What Is the Defense Strategy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
CM wanting HHJP to share with him a senior moment.

well ok if they are bringing in the psych guy to give testimony that the defendants legal team is clinically b@tsh@t insane that may be a viable approach. But I don't know how much testimony they can give about the actual defendants state of mental health now? :waitasec:

well ok if they are bringing in the psych guy to give testimony that the defendants legal team is clinically b@tsh@t insane that may be a viable approach. But I don't know how much testimony they can give about the actual defendants state of mental health now? :waitasec:

BBM: That works. They both seem to qualify.

So is the point that JB is trying to make this: If the police have someone that they think could be a suspect in a crime, they must immediately arrest them and read them their rights before questioning them any further? I hope that this BS that Baez and Cheney have been doing comes back to bite them in their keisters.
On another point I don't think George had the smells like a dead body conversation with detectives until after Casey was questioned at universal.

I believe Yuri admitted on the stand that the conversation took place sometime between the time he got there and before the Universal visit. Problem is this family first called for help regarding a stolen car and stolen credit cards, when police arrived they were thrown off by a missing child, whose mother, when Sgt. Hosey spoke with her alone, indicated it was just a domestic matter, her Mom wanted custody of the child and that's why the child was not home. Investigating further it was decided to find the child to resolve the matter, then it was back to "Well, the child is missing because we can't find the nanny." YM arrives and his focus is on the missing child. Dad now brings up the car smells. So they've gone from the car is stolen, to the child is stolen and back to the car smells funny. YM's focus was on let's find the child and we'll resolve that issue later. Where is the child I believe was his main focus until they realized the lengths the mother was willing to go to not give them information on her missing child. Then the car became important.

We have seen the A's in action. They are great at trying to throw people off their intended track. While GA was right in bringing it to Yuri's attention it does not mean Yuri was having the same "Ahaaa" moment GA was because GA already knew his daughter's history for lying. Obviously GA was not convincing enough when he brought the smell of the car to Yuri's attention.

I think the fact that the car was not taken right away is proof they did not suspect KC. jmo

Aren't they already well past the deadline for bringing in any psych issue during the guilt phase of trial? I seem to remember that that ship sailed ages ago?

Well, except I don't think they are using him to say she was legally insane. I have a feeling they are going to use him to explain her behavior and why she lied. They don't seem to e disputing the fact that she lied....two things from his website jumped out at me and that was bipolar (remember how little she slept according to her phone activity) and "psychosexual" under fields he has investigated.

Now what reason they would give for adding him at this late date, I don't know.

Well, except I don't think they are using him to say she was legally insane. I have a feeling they are going to use him to explain her behavior and why she lied. They don't seem to e disputing the fact that she lied....two things from his website jumped out at me and that was bipolar (remember how little she slept according to her phone activity) and "psychosexual" under fields he has investigated.

Which would make him a great witness for the penalty phase. No problems, go for it guys. But I don't think that they will be able to bring anything on that subject into play during the guilt phase.

Which would make him a great witness for the penalty phase. No problems, go for it guys. But I don't think that they will be able to bring anything on that subject into play during the guilt phase.

Exactly, because neither of those things are valid reasons or excuses for killing your child, or even for not reporting a 'missing' child.

With ICA seeming to be lost in an "I'm a lawyer" fantasyland, I was wondering the other day if they will have a psychiatrist testify. Looks like they will:

http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/looking_for_love_tdsEPxsuLW47Auna6XmOMP#ixzz1HCNw80LN

"The defense also wants to call Jeffrey Danziger, a well-known Central Florida psychiatrist who frequently testifies at criminal trials, as a witness."

ETA: I wonder if he's going to say she's bipolar:

http://www.jeffreydanzigermd.com/jeffrey_danziger_md_002.htm

I have seen other criminal cases where the defense will use a psychiatrist to explain why someones behavior was out of the norm for the situation but not necessarily proof that that person is guilty of committing the crime. That's my guess anyway.

Now the Boca Raton doctor made me think of George right away. I believe that's where his parents live or is the area he supposedly attempted suicide. Not sure which, maybe someone else remembers.

Guys, now that it's close to trial time, I've given great consideration to the defence's strategy and aside from the strategy I posted earlier: Jazz Hands. I think Baez will shore up his jazz hands with this:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xywqv1cDH8&feature=related[/ame]
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chewbacca_defense"] [/ame]

Another thought occurred to me as well. The defense first tried to have any statements about Casey's thefts and lies thrown out then there was of course her statements to family and LE where she lied. Didn't want the jury to know about it. So that was their first try and since it is coming in there's plan B. The pathological liar who's first instinct is to lie no matter what it is about. An uncontrollable defect. I've kind of been waiting for a long time for that to surface. Not just from the defense but that Anthony's as well.

I think their defense is going to be that she was a good mother, but being young, she wasn't too worried when the babysitter didn't bring her back...& not one to pass up the chance for some 'me' time, she was hanging out and partying, while just kind of waiting on the babysitter. Which would've been almost believable, if she had said that in the 1st place. But, I guess they could answer that with...by the time her mother found out, she realized that the situation had turned serious & didn't want to admit to how 'negligent' she had been, and things just snowballed from there. Don't jump on me, lol, but I'm seriously trying to think of a defense & this is all I could come up with. MOO. (& this is a believable defense, because I've personally babysat for mothers who left their kids for weeks at a time )

Another thought occurred to me as well. The defense first tried to have any statements about Casey's thefts and lies thrown out then there was of course her statements to family and LE where she lied. Didn't want the jury to know about it. So that was their first try and since it is coming in there's plan B. The pathological liar who's first instinct is to lie no matter what it is about. An uncontrollable defect. I've kind of been waiting for a long time for that to surface. Not just from the defense but that Anthony's as well.

You mean like, ' just because she lied to the cops about her daughter being missing it doesn't mean anything because she lies about EVERYTHING, even the weather'. So don't make too much out of it, it is just the way she is. That kind of thing? LOL If that is where they are at with plan B then they better get that 'mitigating factors' report going. They are going to need it.

I think their defense is going to be that she was a good mother, but being young, she wasn't too worried when the babysitter didn't bring her back...& not one to pass up the chance for some 'me' time, she was hanging out and partying, while just kind of waiting on the babysitter. Which would've been almost believable, if she had said that in the 1st place. But, I guess they could answer that with...by the time her mother found out, she realized that the situation had turned serious & didn't want to admit to how 'negligent' she had been, and things just snowballed from there. Don't jump on me, lol, but I'm seriously trying to think of a defense & this is all I could come up with. MOO.

Well, that WOULD be a winning defense--- IF there had actually been a babysitter. But once they find out she was a figment of Casey's imagination, then not so much.

I think their defense is going to be that she was a good mother, but being young, she wasn't too worried when the babysitter didn't bring her back...& not one to pass up the chance for some 'me' time, she was hanging out and partying, while just kind of waiting on the babysitter. Which would've been almost believable, if she had said that in the 1st place. But, I guess they could answer that with...by the time her mother found out, she realized that the situation had turned serious & didn't want to admit to how 'negligent' she had been, and things just snowballed from there. Don't jump on me, lol, but I'm seriously trying to think of a defense & this is all I could come up with. MOO. (& this is a believable defense, because I've personally babysat for mothers who left their kids for weeks at a time )
That's actually not bad, but there's no "nanny" person the defence can present to the Court. If they tried that tactic, then I fully believe the jury would be waiting to see a real live nanny - an actual person for Baez to reference, so it won't work, imo.

OK. Options for the defense at trial:

1. Cross-examine SA witnesses, and present no defense witnesses.

2. Present a defense that attempts to prove SODDI--a defense made infinitely more difficult because (a) there is NO NANNY, (b) all the items found with Caylee's remains come from the Anthony home, (c) decomp hits by cadaver dogs on the trunk of the car that was in KC's sole possession and in the backyard of KC's home, (d) root growth narrows time frame when Caylee was put in the swamp, (e) evidence of human decomposition in the trunk of car that was in KC's possession during time decomp would have happened, (f) hair with "death band" found in trunk of said car, (g) KC's activities during the 31 days she utterly failed to report her daughter missing/kidnapped;

3. Ummm... Er... She was um... well she, you see... uh... what if this was all a big accident that snowballed out of control? Ummm yeah... and the duct tape, well the duct tape was something KC added later, to try and stage a kidnapping in case the remains were ever found.

4. See again #1.

Feel free to add to or correct the above!

Present Ugly Coping = Lies = Zanny story = Caylee taken but ICA blanked and panicked?

But then the defense needs the jury to believe there was a nanny in the first place. I just don't see the jury buying it or the defense being able to explain why Zanny has never been found. The ugly coping excuse falls more in line with an accident that Casey covered up. When you consider that option you need an explanation for Casey's behavior and activities as well. If there was an accident that resulted in Caylee's death from no fault of Casey's she should still be devastated not out partying, renting movies, getting a tattoo, etc. We know they can't prove Casey was doing any actual searching for Caylee because the SA can prove from witnesses and cell phone pings that she was not. Unless they really think the jury will believe Zanny hung out at fusian and that was Casey's real reason for going there. :floorlaugh:

You mean like, ' just because she lied to the cops about her daughter being missing it doesn't mean anything because she lies about EVERYTHING, even the weather'. So don't make too much out of it, it is just the way she is. That kind of thing? LOL If that is where they are at with plan B then they better get that 'mitigating factors' report going. They are going to need it.

Yup, exactly. Like lying is a first instinct for Casey especially when stressed. Cindy kind of gave it away when she said just because she lied or is a liar (don't remember which) doesn't make her a murderer. Geragos has said in the SP trial that sure his client was a 24 carat ahole but not a murderer. My theory is they own up to what they can't get thrown out but try and put some reasonable spin to it to alleviate some guilt of the worst crime. Hope that the jury will only find her guilty of obstruction and lesser charges.

Y'all make such good points! Since the Defense doesn't have to offer proof or even put on their own case likely they will just rely on attacking witnesses in vigorous cross and/or an opening and closing statement to the jury that they believes pokes the most holes in the State's case. What is definitely bad for them is all of the lies ICA told. I don't think that they want to be stuck with the fictitious and poorly put together lies about ZFG! Unless they want to put ICA on the stand and have her admit she told all lies and panicked...they may just want to put the seed in the jury's mind that it could have been an accident without putting on a case that it was by suggesting it through cross examination and testimony of other witnesses willing to help their side or who will be easily led. From their actions and filings and media blitz since Caylee was found they have wanted to say that Caylee was dumped after Casey was in jail. That implies that someone else killed Caylee and destroys the accident theory. The accident theory is destroyed by the fact that Casey herself never rendered 911 aid to the child had clearly is not an expert in saving a life or knowing if whether 911 had been called that Caylee would have been saved.

The more I see from the Defense the more I just see them only wanting to attack State's witnesses as though this was a vast conspiracy by the State of Florida to frame their client. They should have done all in their power to get a plea...because all of their badgering of witnesses will just look petty and pointless.

The best thing to do now, is to just attack the state with vigor in cross...ask questions that imply scenarios but not to present a defense. Had they laid the groundwork in the media from the beginning that they were going with accidental death it would have been easier. But they are starting fresh with the jury...so all of their media mistakes before are wiped clean. If they do put on an accidental death defense or a SODDI defense it will be very difficult...

I think ICA will be RIGHTLY convicted and will never leave jail. She is guilty and. O amount of smoke and mirrors is going to make the evidence point to any one other than ICA during those 31 days!

That's actually not bad, but there's no "nanny" person the defence can present to the Court. If they tried that tactic, then I fully believe the jury would be waiting to see a real live nanny - an actual person for Baez to reference, so it won't work, imo.
They could claim that she more than likely is hiding out in her home country? I personally wouldn't buy it, but they are trying to plant some reasonable doubt here. The hardest defense is going to be explaining away all of her 'after the fact' lies. But I guess she can claim that she got carried away because she knew there would be he!! to pay with her mother, but while she was lying, she still fully anticipated Caleigh's return? In this scenario, they wouldn't have to produce a nanny...maybe witnesses who claim she existed. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nosferatu