What happened to Rebecca Zahau?

What do you think happened to Rebecca Zahau?

• It was a suicide.

Votes: 31 13.1%
  • It was not a suicide.

Votes: 50 21.2%
  • It was a hired hit.

Votes: 22 9.3%
  • It was a murder committed by someone angry about Max's accident.

Votes: 106 44.9%
  • I am unsure of what really happened (on the fence).

Votes: 27 11.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
the problem is that the investigation does not appear thorough at all. what makes you say it was thorough ?? look at all the sub-threads that has spawned from the mother of all rebecca threads...., the only motivation i get from posting here is to find the truth, I get bothered when not every aspect is investigated. if it turns out its suicide then fine, if its a murder fine too, but in either case, the evidence has to be convincing that can stand the rigors of cross-examination.

I believe the investigation was thorough and complete. There are only opinions that every aspect was not investigated but no proof to support those opinions. LE has no reason to lie about it or cover it up. I get bothered when LE is bashed and accused of corruption when there is no evidence to support it.

JMO

I said "theories" for goodness sakes :floorlaugh: the so-called suicide is a theory, just as the bonking is a possible theory. as for the prints on the balcony, you need to backread the other threads where it was mentioned that there is another print that was not mentioned.

According to the ME, suicide isn't just a theory, it is his ruling in manner of death.

JMO

the evidence found can point to a suicide but it was not convincing enough to rule out murder or a staged suicide thats why I feel this case should have been declared "undetermined"

There is no evidence a perp was in the room with her or on the balcony with her, thus the conclusion that her death was suicide.

JMO

it is to me just a matter of semantics, they should have declared it "undetermined" cause since the evidence is not convincing.

here's a quote from a newspaper:
Some prominent forensic pathologists have come forward to offer their services to discredit the San Diego ME's findings, and support a petition to re-open the investigation, and reverse the initial findings.

One noted pathologist, Cyril Wecht, in speaking to KFMB-TV, saw a great deal of questions which need to be further explored. Some of his remarks have been transcribed from an audio feed, and given below in bold print.

"I see no reason why she should have laceration of the scalp or fracture of the calvaria (skullcap) enough to produce hemorrhages, clearly indicative of some form of blunt force trauma. Her head would not have struck anything to produce that. There are also unexplained abrasions, scratches, and contusions of her legs and hands.

For someone to say that there is no evidence of a struggle is not correct. As to the tape marks on her calf, I don't have an explanation for that. Why would you bind your feet? Binding one's hands is not a sophisticated piece of knowledge. People don't think about it, or know about it. How would she know that she would want to bind her hands.

When you put all of this together, it is bothersome. As a medical examiner, in my opinion, the manner of death should have been left as undetermined. Sometimes we can't be sure because more investigation has to be conducted. I would not have been in a big hurry to sign this out as a suicide. I would like to ask these people when have they ever seen a suicide like this?"

According to the ME, suicide isn't just a theory, it is his ruling in manner of death.

JMO

it is to me just a matter of semantics, they should have declared it "undetermined" cause since the evidence is not convincing.

here's a quote from a newspaper:
Some prominent forensic pathologists have come forward to offer their services to discredit the San Diego ME's findings, and support a petition to re-open the investigation, and reverse the initial findings.

One noted pathologist, Cyril Wecht, in speaking to KFMB-TV, saw a great deal of questions which need to be further explored. Some of his remarks have been transcribed from an audio feed, and given below in bold print.

"I see no reason why she should have laceration of the scalp or fracture of the calvaria (skullcap) enough to produce hemorrhages, clearly indicative of some form of blunt force trauma. Her head would not have struck anything to produce that. There are also unexplained abrasions, scratches, and contusions of her legs and hands.

For someone to say that there is no evidence of a struggle is not correct. As to the tape marks on her calf, I don't have an explanation for that. Why would you bind your feet? Binding one's hands is not a sophisticated piece of knowledge. People don't think about it, or know about it. How would she know that she would want to bind her hands.

When you put all of this together, it is bothersome. As a medical examiner, in my opinion, the manner of death should have been left as undetermined. Sometimes we can't be sure because more investigation has to be conducted. I would not have been in a big hurry to sign this out as a suicide. I would like to ask these people when have they ever seen a suicide like this?"

Cyril Wecht has been paid for his opinion.

the evidence found can point to a suicide but it was not convincing enough to rule out murder or a staged suicide thats why I feel this case should have been declared "undetermined"

Okay but the decision has been made and neither LE nor ME agrees with you. The ME has made it clear he is comfortable with his decision and he's also defended it. He has no reason to change it to undetermined at this point.

JMO

According to Bremner, investigators were aware of the neighbor who apparently heard someone screaming from the mansion at 11:30pm, right before Jonah sent the voice mail that according to the LE prompted Rebecca to commit suicide.

Bremner also says she found a neighbor who heard a woman screaming from the mansion at 11:30, more than an hour before investigators believe Zahau checked her voicemail.
Bremner says that could mean Zahau died much sooner than investigators believe and she is now trying to get the cellphone so it can be examined by a forensic expert.
San Diego County Sheriff's spokesperson Lt. Larry Nesbit said investigators will re-examine Zahau's cellphone.
"It's amazing to see how much information there is out there about this tragic death and clearly it's not a suicide, Bremner said."
Bremner says investigators are aware of that neighbor who says she heard the screaming, but it's unclear if it made any difference in their investigation.
Source: Attorney: Zahau Death Might Not Be Suicide | NBC San Diego
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/New-Details-In-Mansion-Death-Revealed-130329173.html

some more info (apologies if this has been posted already):

An attorney for Rebecca Zahau's family has answered the call for a state review of the investigation into her death, by saying they want nothing less than a full-fledged new inquiry.

Jonah Shacknai, Zahau's boyfriend, asked state Attorney General Kamala Harris Monday to “evaluate” findings by the San Diego County Sheriff's Department and Coronado police in the deaths of Zahau, 32, and his son Max, 6, who died within days of each other in July.

Investigators declared Zahau's death a suicide by hanging, and Max's, an accidental fall.

Seattle attorney Anne Bremner countered Wednesday by asking Harris to conduct an independent probe, and accept input from Bremner's investigators and at least 10 experts. She said the team is prepared “to challenge the finding of suicide.”

“We also have new compelling evidence to be investigated and new critical witnesses to be interviewed,” Bremner wrote.

Zahau's family has maintained that she did not kill herself and detectives failed to explore other possibilities. Up until this point, they had been pressing for authorities to re-open the case, not for an independent investigation.

http://coronado.patch.com/articles/zahaus-family-seeks-new-inquiry-from-state

There is no tide towards suicide. Just in your mind. I think 90% of people on all sorts of forums believe she was murdered. I am praying that this case is reopened and the perpetrator(s) are brought to judgement. This was no suicide. The Police Dept needs to go back to school.

And the tide turns toward suicide. Without new evidence, I now doubt LE will re-open the suicide investigation.

JMO

None of that points to suicide. Only in your mind. What farewell note? That note on the door was an ominous message from the killer, not a suicide note. The murderer probably wore gloves hence no fingerprints on the rope. In fact, why weren't Adam S's on there since he cut her down? hmmmm What did the journal say that proved she wanted to kill herself??? Link please? Adam S. failed the polygraph but they are dismissing that? Why? There is no proof whatsoever that she committed suicide. No proof at all she would even know how to commit such an elaborate act. Lots of PR folks over here from the S. family is what I do see. Never seen that on this forum before.

The LA Times reporter also mentions that the investigator who initially suspected homicide changed his opinion after finding the journal, farewell note and only her DNA on the rope around her neck. None of that points to homicide, it points to a suicide.

JMO

I believe the investigation was thorough and complete. There are only opinions that every aspect was not investigated but no proof to support those opinions. LE has no reason to lie about it or cover it up. I get bothered when LE is bashed and accused of corruption when there is no evidence to support it.

JMO

Here is some information as to how "complete," the investigation was:

http://www.thehinkymeter.com/2011/09/22/rebecca-zahau-case-a-case-of-assumptions-and-factoids/#more-7997

*Note: this is my first time adding a link, so I apologize in advance if I did it incorrectly*

this is so sad. a woman was screaming in the mansion.....and this was disregarded as evidence ? my goodness, what is going on ?

According to Bremner, investigators were aware of the neighbor who apparently heard someone screaming from the mansion at 11:30pm, right before Jonah sent the voice mail that according to the LE prompted Rebecca to commit suicide.

Source: Attorney: Zahau Death Might Not Be Suicide | NBC San Diego
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/New-Details-In-Mansion-Death-Revealed-130329173.html

this is so sad. a woman was screaming in the mansion.....and this was disregarded as evidence ? my goodness, what is going on ?

From what we are told, police have decided very early on this was a suicide. And I bet from that time forward they worked to prove that. Claims that there were screams coming from the mansion doesn't exactly prove suicide, does it? Doesn't really fit with an iron-clad suicide story, does it?

This link is terrific and it shows the shoddy work that LE did here. I am ashamed that I live in a city with such a LE force. I guess they think if you are rich or come from a rich family that you don't need to investigate said family.

Here is some information as to how "complete," the investigation was:

http://www.thehinkymeter.com/2011/09/22/rebecca-zahau-case-a-case-of-assumptions-and-factoids/#more-7997

*Note: this is my first time adding a link, so I apologize in advance if I did it incorrectly*

I am curious about the neighbor hearing someone screaming around 11:30pm. Why was this dismissed by LE??? Who was at that party? Who had the party? Why was there a party? When did the people leave the party? Was the screaming after the party? Who would party when their child is in critical condition or allow such a party?? Was RZ at the party? What was her demeanor? Did LE talk to everyone at the party to see if she was there and what her demeanor was? Were people at this party mean to her? Say nasty things to her? Why did RZ take her dog to a boarding place?? Was JS mad at the dog for some reason? Did he threaten her about the dog? Who takes a dog to board when you are home? Did LE ask about the dog? Was it RZ's dog? Why did RZ's sister said that she was going to take JS clothing and food but instead he claims he came home for clothing? When did he come home? Did they question him about that? Did he talk to RZ? What kind of contact did RZ have with AS that night? He was the only one there. Was he investigated beyond this lie detector test that was inconclusive, ie, he failed? Why wasn't his phone records checked and his room and maybe even where he lives? Why did he show up there? Why wasn't he at the hospital for support of his brother and instead partying at the mansion? This investigation was so shoddy it literally turns my stomach.

to fit the screams in the suicide story, they will probably say, she screamed before hanging herself :floorlaugh:

They don't have all the evidence that the LE do. Also, it must be said that some of these naysayers are being paid by the Zahau family for their help.

Isn't the evidence what the Zahau family is requesting?

Link to the naysayers being paid by the Zahau family please. Everyone working for the family has been known to do pro bono work if they feel it is a worthy case. You keep stating that they are being paid, no imo, no links to back it up. Therefore, no proof of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phnix