Warning!! Will Cause Intense Anger; Restaurant refuses Iraq War Vet. and service dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! I would be horribly offended if someone, that had no clue about my experiences, had the audacity to tell me that I didn't have PTSD, didn't have the right to treatment, and that I was abusing the system by getting treatment that helped me overcome my illness and try my best to live a normal, happy, healthy, productive life.

If someone wants to complain about my run on sentence they can, but don't criticize me for what you don't understand or can't see.

So You've never served, but you have enough training to decide who and who shouldn't have service dogs and where they should go. Yes, people abuse the system. For some reason you feel qualified to make diagnoses based on very little information.

You also seem to believe you have the right to judge people based on how they spend their money. He can do anything with his money he wants. Anyone who's served 21 years in the army can spend their money on anything they want. Actually anyone can. What do you spend your money on? I wanna tell you what you shouldn't be doing with it. JMO

You're first post is odd given your attitude about service animals for veterans. JMO

One more question, what is the full back story on the woman who claimed ferrets as service animals?"

I've never served and neither has the ferret lady. She claimed ptsd and got to live in federally funded housing WITH the ferrets, at the public's expense, until someone called her on it -- and it wasn't me. I didn't personally decide whether or not she was entitled to her "service ferrets." There were medical professionals who did that. I just agreed with their conclusion that she was a system-abuser using a conveniently easy to obtain diagnosis for all sorts of public benefits. Really, it happens every day. Thousands of times a day. If it doesn't apply to you and you feel like you're a vet with PTSD and entitled to benefits for that reason, don't take my posts personally about the many people who are not entitled to the benefits but work the system (to the detriment of the legitimate claims).

eta: here's a summary of the service "whatever animal I can think of" problem.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/animal_house_Z6L9WjFj2AUuuMo6o1dFXP

Wow! I would be horribly offended if someone, that had no clue about my experiences, had the audacity to tell me that I didn't have PTSD, didn't have the right to treatment, and that I was abusing the system by getting treatment that helped me overcome my illness and try my best to live a normal, happy, healthy, productive life.

If someone wants to complain about my run on sentence they can, but don't criticize me for what you don't understand or can't see.

This is just playing off you post and not meant to be a criticism of you.

There are many things that can cause PTSD other than war. Gang rape, surviving a murder attempt, being abused by a family member, surviving a shipwreck or plane wreck, having children die. Many different things can cause PTSD. IMO, unless you have a psychological PHD and have interviewed the person extensively, you can't say if it's a legitimate need or not. JMO

If you think it's a sham, then go up and ask the person what caused their PTSD. Be prepared to say I'm sorry a lot. JMO

I've never served and neither has the ferret lady. She claimed ptsd and got to live in federally funded housing WITH the ferrets, at the public's expense, until someone called her on it -- and it wasn't me. I didn't personally decide whether or not she was entitled to her "service ferrets." There were medical professionals who did that. I just agreed with their conclusion that she was a system-abuser using a conveniently easy to obtain diagnosis for all sorts of public benefits. Really, it happens every day. Thousands of times a day. If it doesn't apply to you and you feel like you're a vet with PTSD and entitled to benefits for that reason, don't take my posts personally about the many people who are not entitled to the benefits but work the system (to the detriment of the legitimate claims).

BBM

How do you know what happened to the ferret lady to cause her PTSD? What medical professional told you she was working the system?

Where did you get the thousands of times a day statistic?

Since the subject of the OP IS a man who IS a vet with PTSD... ah, never mind.

Not all disabilities are visible. Some are visible, but not obvious. Some are obvious, but there'll always be that one a-hole who likes to opine their ignorance out loud about it.

I've been yelled at on the bus for asking the driver to wait a moment, as it takes me extra time to get up the step. "you're not disabled! Where's your crutches? Where's your wheelchair?!"

Yup, a-holes. They're everywhere.

Just out of curiosity, what school did you get your psychological PHD from?

Huh? I just got done saying that the ultimate decision about whether someone had ptsd was not mine. Besides that, the point is that the dx is not the issue. The utility of the service animal and the circumstances in which it should be utilized at the expense of the general public is. I'll tell you where I got my post doc from when you tell me where you got yours. I'll even shake on it. :)

People have the mistaken perception that all disabilities are visible to the eye.

BBM

How do you know what happened to the ferret lady to cause her PTSD? What medical professional told you she was working the system?

Thanks! You said it much better than I could.:drumroll:

JMO, I've worked with persons with PTSD for all kinds of reasons. retired mental health worker. Sometimes I think I have PTSD from working with them and knowing all the horrible things they all endured. Most of them got no benefits of any kind other than medical treatment.

BBM

No one ever said the ferret lady had ptsd. She actually had a physical disability, but claimed her ferrets as "service animals" that needed to be acommodated in public housing due to her disabilities. It was obvious that she was working the system because she pretty much devoted her life to it 24/7, but all of the doctors except the one she got her "service ferret" note from agreed that there was nothing "servicey" about the ferrets. Bullchit claims for federal funds are filed thousand of times a day is just common sense when millions of obviously able-bodied people are on one form of gov't program or another. jmo

Just my ignorance but I thought public housing had to do with income. JMO

JMO, I've worked with persons with PTSD for all kinds of reasons. retired mental health worker. Sometimes I think I have PTSD from working with them and knowing all the horrible things they all endured. Most of them got no benefits of any kind other than medical treatment.

I don't claim for the PTSD/anxiety, it's more trouble than it's worth to me as far as stress goes having to talk about it... I have disability for physical issues.. but sometimes the mental ones are worse, when it comes to not being able to get around.

It's also really really hard to deal with, if you've lived your life prior to the disability as a hardcore active person, busy-busy, always working... or an able, active serviceman doing his duty, I'd imagine.

It's horrible to lose that portion of yourself, that you used to be. I'm glad I have my cats and my wonderful dd and friends and internet friends to help me through. I would never begrudge a serviceman the company of his canine pal.

Anyway. Poor man. I am glad he got an apology.

I'm going to bed. So if I'm not around to take the heat for my unpopular position, you'll know why. Nite peeps!

Huh? I just got done saying that the ultimate decision about whether someone had ptsd was not mine. Besides that, the point is that the dx is not the issue. The utility of the service animal and the circumstances in which it should be utilized at the expense of the general public is. I'll tell you where I got my post doc from when you tell me where you got yours. I'll even shake on it. :)

I don't have a post doctorate in psychology. All I have is empathy. I don't believe in throwing the baby out with the bathwater. I was more than willing to pay taxes to help these people. There was a time I said I'd rather commit suicide than go on public assistance.

Then I realized that SSDI is not public assistance. It's an insurance policy. Social Security Disability Insurance. I paid into that system for 31 years. If I pay for a life insurance policy or auto collision coverage I'll use it because that what it's there for, and :censored: anyone who thinks I'm abusing the system. When I switched doctors a couple of years ago, my doctor told me it was customary to copy the patients file and send it over. Since this costs the doctor money he'll charge you to do that per page. He showed me a folder about the thickness of a brick lying vertically. He then told me he had five more just as thick. So he said he was just going to write a letter to my new doctor outlining my maladies.

Looking at me you wouldn't have any idea what my internal problems are. Some people just look at me and decide based on nothing. I think that's what you're doing to a lot of people.JMO

I don't claim for the PTSD/anxiety, it's more trouble than it's worth to me as far as stress goes having to talk about it... I have disability for physical issues.. but sometimes the mental ones are worse, when it comes to not being able to get around.

It's also really really hard to deal with, if you've lived your life prior to the disability as a hardcore active person, busy-busy, always working... or an able, active serviceman doing his duty, I'd imagine.

It's horrible to lose that portion of yourself, that you used to be. I'm glad I have my cats and my wonderful dd and friends and internet friends to help me through. I would never begrudge a serviceman the company of his his canine pal.

Anyway. Poor man. I am glad he got an apology.
Thank you

I had a very productive and active life and worked in the mental health field for may years prior to an accident and find it extremely difficult to deal with what I have become...mostly wheel chair bound. That vet deserves all the support he can get as do others with PTSD.

I don't have a post doctorate in psychology. All I have is empathy. I don't believe in throwing the baby out with the bathwater. I was more than willing to pay taxes to help these people. There was a time I said I'd rather commit suicide than go on public assistance.

Then I realized that SSDI is not public assistance. It's an insurance policy. Social Security Disability Insurance. I paid into that system for 31 years. If I pay for a life insurance policy or auto collision coverage I'll use it because that what it's there for, and :censored: anyone who thinks I'm abusing the system. When I switched doctors a couple of years ago, my doctor told me it was customary to copy the patients file and send it over. Since this costs the doctor money he'll charge you to do that per page. He showed me a folder about the thickness of a brick lying vertically. He then told me he had five more just as thick. So he said he was just going to write a letter to my new doctor outlining my maladies.

Looking at me you wouldn't have any idea what my internal problems are. Some people just look at me and decide based on nothing. I think that's what you're doing to a lot of people.JMO

Right you are!

No one ever said the ferret lady had ptsd. She actually had a physical disability, but claimed her ferrets as "service animals" that needed to be acommodated in public housing due to her disabilities. It was obvious that she was working the system because she pretty much devoted her life to it 24/7, but all of the doctors except the one she got her "service ferret" note from agreed that there was nothing "servicey" about the ferrets. Bullchit claims for federal funds are filed thousand of times a day is just common sense when millions of obviously able-bodied people are on one form of gov't program or another. jmo

No, it's not common sense. I don't believe it and a lot of others don't too. I'd prefer to see some hard statistics on it.

A lot of people think that the majority of welfare recipients abuse drugs, but they're wrong.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts...testing-welfare-recipients-data-shows/1225721

Florida didn't save money by drug testing welfare recipients, data shows
Brittany Alana DavisBrittany Alana Davis, Times Staff Writer

TALLAHASSEE — Required drug tests for people seeking welfare benefits ended up costing taxpayers more than it saved and failed to curb the number of prospective applicants, data used against the state in an ongoing legal battle shows.

The findings — that only 108 of the 4,086 people who took a drug test failed — are additional ammunition for the American Civil Liberties Union of Florida, which sued the state and won a temporary ban on the drug-testing program in October, said ACLU spokesman Derek Newton.

Attorneys for the state immediately appealed the ban, and will face off against the ACLU again at the 11th Circuit Court in Atlanta and the U.S. District Court in Orlando in coming months...

So O.O26% of welfare recipients in Florida abuse drugs while collecting welfare. With minimum wage being so low people need assistance. If you don't want so many people to apply for social assistance, then lobby for a much higher minimum wage. Tell the companies to make the offset by lowering CEO salaries. They're the ones stealing from you, not the people collecting it. JMO

I'm headin to my beddin now too. :eek:fftobed: :countsheep: :lamb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member