Identified! WA - Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #6 *name withheld*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just as I suspected, people on Reddit aren't too keen to remove the photos and believe they should be left, because they were publicly released, and that people should "deal with it". All in favour of a "Lyle's Law" that protects unidentified (and identified) decedents from having their privacy and dignity compromised because it's technically legal to issue a FOIA request for such material?

Releasing sketches, reconstructions and details about the case is helpful, as is sometimes posting photos of belongings if it could aid in identifying someone, but I don't think any good can come from photos being released on the scale that Lyle's were. Especially now that DNA tesing seems to be the best tool in solving these cases. I'm saddened but not all that shocked by how insensitive some people can be; despite what they say, it does matter...

I disagree with you, personally and I'm definitely not insensitive.

I disagree with you, personally and I'm definitely not insensitive.

I meant that the "deal with it" type of attitude is a little insensitive in this scenario. Lyle isn't public property, and we have no right or need to have a whole album depicting his death scene...especially now that he's been identified and his family may discover the images. That's just my opinion, though.

So I'm the one who posted the link to the album here that was posted on reddit by someone who did a FOIA request.

When I posted the links I never dreamt the case would be solved. I posted them in hopes that us sleuths would be able to solve the mystery and bring this young man home. I didn't ever stop to think that his family may see the pictures some day. I've been in contact with the mods of this forum to have my posts removed - I'd remove them myself but I can't seem to do that.

I sincerely apologize for any harm caused to his family by way of my posting the links to the albums.

I don't think you need to apologize for anything. I'm glad you did link the photos. There are other cases here that have been solved by family members or friends of the deceased seeing morgue photos. Sometimes the sketches just do not accurately capture the person for their family to be able to ID them. JMO.

Thanks y'all - if anyone knows how to get the post deleted, let me know.

I just want to clarify that I wasn't trying to shame anyone for discussing or posting links to the photos while we were trying to identify Lyle. There is a difference between releasing one or two photographs of the deceased to help people who are comparing them to missing persons or in the hopes that someone will recognise them and releasing an entire album of photos that we don't and didn't ever really need to identify him - we have dozens of photos of Lyle as he was found and it just feels like a violation of his dignity. I'm sure the person who sought to release them had good intentions and wanted to help, but it doesn't sit right with me that the images were released on that scale and that they're still around. Maybe I'm wrong and it's not my place to decide, but I hope we can remove as many of them as possible. I'm truly sorry if my posts offended anyone.

I just want to clarify that I wasn't trying to shame anyone for discussing or posting links to the photos while we were trying to identify Lyle. There is a difference between releasing one or two photographs of the deceased to help people who are comparing them to missing persons or in the hopes that someone will recognise them and releasing an entire album of photos that we don't and didn't ever really need to identify him - we have dozens of photos of Lyle as he was found and it just feels like a violation of his dignity. I'm sure the person who sought to release them had good intentions and wanted to help, but it doesn't sit right with me that the images were released on that scale and that they're still around. Maybe I'm wrong and it's not my place to decide, but I hope we can remove as many of them as possible. I'm truly sorry if my posts offended anyone.

I'm the one who linked the albums of 60+ photos here to websleuths. I'm not the one who did the FOIA request that resulted in all those images though. I honestly do not know of the intention of the person who FOIA'd him. I don't know what could be done about the crime scene album on imgur as I'm not the one who uploaded the photos to it (if it were me, I'd delete it). I can't find a way to report the post to the higher-ups at imgur... if anyone knows a way, please do so. I'll dig through my PMs on reddit to see if I can contact the person who got the FOIA in the first place.

I'm the one who linked the albums of 60+ photos here to websleuths. I'm not the one who did the FOIA request that resulted in all those images though. I honestly do not know of the intention of the person who FOIA'd him. I don't know what could be done about the crime scene album on imgur as I'm not the one who uploaded the photos to it (if it were me, I'd delete it). I can't find a way to report the post to the higher-ups at imgur... if anyone knows a way, please do so. I'll dig through my PMs on reddit to see if I can contact the person who got the FOIA in the first place.

I've contacted Imgur and asked them to take the album down, however I don't know what their response will be so it would be really helpful if you could track that person down and ask them to do it. Thank you so much.

I found the PMs and sent a new one to the person I got the link from. I'll keep y'all updated.

I contacted "Lyle's" father with my idea, and he agrees with my suggestion that if people would like to write something to the family, they could be sent to me. He said "It relieves the pain in our hearts to know that so many wonderful people were involved". I will act as moderator and conduit for the family. If you want to send email, send it to lyoumans@co.grays-harbor.wa.us. If you would like to send a letter or card (NO PACKAGES), send it to Lane Youmans, Grays Harbor Coroner's Office, 1006 N. H Street Aberdeen, WA 98520.

Agreed. The images were released in a legal manner through an FOIA request. They are public records. They have helped tremendously in generating and keeping interest focused on this heartbreak UID case.

We obviously can’t wipe them from the innerwebs, but they are of little value to any of us now. Maybe they can be removed from these Websleuths threads. I’ll flag a mod to ask, if it hansn’t already been done.

Sorry if I’m repeating anyone — I’m still catching up!!

I contacted "Lyle's" father with my idea, and he agrees with my suggestion that if people would like to write something to the family, they could be sent to me. He said "It relieves the pain in our hearts to know that so many wonderful people were involved". I will act as moderator and conduit for the family. If you want to send email, send it to lyoumans@co.grays-harbor.wa.us. If you would like to send a letter or card (NO PACKAGES), send it to Lane Youmans, Grays Harbor Coroner's Office, 1006 N. H Street Aberdeen, WA 98520.

This is wonderful! So sweet. Thank you, Mr. Youmans. ❤️

A small update on the photos: they are slowly being removed, each time I check the image search results they look a little different, because a photo is gone. If I can't get every single one removed, I will try to make them as obscure and difficult to find as possible.

I'm completely in favor of as many websites taking down the photos as possible now that it has been solved and he is identified. That said-- While it is really unfortunate that pictures of Lyle's death are out on the internet now, IMHO, had the photos not been released he may not have had so many following his case. New sketches were made based on the photos and the photos were very useful for comparing to photos of missing persons. The photos didn't solve it, no, but they gave sleuthers more info to work with while trying to ID him and that in turn led to keeping the case active online. IMO, because of the attention Lyle's case had online, he was one of the first to be selected and eventually identified by the DNA Doe Project. Sure, DNA could have solved the case without the photos but I think one could argue that if no photos and no additional info had been released with an FOIA, it might have taken much longer for his case to be selected for this new process of DNA identification through genealogical DNA. Again, I'm all in favor of as many websites taking down the photos as possible now that it has been solved and he is identified. His family was wise to not release his name, IMO. The good thing is that anyone who knew "Lyle" in real life likely will not know to go looking for the photos unless told about his alias. We see the images pop up quickly because we know what to search for but most people are not aware of JD cases or websites like this. If most of the mainstream sources and reputable places like Websleuths remove the morgue photos they will eventually not come up as easily in the search. It will probably be impossible to completely remove them but with time I think they will be harder to find. JMO.

The scene photos had nothing to do with Lyle being picked at DNA Doe Project. The 2 mods at Reddit contacted Colleen after Lori Ruff was ID'd by Colleen. UNT wouldn't release the needed strand of DNA to a non-government agency so Colleen did research on how to do this; she had also met with the forensic gal from BG's case; DNA Doe Project was born.

The person from reddit said it's unlikely they'd be able to have the images removed bc they've been mirrored so many times.

It's nice to see (per buttons) that they're slowly being removed though.

Also, out of curiosity - in a case like this, where someone goes missing for so many years and ends up deceased, would the family be given the option to view the crime scene photos by the detective working the case? Or would they have to ask? Or is all that stuff (the file) off the table?

The person from reddit said it's unlikely they'd be able to have the images removed bc they've been mirrored so many times.

It's nice to see (per buttons) that they're slowly being removed though.

Also, out of curiosity - in a case like this, where someone goes missing for so many years and ends up deceased, would the family be given the option to view the crime scene photos by the detective working the case? Or would they have to ask? Or is all that stuff (the file) off the table?

Oh no...it doesn't matter too much that they've been mirrored, we can deal with those one at a time. That album is the source of the photos, so it's really important that it's removed. Are they not going to delete it?

I believe police would release the photos to Lyle's family if they were to ask for them.

The scene photos had nothing to do with Lyle being picked at DNA Doe Project. The 2 mods at Reddit contacted Colleen after Lori Ruff was ID'd by Colleen. UNT wouldn't release the needed strand of DNA to a non-government agency so Colleen did research on how to do this; she had also met with the forensic gal from BG's case; DNA Doe Project was born.

The mods at reddit weren't the only people who contacted Colleen. I know that I had personally reached out to Colleen way before the DNA Doe Project was even established. I am sure there are many other individuals who have reached out to her personally to either advocate for Lyle or let her know how much this case has touched them.

Not directly, no. I think you misunderstood my post. My point was that the case became bigger on the net because of the photos. The Reddit crowds following were part of that. This is just my opinion, of course, and I may be wrong-- it may have still been a big case online (and no doubt some people cared without the photos), but I think many people felt compassion for Lyle and drawn to the case after seeing real photos of him (JMO). And the photos were useful for comparison to missing persons and making new sketches-- when they were released. I'm totally in agreement, however, that they serve no purpose now and should be removed wherever they can be. But to try to outlaw releasing morgue photos of UID's could make it harder to get people ID'd. That is the only thing I disagree with-- the notion that a law needs to be made to prevent release of photos in other cases. Some UID's may be identified by photos more quickly and easily than an expensive DNA Genealogy Search. It should be on a case-by-case basis if photos are released IMO.

(PS: Thanks for the background on the Lori Ruff connection-- I thought that might be how things unfolded because I followed Lori Ruff/Kimberly Mclean's case too but I hadn't read anything stating that background)

Thanks Mr. Youmans! This is great! I will reach out to you in the near future.

Oh no...it doesn't matter too much that they've been mirrored, we can deal with those one at a time. That album is the source of the photos, so it's really important that it's removed. Are they not going to delete it?

I believe police would release the photos to Lyle's family if they were to ask for them.

I will ask if they have the capacity to delete them (not sure if they were uploaded independent of an imgur account - if so, we'd have to go directly to imgur).

I'm so happy that Lyle has been identified.

It doesn't matter one bit to me that I don't know his name. The main thing I wanted to know is whether he had been loved during his life, and from his father's words its obvious that the answer to that question is yes.

I also feel glad knowing that his family are protected from the worst sort of internet crazy people, who would be sending them all sorts of abuse if they had released his name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member