WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Until now I've just been following along, not posting.

One thing stuck out to me in the slide-show of her pictures though.

In each one, a ring is clearly visible on her ring finger, in one of the closer photos it is clearly a class ring.
I'd like to know if it was hers, or a significant others, as well as why in the last few pictures, it is on the opposite hand.

Back when I was in high school it was common for a bf to give a gf their class ring, sometimes even as a "promise ring".

& I know that some of you have seen writing about a ring recently.

The photos in the slide show remind me of some of the artsy way that Senior photos (or just profesional photos) are done these days (ie. the couch). If they where Senior photos, she would have wanted her class ring showing. JMO

Until now I've just been following along, not posting.

One thing stuck out to me in the slide-show of her pictures though.

In each one, a ring is clearly visible on her ring finger, in one of the closer photos it is clearly a class ring.
I'd like to know if it was hers, or a significant others, as well as why in the last few pictures, it is on the opposite hand.

Back when I was in high school it was common for a bf to give a gf their class ring, sometimes even as a "promise ring".

& I know that some of you have seen writing about a ring recently.

Soemtimes the photographer finds that a picture looks better when it is inverted. You'll often seen photo fails where this was done but writing in the pic is backwards - tell tale sign of a photo being switched. I know my friends will sometimes do that because it "presents" better in a folio.

Also, those locations from her photo shoot, I am 99.9% sure that these were not taken in the Crescent Bar area. Again, I'm very familiar with that area and I know that CB doesn't have any exposed foundations.

The Wenatchee World
Saturday, February 20, 2010

Wild fans donate $5,000 for Cowell reward fund

Nearly $5,000 was raised Friday night at the Wenatchee Wild hockey game to help solve the homicide of Wenatchee High School student Mackenzie Cowell.

An announcer stated that amount over the loudspeaker at the hockey game. Cowell’s friends and other volunteers walked around the audience with collection buckets before the game.

The money will be used as a reward for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of whomever killed Cowell. - snipped

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2010/feb/20/wild-fans-donate-5000-for-cowell/

Originally Posted by peacegirl
Question: Why would the authorities be at Mackenzie's car as quickly as they got there? I thought a missing person her age wasn't missing until 24hrs gone.

Hi Gang!
I just wanted to clarify something on this question, since it hadn't been addressed (this is from thread #1)... a little OT, but... very important IMO...

Any minor, even one who is 17, can be reported as missing immediately upon any concern that s/he is not where they are supposed to be. The "24-hr rule" does not apply to minors. (Actually, it doesn't apply to adults either if there is any suspicion of foul play or possible endangerment- like, a person who mysteriously leaves kids unattended, may have medical issues, or who has taken out a restraining order against someone and then disappears)

Now, that doesn't mean that LE will send out an all-points bulletin for a 17 yr-old who misses curfew or anything... but, for any parent whose hinky-meter is going off, please, please, don't wait 24 hours to call LE. I have been told by a number of LE friends and co-workers that, in their opinion, the best case scenario is to have a call, look into it, and find out that the kid is ok. They would rather know right away, assess the situation and decide what to... of course they want us civilians to do our due diligence first- call the friends or what have you... Common sense, here.

Anyway, sorry for the lengthy post, but I wanted to get the word out there... Thanks for listening! :)

ETA- for anyone who is interested- the "24 hr" thing apparently started from just a SOP, "let's wait 24 hrs and see if they come home"- and, for an adult, that's probably pretty reasonable-- I mean, we all had those times in our youth where we went somewhere to escape, or slept over at a friends house to not drive home irresponsibly, IYKWIM. But, in the case of kids, it never should have been SOP-- although I would guess some LEA's did...

thanks for that clarification I think it also sometimes depends on the police dep't location & their policies/procedures ...

couple q's though:

SOP = ?
LEA = ?

thanks for that clarification I think it also sometimes depends on the police dep't location & their policies/procedures ...

couple q's though:

SOP = ?
LEA = ?

Standard operating procedure

Law enforcement agency

It's so strange that NOBODY who knew her is talking..I've never seen such silence in a case like this & it includes her parents who supposedly are private ppl but they could get a spokesperson like so many others have but obviously that's not what they want to do..I just don't get it! :waitasec:

At the end of this video:

http://www.king5.com/news/local/No-suspect-in-slaying-of-girl-at-Crescent-Bar-84393312.html

It says:

"Mackenzie's mom tells king5 that the FBI has told her not to talk about the case"

I'm not sure if that is standard or not. It would seem to me that besides them not wanting family to reveal details of the crime, it is possible that the family is considered to be too close to the potential suspect and so they want them to maintain silence. Just a thought.

You guys, who do you think put out these Y-Tube Memorials? Was it LE or her family??

I know that a couple of them seem to be put there by a young female friend. If you look at the user name and then view previous uploads it's obviously a high school aged girl.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet but I find the location of her body odd. I'm from Okanogan County and I know the Wenatchee area somewhat...there is so much remote area; why leave her body in the open on the river bank? Even left in the house it would have not been discovered until later perhaps, or in the brush or where her car was found. Did the perp intend for her to be in the river? I am struck by the "out in the open" way she was left.

In the parking lot video I distinctly see the car window go down the minute she comes into the frame.

I sometimes keep a pair of comfy shoes in my car. She appeared to be wearing heels when she left. If she was found in boots she might have just changed in the car - fur boots are more likely UGG types and not heels.

An abduction could have taken place after she left the parking lot. A car jacking is possible. If the perp had a weapon most girls would be frightened enough to comply and go with them or drive them. Is it possible she was ordered to drive there, perp then takes her car, dumps it and walks back?

The brody figure 8 could have been there prior to the murder too, have the police mentioned anything about the tie in?

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet but I find the location of her body odd. I'm from Okanogan County and I know the Wenatchee area somewhat...there is so much remote area; why leave her body in the open on the river bank? Even left in the house it would have not been discovered until later perhaps, or in the brush or where her car was found. Did the perp intend for her to be in the river? I am struck by the "out in the open" way she was left.

In the parking lot video I distinctly see the car window go down the minute she comes into the frame.

I sometimes keep a pair of comfy shoes in my car. She appeared to be wearing heels when she left. If she was found in boots she might have just changed in the car - fur boots are more likely UGG types and not heels.

An abduction could have taken place after she left the parking lot. A car jacking is possible. If the perp had a weapon most girls would be frightened enough to comply and go with them or drive them. Is it possible she was ordered to drive there, perp then takes her car, dumps it and walks back?

The brody figure 8 could have been there prior to the murder too, have the police mentioned anything about the tie in?

We don't know where on the shoreline she was discovered, if you look at some of the linked videos you can see in shots of the property that there is an open section of beach clearly visible, and another further down that is hidden by a tree and brush belt. My feeling is that it's the latter location she was found in; if the neighbors up above could see the brodies they would have been able to see a body on the open section of beach.

The shoes... comments on the Wenworld early in the case indicated that she had multiple changes of clothes and shoes in her car. I don't really think it's relevant, personally. If she was wearing heels in the video she must have changed out of them and into her boots before whatever happened to her occurred. Yet another indication IMO that she wasn't abducted (because who changes their shoes when they have been snatched?). The heels must have been found in her car, ergo the missing person reports described her as wearing the fur boots.

Actually my above thought about her having to have changed her shoes thus she couldn't have been abducted I hadn't thought of before. I wonder if that's part of what makes the police so sure.

The police have said for whatever reason they don't think this is an abduction. I don't either based on previous statements they've made.

Police have said nothing about the brodies on the property, that was just a statement of the neighbors.

We don't know where on the shoreline she was discovered, if you look at some of the linked videos you can see in shots of the property that there is an open section of beach clearly visible, and another further down that is hidden by a tree and brush belt. My feeling is that it's the latter location she was found in; if the neighbors up above could see the brodies they would have been able to see a body on the open section of beach.

The shoes... comments on the Wenworld early in the case indicated that she had multiple changes of clothes and shoes in her car. I don't really think it's relevant, personally. If she was wearing heels in the video she must have changed out of them and into her boots before whatever happened to her occurred. Yet another indication IMO that she wasn't abducted (because who changes their shoes when they have been snatched?). The heels must have been found in her car, ergo the missing person reports described her as wearing the fur boots.

Actually my above thought about her having to have changed her shoes thus she couldn't have been abducted I hadn't thought of before. I wonder if that's part of what makes the police so sure.

The police have said for whatever reason they don't think this is an abduction. I don't either based on what we previous statements they've made.

Police have said nothing about the brodies on the property, that was just a statement of the neighbors.

Girlfawkes,
If they know its not an abduction, then perhaps we have all missed the same clue. She was reported wearing boots when last seen, but the video clearly shows her in heels...and thats the last time she was seen alive. Was she found with boots on? If that is the case then whoever reported her last wearing boots may know more than they are saying, just another overworked brain....

Hello all!! I am very new to this, but I find it all very interesting. I am a local here in Wenatchee. I have lived her 26 yrs, living in Orondo 14 yrs and Wenatchee the rest. I watched the memorial slide show and noticed some questions on the location. While I can't be sure, I am almost positive it is not where she was found or where her car was left. Many of the areas around here look very similar to those in the picture, but my guess is they are just her senior photos which to me looked like they might have been taken in Orondo.

Girlfawkes,
If they know its not an abduction, then perhaps we have all missed the same clue. She was reported wearing boots when last seen, but the video clearly shows her in heels...and thats the last time she was seen alive. Was she found with boots on? If that is the case then whoever reported her last wearing boots may know more than they are saying, just another overworked brain....

That's one of the many details that they are keeping quiet. Reports simply state that her feet were in the water, boots or no boots.

If she was wearing heels in the video, and if the boots have no heel, then clearly she changed shoes before she met with the perp. Obviously she has no problem driving in heels, so why would she change her shoes? Myself? If I was planning a walk. Perhaps on a beach where it might be wet. This might explain why her jacket was gone too.

Oh, ETA- Early reports stated that she had changes of shoes and clothes in her car almost all the time. I think they probably arrived at the conclusion that she was wearing the boots because those were not in the car.

"In the abandoned car was women’s clothing. Moore said today that there was no intimate clothing that might indicate foul play.

Rasmussen said clothing in the car was normal for her friend.

“She always has lots of shoes in there,” she said. “She basically lives out of her car, she has so much stuff in there all the time.”

I also tend to think that these boots were the same as those in her FB photo and it's hard to see if they have heels. Most of these type of boots don't though.

Just some thoughts.

Oh, ETA (again, sorry!)-

The jacket. It's hard to see if she's wearing it in the video, though obviously whatever she is wearing sits at thigh level. She's so thin that she could have been wearing it I suppose.

Here's a reminder of the original description for reference:

""Cowell is 5 feet 8 inches tall, 110 pounds and has brown hair, recently dyed with a reddish tint, according to Moore. She was last seen wearing black pants, a black top, a black coat that ties at the waist and brown suede-like boots with fur trim. She also wears braces."

Hello all!! I am very new to this, but I find it all very interesting. I am a local here in Wenatchee. I have lived her 26 yrs, living in Orondo 14 yrs and Wenatchee the rest. I watched the memorial slide show and noticed some questions on the location. While I can't be sure, I am almost positive it is not where she was found or where her car was left. Many of the areas around here look very similar to those in the picture, but my guess is they are just her senior photos which to me looked like they might have been taken in Orondo.

Welcome, miss!

couple q's though:

SOP = ?
LEA = ?

Oh! SOP= standard operating procedure
and LEA= Law enforcement agency
Sorry!

I think we've really come up against a brick wall IMHO. Unless DCSO/CCSO releases new information we're all just running in circles. I did notice that the answer to someones question in the last thread of why the family has not been in front of the camera has come to light. The FBI told her to keep quiet. Very interesting considering the circumstances. They don't do that very often, usually the mother or father is out infront of the cameras almost immediately, and with this case, no sight of them. Even the media presence in the Wenatchee Area has been scaled back. I don't think KIRO, KOMO, KING or KCPQ have done any live broadcasts from Wenatchee Valley lately, meaning the crews they have over here are reporter/investigator crews, probably relying very heavily on the generocity of the folks at KPQ and Wenatchee World for information. Even the other big local news outlet, KOHO in Leavenworth has only covered the headlines.

This is what makes me really curious. Put that in with the local rumor that they know who, they just need the evidence, and things start making sense. All I know is these local rural county mounties and small city cops are keeping hush-hush way better than Phoenix PD did during the Baseline Serial Killings. No leaks, nothing.

My hats are off to the DCSO/CCSO/WPD and the FBI along with the local media. Looks like they might actually be handling one right!

I think we've really come up against a brick wall IMHO. Unless DCSO/CCSO releases new information we're all just running in circles. I did notice that the answer to someones question in the last thread of why the family has not been in front of the camera has come to light. The FBI told her to keep quiet. Very interesting considering the circumstances. They don't do that very often, usually the mother or father is out infront of the cameras almost immediately, and with this case, no sight of them. Even the media presence in the Wenatchee Area has been scaled back. I don't think KIRO, KOMO, KING or KCPQ have done any live broadcasts from Wenatchee Valley lately, meaning the crews they have over here are reporter/investigator crews, probably relying very heavily on the generocity of the folks at KPQ and Wenatchee World for information. Even the other big local news outlet, KOHO in Leavenworth has only covered the headlines.

This is what makes me really curious. Put that in with the local rumor that they know who, they just need the evidence, and things start making sense. All I know is these local rural county mounties and small city cops are keeping hush-hush way better than Phoenix PD did during the Baseline Serial Killings. No leaks, nothing.

My hats are off to the DCSO/CCSO/WPD and the FBI along with the local media. Looks like they might actually be handling one right!

Yes. It's frustrating but I would like to think they have reason.

I will say that even though they haven't made any open media statements, the family is using other media. Wendy has made a couple of posts on the FB memorial page, and her brothers have set up these pages. AFAIK Reid and the potential boyfriend(s) have been completely silent. I'm not going anywhere with that thought, just saying what I've observed. It could just be that they aren't ready to make any comment.

This was published in the Wenatchee World today:

Capt. Doug Jones, a spokesman for the task force investigating the death, said Saturday morning that there are still no suspects in the case.
He said investigators are waiting for results to come back from the crime lab. Those are not expected to return until sometime this coming week.

I found it very interesting how the above was worded. It almost sounds like they are saying that they have no suspects and might when the evidence comes back.
Could they have a suspect linked to the car and want to link them to the body and the scene before they commit to anything?

Jimmy

This was published in the Wenatchee World today:

Capt. Doug Jones, a spokesman for the task force investigating the death, said Saturday morning that there are still no suspects in the case.
He said investigators are waiting for results to come back from the crime lab. Those are not expected to return until sometime this coming week.

I found it very interesting how the above was worded. It almost sounds like they are saying that they have no suspects and might when the evidence comes back.
Could they have a suspect linked to the car and want to link them to the body and the scene before they commit to anything?

Jimmy

That is interesting.

Personally I think it's BS that they don't have any suspects, I just think they don't want to admit it because the whole town would start rioting or something, LOL. They are admitting that they are waiting for forensics though, which IMO is telling. Forensics usually only confirm or refute a theory, they don't make the theories themselves. KWIM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500