What steps should be taken to protect kids from being left in a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am too. "Forgotten Baby Syndrome" is poppy *advertiser censored*.
10-15 min is FBS imo
3,4 -7 hours is a DIS-CONNECT!

* really I am not referring to parents with several kids that forget one for 15min... I am talking about forgetting one long enough for them to die!

I worked! 12 days on 2 days off 8:30 am- 5:00 pm M-F
9:00 am -1:00pm Sat
I took call 10:00 am -11:00 pm Sun
and took call for the doctors until 11:00pm most other nights.
I had two kids 15months apart, and I did this when they were 6wks &17mos - 3 1/2 yrs & 5yrs.
I had almost zero help from their dad. None during the week. He did watch them Sat mornings so I could work.
Some how I managed to remember both of them. They didn't always go to the same day care. There were MANY nights I did not sleep, sometimes 2 in a row. Lots of schedule changes every time someone got sick, or the sitter was ill.
I did pull in an air conditioned / heated drive under garage.
Even then I never forgot one in the car, and there were times my beeper was going nuts!

I guess I was really lucky. Then again there were BARELY any quiet rides home. If they weren't crying, I was cussing some dork trying to make a 90° turn from the far Left lane in the middle of I-75!!!
They learned some doozie wurdy durds in my back seat!
Gotta love Atlanta traffic!

ETA: FBS... I.would be willing to apply that title to a grandparent or infrequent sitter aunt, uncle, family member... especially when loading them down aith 3+ children.moo
Not a parent.

All posts are MOO

:loveyou: :yourock::goodpost::cheer: :curtsey:

My sister is a foster parent she has 4 fosters under 6 ,3 still in diapers, 1 of her own plus her 1 year old grandson she is raising .6 in total at home under 9 plus 2 grown daughter and 2 other grandsons and she does pretty good. she is in the process of adopting the 4 also.We call her the baby whisperer and she manages to keep her house immaculate with white carpet and furniture, some can actually do it and loves those kids like her own.She has been a foster mom for 14 years some people can handle it some can't.I couldn't lol i would be bald:scared:

My sister is a foster parent she has 4 fosters under 6 ,3 still in diapers, 1 of her own plus her 1 year old grandson she is raising .6 in total at home under 9 plus 2 grown daughter and 2 other grandsons and she does pretty good. she is in the process of adopting the 4 also.We call her the baby whisperer and she manages to keep her house immaculate with white carpet and furniture, some can actually do it and loves those kids like her own.She has been a foster mom for 14 years some people can handle it some can't.I couldn't lol i would be bald:scared:

I'm sorry, but while I have no doubt your sister loves the kids, I question whether it is in their best interest to be cared by someone who is already a grandmother caring for so many children. The white carpet really has nothing to do with it and in fact, raises red flags.

My sister tried for years to have kids and was in foster care before she had her daughter.The 2 older girls were adopted at 15 years old 6 years ago .1 is an excellent mother and lives across the street from her mom the other choose another life and left her son , my sister got custody because he is mixed and his other family and didn't want him.The other 2 are high risk, born to a crackhead mother who lost her two boys in a crack house ,but not sure which one she has had them for 3 years and raised one from 4 weeks of age.The carpet was a joke because she cleans all the time.Nobody wants to deal with meth babies and my sister is a good woman who loves kids because she know's what it is to want them and not have them.Honestly, women have raised more than 6 kids for years of their own, foster care should not be an issue if they love them and care for them.If you have ever watched tv show the Walton's that's my sister..Raises red flags of what?She's clean?Like's white?In foster you have to keep your kids and house clean,shoes aren't allowed on the floor to keep kids away from germs on people's feet.She is 36 and still very young and able to keep up with them.

He managed to get the 5 yo out of the car but failed to take the baby out. I hope he doesn't find prison life overwhelming too.

Now that is funny. Thanks, I needed that laugh.

I'm sorry, but while I have no doubt your sister loves the kids, I question whether it is in their best interest to be cared by someone who is already a grandmother caring for so many children. The white carpet really has nothing to do with it and in fact, raises red flags.

I take it that if it were up to you that if a person has white carpet that they would not be candidate for adopting/fostering children? Do I have that right?

What a wonderful lady your sister is to open her home and heart to children in need.

The common factor wasn't daycare. In that case, I place a lot of blame on the foster care system. He was a foster parent who was given far too many small children to care for in his home. My own daughter had three children in twelve months. No way could she and her husband care for them without help and they didn't. Family stepped in. It was wrong to place that many children in his care to begin with.

JMO

Wow, MyBelle! Your daughter was me. My oldest son was 13 months old when my twins were born. If it weren't for my family, especially my mom, I don't know how we would have survived!

I am too. "Forgotten Baby Syndrome" is poppy *advertiser censored*.
10-15 min is FBS imo
3,4 -7 hours is a DIS-CONNECT!

* really I am not referring to parents with several kids that forget one for 15min... I am talking about forgetting one long enough for them to die!

I worked! 12 days on 2 days off 8:30 am- 5:00 pm M-F
9:00 am -1:00pm Sat
I took call 10:00 am -11:00 pm Sun
and took call for the doctors until 11:00pm most other nights.
I had two kids 15months apart, and I did this when they were 6wks &17mos - 3 1/2 yrs & 5yrs.
I had almost zero help from their dad. None during the week. He did watch them Sat mornings so I could work.
Some how I managed to remember both of them. They didn't always go to the same day care. There were MANY nights I did not sleep, sometimes 2 in a row. Lots of schedule changes every time someone got sick, or the sitter was ill.
I did pull in an air conditioned / heated drive under garage.
Even then I never forgot one in the car, and there were times my beeper was going nuts!

I guess I was really lucky. Then again there were BARELY any quiet rides home. If they weren't crying, I was cussing some dork trying to make a 90° turn from the far Left lane in the middle of I-75!!!
They learned some doozie wurdy durds in my back seat!
Gotta love Atlanta traffic!

ETA: FBS... I.would be willing to apply that title to a grandparent or infrequent sitter aunt, uncle, family member... especially when loading them down aith 3+ children.moo
Not a parent.

All posts are MOO

The fact that your husband didn't help with the kids might have made you less likely to forget one of them. You were used to always being the one to drop them off or pick them up.

I am a SAHM, and I feel like I wouldn't forget one of my kids because the default expectation is for me to have them with me. But then again, I am paranoid so I still put my bag in the back seat when I am taking the little one anywhere.

The fact that your husband didn't help with the kids might have made you less likely to forget one of them. You were used to always being the one to drop them off or pick them up.

I am a SAHM, and I feel like I wouldn't forget one of my kids because the default expectation is for me to have them with me. But then again, I am paranoid so I still put my bag in the back seat when I am taking the little one anywhere.
What's really sad is in 1991, to say 1995 there were only 29 cases of vehicular hyperthermia. It was pre airbag, but my kids were always in the beck.

It NEVER CROSSED MY MIND that people really forgot their kids in the car. Back then I thougt they were all children getting locked in a car by accident.

All posts are MOO

What has changed since 1995? The recommendation is to RF at least until age 2, and preferably longer. More people drive vehicles with tinted windows. The windows are also smaller than they used to be. I know the windows on our 2009 corolla are smaller and harder to see out of than the windows in my family's old 1993 corolla, probably to make car more aerodynamic. More people drive SUVs that are harder to see into because they are up higher. Most cars now have power locks. You no longer need to look around the car to make sure all the doors are locked. And of course people are also more distracted by mobile devices.

I hear ya. For me the mobile devices started in 1993. The old "bagphone" That was fun with a diaper bag and an infant and a toddler...
urajuhez.jpg

All posts are MOO

Today I saw a sign that made me sad for Cooper. A vehicle at a traffic light had an advertising sign on it claiming Pop A Lock will rescue children from locked vehicles at no charge.

"Emergency Door Unlocking - Pop-A-Lock is proud to have pioneered the Emergency Door Unlocking (EDU) Program - a free community service dedicated to saving children who are inadvertently locked in vehicles.

Because our company was founded by law enforcement officers, we are highly aware of potentially traumatic and dangerous cases where infants and small children are locked in vehicles.

In the event a child is locked into a vehicle, first call 9-1-1 and then call your local Pop-A-Lock. The nearest Pop-A-Lock employee will promptly arrive to unlock your car door free of charge."

http://www.popalock.com/emergency_door_unlocking.php

I take it that if it were up to you that if a person has white carpet that they would not be candidate for adopting/fostering children? Do I have that right?

My ex SIL was keeping my then 2-YO for me one afternoon. When I arrived to pick my baby up, she was sitting on the stairs, crying.

Her offense? She used her hands to help balance herself while walking up the stairs. In my SIL's newly painted $400,000 home. See, oils from fingers can RUIN a paint job. So my poor toddler was punished for using the wall to stabilize herself.

I never left my child in the care of that horrible woman again.

They also adopted two children of which she proudly told people she "beat the spirit out of them". But to be fair, she also beat her two bio kids. (Sarcasm, but she really did because the Bible said to).

I only post this because maybe RH and LH were like this?

DeDee. Thanks for posting about Pop-A-Lock service, good to know about.

Per the website*,
- already rescued hundreds of thousands of children locked in cars.
- routinely rescue hundreds more each day.
But can those 'rescued' numbers be accurate? (Even w locations in 2 Canadian provinces & ~40 US states.)
* http://www.popalock.com/emergency_door_unlocking.php[/QUOTE]
"....The nearest Pop-A-Lock employee will promptly arrive to unlock your car door free of charge. "
".... so you can count on Pop-A-Lock to be there when you need them most.Pop-A-Lock has already rescued hundreds of thousands of children through this free community service and
we routinely rescue hundreds more each day as our ongoing community commitment
." BBM

Check locations page re availability in your community, as about 10 states have no locations listed.
http://www.popalock.com/locations.php

ETA: My friend's mom used to say: "I've told you kids a million times not to exaggerate."

Today I saw a sign that made me sad for Cooper. A vehicle at a traffic light had an advertising sign on it claiming Pop A Lock will rescue children from locked vehicles at no charge.

"Emergency Door Unlocking - Pop-A-Lock is proud to have pioneered the Emergency Door Unlocking (EDU) Program - a free community service dedicated to saving children who are inadvertently locked in vehicles.

Because our company was founded by law enforcement officers, we are highly aware of potentially traumatic and dangerous cases where infants and small children are locked in vehicles.

In the event a child is locked into a vehicle, first call 9-1-1 and then call your local Pop-A-Lock. The nearest Pop-A-Lock employee will promptly arrive to unlock your car door free of charge."

http://www.popalock.com/emergency_door_unlocking.php

Thank you so much for posting this info! There is a location in my town! Pop-A-Lock phone # has been added to my cell phone. I forwarded this info to my adult children and to all their friends who have small children.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rockymountaingirl