is the key to the case, identifying the owner of this vehicle. Did she know the man or was it a stranger? What type of guy drives a Station Wagon, 30's/40's, someone with a family, kids? Just an idea.

72_bic_pin.jpg
qitm2jroj99xvd.jpg

Very heartbreaking case. With regards to Laurie walking home alone, times and school policies have changed in many districts, where any student not feeling well who has to be dismissed from school grounds must have a responsible person to pick them up and get them home safely.

Satch

Just my two cents worth, as someone who has read everything I can find on Ted Bundy trying to match him up with other missing women, but I doubt he took Laurie. He normally was out of his car when he persuaded women to go along with him, and often used a ruse such as a cast on his arm or leg, in order to get them to go to his car. I think he enjoyed the cat and mouse game of setting up his lie and getting a woman to go along with him. He might have offered a woman a ride if he saw her walking but it doesn't fit his usual pattern. Given that someone saw Laurie in a field with a man, then again riding in a vehicle, I would discount Bundy completely if those sightings are considered reliable.
I think, in regard to Bundy's credit card receipts, they were able to set up a timeline of what time of day he was in what area. Maybe he just couldn't possibly have gotten to Spokane at the time of day Laurie was taken based on a credit card receipt from another area. They must have had pretty concrete evidence to have ruled someone like Bundy out.
Just my opinion, but I would not be surprised if whoever took Laurie knew her. She may not have known him, or at least not personally, but he may have seen her around or even had his eye on her.
I sure hope the family gets some answers on this. I often think of these cases, so very far in the past now, and wonder how the families have coped with not knowing what happened to their loved one or where their remains are.

Bundy also apparently didn't recall a victim like her, which doesn't prove he didn't, but he seems to have been fairly accurate in his memories.

Did the Speed Freak Killers operate this far north? Never mind, they weren't around yet. Hmmmm.

I really suspect it was someone local, probably somebody known to the whole community...

Ted Bundy would have been a good suspect, but I don't think Laurie was his type-he seemed to go after women with straight dark dark hair, usually parted in the middle...but I guess you never know! Anything is possible! It could have been someone close to her that she knew and trusted as well.

Baffling. I agree Bundy wasn't involved. And the siting of laurie with these men-did she appear scared?

Laurie was mentioned in a great piece about missing persons in The Inlander.

http://www.inlander.com/spokane/article-19687-missing-kathryn-gregory.html

It was 1974, and Spokane was flying high. For the past seven months, the city had courted people from around the world at Expo ’74, proud of its newly restored downtown. Where blight and industrial railroad tracks had defined the city center, now a sprawling park with green lawns signaled the city’s newfound optimism. The National Civic League named it an “All-America City,” and in some ways, Spokane really was a place where the promise of the American Dream felt alive and well. It was a city that felt like a town: a place where families could feel safe, but where the luxuries of urban life were just a 10-minute drive away. A place where people left their doors unlocked at night and let their kids stay out playing after dark. A place that had a symphony and an opera house, but still held onto the rugged, individualistic spirit that defined the Wild West.

So it was shocking when Laurie Partridge, a 17-year-old Ferris High School student, vanished on Dec. 4, 1974, in one of Spokane’s safest areas.

Thinking of Laurie, praying those who know what happened to her will come forward in 2014<3

So there was an expo in town-that must have meant lots of outsiders, construction crew, etc. One of them could have taken Laurie. Also, weren't there quite a few women who disappeared from Spokane during the 70s?

This year will mark the 40 year anniversary of Laurie's disappearance.

Bumping this up because this week on Thursday will mark 40 years since her disappearance. I'm just as confused as to what could have happened to her. What got me interested in this case was her name, Laurie Partridge, because that was the name of a character on the television show The Partridge Family around that same time. Some interesting tidbits I discovered, Susan Dey, the actress who played the character Laurie Partridge is 5 years older than this real life Laurie Partridge that disappeared. Also, the series aired its final episode in March 1974, just nine months before the disappearance of this girl. I've been wondering if any of the cast members of the television show The Partridge Family, especially Susan Dey, know anything about this Laurie Partridge from Spokane that disappeared. Of course we all know that Dave Madden (Reuben Kincaid) passed earlier this year, and I believe this girl's mother died about 10 years ago unfortunately without knowing what happened to her. I just hope one day we will know what happened and that maybe she's even still alive and found, and then everyone can "come on get happy."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back