What Is the Defense Strategy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been watching the first three days of these recent hearings again - (ack my eyes, my ears) and one thing just has me shaking my head so much I expect it to roll off onto my desk and just bounce away.

How does the defense after these three - well four - days continue to look and obviously feel smug? Seriously!!??

I think we did see an honest moment from Baez at the end of the final/fourth hearing - but professionally speaking how in the name of anybody can he think he is doing a good job? How is that possible?

I've been watching the first three days of these recent hearings again - (ack my eyes, my ears) and one thing just has me shaking my head so much I expect it to roll off onto my desk and just bounce away.

How does the defense after these three - well four - days continue to look and obviously feel smug? Seriously!!??

I think we did see an honest moment from Baez at the end of the final/fourth hearing - but professionally speaking how in the name of anybody can he think he is doing a good job? How is that possible?

I get the unsettling feeling that they are still planning a GOTCHA moment.

http://www.wftv.com/news/17014164/detail.html July 28, 2008 Article

"Your position, Mr. Baez, seems to be, 'Just trust us. We're trying to do an investigation here. If we get anything we'll tell you about it. Just trust us.' Well, it just doesn't work that way," Judge Stan Strickland said."

------------------
HMMM where have I heard that before

Judge Strickland July 28, 2008 Hearing

"When push comes to shove, in a case like this, I'm gonna err on the side of the First Amendment every time"

Baez Nov 26, 2008 Gag Order Hearing
" Baez said the gag order wasn't necessary..." he said, adding "when push comes to shove, I'm going to err on the First Amendment every time."

What is notable too, and I hope it is not lost on the jury, is that the type of questions which are leveled at LE by defense who were the first to repond to a missing child call. It's as if defense is saying, how dare you ask this meak, mild, whisp of a "child of 22" those sort of questions. At 22 I a two year old child and another one on the way. You are not a child at 20 when you have a baby to raise. They make you grow up fast, really fast. In some cases it's "sink or swim" with young children. If you still consider yourself a child at that age there is seriously some wrong with you. Plus it goes against everything you think you are once you hit the magical age of 18. You are not a baby and would never admit to being anything but an adult.

I realize they were trying to get things thrown out but if they continue to badger LE about looking for Caylee it will become quite obvious their client was lying.

So they need to drop that hot banana.....or is it potato??? :Bananared::Banane05::Banane08::Banane08: Sorry, no hot potato smilies, bananas it is.

http://www.wftv.com/news/17014164/detail.html July 28, 2008 Article

"Your position, Mr. Baez, seems to be, 'Just trust us. We're trying to do an investigation here. If we get anything we'll tell you about it. Just trust us.' Well, it just doesn't work that way," Judge Stan Strickland said."

------------------
HMMM where have I heard that before

Judge Strickland July 28, 2008 Hearing

"When push comes to shove, in a case like this, I'm gonna err on the side of the First Amendment every time"

Baez Nov 26, 2008 Gag Order Hearing
" Baez said the gag order wasn't necessary..." he said, adding "when push comes to shove, I'm going to err on the First Amendment every time."

And CM's favorite phrases, "Wink, wink". lol

Another thing the defense needs to stay away from in KC's statement, which I believe is her first written statement, "I would lie, steal, do whatever it takes to find my daughter." That being stated in her very own handwriting, signed by her and if she said this because it was true, whatever would she do to save her own life? Other than the lying and stealing she really did not do a good job attempting to find her child but you might be more likely to compare it to promoting her new lifestyle.

One expert argument over a root measurement or whether someone reported correctly about the amount of choloform within the car is not going to change the glaring facts that will be presented. Not enough for reasonable doubt.

When CM and JB did their questioning they did a pretty good job with what they had, misspoken at times because we know better (but a jury may not) but LDB was brillant in her soft-spoken presentation of what the state considers facts and slammed a lot of doors shut for the defense. It will be like that the whole trial. So much so that it would not surprise me to see a juror stand up and yell at KC, "For, goodness sakes girl, throw yourself on the mercy of the court."

I think it is overwhelming and it's out there. It will just take SA to herd everything back to the barn to shut the door. Not sure defense has a defense. jmo

:goodpost:

As to the piece RBBM, thank you for stating it like that. It really clarified for me that when the jury goes in to deliberate, the central question they are faced with is not "Exactly how thick were the roots that were growing through the bags and entwined with Caylee's remains?" The central question is, "Did the defendant murder her daughter on or about June 16 2008?" An (IMO non-) issue about how long Caylee's remains lay in that dumping ground will be secondary to their considerations of the 31 days, the partying, the elaborately constructed lies to friends and family, the Invisi-nanny, the... well, YKWIM.

Neither the roots nor the Henkel duct tape are explained away by anything other than that KC herself murdered Caylee, IMO and :cow:.

He might be considering what he has to work with in this case. What are his options? The only defense strategies other lawyers have suggested were insanity or a plea in the beginning. Casey isn't going for either so...they have to do something and that's just to try and wittle down the evidence so there won't be as much for the jury to see. The evidence imo really is enormous.

:goodpost:

Snipped:

Neither the roots nor the Henkel duct tape are explained away by anything other than that KC herself murdered Caylee, IMO and :cow:.

Ynot . . You are so right, there is just no getting around the duct tape and the 31 days. I do think they may try to shove George under the bus, but given his unstable mental state, that is a powder keg. If they need to rely on him for anything, God help them.
Regardless of which defense they might try, I too agree with many of the above posters who say a plea is the only chance Casey has to save her life.

Ynot . . You are so right, there is just no getting around the duct tape and the 31 days. I do think they may try to shove George under the bus, but given his unstable mental state, that is a powder keg. If they need to rely on him for anything, God help them.
Regardless of which defense they might try, I too agree with many of the above posters who say a plea is the only chance Casey has to save her life.

It appears she has adjusted to jail well. Life in Prison may not be intolerable as well. She will also have a long time to think about her heinous crime & ask God's forgiveness. Still she is too stubborn & arrogant to plea. So...o...oh...I think the death penalty may be more acceptable to her. She will think up some story to make it alright:truce:

TODAY IS MONDAY, MARCH 14, 2011 and the defense du jour of the day is back to an accident per Dr. Spitz, or he thinks this because there is no proof Caylee died at the hands of anyone in particular. Of course the good doctor may not have taken in the fact that on the very night Caylee disappeared and was never seen again her mother walked arm in arm into Blockbuster and rented two movies about, kidnapping, bodies in the trunk, a victum with duct tape on his mouth. Did KC has ESP? Or is she just one sick puppy? jmo

Problem is GA did not have KC's car and from the 16th on we would know where he was.
KC showed up at Tony's without Caylee and GA was at work.

Sure, but the defense could say he stashed her somewhere until he got off work

KC admits on the jailhouse tapes that she has not had a good relationship with her father (probably because he tried to set boundries) so her covering for him is very doubtful.

The defense could say that she covered out of fear for Caylee and herself. Maybe he threatened to harm Caylee if she told anyone she was missing.
And they could say he abused her since childhood so she was fragile.

Nothing stopping her from turning him in now and she was not afraid to admit he may have molestered her (she's really not sure) so why wouldn't she admit GA was responsible for Caylee's death to her friend if her intent was to make GA look bad.

I think they might say she couldn't say anything until she could get enough evidence together because he was framing her. So she is sitting in jail while her dream team gathers proof. [ good luck with that]

GA just admitted in open court that he would do anything, sell his soul to the devil to save Caylee and basically save KC. So anything he'd admit to now to save KC's life would be highly suspect. GA is not credible and now even more so than CA (which is hard to believe because I thought no one could top CA)

I am not sure he would be admitting anything. I see it more as he will be blindsided and thrown under the moving bus.

Besides that, and this is very gross to think about, but the duct tape on Caylee's face were torn very irregularly and we know from GA's statement he is very meticulous when it comes to tearing duct tape and putting it neatly on that gas can.

Again, evidence that she was being 'framed' by her psychopathic, abusive father.

Grandparents are so different when it comes to children because THEY CAN WALK AWAY from that responsibility, parents can't. So grandparents are so much less likely to kill their grandchildren. Mothers who feel held back from the life they want to lead and a child/children are preventing them or holding them back are the one's more likely to do something drastic. KC fits the mold. It suits her well from her reactions in court when her daughter's name is mentioned. She is totally disconnected from "that child". jmo

I agree. I KNOW Casey killed her sweet child. I am just predicting a possible defense strategy. " CASEY WAS FRAMED." That is one of the few scenarios they have left to try on the jury.
Grandpa didn't kill the child because he felt trapped. He did it because he was
mentally ill, a psycho pedophile who had abused Casey her entire life. Then he snapped and took the child, and threatened Casey's life if she told anyone. So she did what she was told and pretended nothing was wrong. But he killed Caylee and framed Casey, so she is the real victim here.

"According to court papers, the FBI agent said Casey Anthony gave him the impression the father could be her brother."

This is why the FBI tested LA and GA for DNA. Wonder how LA feels about this? No wonder she can't look at them in court. jmo

Sure, but the defense could say he stashed her somewhere until he got off work

The defense could say that she covered out of fear for Caylee and herself. Maybe he threatened to harm Caylee if she told anyone she was missing.
And they could say he abused her since childhood so she was fragile.

I think they might say she couldn't say anything until she could get enough evidence together because he was framing her. So she is sitting in jail while her dream team gathers proof. [ good luck with that]

I am not sure he would be admitting anything. I see it more as he will be blindsided and thrown under the moving bus.

Again, evidence that she was being 'framed' by her psychopathic, abusive father.

I agree. I KNOW Casey killed her sweet child. I am just predicting a possible defense strategy. " CASEY WAS FRAMED." That is one of the few scenarios they have left to try on the jury.
Grandpa didn't kill the child because he felt trapped. He did it because he was
mentally ill, a psycho pedophile who had abused Casey her entire life. Then he snapped and took the child, and threatened Casey's life if she told anyone. So she did what she was told and pretended nothing was wrong. But he killed Caylee and framed Casey, so she is the real victim here.

If KC could lie to those three big meanie police officers I don't think she was scared of her father. If she could lie to the FBI I don't think KC was afraid of anyone. jmo

If KC could lie to those three big meanie police officers I don't think she was scared of her father. If she could lie to the FBI I don't think KC was afraid of anyone. jmo

Obviously I do not BELIEVE this scenario. But my dad was a defense attorney for 30 years and I know how they think. If you have solid evidence pointing to your client, then you try to prove they were framed, Defense Strategy is not necessarily truthful. And it only takes one or two jurors to buy what you're selling.

Obviously I do not BELIEVE this scenario. But my dad was a defense attorney for 30 years and I know how they think. If you have solid evidence pointing to your client, then you try to prove they were framed, Defense Strategy is not necessarily truthful. And it only takes one or two jurors to buy what you're selling.

In some cases it might work. This one is just too overpowering it's just a matter of trying to save her life now, I think.

I am really beginning to contemplate that we might see a lame duck defense at trial--that they will let the SA present their witnesses, they will cross the SA witnesses to the best of their abilities, and when the time comes that HHJP asks the defense to call their first witness, JB will stand and say, "The defense rests, your Honor."

They do not have a coherent defense to present--there is no Zanny-the-Nanny, and all the circumstantial evidence points to their client's guilt. They cannot put their client on the stand (though I realize if she demands it they can't stop her--but IMO she won't put herself in that situation). Anything they might hang on to, like where the tape was on the skull, or when Caylee's body was left in the swamp, they can bring out while cross examining the SA witnesses.

Really, what strategy is left to them, other than "We rest, your Honor."?

"According to court papers, the FBI agent said Casey Anthony gave him the impression the father could be her brother."

This is why the FBI tested LA and GA for DNA. Wonder how LA feels about this? No wonder she can't look at them in court. jmo

Imagine hinting at that if it wasn't true......:eek:

Then again why am I shocked? If you will kill your own child....why should this surprise me!

Imagine hinting at that if it wasn't true......:eek:

Then again why am I shocked? If you will kill your own child....why should this surprise me!

ICA has no moral compass. Fancy being checked to see if you are the father of your sister's baby because she "alluded" to it. Yet she expects him (Lee) to support her? Gimme a break.

Poor LA must have crumbled inside when that happened. Can you imagine his feelings at the day of testing? He must have been devastated.

I hope Mallory and him find comfort and strength in one another. His parents haven't supported him and he must be well beyond broken hearted over that. Sometimes families aren't what they should be and it's best to move on and create a new life.

Lee, in my books you're an upstanding young man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member