What steps should be taken to protect kids from being left in a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A law like this would do more harm than good--I don't believe someone who accidentally left their child in a hot car should serve jail time.
SBM

Even when such a automatic jail-time, no excuses, zero tolerance statute is enacted,
there is always prosecutorial discretion not to bring charges against the parent/caregiver.

I have always though it would be a great idea to install a camera in middle of a van, suv or bigger car and put a viewing monitor in the front(kind of like a back up camera in the car) that way you can see your kids at a glance in the monitor.I know a lot of people have them in their rooms at home to see child sleeping or playing while parents are cooking,cleaning , sleeping.I see tv monitors in cars all the time while stopped in traffic.If you had a full view in back at a all times there could be no way to say you didn't see a child or forgot them.IMO

Personally, I always wanted to be able to see my child when he was in the rear facing position--I put a mirror in the back "ceiling" area so that I could see him by turning my head towards the back, and it was positioned where I could lower the sun visor (which has a mirror) and see in the back without having to turn my head. I was able to use the rear facing seat until past age three--the thing I disliked the most about it was not being able to see my baby, then toddler. A camera is a great idea for many reasons!

Larger rear view mirrors made specifically so parents can see their child/children have been available for a long time.
Munchkin Safe View Mirror
http://www.diapers.com/p/munchkin-s...tm_medium=PDP_SG&utm_campaign=di-sg-to-mobile
Worried about children's safety while driving your car? Munchkin Safe View Mirror helps end these worries. This large sized mirror easily attaches to the back seat. It rotates 360-degrees for you to adjust it to an angle that allows you to view your baby.

Hopefully no one gets into a car accident because they were watching their baby on TV monitor instead of attending to the traffic like they should.

I am of the opinion that most hot-car deaths are truly a result of distraction, not murder. So, to create a law that would supposedly hinder an intentional murder by hot-car sounds like playing whack-a-mole...these types will easily move on to some other means.

A law like this would do more harm than good--I don't believe someone who accidentally left their child in a hot car should serve jail time.

Oh, my, EIO. If anyone leaves a baby, child or the elderly, unattended until death, inside an enclosed vehicle, wholly on accident, they have unintentionally killed a person. Accidents happen when people are not paying attention to what they are doing. It's equivalent to pointing a gun and shooting it, then claiming you didn't know the gun was loaded when someone is harmed. Ignorance is a poor excuse for a responsible parent and being stupid is not a valid excuse for killing people.

An accident is when you fall off a bicycle and skin your knee. An accident is when a driver wrecks after running a red light and T-Bones another vehicle. An accident is when a tunnel or bridge unexpectedly collapses. Legitimately forgetting and leaving a living breathing person locked inside a vehicle is an accident with consequences.

Accident according to http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/accident

1. an undesirable or unfortunate happening that occurs unintentionally and usually results in harm, injury, damage, or loss; casualty; mishap: automobile accidents.

2. Law. such a happening resulting in injury that is in no way the fault of the injured person for which compensation or indemnity is legally sought.

3. any event that happens unexpectedly, without a deliberate plan or cause.

4. chance; fortune; luck: I was there by accident.

5. a fortuitous circumstance, quality, or characteristic: an accident of birth.

Synonyms: mischance, misfortune, misadventure; contingency; disaster.

Antonyms: design, intent.

Now let's look at reasons people have left children in hot cars:

1. Jaren Andrew Lewis, 11mo, left in car while his father went inside someone's home and smoked pot for forty-five minutes.
2. Courtney Turner, 2yo, DOA after mother left her in the car with it running in the driveway for a hour.
3. Kasey Westlake, 11mo, mother left her in the car bc she was sleeping and didn't want to wake. Mom ate, fell asleep for 4 hours and her baby died.
4. Jared Sternberg, 3yo, babysitter left Jared in the van while the sitter played video poker.
5. Hez Welch, 2yo, grandmother went to work and told him to stay in the car and not leave it. He stayed. He died.
6. Bryan Puckett, 11mo, died when the babysitter left him and her own son in the car while she took her 3yo shopping.
7. Ben Shelton, 9mo, left in car three hours when father went into work at NASA and forgot to drop Ben off at NASA's daycare.
8. Ethan Fletcher, 5mo, died when mother left him in the car all day. She forgot to take him to daycare.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/parental/carbaby.asp

IMMHO, if adults want children, they are responsible for them until the children are eighteen years old.

For CMJA [Convicted Murderer Jodi Ariass] trial watchers, what is it about a Cinnabon? Two children were seen left inside a SUV on parking lot video while their Mother goes inside the mall to shop for a Cinnabon. The mother was not arrested because the PO did not find intent [antonym of accident] and the terrified children were, fortunately, physically unharmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dSDYxfA_7I

Social Experiment "What would you do?":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZN7zNhUrHc

My opinions are based on life experiences, researching the topic and all that jazz. JMO. OMO. MOO.

For daycares it seems to me that a system of the parent calling in to let the daycare know they are not bringing the child in that day would be very beneficial. If the parent does not call, the daycare should immediately call the parent or emergency contact information they have to verify. While a daycare may say this should not be their responsibility, at the prices they charge to watch your child it would be something that should be built into the system and could be worked out. jmo

I have an almost 2 year old that I plan to keep rear facing until she reaches the maximum height for the seat. I've started placing my handbag on the floor behind her car seat when she rides with me. I always place my car key in my bag when I arrive at my destination.

I agree that education is the way to go about this. I started placing my bag in the back after reading a scary article on hot car deaths.

I tend to wonder if tinted windows are part of the problem? We drive a sedan with no tinted windows. The back seat is clearly visible from outside the car. Most families seem to favor SUVs and minivans with tinted rear windows. It seems like that makes it harder to notice a child left in the backseat.

I have saw tv monitors come in mini vans and suv from the factory.I don't think they should watch it like a video but a glance at a stop light or a safe time.IMO, it isn't any worse than people on their cell phones or texting in traffic but in some cases it could save a child's life.IMO

Oops! Watch out! If you report a child in a hot car to police you might get killed!

http://m.ajc.com/news/news/couple-reported-child-in-hot-car-run-over-by-child/ngrCd/

THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!!
I HOPE SHE DOES SERIOUS TIME!
she doesn't care about anyone's safety!

All posts are MOO

ITA. RIDICULOUS!!! That's a d@mn shame! That attacks them because SHE did wrong by leaving her child in a hot car?!! WTF is wrong with people? Hopefully with her extensive criminal record, they can lock her azz up for a long, long time. Bless that couple's hearts...they said if they had to do it again, they would. They are awesome!!!

I have saw tv monitors come in mini vans and suv from the factory.I don't think they should watch it like a video but a glance at a stop light or a safe time.IMO, it isn't any worse than people on their cell phones or texting in traffic but in some cases it could save a child's life.IMO
y9y9e9ez.jpg

This has been available since 2005.

http://www.gizmag.com/go/4312/

All posts are MOO

Thanks, i wish they had them for my car.I have 5 nieces and nephews and 3 great nephews all under 9 and a 13 year old myself I would love to have one .It's hard to keep an eye on them while driving ,lol.:great:

Oops! Watch out! If you report a child in a hot car to police you might get killed!

http://m.ajc.com/news/news/couple-reported-child-in-hot-car-run-over-by-child/ngrCd/

THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!!
I HOPE SHE DOES SERIOUS TIME!
she doesn't care about anyone's safety!

All posts are MOO

Wow! What a piece. That's all I can say without getting a time out.

I guess the realization that two complete strangers care more about your baby than you do, makes you kind of angry

Thanks, i wish they had them for my car.I have 5 nieces and nephews and 3 great nephews all under 9 and a 13 year old myself I would love to have one .It's hard to keep an eye on them while driving ,lol.:great:
I don't know the cost but I know this one can be placed to see whatever children you need to.
Found it. $99.99
Yada Tiny Traveler: http://youtu.be/Rul4zSb8dmc
http://www.yadastore.com/mobile/Category.aspx?id=1814
Or this one
ALWAYS IN VIEW $199
http://infanttech.com/#features
u2usy8ed.jpg

All posts are MOO

Now if this were your worst nightmare wouldn't you have at the very least gone onto the internet and researched all these products that are available to watch your child in the backseat if you were worried about forgetting him in the car. One item is a simple $6 mirror I bet you could buy at any Babies-R-Us store. jmo

Now if this were your worst nightmare wouldn't you have at the very least gone onto the internet and researched all these products that are available to watch your child in the backseat if you were worried about forgetting him in the car. One item is a simple $6 mirror I bet you could buy at any Babies-R-Us store. jmo

True, Lamb....but wouldn't that take away from one's time sexting 6 women or spending thousands of dollars on music equipment?

True, Lamb....but wouldn't that take away from one's time sexting 6 women or spending thousands of dollars on music equipment?

I was talking about LH. She did say she researched hot cars, too. RH had no concerns about losing his job so he is a bit strange. It only took one person to complain about his sexting for the company to find out he was doing it on company time. Nope, no concerns there. He just figured he can do what he wants, when he wants and he was untouchable. Not working to out too well for him. jmo

I was talking about LH. She did say she researched hot cars, too. RH had no concerns about losing his job so he is a bit strange. It only took one person to complain about his sexting for the company to find out he was doing it on company time. Nope, no concerns there. He just figured he can do what he wants, when he wants and he was untouchable. Not working to out too well for him. jmo

Oh yes, LH......right. I don't know but I think she was totally encompassed with a "fog" of denial that she couldn't even think straight.
Ever.
At least I'm trying to hope that at least one of these parents has an ounce of humanity inside them.

RH had high tech stuff. ANY of these items could have been purchased. How many computers were taken by CCPD?(including laptops, tablets etc...)*
They also have 2 iPhones I know his was an iPhone 5 .
How much were they? $600????
How about 1 less computer?
A less expensive phone?

Sadly his son took a back seat to daddy's
cell phone and laptop. I mean that literally.
He even posted on Reddit how insensed he was at someone who left a laptop in their car at a ball game.

I stand by my assertion! This was his wife's fear. It didn't become a fear of his until it served him a purpose. I hope that comes back and bites him real good.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: When you were speaking with him, what did he talk to you and how did he speak about the charges once you told him he was being arrested first with a cruelty charge?*

STODDARD: When I first spoke to the cruelty charge, he argued it and said it was an accident.*

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Did you later inform him he was also being arrested for felony murder?*

STODDARD: I did. After the decision was made and looking at everything we had had gathered to that point, we did decide to charge him with murder. I brought him back into the interview room and sat him down to explain the charge to him.*

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: When you told him what he was being charged with, what language did he use when responding to you?*

STODDARD: He looked at me and said, but there's no malicious intent.*

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: No malicious intent. Now, during the interview, just a little -- last few questions on the topic of probable cause. Did he discuss the issue of being afraid of children -- his child dying in a car?*

STODDARD: Yes.*

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: What did he tell you about that?*

STODDARD: He said it was a fear of his.*

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Did he explain further things he did about this fear that he had?*

STODDARD: Yes. He had researched watched (ph) websites on this fear. Two in particular. He had watched --

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: First, let me ask you, did he watch anything on television involving an advocate?*

STODDARD: Yes.*

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Tell the judge about what he said with that.*

STODDARD: He watched a TV show, an advocate who had lost his child, and he -- Ross said, just like me, in a child heat related death and this gentlemen was advocating for a turnaround program. He was very conscience of this because of this advocate and the turnaround program and he said he practiced it often. And, I'm sorry, for turnaround program means actually turn around and make sure there are no children in the car with you.*

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: So he actually -- he learned about how to do that?*

STODDARD: That is correct.*

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: And his claim was he didn't do it on that day, even knowing that?*

STODDARD: Correct.*

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1407/03/cnr.05.html

All posts are MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics