GUILTY WA - Sheryl Huntley, 40, shot to death, Selah, 1 July 2009

They supposedly picked this man up at night? I guess when you've got to make up a perp, you've got to make him sound "scary," even if it would make no sense to allow some scary stranger in your car. It sounds to me like he's describing a pirate.
Exactly like a pirate! Sheesh!

Isn't it sad that we instantly say, "Yeah right, buddy!" when a story like this surfaces from a hubby with a dead wife? However, it is with good reason.

Bless her heart. :( Either way, she is gone and it is such a waste.

I am sorry to hear the wife was killed. I guess it wouldnt matter if it was him or her shot in head. We would still think the other did it.
This is just strange. He only got shot in the hand... I guess time will tell, well detectives will tell if he shot her and himself.

I along with most of you.. Thought again?? Whats wrong with just leaving and not looking back.

Hopefully thats not the case, and it could really be a hitchhiker.

You know I was just thinking today, that this would probably be the closest you could ever come to in committing the perfect murder. Catch the person you want to kill with their spouse, wear gloves, shoot your target, shoot the spouse in the arm, shoot to empty the gun then make the spouse hold the weapon while you leave. Even if the spouse manages to convince anyone that they didn't do the shooting, the defense attorney would have a heck of chance to provide reasonable doubt, in that the spouse could have done it.

But I still don't think that is what happened this time. I presume they found the weapon used, whose fingerprints were on it and how many bullets were left in it?

Yep. It's getting to be "SSDD" on a regular basis!

Snippet from article,
Details fuzzy in homicide on I-82

The sheriff's office said Harwood gave a very detailed description of the hitchhiker. He said the man was Hispanic, probably around 20, about 5 feet 6 inches and skinny. His head was shaved, with a longer bit of hair across the forehead, a scar over his left eye and a "sharp" jaw line. His nose may have been broken in the past. He was wearing a red bandanna, white T-shirt, navy blue Dickies pants and two diamond stud earrings.

Wow, hubby's description of the (alleged) perp doesn't sound too fuzzy to me!
In fact, it's probably one of the most detailed descriptions I can recall ever hearing or reading. And, if I'm not mistaken, the 'alleged' hitch hiker" was picked up at night by the victims. Amazing recall on the part of hubby, Harwood, under such extremely tense circumstances!

Sounds like the husband is trying to implicate a gang member. I really can't see anyone in Montana getting close enough to a Hispanic hitch hiker wearing a red bandana. Everyone knows red bandanas and shaved heads mean gang or a Blood. I'm suprised he didn't say the guy was tatooed though.

Sounds like the husband is trying to implicate a gang member. I really can't see anyone in Montana getting close enough to a Hispanic hitch hiker wearing a red bandana. Everyone knows red bandanas and shaved heads mean gang or a Blood. I'm suprised he didn't say the guy was tatooed though.

The murder was in WA, just outside of Yakima or in Yakima. Quite a few of the comments posted to various articles I've read about this case did address the fact that rarely, if ever, is a hispanic seen hitchhiking in WA. (which seemed a bit strange to me).

Not everyone knows that red bandanas and shaved heads means gang or blood, or at least I didn't. I guess I need to get out more. lol

Oh no!!! I don't think the husband did it. To shoot someone and make up a false character to blame it on would just be silly. Surely he would just divorce her (or whatever since they were only common law) and let her move on with her life. I live in MS. but I'll keep my peepers pealed for the dickies wearing hispanic :rolleyes:

:End sarcastic rant

The murder was in WA, just outside of Yakima or in Yakima. Quite a few of the comments posted to various articles I've read about this case did address the fact that rarely, if ever, is a hispanic seen hitchhiking in WA. (which seemed a bit strange to me).

Not everyone knows that red bandanas and shaved heads means gang or blood, or at least I didn't. I guess I need to get out more. lol

I know I didn't even know that there were gangs in Montana. When I think of Montana, I think of wide open spaces.

Hmmmm . . . Haven't I heard this story or a slight variation of it before? :waitasec:

Yep you have! In fact it was on Dateline about 2 months ago with another couple that had the same fate. Only the husband was the one that did it, but claimed they were shot at by a carjacker! Husband survived with a MINOR injury while the wife died.

Funny how the husband never seems to be seriously injured isn't it! No one who is in the middle of a trumatic event would or could take that much notice of what the attacker looked like, etc. I'm surprised the husband didn't tell LE what kind of underwear the hitchhiker was wearing. He had everything else down to a tee. It won't be long before we hear that the husband has been arrested for lst degree murder.

Remember the couple who were on their way home from birth classes and he said he pulled over in an isolated place and they were attacked. His wife was killed and he had a couple injurys that weren't serious. He ended up jumping off a bridge and committing suicide when things got hot with LE. Stupid.

SELAH, Wash. — A former Yakima woman shot in the head on Interstate 82 early this morning died about 2:45 p.m. at Yakima Regional Medical and Cardiac Center, Yakima County sheriff’s detectives say.

Sheryl Huntley, 40, was living in Thompson Falls, Mont. She was a former Yakima resident and still has relatives here.

The woman’s common-law husband told detectives they were shot by a hitchhiker on Interstate 82 north of Selah. The man was hit in the hand.

More at link:
http://yakimaherald.com/stories/2009/07/01/montana-couple-reports-being-shot-by-hitchhiker

My hinky meter alert went off big time after reading the first story I read about this at the link below:
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/49647932.html#idc-ctools
===========
I agree, my hinky meter also went off. As I read the news report I immediately thought about the Justin Barber murder case. He said that his wife was shot in the face while they were walking on a beach in Florida and he was also shot by the murderer. He was convicted of her murder......I must admit that I'm a very skeptical and usually have to pick something apart and convince myself before I believe something. Hummmmmmmm..........

Bobbisangel: you're thinking of Charles Stuart in Boston. His accusation that a black male was responsible for the crime and the subsequent evidence that he was the shooter created mayhem. He did drown himself to avoid punishment (can't use the appropriate phrase here without being banned).

As a white person, I have to wonder if white people (Charles Stuart, Susan Smith, this Huntley guy, et al) point the finger at fictional non-white perps because they truly believe non-whites are more capable of this kind of violence or because they believe it adds another layer of distance between them and their crimes?

Not trying to create conflict or controversy. Just curious. It seems part-and-parcel of the standard story. And usually makes me think they're the perps.

They supposedly picked this man up at night? I guess when you've got to make up a perp, you've got to make him sound "scary," even if it would make no sense to allow some scary stranger in your car. It sounds to me like he's describing a pirate.
----------------
Yeah, you'er right. It looks like the husband watched "Pirates of the Carribean" before leaving home.....................:mad:

i have to say something because i knew Sheryl...she was a wonderful lady i knew her from her work when she lived in yakima (before she moved to montana)

i honestly think he did it but that's my opinion ......for starters he knew everything about the shooter......down to his scar (3 am and it was not to light out)

see my thing about all this is i happen to be headed to Seattle from Yakima that night ... i got on the freeway at 16th ave and hwy 12 a short time after 3 am and my mom and i both said to each other lets go home we can go tomorrow (Thursday)

so i kept going and took the first street exit.....and the entire time i was on first street i never saw anyone driving erratically.....
as i drove down first i passed a "jack in the box, am-pm, mel's diner etc and every one of those places were open at that time.......but he decided to drive passed all that and head to union gap...
whats funny he passed a sheriff's office 2 times before he was pulled over?

why did he not stop at one of these places?
also another fact he did stay in Yakima with Sheryl...(before they moved to Montana)
so in that time he was in Yakima you cant tell me he didn't go near a hospital?
bull crap
i guess i am a very suspicious person
because i don't understand why he could remember all the stuff about the shooter but not where he got out at?
(and the shooter didn't get the car)
he jumped out
maybe i am just paranoid
if i am wrong i am willing to be the first to admit it ..but

Yep. It's getting to be "SSDD" on a regular basis!

Snippet from article,
Details fuzzy in homicide on I-82

The sheriff's office said Harwood gave a very detailed description of the hitchhiker. He said the man was Hispanic, probably around 20, about 5 feet 6 inches and skinny. His head was shaved, with a longer bit of hair across the forehead, a scar over his left eye and a "sharp" jaw line. His nose may have been broken in the past. He was wearing a red bandanna, white T-shirt, navy blue Dickies pants and two diamond stud earrings.

Wow, hubby's description of the (alleged) perp doesn't sound too fuzzy to me!
In fact, it's probably one of the most detailed descriptions I can recall ever hearing or reading. And, if I'm not mistaken, the 'alleged' hitch hiker" was picked up at night by the victims. Amazing recall on the part of hubby, Harwood, under such extremely tense circumstances!

whats funny is the gangs DONT wear red and blue

CCC68: I am sorry about your friend. Am sure it was very upsetting to hear about this.
If you've read through this thread you will have noticed that most find the story questionable. Hopefully, LE is right on top of this one.

PRAYERS go out to her family.

it is just scary that people can get away with this kind of things in this day and age

like i said before i may be wrong but my gut says different
if he did do it i hope he gets punished to the full extent of the law
she had two boys one 14 and the other 18
i cant fathom what they are going through

it is just scary that people can get away with this kind of things in this day and age

like i said before i may be wrong but my gut says different
if he did do it i hope he gets punished to the full extent of the law
she had two boys one 14 and the other 18
i cant fathom what they are going through

Do you happen to know anything about their relationship? Was he a control freak and had he ever abused her before? I wonder if she was going to break up with him and he wasn't about to let go. There has to be a motive for murder...I think anyway. My heart goes out to her boys. They still need their mom and boys are usually closest to their mom. I hope they have an aunt or someone that loves them that they can stay with.

I think I've been reading here too long! I saw this headline and thought "yeah right, a hitchhiker. Suuuure."
I hope I'm wrong.

===========
I agree, my hinky meter also went off. As I read the news report I immediately thought about the Justin Barber murder case. He said that his wife was shot in the face while they were walking on a beach in Florida and he was also shot by the murderer. He was convicted of her murder......I must admit that I'm a very skeptical and usually have to pick something apart and convince myself before I believe something. Hummmmmmmm..........

Don't forget Jeffrey MacDonald and "the girl in the floppy hat..."

Do you happen to know anything about their relationship? Was he a control freak and had he ever abused her before? I wonder if she was going to break up with him and he wasn't about to let go. There has to be a motive for murder...I think anyway. My heart goes out to her boys. They still need their mom and boys are usually closest to their mom. I hope they have an aunt or someone that loves them that they can stay with.

i don't know all the details as of yet but one person mentioned that she may have been wanting to break up
no one really will ever know
plus the older boy has his own apartment and the 14 year old is moving in with him from what i was told
the older boy has a job and can support the younger one
i dont know if they are going to need help yet

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther