WA WA - Richard 'Cody' Haynes, 11, Kittitas, 12 Sept 2004

It seems really strange to me that this little boy went missing at the same time his dad went hunting for car parts at 2:30 a.m. I have never heard of any place being open at that time of the night. I hate to think the worst but this boy has never been found....never been a trace of him anywhere. I just wonder if things didn't get out of hand between dad and Cody and Cody ended up dead. His body could be buried miles and miles and miles away from home. No one really knows where dad went in the middle of the night. The whole story is strange to me. I wonder if dad and his girlfriend ever took a lie detector test...probably not. Something is fishy here.

This too, is very sad. My cousin has been missing for 6months. i know the pain.

Do we have any suggestions to the family to help them push the LE's to further investgate the dad?

'Cody is not forgotten here'
Kittitas boy disappeared one year ago today

Posted: Sept. 12, 2005
By ANDREA PARIS

KITTITAS -- It's been a year since 11-year-old Kittitas boy Cody Haynes disappeared under questionable circumstances. What remains is a haunting picture of a smiling boy whose bright eyes and grin peer at passers-by from a simple 8 1/2-by-11 piece of paper announcing he is missing and endangered. That and a lot of unanswered questions.

Sept. 12, 2004

Richard Cody Haynes always preferred to be called by his nickname, Cody. He lived with his biological father Richard Haynes, his father's new wife, Marla Harding-Haynes as well as his four sisters inside a run-down two-story building in the heart of Kittitas's downtown.

Harding-Haynes once described Cody as a deceitful child who needed limitations and a strong sense of discipline. Cody's grandmother, Audrey Haynes, said earlier Cody was a "normal, rambunctious little boy." Others have said Cody was a caring, playful and artistic child.

On Sept. 11, 2004, Cody had been sent to his room for disciplinary reasons. Harding-Haynes reported earlier she was told by Richard Haynes to have no contact with the boy as Haynes himself said he would speak to his son when he returned home later on Sept. 12.

Richard Haynes told police he left his home in the early morning hours of Sept. 12. Haynes said his route took him first to the Lower Valley to look for car parts and then on to Sprague west of Spokane where he encountered car problems. Haynes reported he did not get home until the late afternoon of Sept. 12.

Missing

Nearly 17 hours after the boy was sent to his room, Cody's father reported his son missing to authorities. Haynes told police Cody was being disciplined and was made to stay in his room without meals or contact from the rest of the family during that day. Haynes and Harding-Haynes reported Cody had arranged his stuffed animals under his covers to make it look as though he were in bed, took a bag of clothes, and managed to slip away unnoticed.

Officers reported finding a bag of clothing inside a shed on the Haynes' property along with the boy's bicycle.

Officials learned much later Cody and Harding-Haynes had a heated argument on Sept. 11 in which the boy was made to stay at the kitchen table for nearly four hours after reportedly refusing to do dishes and put leftovers away. Cody was told to go to his bedroom around midnight.

That was the last time anyone has seen Cody.

Alone

The Haynes family was insular by choice.

Cody and his sisters had been removed from the public school system and were being home schooled by Harding-Haynes. The children weren't often in the company of those from outside the family unit, and when they were, oddities were noticed.

School friends reported the children were made to stand outside for extended periods of time during the winter without shoes or a coat. In 2002, an Ellensburg elementary school principal reported he believed the children were suffering from emotional and physical abuse and neglect at the hands of their father and Harding-Haynes. None of the allegations were proven, and the children remained inside the home until Cody's disappearance last year when officials removed the four Haynes girls from the home on Sept. 17, and placed them into foster care.

Kittitas Police Department Chief Steve Dunnagan said the Haynes girls have since been found dependent and currently are wards of the state.

The case

Dunnagan and Kittitas County Sheriff's Office detective Jerry Shuart have spent countless hours working the Cody case, a case Dunnagan himself admits haunts him.

"It's been a year," he said sitting at his desk surrounded by mounds of paperwork he has either collected or generated in the Cody case. "It's draining me. Every day it's 'what are we going to do to find Cody today?' It's constant. Eighty five percent of my time is spent on this case."

Dunnagan said the case has led he and Shuart to California, Oregon, Idaho and a farmer's field in Sprague. Cadaver dogs, aerial searches, national television exposure and good old-fashioned police work have yet to bring hoped for results though leads continue to trickle in.

Officials from the FBI, Washington State Patrol, Green River Task Force and national organizations like the Center for Missing and Exploited Children have lent a hand in the investigation. Sex offenders living in and outside Kittitas County have been interviewed and eliminated as suspects including the notorious Joseph Edward Duncan.

Nothing tangible has been found to lead police to a suspect though many items have been collected from the Haynes' home and automobiles and taken to the state's crime lab where it is being processed as evidence.

Dunnagan said he does have an active DNA sample and said Cody's biological mother, whose name has not been released, is very cooperative as is the rest of Cody's family. That is except father and stepmother who have refused to talk with police since last October and who do not make inquiries into the progress of the case, he said.

What's next

Dunnagan grimly said all that's left to do is "chase leads."

"There are things that just don't make sense," he said.

Meanwhile Dunnagan continues to try to prove Richard Haynes' story of his early morning jaunt around Central Washington the day his son disappeared. Dunnagan plans a trip to Naches and Toppenish where he will circulate pictures of Cody and Richard at car shows Richard Haynes reportedly attended last year at this time.

"I'm trying to retrace his steps to confirm his route," Dunnagan said. "The only person who says he was there is Richard. I can't confirm or deny Marla's story."

When the case will break is unknown, Dunnagan admits, though he is hopeful Cody is alive, somewhere.

"This case has had its ups and downs every time I get a tip," he said. "I keep wondering how many more I'll get until I find the truth or what happened. I'm still going. Cody is not forgotten here."

http://www.kvnews.com/articles/2005/09/12/news/news01.txt

I don't know about anyone else but when the father doesn't even bother to keep in contact with LE to check on his son's case that tells it all as far as I'm concerned. Look at the parents of other missing children...it may be years since their child disappeared but they are still looking and hoping. I've never heard of any other parent, with the exception of this father, who just moves on and doesn't look back.

I think the dad killed Cody. Whether it was intentional or not I think he is guilty as heck. His story stinks. The stepmother didn't even check on that little boy for all of those hours? She didn't check because she knew he wasn't in his bedroom. I'm glad that the girls no longer live with their dad. It's a darn shame that Child Protective Services waited until after Cody disappeared to determine that the children weren't safe. Maybe Cody would have been saved if they had been on the ball.

I hope LE can find something so that they can make the arrests and put that father and stepmother away for good. No one should get away with murder.

Poor little Cody. I hope that he did indeed run and that he will be found alive and happy away from his abuser(s).

It has been a very long year and still no word on Cody and no good leads.
The police have certainly not given up nor has the family. The FBI is very involved and still looking and interviewing people. Cody is not a pretty young woman so the press has kind of lost interest although there was some "one year" coverage.
As for his sisters... They are in good foster homes and doing quite well. They pray every day that their brother is safe. We see them often.
Cody not being seen after he was sent to bed is not exactly correct. A neighbor swore in court that she saw him coming down the steps on the day he disappeared while his father was gone. The police tend do not believe her but the judge did. Also the father and what is now the step-mother do talk to the police just not to the local police. They think the locals are trying to pin something on them instead of trying to kind the boy, although I do not think that. I think the chief is looking at that but also trying to find him.
Thank you all for your concern. Everyday we hope to get that good phone call.

David Haynes

Dear David,

I am so sorry that Cody has not yet been found. Please email me at your earliest convenience as I would like to run Cody on one of my programs.

email: kelly.jolkowski@projectjason.org

I would like to gently remind others that this is the support and information forum. Case discussions and theories belong elsewhere.

Kittitas boy has been missing since September 2004

Posted: October 28, 2005

KITTITAS — It has been nearly 14 months since 12-year-old Cody Haynes disappeared without a trace from the town of Kittitas, though it seems to be only yesterday for Steve Dunnagan.

And even though the soft-spoken police chief has spent countless hours gathering scraps of information from across the nation, dealt with silent, hostile parents, battled public rumors and spent many sleepless nights trying to find the boy, Dunnagan decided to release the case to FBI agents late last week.

“He’ll always be there for me and I always will be an intrinsic part of the investigation,” he said. “But turning the case over to them was the best thing I could do for him.”

“We are pleased to have the case and intend to work it very aggressively,” FBI spokeswoman Robbie Burroughs said. “We have been anxious to play a bigger role in this case and you can be sure it will be a priority for us.”

Background

Cody Haynes was reported missing Sept. 12, 2004 by his father, Richard, after the boy reportedly had been sent to his room the previous evening to be punished. The Haynes family sticks by its story; Cody was last seen that night. The boy managed to creep from a room he shared with his father inside a run-down apartment building, drop a bag of clothing inside a shed on the family’s property, and vanish into the night, never to be seen again.

But police learned through investigation that Cody had been in an altercation with Haynes’ live-in girlfriend, Marla Harding, on Sept. 11 after refusing to do dishes and put leftovers away. Police also learned Cody was made to sit at the kitchen table until midnight when he was reportedly sent to his room and told not to come out for any reason.

After Cody’s disappearance authorities unearthed a can of worms including allegations of child abuse and neglect at the hands of Harding and Haynes. Cody’s sisters were removed from the home mere days after his disappearance and since have been declared dependent by the state. Dunnagan said the children are now doing “very well” in their foster homes, and are leading the lives of happy, secure children.

Harding and Haynes have since married but according to Dunnagan, still refuse to speak with police about their missing son or make inquiries about the case.

Continued at link:

http://www.kvnews.com/articles/2005/10/28/news/news02.txt

Bumping for Cody. His sweet little face just breaks my heart. I want to know what happened to him. :furious: :furious: :furious:

Prayers for Cody.

he was made to sit at the table till MIDNIGHT because he didnt want to do dishes? poor kid...i never had to do everyone's dishes when I was 11 years old!

I think this is a case of child abuse gone wrong. At 2:30 is when the dad went to go dispose of the body...no doubt in some rural place where he won't be found for a good while.

I'm sure the sister had to have heard some commotion going on as well.

Any new leads on this sweet adorable little guy?

tia

The parents said that Cody packed a bag or his backpack...threw it out a window and then hid it in an outer building the night that he disappeared. Now how would they know that he hid a bag in an outer building? They haven't seen him since he disappeared.

I still believe that the dad's story about going to find a car part in the middle of the night is total bull. I believe that he did something with that little boy and he might never be found. I wonder if the girls are still in state custody?
I hope so. At least they will be safe. Poor little Cody didn't have a chance.
The parents don't even contact the police to see how the case is going???
That speaks volumes.

bump for cody he went missing in WA his Father supposedly was in Seattle. 40mi from lakewood.

Cody's story sounds so much like the Ricky Holland story. I just wonder if his body will ever be found. After a year its unlikely that Cody is still alive. Kids that young usually don't just strike out on their own and live on the streets.
I hope Cody is found and that whoever or whoevers did this to him are found out. I still don't buy the dad's story. I've never even heard of a junkyard or car parts store that is open in the middle of the night.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/haynes_richard.html

Cody may have left of his own accord, but after receiving the information from his sister investigators announced that he could be the victim of a homicide. They have no evidence that he was killed inside his home, but the fact that he has not been heard from in so long is indicative that he met with foul play. Due to his age and family background, Cody is considered to be in danger. His case was turned over to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) in October 2005; it remains unsolved.

Sounds to me like his father is the cause of his disappearance.

I agree, the father may have more information to where he is. to leave a child in the room for 18 hours without the bathroom,food or water is rediculous :mad: :banghead: i can understand why he would have wanted to run away but some things don't make any sense :waitasec:

bump for Cody.

Does anyone know if anything is happening in this investigation?

And for the record, I really don't think Cody left on his own accord......JMHO

bumping for Cody. Someone knows something. I just wish they'd grow some guts and fess up.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back