Was Jose Baez retained by Casey on June 17, 2008?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm! My first inclination upon reading this thread was that JB had simply mispoke on the date. But, after watching the above clip, it makes me wonder. :waitasec: He doesn't seem confused, or anything. I don't know.

Add my name to the "July 17th" column. I think he is just an idio...I mean, I think he just misspoke.

I don't think even JB (being the less-than-effective lawyer that he is) would condone Casey's partying and shenanigans going on if he had been retained on June 17th.

Although, as with everything else in this case, everytime I say, "Oh, *surely* that's not true," I end up eating my words!!

I just don't know what to think now that I've seen JB again on the video above.

Maybe is was a Freudian Slip!

I don't think it is even a remote possibility that he was retained June 17. I think it is a mistatement and nothing more. JMHO of course.

I've even had the judge in my case address my attorney by my last name. LOL. Mispeaks happen all the time in court rooms. I remember it being reported that another inmate gave CA Baez's name when she was first arrested.

My guess is the record will be corrected if anyone deems it important enough to bring to the judges attention. I doubt the prosecutors will even bother.

My take FWIW.....feel free to broom it out the door or stick it under the mat for further consideration.

Mr. Baez hesitated a little bit before he disclosed the $70k from Todd M. He was sheepish when he admitted it and started by saying a member of the defense team but was prompted to give the name.

He stated the case started in June.......which according to all docs it did. The date used on all the docs for the charges are based upon the last date Caylee was known to be alive. A quick check of the docket shows as much.

As much as JB likes to add frivolous verbiage to a sentence and to explain, clarify, "if I may", etc......he put his head DOWN and stated
"I was retained June 17th". He was not looking up as he had throughout the other questions.....he looked at his shoes.

WHY???? Perhaps because it was a case of him deciding whether to tell the truth and take heat...OR.....becasue he had to decide NOT to perjure himself by going along with the July date.

Is this an error??? I'm not convinced based on his body language and voice inflection during the period. I think KC retained him for something......and maybe unrelated. Maybe she anticipated some trouble associated with another activity and retained him. You don't have to be facing charged to retain counsel.

IF she retained him in June, it may be for another matter that never came to light OR it may be for the reason we fear most. Time will tell here.

OOOhh Sleuther - could it be that KC went to him to retain him to fight CA and GA in a custody battle? That would mean JB had knowledge of the 'situation" in that house.
Doesn't JB advertise "family law" in his practice?

hhhmmm......

OMG! I'm thinking he did have a "slip of the tongue." But not because he was retained that day...but because THAT'S THE DAY THAT KC TOLD HIM SHE KILLED CAYLEE! JMHO of course!

My take FWIW.....feel free to broom it out the door or stick it under the mat for further consideration.

Mr. Baez hesitated a little bit before he disclosed the $70k from Todd M. He was sheepish when he admitted it and started by saying a member of the defense team but was prompted to give the name.

He stated the case started in June.......which according to all docs it did. The date used on all the docs for the charges are based upon the last date Caylee was known to be alive. A quick check of the docket shows as much.

As much as JB likes to add frivolous verbiage to a sentence and to explain, clarify, "if I may", etc......he put his head DOWN and stated
"I was retained June 17th". He was not looking up as he had throughout the other questions.....he looked at his shoes.

WHY???? Perhaps because it was a case of him deciding whether to tell the truth and take heat...OR.....becasue he had to decide NOT to perjure himself by going along with the July date.

Is this an error??? I'm not convinced based on his body language and voice inflection during the period. I think KC retained him for something......and maybe unrelated. Maybe she anticipated some trouble associated with another activity and retained him. You don't have to be facing charged to retain counsel.

IF she retained him in June, it may be for another matter that never came to light OR it may be for the reason we fear most. Time will tell here.

ITA with you! What if Casey went for a consultation with Baez to find out what could happen when LE found out Caylee was deceased? IMO, I still think Caylee died then was buried in the sand box because Casey was in panic mode and didn't know what to do. What if Casey threaten to expose George's affair if he didn't help her cover this up? I can't exactly put my finger on what I am actually thinking but I feel like Caylee died 6/15 or 6/16 and Casey hired Baez back on 6/17/09 just as he stated. IMO and just a theory.

I think he meant July 2nd, right around, oh ... let's say ... 12:30 PM ??

I just went to the sticky's and I can't find the ping map for July 2, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Sleuther, I always enjoy your posts. :)

My thinking is that he did not want to perjure himself. He may be coming to the conclusion that a potential storm is coming his way if he is investigated for his financial dealings, especially with the disclosure that TM donated money to the case - we have not heard the last about this and I suspect it is going to get much much dirtier.

He very well may be mitigating the amount of trouble he is in by telling the truth under oath.

I just went to the sticky's and I can't find the ping map for July 2, any help would be appreciated.

It's in the main forum for the moment - I'll find it and bump it for you.

Still on page 1, here's the link

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73600"]Ping Map and Movements for July 2, 2008 - Discuss that day only - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

:waitasec:

I just went back and read the ping map for June 17 thread. That was the day where there were some missing hours; there was no activity on her phone and it was speculated that she'd gone house-hunting . . . . but did she?

Was that the same day she backed her car into the garage and borrowed the shovel?

Near the bottom...Thursday, December 4th, 2008.

6:17 PM ET - We finally hear the story about how Casey Anthony found her attorney Jose Baez. During a jailhouse visit with her brother Lee, Casey Anthony says while she was in booking at the jail, a few other inmates asked her if she had a lawyer. When she said no, they suggested Jose Baez and said he was a good attorney. The next day Baez showed up at the jail and the rest is history, according to Casey.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/09/08/NGfindcayleeblog/

I'm of the belief he got confused. However, IF that is the case, one would think someone from his "team" or Baez himself would be getting word out ASAP that it was an incorrect statement. I'm sure he'd want to put the speculation over a mis-statement to an end ASAP.

If he doesn't, well... hmmmmmm. :waitasec:

(That's all assuming he's a lawyer up to speed on things, LOL!)

Maybe my mind is foggy because it's Friday, but I could have sworn he and others have made this Jun/Jul 17th slip before...

Maybe my mind is foggy because it's Friday, but I could have sworn he and others have made this Jun/Jul 17th slip before...

They have; I believe GA and CA have both done this.

Unless I've fallen down the rabbitt hole . . . .

LE has gone over CA's phone records with a fine-toothed comb. If she had used her cell to contact JB's office on JUNE 17th, they would know. If she called JB from Jail, the day of her booking, it would be a matter of record as well. Not the content of the conversation, but the listed number.

I'm really not buying into any conspiracy regarding this topic, for now.

This is why the grandparents always refer to that time as "day one". I get so infuriated when they say that, but it definitely covers their a$$e$. I can understand JB making the june/july slip up, but I do agree that such an important date should flow naturally, kind of like when someone asks you your birthday.

It's shameful that so many strangers, like all of us here, can quote those dates off at any given time, and yet those so close can't remember, was that the 9th or the 15th?? was that June or July?? Did someone find her Nov or Dec??

moo

Maybe his number was on the lost phone and maybe it was lost because she was advised to lose it.

Maybe his number was on the lost phone and maybe it was lost because she was advised to lose it.

I don't remember much about the lost phone (when, where, why,etc...), but if LE knows the phone # to the lost phone, the records would still be accessible to them.

ETA: And with the way CA like to yak and text, I'm sure at the very least, one of her boy toys would have the number logged into their phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500