WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though the circumstances are strange I think it's possible..especially since Kovack was about 175lbs, and Lyle had recently lost possibly 30-40 pounds, making him 140 lbs.

IMO, it's not him. The jawline is wrong, and also the ethnicity isn't apparently the same. I think Lyle is definitely Native American. Brows don't match either.

FWIW, Lyle could be a younger brother of my deceased friend Luis, who was from Venezuela. Personally I think Lyle was Native still, but I'm just throwing that out there.

Originally posted by: akashana, moved here for discussion

WA - John Doe 0405

If you believe you have any information regarding this case that will be helpful in this investigation please contact:
Grays Harbor Sheriff's Department at (360) 249-3711

I think we could ID this guy
OK, I can't link, so bear with me. The first unidentified man on the WA page, John Doe 0405, has a very clear morgue photo that is not in the least macabre, and actually doesn't look very "dead" at all. I've been trying to match him up for awhile, and I did find a guy that disappeared the same day in Idaho, but the ages were pretty far off. Now I forget the guy's name and details. I'm very new to this. Would anyone like to work on this case with me?

Hi imamaze!

He is pretty famous. There is a thread for him in the crimes and trials section- search under the name Lyle Stevik. Lyle Stevik was the name he used as an alias when he committed suicide. He is another case I never forget, the other threads (there are 3 of them) have really good photos and one of the original detectives is there too. I think it would make sense for him to have a thread over here in the unidentified, since he is unfortunately, one of the many unidentifed who should have a name.

OK, here is my fist attempt at linking. This guy was reported missing in Idaho the same day Lyle died. We know Lyle was in WA for a few days, but he could have been reported missing a few days after the fact:

http://www.isp.state.id.us/mp_viewer/showMissingPerson.action?id=M751854282

He's older, too. I dunno; just throwing it out there . . .

It's Albert Jay Pitkethly. My bad.

Hi Akashana, WOW, to find that chin which is one of the telling points IMO to Lyle's face.

I don't think it is him as this is a European man I think with brown hair. But it's a good first stab at an ID!

I think he is of Native American or South American Indian descent. I follow the chin because it is an inherited feature. xox

People have commented on a now-closed thread about Lyle that the newspaper may be of some signifigance, but given that it was published only a few days after 9/11, an event that stunned the world and made eveyone turn on their TVs and read their newspapers, I tend to think it's not really that big of a deal that he bought, read and discarded the local paper.

Did the motel have TV or cable-access movies? Was it on or used? I know it was a small 8-unit motel, but with satellite dishes so common everywhere, he could have watched movies or stations that may offer a clue to his identity. Although if that were the case, I'm sure it would have been discussed already.

there are lots of discussions on him all over the web...lyle stevik is an alias from a book. i did some searching myself, but it seemed pretty fruitless as i couldn't find any matches in canada or us....i don't think anyone has reported him missing yet.

Coldcaseman:

How is the Depatie match looking? Also, can you give us a run-down of the articles found in the paper that he read?

Thank you!!

kam

The last thing I heard from the Sheriff's Dept. was they were waiting for dental info from Montana. The newspaper is in the Sheriff's evidence room. I recall that the front page carried stories about the terrorist attack. The tv wasn't on, and the motel didn't offer in room movies. I believe they only had cable.

Coldcaseman:

Thank you so much for your response! Is there anyway they could scan the paper so we could take a look? I'm sure it has been thoroughly scrutinized already, but maybe there is something in it that will shed light.

I'm not sure, as it is in evidence. The Daily World is your typical small town newspaper, about 8-10 pages of mostly local news. I went through the paper thoroughly, and it was properly folded, all of the pages were in order, nothing had been removed, and there were no marks on it. He didn't even work the crossword puzzle. If Lyle read it, he was very neat about it.

I'm not sure, as it is in evidence. The Daily World is your typical small town newspaper, about 8-10 pages of mostly local news. I went through the paper thoroughly, and it was properly folded, all of the pages were in order, nothing had been removed, and there were no marks on it. He didn't even work the crossword puzzle. If Lyle read it, he was very neat about it.

I just wanted to say Hello Coldcaseman and hope all is well with you.

What you say about Lyle being very neat about it if he read that paper has always been in the back of my mind. I think he was pretty neat and organized about everything he did. I know it really means nothing, but he did care about his personal hygiene, how he left the room, paying for the bill and I think being out of immediate sight for first responders so as to not shock them. It is just so odd considering he cared so little about living and reorganizing his life so he would be happy.

I've wanted to ask you for a long time if there has been any headway in your other unsolved case, the gal found in Monteseto {sp}?

xox

I just wanted to say Hello Coldcaseman and hope all is well with you.

What you say about Lyle being very neat about it if he read that paper has always been in the back of my mind. I think he was pretty neat and organized about everything he did. I know it really means nothing, but he did care about his personal hygiene, how he left the room, paying for the bill and I think being out of immediate sight for first responders so as to not shock them. It is just so odd considering he cared so little about living and reorganizing his life so he would be happy.

I've wanted to ask you for a long time if there has been any headway in your other unsolved case, the gal found in Monteseto {sp}?

xox
No, so far no luck in finding out who she is. Jane Doe was murdered in 1988, and I still work on that case. There is a possibility she was murdered by her husband, so no one has reported her missing.

Good info. Thank you!! Maybe he only bought it to leave behind for the date of his death. What date was on it? Is the town small enough that the possibility of him being local was ruled out?

I still think this is patrick beavers and in this pic i can see eyebrows look the same and could see after a little time and weight loss these guys could look very close on and height is the same about too. Says he loves to read which would explain the odd name use and being from idaho i could see the canadian accent too and the guy loved to hike and walk, walked up to this hotel - weight loss in missing time frame. If his site was going and he loved to read it could be a reason he took his own life as well as other issues he may have had. This pic of him is quite different than the others you see on the missing posters, hes even got what looks like a mole in the same spot.

http://www.seminolesheriff.org/en-u...s/reports/beavers_patrick.php?sf_ses=glnlogog

Would it be possible to compare Beavers' 'goodbye' note to Lyle's?? Handwriting could be a key here.... Also, are there any sorta computer programs to make a picture of Patrick (or anyone who could be Lyle) with the weight loss?

Everything about Depatie screams Lyle Stevik to me except his age. He was a student at the University of Montana, so he was exposed to literature at some point and could have gotten his pseudomym from the book; he walked away with just the clothes on his back and Lyle was found without a suitcase. A possible backpack was mentioned but never located. And the faces look so similar. I really hope this is the guy for his family's sake.

Its him. I've been looking for Jonathan for a while and just came across Lyle tonight. I know its him, right down to the mole on his chin. There are pics of Jon on vacation(?) in WA so he might have been familiar with the area. I hope it is him, that MySpace breaks my heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zerofoxgiven