What do you remember?

Well I just want to say that I cannot remember anything until I was much older, maybe seven. Altho I wasn't abused per se I was in an abusive environment. My father was an alcoholic and my mother was ill my entire life. My father and mother fought constantly and he was abusive to her at times when he was drunk. I also remember my mother telling me, "what happens or is said in our home stays there." Maybe I blocked it all out and have just simply forgotten because I wanted to. I can see where Anna might not remember her life with her real family because there are so many things that go into shaping a child's mind.

Rhett said:
Well I just want to say that I cannot remember anything until I was much older, maybe seven. Altho I wasn't abused per se I was in an abusive environment. My father was an alcoholic and my mother was ill my entire life. My father and mother fought constantly and he was abusive to her at times when he was drunk. I also remember my mother telling me, "what happens or is said in our home stays there." Maybe I blocked it all out and have just simply forgotten because I wanted to. I can see where Anna might not remember her life with her real family because there are so many things that go into shaping a child's mind.
This story makes me really sad. The good part is that you turned out OK anyway.

What do I remember from age of 5
I remember our house very well, the big window seat that looked over our side yard. I rememeber catching rainwater in buckets with my grandma so we could wash our hair with it.
I remember when my younger brother came home from the hospital, I was 3 and a half, and I just could not figure out why my parents thought he was a good idea! I remember riding my tricycle around and around the back yard, the swing set in the back yard, my older brothers playing with their friend. I remember my Woody Woodpecker coloring book, and how much I loved it! I also remember my first day of kindergarten, walking down to the school with my mom and being greeted by Ginger, a boxer dog that lived a few doors down.
I remember my dad and a neighbor installing a gate in the fence between our homes so we wouldn't have to walk around the block to get there.
It really is amazing how much I remember. I also remember certain classmates and neighbor children. I remember the local market "Little Red Rooster" and walking over there with my mom in the summer to get ice cream. I remember our record player and mom listening to Judy Garland at Carnegie Hall and singing along. I also remember Hank Williams albums and listening to them. I used to sit in fron of the TeeVee (it was off) waiting for Jack Benny....

Sheesh.....

Two of my earliest memories:

Being at the beach with my mom and my aunt. I was sitting at the edge of the water trying to fill a plastic cup, when I started to get sucked in. I thought I was going to drown. I couldn't remember how old I was at the time, and when I mentioned it to my mom she was surprised that I remember it because she thinks she was pregnant with my sister at the time. If it happened while she was, then I was only 2 years old when it happened.

This one is a little fuzzy. I remember being in my grandma's living room, and someone coming in the front door with a baby. I'm almost positive it was my mom coming home from the hospital with my sister. I was at least 2 and a half at the time. My sis was a preemie and was back in the hospital again shortly after being born, so it could be a second home coming.

As far as momories from when I was about 5 years old...

I remember "Princess Zero". We had a strip along the wall of the classroom that counted the number of school days. On every day that ended in zero, she would bring in something that was shaped like a zero, like Oreos, and hand them out to everyone. On the 100th day everyone got two of whatever she happened to bring, and that was the last day she came.

I remember all of my classmates made leprechaun traps, and we set them up around the room. The teacher held up a paperbag and said she caught one. She showed us the empty bag, and said it got away. After we set the traps, she put in a Smokey the Bear movie and turned off the lights. I remember seeing my trap down while the movie was still playing and telling my teacher. She said I had to wait until the movie was over. After the movie everyone checked to see if they had caught the leprechaun. Of course no one did, but everyone got a few of those chocolate gold coins.

I remember story bags. They were blue drawstring bags with a book and either a puppet, a tape, or something else that was related to the story.

I remember my teacher handing out a paper towel to each student and a worksheet. She poured lucky charms on everyone's paper towel. We had to sort the different shapes, and write down how many there were of each shape. After we sorted them, we got to eat them.

I remember walking with my mom down the hallway of the building my sister's preschool class was in. I can remember looking at one of the art projects she did. It was a bunny painting with cotton balls for the tail.

I remember easter egg hunting with my sister at someone's house. I think it was a family friend's house or maybe a distant relative's. We were hunting for real eggs, not the plastic ones my mom and grandma always used.

I remember meeting the girl that turned out to be my best friend until the end of 7th grade. We were in the hallway by the school office. I'm not sure what was going on at the time, but I remember other kids being there. I think we were all sitting on a bench. For the longest time I thought this happened in first grade, but I found a photo from kindergarten (i think it was "field day") that she was in. It's entirely possible that we were in different classes and didn't actually meet until first grade.

I remember sitting in a circle with the rest of my class mates and watching this really cool thing that, I think Josh's mom, was doing. She was making rainbow swirls in a bowl of milk with food coloring.

This one might be a bit later than 5, but I remember a Fourth of July when one of us kids (Jim's daughter Laura, I think) set the plastic table cloth on fire with a sparkler.

Wow...I remember a lot more than I thought I would. lol

Cubby said:
I'm not sure I can relate this to age, but will do my best for "5". I've read by age 10 most childhood memories earlier than 3 disappear.

I learned that in cognitive psych last year - in fact, im pretty sure i still have the paper i did on it around here somewhere...i'll get it out and see if i can find anything else about young memories in it.

I know that my memory starts around 3 - random little things, like jumping on the bed with my cousin, dancing around the kitchen with my mom, hiding under the table when strangers came over, random little things.

But there are 2 ages I have very few memories from - when I was 5, and when I was 9. During both of these ages, there was a great deal of trauma going on at home. When I was 5 my parents went through what is possibly the most bitter divorce in history, complete with violence. And when I was 9, right before my mom and stepdad divorced, there was some horrible violence at home. One night my mom woke me up, put me, my sister and our baby brother in a locked closet and told us not to come out until she came for us, and if she didn't come by the time the sun was up to use the phone in the bathroom to call our neighbor.
The funny thing about the second memory is it is something i just remembered a few months ago. I dreamed it one night, and it bothered me so much I told my mother about it, thinking it was just a nightmare. She told me that it had actually happened. Several times, in fact.

My point with that is that maybe Anna has remembered things from her past, but asked the people she credits with raising her about them and they told her that it wasn't true. And she has discarded them.

I have a few vivid ones some vauge. I can recall moving into our new home. I remember my kindergarten teacher vividly and how kind she was and how we took a field trip to the park and pet baby ducks. We had a pet duck in the classroom as well. At the time she seemed like she was ancient and as old as dirt, but I found out recently that she is now in her late 60's meaning she was only in her 40's back them (it was in 1985-86)She used to tell us about her cat and her brother that she cared for in his home as well,but that she missed the convent, she was also a nun. As far as faimily memories go, i remember spending the day with my mom and having so much fun with her without my sister and dad in the way until I was ready for kindergarten and since I went in the afternoon, we would sometimes have a secret lunch before taking me to school. I remember her getting a new car, her very own and she no longer had to take my dad to work. I remember the Challenger explosion very well and can remember my bout with chicken pox very well. I recall hiding behind my mom around strangers and remember visiting my dad at work. i remember the first day of school and my yellow mickey mouse backpack.
I have memories before that age though, like my sisters 6th birtday party at mcdonalds (I would have been 3) and my sister throwing up ice cream in our parnets volkswagon rabbit when I was 3.

2sisters said:
I have a few vivid ones some vauge. I can recall moving into our new home. I remember my kindergarten teacher vividly and how kind she was and how we took a field trip to the park and pet baby ducks. We had a pet duck in the classroom as well. At the time she seemed like she was ancient and as old as dirt, but I found out recently that she is now in her late 60's meaning she was only in her 40's back them (it was in 1985-86)She used to tell us about her cat and her brother that she cared for in his home as well,but that she missed the convent, she was also a nun. As far as faimily memories go, i remember spending the day with my mom and having so much fun with her without my sister and dad in the way until I was ready for kindergarten and since I went in the afternoon, we would sometimes have a secret lunch before taking me to school. I remember her getting a new car, her very own and she no longer had to take my dad to work. I remember the Challenger explosion very well and can remember my bout with chicken pox very well. I recall hiding behind my mom around strangers and remember visiting my dad at work. i remember the first day of school and my yellow mickey mouse backpack.
I have memories before that age though, like my sisters 6th birtday party at mcdonalds (I would have been 3) and my sister throwing up ice cream in our parnets volkswagon rabbit when I was 3.

omg my parents had a rabbit as well i remember that thing they ended up giving it to my aunt and uncle i remember when the car was parked i got to sit in someones lap and pretend i was driving the car. i also remember when i was 3 and was in preschool we had a sand box and trampoline and i fell and one of my teeth ended up growing in crooked beacuse of the fall

i remember alot from when i was five. my mother took my brother's and i from our father and ran away. i still remember the day we left very vividly. she left a note in the window of our house for our father telling him we were leaving. i know this because she was on the phone with my grandparents arranging our arrival. she told me it was a 'birthday card' for my dad. i knew it wasn't true. i remember the trip to our grandparents. the hills we drove through. it's very vivid. to this day my mother tries to tell us that our father left us. but i know exactly what happened. because it was a traumatic experience.

My cousin's daughter was about 4 when they came out for a visit - probably the only time I've seen her in person. We went to a local kiddie amusement park, and I was about 12 so I took her on a lot of the rides. The helicopter ride got stuck while we were in it, and we had to wait for them to fix it before we could get off of it. She was only 4 at the time. Years later, she says she still remembers this.

I have been exchanging emails with someone who was abducted as a child and is trying to find her family. She is not Anna - but I was really glad to hear from her. She was abducted at age 3 and although she cannot remember her last name or what city and state she lived in, she does have memories of her parents and the house they lived in. She wanted me to pass along encouragement for Anna's family - that there are people out there who do remember they were abducted, and are searching for their real families. What makes it more difficult for this woman is not remembering names/locations and also fear of retaliation from her abductor - but she is still looking.

I remember so many things from my youth. I remember surprising my grandmother one day by telling her all about a house and property she lived in that she moved out of when I was 2. Down to how many steps to her outhouse!

Unfortunately for me, I remember EVERYTHING from my youth...some things I REALLY wish I could forget. From 8-13 were not good years.

I do remember the very first day I met Annasbro...(that makes me smile). And some very fun late night poker games at Dr. Doogies house in high school. I remember the very first time I heard Dr. Dimento on his car radio as well.

D

This is a much more recent memory - I just woke up from a nap and had a very vivid dream!

Other people's dreams are boring, so if you are easily bored stop here. It went down like this:

I had a new job in a pizza parlor type place. When I went to introduce myself to one of the employees she said, "My name is Anna. Like Anna Waters." I said, "Whoa, like the missing Anna Waters?" and she responded in the affirmative. (only she was pronouncing it as Ann-uh instead of Aun-uh and it bothered me in the dream)

I told her about the searchingforanna.com website and wrote it down for her on a scrap of paper. Later I saw in a tv guide or magazine that Anna's story would be featured in a new television show about missing children and passed it along to the woman.

Then some really weird stuff started to happen like I had big holes in my pants and a man with a gun appeared in the alley. Blah, blah, blah more other people's boring dream stuff here.

I just thought it odd that I dreamed so vividly about Anna today. :confused:

annemc2, this dream is pretty interesting. Next time put a pic of Anna under your pillow and let us know how your dream goes. This is what Brian talks about pillow dreams. I did it last fall and curious if you may have similar results. My results came with a name (which was not Anna), a place (a type of building, not a town) , and a business occupation.

Annasmom,

I am only slightly older than your daughter is and I grew up in the same geographic area to Half Moon Bay. I remember going there every year to get pumpkins for Halloween.

As for memories, I can remember things literally that happened when I was a toddler. I remember the day my brother was born and also other things that I'm told happened when I was 2 years old and YOUNGER.

I remember a lot about my life from about 4 years old and on, especially once I began attending school.

I think that memories vary from person to person though, because my spouse has very few memories of childhood prior to about 7 or 8 years old.

I spoke to my Mother not long ago about your case and she remembers hearing about it when it happened. She told me she never thought it was a drowning in the creek and always felt someone took your daughter. The Bay Area was an odd place in the late 60's and 70's. There were a lot of strange and unsettling things happening as a result. It's hard to explain unless you were there, but I'm sure you understand.

I thought I would post this message about a girl from India who had memories from the age of 3 or 4 years old. I found her story pretty interesting.

I am searching for any family members. The earliest memories that I have is around the age of 3 or 4 years old and of a woman taking me from my home and running with me at night. I knew that she was not my mother. She was very dark skinned with greying hair and prominent teeth. The woman travelled with me a long way so I do not know which part of India that I am actually from. We went through desert as well as lush rice fields. as we were travelling she told me that my older brother had been killed by a group of men as well that my uncle had hung himself. I do not know if this was the truth or if she was trying to confuse me. I do remember having an older brother though. I also know that I am Hindu by birth. She finally arrived at her destination with me and took me into a very nice office where there were five or six men with beards and mustaches. They were all wearing white clothing and were well dressed. They all sat on chairs and spoke to the woman. Every once in awhile they would smile at me to make me feel comfortable. Something went wrong in there discussion and the woman took off with me. We had just finished crossing a bridge when a messenger boy ran after us and told the woman that she had to bring me back to the men. The woman refused and we continued on our way. That evening we stopped at a womans house that she knew to spend the night. we had fish for supper and as it was starting to get dusk the two women built a fire and sat away to talk. I was close to the fire and all of a sudden I sensed something dreadful and then I do not remember anything it is like a black spot in my mind. The next thing I remember it is morning and I am in a totally different place on a dirt road and the house we were at is no where in site. The woman was lying murdered on the road. She had been murdered by five or six men. This was in 1971 or 1972. I was then put into the care of a woman named Mariam Isodora who worked for one of Mother Teresas nurseries. Mariam took me to a convent in south india in the city of Nyatinkara. I stayed at the convent two days and then I was driven by one of the nuns to a womans house. I stayed at this womans house for about a week until a woman noticed me and started asking questions. I was moved right away from there to another house a distance away.There was an old man and a little girl that lived there. I was there a few weeks when a person selling fish noticed me and started asking questions. I was moved right away back to the first house and mariam came and picked me up there right away. Mariam then took me to a place farther away by car. The place that I was taken to had two houses where a family lived and it had walls all the way around it. I was looked after by a young couple and there parents and I never saw anyone else. I lived there for a year at least and then Mariam came and picked me up and took me to Trivandrum to a place called Holy angels convent in 1974. I lived at Holy Angels convent until april 1978 and then I went to Canada to a family that adopted me. I have three prominent identical identification marks that have been put on me probably when I was born. One mark is on the middle of my forehead and the other marks are on the calves of my legs. I desperatly want to find my family and I have tried many ways. Before sister mary died she wrote me a letter and told me that everything that I remembered was correct but to foget my past but I cannot do that. I hope that there is still some family left alive. The birthdate the nuns gave me is may 18, 1969 but mariam told me that I was older than the age the nuns gave me. I hope that by Gods help I will find my family. They used to call me Latha at the convent but I do not know my real name.

Sherlockjr, that is a really sad story. It's amazing how much she remembers, but all of it is of her abduction. She doesn't say anything about life before the abduction. I wonder if she remembers what her house looked like, or her family. A pet, a dress? Weird. Hopefully she'll find her family.

I was talking with my mom tonight, and her earliest memory was from the age of two. It's a vague memory of visiting her great-great grandma just before she died.

It's been some time since anyone posted here.... sable mentioned her mothers earliest memory.

I think we recall family members or friends who we recall fondly. I remember not only my great grandmother, who my younger sisters ( 68 and 70, I am a 66 baby) have no memory of..... I also remember my grandfathers second wife, Lottie (an odd older name) , who he was married to less than a year between 69 and 70. I would have been 3 at the time. My grandfather remarried, I forget the year, but it was the early 70's 71,72- and may have been 70 or 74. I really can't recall. I vaguelly recall the car they pulled up in the drive, and I recall my younger sister, 6 months younger than Anna, and I tentatively approaching her probably arm in arm or hand in hand after deciding we weren't going to like her and already had a grandma, my mothers mom. Of course we warmed up to her pretty quickly, but never did call her grandma, we called her by her first name. She and my grandfather remained married the rest of his years....

My father, when I asked, didn't recall much of Lottie.... and perhaps as an adult his memories for someone part of our lives such a short time escaped him. It did stick with me as a child.

I'm certain Anna would have some old, but possibly vague memories of those who made her feel very special or comfortable as a young child.

I'm praying for an Easter miracle. This is the year for reuniting and answers. .... Never far from my thoughts or prayers.

I found this on one of my various searches. Thought I would share. This is a memory of a male adoptee who was 4 at the time he was adopted.

I have vague memories of my mother. Living in a mobile home in a very small trailer park (3 or 4 trailers). I also remember getting in trouble by my mothers boyfriend at the time for riding my big-wheels in our driveway and as my punishment having to stand in the corner in my bedroom to sleep for the night. I also remember something about a uniform, police or security. Not sure if it was my mothers or her boyfriends at the time. I was born with medium brown hair, sort of curly, at the time, with hazel eyes. I do know that the adoption took place thru the court house and an attorney. I can't remember the attorneys name but do know that he is deceased. This was, in my opinion, an irregular adoption. The attorney was supposed to be a friend to the family. I lived with my grandparents off and on until I was adopted. I also rememeber playing with matches in their home and setting my toy box on fire.

It made me wonder what kind of unusual memories Anna may have. Especially any time she may have gotten in trouble. I think we all have memories of some sort of getting in trouble when we were young. One in particular for me at age 5 was walking half way around the block to an older boys house. For some reason the two of us thought we would go "swimming" in a wooden crate filled with water with just enough room for the two of us to stand in the crate facing each other. In our clothing of course. I hadn't asked for permission to leave the yard, or told anyone and I clearly recall my father finding me, holding my arm up and spanking me while walking me home. I don't think I left the yard without permission again, lol. I can recall a few other times getting caught playing with matches too, and picking up my dads cigarette butts and hiding with them taking puffs.

I'm hoping if we talk more about some of Anna's possible memories, and they are found via search strings, perhaps Anna or someone who knows her may find us here.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back