What Is the Defense Strategy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have a lot of experience watching the judicial system in the States, so I've been puzzling this week about how the defense is going to work this case.

So, it doesn't appear to me that the defense has any additional evidence or witnesses to testify, which must mean they are only going to attack the evidence.
So moving along, the SA puts on their side, the defense attacks the evidence, the jury doesn't buy the reasonable doubt and ICA is found guilty.

Then we get to the mitigation phase, before sentencing. Baez appears to be lining up all kind of mitigation experts to say blah blah poor ICA, yukky childhood, controlling mother blah blah -so at this point is Baez admitting ICA is guilty??? This is the part I don't understand. He's using "only a few criminal convictions" (she's a good kid), her mother was controlling, her brother and father sexually abusing, etc etc., so this is why ICA can't be held responsible for killing Caylee? Or give her a lighter sentence even though she's guilty because she had all these problems so shouldn't be held as responsible as someone harder, tougher, etc., for killing her child as that other really rotten person?

Help me out here - how does this work?

I just read (posted by nums10) that JB said if YM's nose is so good he should work in the K9 unit in response to YM's testimony that the Pontiac smells like decomp.

What about the other people who have claimed the same thing? GA, CA, Lee and the towyard guys. I'm sure there are others too. Does this mean that GA has a new job?

Whatever JB's strategy is imo it shouldn't be making comments like this one. It is unprofessional and doesn't serve to dispute the reports of the horrible smell that many already claim to have smelled. They can't go back.

Not much of a strategy I think. Just push the SODDI defense cuz the body was moved. Blab for another year before trial and make sure they taint any jury pool with nonsense. Harass all the searchers until one or more of them makes a statement they can twist in their favor. And Cindy will be sure to look like a sweet grieving granny victim (for that 1 sucker juror that may fall for it and have sympathy), talk about God alot (hoping she can appeal to that 1 religious juror), hack on LE (to find that 1 juror that doesn't trust the law) etc. And the last strategy is to keep KC happy and well stocked in jail. Laptop access to keep her icon collection growing.
I noticed she finally logged into her old Myspace. http://www.myspace.com/kayseeomaree

It hadn't previously been logged into since the day she went to jail the last time.
Courtesy of Baez probably.
Just an update.. logged in 8/17/10...first time since she went to jail.. Now the log in date has been hidden on her myspace. I wonder who is logging in there and why? And why do they want it hidden? And did they make it hidden after reading here? :waitasec:

They've got a power and a force
that you've never seen before.
They've got the ability to morph
and to even up the score.
No one can ever take them down
the power lies on their siiiide.

Go Go Power Rangers
Go Go Power Rangers
Go Go Power Rangers
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers

They know the fate of the world is lying in their hands.
They know to only use their weapons for defense.
No one will ever take them down,
the power lies on their siiiide.

Go Go Power Rangers
Go Go Power Rangers
Go Go Power Rangers
You Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers

Aka the NEW and Improved Defense Team!

Don't worry folks, it's just a cartoon, all fantasy..
:dance: :twocents:

I honestly don't know what the defense theory is going to be. If SODDI, how do you explain the roots growing between the bones/bag/items at the crime scene. The body was so decomposed, the body had been placed there much earlier than ICA incarceration.

The reason why that`s crucial is that the forensic analysts working for the prosecution, we`re talking botanists and etymologists, analyzed insects, foliage grass growing through the remains to determine that the child had died in June and had been dumped there on June 18th.

Now, how do you use insects and grass to make that kind of determination?

BILL MANION, M.D. PH.D. FORENSIC PATHOLOGIST: Well, with respect to insects, there is an evolution of insect species that overcome a body. First, blow flies will lay their eggs. You`ll see maggots form and they`ll age over several weeks.

Then other invertebrate insects, arthropods, spiders, beetles will also begin to inhabit the body, lay their eggs. And so over time, you can see this progression of insect species in the remains.

With respect to plant botanists, they may be looking at different plant species that are growing around the remains. They may also wash the nasal sinuses like in the skull. Sometimes you can wash the nasal sinuses and find pollen or diatoms pollen.

And that`ll help you see what time of the year this person was breathing and had that particular pollen in their nose.

Source: http://archives.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0901/12/ijvm.01.html

How is the defense going to explain away Caylee being in the same spot for so long prior to her discovery?

MOO

Mel

The defense strategy.

There was a poor princess named Casey and she grew up in a home with a mommy, daddy and brother.
Princess Casey was very used to getting her way. She would howl and wail until her family relented. And then she was very happy and easy to live with.
Casey was a spoiled child. Spoiled to the point of her mommy denying her pregnancy in the 7th month. Mommy insisting she finished high school (pe...really?) Mommy and daddy believeing she really had a job. Taking care of her child and making excuses for princess Casey.
All that made the Princess all crazy and she decided to murder her child because she got mad at mommy. The ulitmate F-* mom.
Now Princess Casey lives in laa-laa land all persecuted by the world. All because she was spoiled.
She should be let off because, afterall, all she did was some ugly coping.
The End.

imo :cow::banghead:

I didn't know which thread to bring this up on, but I was just surfing for things on Dr. G, what cases she had been involved with and I noticed this article about a Michelle Murphy, a friend of LA's since 1st grade....I don't recall seeing a deposition with her...JMHO

It appears ICA had issues 15 months before Caylee was allegedly abducted. If the defense were smart, they'd try their hardest for a PPD episode which might just save her from a DP conviction. I do feel she will be convicted but given LWOP for the ME couldn't determine COD...JMHO

Michelle Murphy is a friend of the Anthony family who has known Lee Anthony, Casey's brother, since the first grade. In her interview with police, she described a phone call between her and Casey Anthony 15 months before Caylee vanished in which Anthony said she was "feeling crazy." Murphy said she feared Caylee was in danger and offered to come and pick her up.

In the documents, Murphy said Anthony told her she felt like she wasn't being a very good mother and was considering committing herself for psychological reasons. Murphy said she wasn't sure if it was a ploy for sympathy or a reaction to Anthony's stormy relationship with her parents.

Murphy detailed a tumultuous relationship between Casey and Cindy Anthony regarding Caylee -- and said that during Caylee's second birthday the two competed over gifts.

Murphy also said that George and Cindy Anthony had often spoken of gaining custody of Caylee, and that during a vigil held after the toddler went missing he speculated as to what would have happened if they had gotten custody instead of just discussing it.

Murphy said Casey Anthony had lied about being pregnant with Caylee -- saying doctors believed she may have a tumor. The next day, Murphy said Anthony appeared overjoyed to be carrying a baby.

Finally, Murphy said Anthony had at one point said she was pregnant again and that Cindy Anthony was furious. She said Casey Anthony later said she had miscarried.
http://www.wesh.com/r/19728108/detail.html

When has Jose Bias been ever been guilty of professionalism, his strategy is two fold attack the evidence on cross examination and saving his clients life with mitigating circumstances.

The first, with an extremely experienced competent attorney and a sympathetic jury could have whittled her sentence down to a few years. As it stands now her attorney has alienated just about everyone on the planet. Be-bopping his way around the talk show circuit and surrounding himself with colleagues of similar abrasive personalities he comes across as self promoting, manipulative and lacking the skills needed to successfully defend this case. The result of this is she doesn't stand a chance of that light sentence now.

The second strategy will get her life however I believe that's what she will get no matter what JB's defense tactics are going to be. Any scurrilous information that comes out about KC, her family and her upbringing will be just more salacious information to be picked apart and sensationalized. Ultimately, it won't change a thing, she will get 15-life or if things really go well LWOP. So thank you JB for you efforts if it wasn't for you she probably wouldn't be getting what she deserves. JMOO

When has Jose Bias been ever been guilty of professionalism, his strategy is two fold attack the evidence on cross examination and saving his clients life with mitigating circumstances.

The first, with an extremely experienced competent attorney and a sympathetic jury could have whittled her sentence down to a few years. As it stands now her attorney has alienated just about everyone on the planet. Be-bopping his way around the talk show circuit and surrounding himself with colleagues of similar abrasive personalities he comes across as self promoting, manipulative and lacking the skills needed to successfully defend this case. The result of this is she doesn't stand a chance of that light sentence now.

The second strategy will get her life however I believe that's what she will get no matter what JB's defense tactics are going to be. Any scurrilous information that comes out about KC, her family and her upbringing will be just more salacious information to be picked apart and sensationalized. Ultimately, it won't change a thing, she will get 15-life or if things really go well LWOP. So thank you JB for you efforts if it wasn't for you she probably wouldn't be getting what she deserves. JMOO

ITA ... so Jose has someone on board now who knows how to cross-examine experts ... I was kind of looking forward to HIM bumbling his way through it ... ... Either way, there's a mountain of evidence, many experts and labs for them to overcome ...

It bothers me that they've brought in a jury consultant now ... it seems everything Jose does screams of deception and scamming ... because he knows full well he will never be able to discredit ALL of the experts and evidence ...

And then there's been an awful lot of time being spent on the penalty phase yet this defense wants us to think KC is innocent and will be acquitted ... everything they've done, to me, screams KC's guilt ...

They've also spent (wasted) an awful lot of time with the SODDI theory and STILL haven't come up with a reasonable one ... It will be interesting to see what comes out of meeting with TES ... my prediction: nothing ... they can go over all the records but when they don't find anyone else who was in the area, then what?

One thing I do find interesting is the defense calling everything junk science, and spouting that they will discredit the experts, yet they asked for entomology specimens to do their own testing ... hmmm ... why not just discredit the testing at trial? It really makes me wonder if this evidence is really, really damning ...

IIRC 15 o life is Manslaughter and what they give drunk drivers who accidentally kill someone while driving drunk. This is a First Degree Capital case and the least she can get is LWOP.

I didn't know which thread to bring this up on, but I was just surfing for things on Dr. G, what cases she had been involved with and I noticed this article about a Michelle Murphy, a friend of LA's since 1st grade....I don't recall seeing a deposition with her...JMHO

It appears ICA had issues 15 months before Caylee was allegedly abducted. If the defense were smart, they'd try their hardest for a PPD episode which might just save her from a DP conviction. I do feel she will be convicted but given LWOP for the ME couldn't determine COD...JMHO

Michelle Murphy is a friend of the Anthony family who has known Lee Anthony, Casey's brother, since the first grade. In her interview with police, she described a phone call between her and Casey Anthony 15 months before Caylee vanished in which Anthony said she was "feeling crazy." Murphy said she feared Caylee was in danger and offered to come and pick her up.

In the documents, Murphy said Anthony told her she felt like she wasn't being a very good mother and was considering committing herself for psychological reasons. Murphy said she wasn't sure if it was a ploy for sympathy or a reaction to Anthony's stormy relationship with her parents.

Murphy detailed a tumultuous relationship between Casey and Cindy Anthony regarding Caylee -- and said that during Caylee's second birthday the two competed over gifts.

Murphy also said that George and Cindy Anthony had often spoken of gaining custody of Caylee, and that during a vigil held after the toddler went missing he speculated as to what would have happened if they had gotten custody instead of just discussing it.

Murphy said Casey Anthony had lied about being pregnant with Caylee -- saying doctors believed she may have a tumor. The next day, Murphy said Anthony appeared overjoyed to be carrying a baby.

Finally, Murphy said Anthony had at one point said she was pregnant again and that Cindy Anthony was furious. She said Casey Anthony later said she had miscarried.
http://www.wesh.com/r/19728108/detail.html

yes..I remember seeing something about this in another document. Some sort of reference about how KC wanted to commit herself, etc. This is significant. We've seen many instances of CA in particular sweeping major things under the rug in order to (apparently?) save face. This report (that KC herself knew she was troubled) is a huge clue. KC did some heavy-duty "acting out" (stealing, lying and ultimately "running away") and CA didn't follow up with her even though she took Caylee with her! This is the part of the story that is so weird. Why didn't CA demand to get to see Caylee sooner than 31 days when she had to know how unfit and unstable KC was?? I keep thinking about how KC uses the word "lesson". She used it a number of times. I am thinking that when she was admonished by CA she heard that word often. CA and KC were engaged in a punishing fight--KC trying to "have freedom" and CA wanting to "instill a lesson". The clash of the titans! CA felt KC would come running back home.

The defense strategy has to include the allegations of sexual abuse at the hands of the male relatives. You just know that is coming. Prolonged sexual abuse (incest) could make someone act very inappropriately. (KC fits the profile of someone who has been "incested", btw). They'll say this is why KC "lost it". They'll say that KC doesn't even know what happened--etc. It will be a ridiculously hard sell (because she lies more than tells the truth, and her word is no good). IF, however, they can come up with some reliable evidence in this regard, it could very well have the same impact as the entire Mark Furhman "revelation" had on the OJ trial. Since the defense has to share their witness list....this doesn't seem to be happening...but they could add the person in the future...anything is possible. They need someone to CORROBORATE her story about sexual abuse in the home.

The defense can't spell strategy, let alone plan one.

BBM
Hmmmmmm

Stra......ummmmmm is that about the "strap ons" that AL mentioned in one of her lectures???

te.....Oh is that about accusations against TES or anyone else we can name in an addendum to a motion ???????

gy....is that as that as in gee what do we do now?

yes..I remember seeing something about this in another document. Some sort of reference about how KC wanted to commit herself, etc. This is significant. We've seen many instances of CA in particular sweeping major things under the rug in order to (apparently?) save face. This report (that KC herself knew she was troubled) is a huge clue. KC did some heavy-duty "acting out" (stealing, lying and ultimately "running away") and CA didn't follow up with her even though she took Caylee with her! This is the part of the story that is so weird. Why didn't CA demand to get to see Caylee sooner than 31 days when she had to know how unfit and unstable KC was?? I keep thinking about how KC uses the word "lesson". She used it a number of times. I am thinking that when she was admonished by CA she heard that word often. CA and KC were engaged in a punishing fight--KC trying to "have freedom" and CA wanting to "instill a lesson". The clash of the titans! CA felt KC would come running back home.

The defense strategy has to include the allegations of sexual abuse at the hands of the male relatives. You just know that is coming. Prolonged sexual abuse (incest) could make someone act very inappropriately. (KC fits the profile of someone who has been "incested", btw). They'll say this is why KC "lost it". They'll say that KC doesn't even know what happened--etc. It will be a ridiculously hard sell (because she lies more than tells the truth, and her word is no good). IF, however, they can come up with some reliable evidence in this regard, it could very well have the same impact as the entire Mark Furhman "revelation" had on the OJ trial. Since the defense has to share their witness list....this doesn't seem to be happening...but they could add the person in the future...anything is possible. They need someone to CORROBORATE her story about sexual abuse in the home.

thanks Affinity...this is the way the defense should be going instead of trying to blame SOD....if she were to admit to her actions, under severe mental stress due to the controlling, demanding, verbally abusive mother, she lost it the night of this alleged blow up fight which turned physical. She might do herself some favors and lock in a LWOP sentence vs a date with the executioner. I do believe her wanting to look like the innocent mother who is being targeted by the mean, bad policeman, will hurt her more than she knows. She should just admit to her wrongs, beg for forgiveness and mercy and feel blessed with a life sentence.

I don't believe ICA was sexually abused by her father or brother but I do feel she was sexually abused through her own actions. She became very promiscuious during her teen years which is why she has no clue as to who Caylee's father is. She had been looking for love in all the wrong places. She was in a power struggle with CA for a very long time. Then when Caylee arrives, she's still struggling for control only CA wins this one due to her supporting Caylee and ICA. Had she instilled work ethics, family values/morals instead of trying to dominate both ICA and Caylee..ICA could have done this correctly. She could have gotten a "real" job, her own apartment and been her own woman, if she hated her mother controlling every aspect of her life. She couldn't see that far into the future for her rage took over. We saw the rage CA had at the Morgan depo, I could imagine these two in an arugument, it must have been some knock down brawls, words flying....words cut like a knife and I'm sure ICA's been called many things by CA....JMHO

I put myself in this scenario, I too had a horrible home life due to a violent alcoholic father but I left my unhappy home at a very young age. I completed my schooling, had two children I raised solo (vowed they would never feel what I felt!), my own apartment (with some help from the govt)...ICA seems to be lazy to even want something better for herself and her daughter. It was easier to take Caylee out of the equation because she has no true feelings other than anger and rage...IMO

She seems to be needy, holding on to the first man that shows affection, like TonyL said, she just started shacking up with me...she attaches herself to men easily, wanting that home life with the white picket fence but didn't want to work to acheive this..ICA is truly messed up in the head but not enough for insanity, brow beaten, IYKWIM??? CA did a job on her through mental and verbal abuse...JMHO

Justice for Caylee

For more than twenty years, Richard Gabriel and Decision Analysis have helped both criminal and civil attorneys overcome almost insurmountable odds to achieve positive verdicts for their clients. Whether dealing with a high profile murder case or high stakes product liability or securities lawsuits, Richard Gabriel and Decision Analysis use innovative jury research and unique case presentation strategies to map and influence how jurors think about a case. According to Richard Gabriel, "These unique strategies will change the ways that jurors understand cases and improve their decision process." Richard Gabriel has also done expert commenting on jury and trial communication issues for Good Morning America, NBC, CBS, CNN, Fox, Court TV and NPR. He has been quoted in the New York Times, Newsweek, USA Today and numerous other publications.

Get the real story on how Decision Analysis and Richard Gabriel produce extraordinary results for their clients against improbable odds.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_2007_Oct_8/ai_n21027549/

Seems RGabriel visited with ICA on July 30, 2010...so even as JBP informed Baez there is no need for a jury consultant, there are no funds for him, he goes ahead and puts him in touch with ICA??? Doesn't he follow the judges orders??? I don't think His Honor will appreciate this....JMHO

Justice for Caylee

Seems RGabriel visited with ICA on July 30, 2010...so even as JBP informed Baez there is no need for a jury consultant, there are no funds for him, he goes ahead and puts him in touch with ICA??? Doesn't he follow the judges orders??? I don't think His Honor will appreciate this....JMHO

Justice for Caylee

If he's doing it for free, can Judge Perry say anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeanBean