When Baez paid the bank back wasn't that tantamount to pleading guilty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My very , very favorite part of that hearing was when the prosecutor pointed out that Baez has taken on a hundred new cases since the start of this trial and indeed Andrea has a full time "day job" as a professor, so it is not like they have been all consumed with just this dp Casey case for murder and cannot defend the fraud case, and furthermore, Miss Anthony is free to hire additional counsel to represent her in this case separately! Hilarious! Absolutely fantastic! I like Lindar, she is calm but she knows her stuff!

I agree.

IMO AL does not need to be the lawyer defending Casey on the check fraud case..she's a DP lawyere after all :) and was brought in for the murder case.

And if Baez is to consumed with the murder case and the other 100 new cases he took on then they can pass the check fraud case to another lawyer on staff or bring someone else in like they've done for the Defamation law suit.

I was just watching the videos of her at target. I particularly loved the glaring 18 pack of bud light.

She was incognito. :)
She had to buy new sunglasses and new clothes because she found out Zanny and Caylee were going to be in the beer aisle so she had to go undercover and play the part inorder to catch Zanny. :rolleyes:

Kinda like AL saying they are defending KC against the DP is kinda like saying she is guilty.

AL seems to skip over that innocent/guilty phase called a trial.. and goes straight for guilty.

I don't get what his master plan is. Casey paid restitution, you do not do that if you are "not guilty". Why would there even be a trial, why not just plead no contest, or is that not an option. Never has the outcome ever been more certain, she is on video tape at Target and the bank for God's sake! What do you think?

...bolded by me...
This p*ssed me off when JB said this in court. She didn't pay back !!!
They paid it for her. Paying restitution would mean that SHE had to work her butt off to come up with the money.
I have served on plenty of Juries in my years and I must be "old-school" because I find this offensive, I really do.
If I were seated on the Jury for this case (check fraud...not the murder case), this would get me steaming!!!

Oh, and by working your butt off for money, I didn't mean selling pictures/stories of your dead Baby for money. Shameful and horrific.

I am not sure, but I think I remember something to the fact if she was found GUILTY with the check fraud case.... it would have more of an impact on the sentencing of the Caylee case. I could be wrong..

I am not sure, but I think I remember something to the fact if she was found GUILTY with the check fraud case.... it would have more of an impact on the sentencing of the Caylee case. I could be wrong..

I recently read in one of the articles released after JS ruled that the case could go forward, that it would help the prosecution, because in order to pursue the DP, the defendant being a convicted felon was mitigating circumstances...or something like that:crazy:

Yes, according to legal experts on all of our local news channels. If she is convicted of the felony charges she will be considered a "convicted felon" when she goes to the murder trial. It will be a factor in the penalty phase.

Yes, according to legal experts on all of our local news channels. If she is convicted of the felony charges she will be considered a "convicted felon" when she goes to the murder trial. It will be a factor in the penalty phase.

This is why of course it is bad all around for Casey, but there is no use in delaying the inevitable, now that the judge has ruled, Beaz may as well accept it and have Casey be resigned to her fate and take the bench trial or plead guilty and get back to work on the murder trial. Raise you hand if you think he willdo the right thing.........crickets, I hear crickets! LOL

Wouldn't it be nice if KC would actually take responsibility for her own actions for once? "Imagine that!"

I remember Casey's lawyer actually stating to the judge the reason that he should delay the trail is that Amy had already been "made whole" as the money was paid back to her account. I know that is a legal term, but it was sooooo offensive, that poor girl's life has been ripped apart at the hands of Casey.

If every robber just paid back the stolen items, would Jose think they too do not require a trial?:waitasec:

Not only is this NOT true restitution, if it couldn't be used in the DP trial, that might not bode well for Amy either.

Since Amy could not have known about the check fraud situation until she returned from P.R. - the same night KC was actually arrested, she can't be used as a SODDI defense for "retribution" for missing funds. In fact, restitution of Amy's money could have been a strategy to make it EASIER for the defense to mention her as a possible SODDI suspect if the theft could not be mentioned in court if it was deemed "settled".

I think shortly after KC was arrested and, although her family corroborated her fake "nanny" story, she realized (as did her family) that they needed to broaden the database of possible "nanny" suspects so they were not limited to ZFG, which was problematic at best. Amy and Jesse have certainly been individuals amongst many of these. I think at this point people would be scared to admit they'd even known her; it might require lawyering up and involve lots of time and money.

There is no way that Amy can be "compensated" for the betrayal and lies, mental anguish and subsequent legal representation on her own behalf that KC has subjected her to with a silly little check that covers the dollar amount she was defrauded.

KC made a point of trying to implicate anyone that might now have a grudge against her (as when she told Rob D to "get some dirt" on Kiomarie to impeach her testimony.

I think what has shocked most of us even more than the entitlement attitude all of the Anthonys have exhibited, is the fact that JB has gotten by with as much sleazy stuff as he has in delaying this trial and blaming everyone else for problems his own client started.

In the usual cases if a person wrote a check on someone else's account, then repaid that person after charges were filed, but before it went to court the court will usually go easier on them. I think that is what Baez is hoping for. It's actually a pretty common legal strategy if they feel the check charges are strong enough that their client will be convicted. After all, in court the fraud case technically has to be held separate from the murder case.

But the court does usually give the guilty plea if the case is proven, the only break they give for the repayment would be in the sentencing. As long as the fraud case is held first and as long as KC is convicted it still works the same. So when it goes to court, she could get a guilty verdict, get a sentence of time served and it still won't make a difference. She will remain in jail on the murder charge, the felony can be used in her murder trial and can affect sentencing in the murder case.

The only person who really benefits by doing it this way is Amy. If they had the murder case first, then the fraud case most likely Amy would never have gotten her money back. KC would not have an income and wouldn't have anything to attach.

I think JB wanted to take away one more reason against delaying the prosecution of the case so that maybe he could get the fraud case to be delayed. And if Amy was repaid, that took some ammo away from the prosecution, in that the prosecution could no longer use the fact that Amy needed to get this settled so that she could work on getting compensated for the money.

For the record, it's important to note that BoA made Amy "whole" almost immediately after she reported the loss to them. At that point it is their prerogative to pursue the matter criminally. Which of course they did, and while JB & co made BoA "whole" by reimbursing them, BoA said "thanks dude, but it doesn't change anything, your girl is still on the hook criminally."

As opposed to SP's bank. SP reported a loss to them and they made her "whole" by reimbursing the account. For whatever reason, her bank decided not to pursue the matter by pressing criminal charges. They must have been too embarrassed for having honored the wire transfer KC arranged to pay her cell bill, when the account had been strictly set up to pay Mr P's nursing facility expenses.

The distinction being that if you report a legitimate loss to your financial institution and they agree to reimburse you, you essentially relinquish the power to pursue the matter legally to them. FWIW.

I recently read in one of the articles released after JS ruled that the case could go forward, that it would help the prosecution, because in order to pursue the DP, the defendant being a convicted felon was mitigating circumstances...or something like that:crazy:

All these different judges are making my head spin....:crazy:

So if I have this right....

Judge Strickland has given the okay for the CRIMINAL trial to go forward(checks)?

Yesterdays Judge is considering a postponment of the CIVIL (defamation ZFG case)?

DEATH PENALTY (Strickland) case is due to begin after the first of the year?

And I am assuming that postponing the CIVIL trial isn't going to really affect the DEATH PENALTY trial, whereas had the CRIMINAL trial been postponed (it wasn't) that WOULD have affected the DEATH PENALTY case? But not so much the CIVIL case?

Do I have this right?:confused:

All these different judges are making my head spin....:crazy:

So if I have this right....

Judge Strickland has given the okay for the CRIMINAL trial to go forward(checks)?

Yesterdays Judge is considering a postponment of the CIVIL (defamation ZFG case)?

DEATH PENALTY (Strickland) case is due to begin after the first of the year?

And I am assuming that postponing the CIVIL trial isn't going to really affect the DEATH PENALTY trial, whereas had the CRIMINAL trial been postponed (it wasn't) that WOULD have affected the DEATH PENALTY case? But not so much the CIVIL case?

Do I have this right?:confused:

I think you have it right...but this whole case makes me :confused::crazy::waitasec: and then: :bang:

But according to Cindy there was never any crime here- it was all "a misunderstanding between friends"....

But according to Cindy there was never any crime here- it was all "a misunderstanding between friends"....

In the famous words of Nancy Grace, "Well that certainly is putting lipstick on a pig!" Did Cindy really say that? That is hilarious, a Casey sized spin!

And this coming from the Mom who asked the lady appointed to guard her daughter, "What do you think, do you think Casey lost Casey at the mall?"
These people tell on themselves, and insult everyone's intelligence going on the media and telling lies and asking for donations. They are offensive! She, Cindy, really tried to downplay Casey stealing from her Grandmother in the depositions, it was sickening to watch. It is interesting listening to Grandma and Uncle Rick, they don't seem to be under Casey's spell as Cindy is, or pretends to be. I think the latter is closer to the truth because her question of Tracey tells us she KNEW Casey was responsible, just like she KNEW Casey stole from Amy and it was no misunderstanding! How does she sleep at night. She created this gal we have in front of us, from this enabling, in my opinion.

I am more than a couple of hours away (out of state), but I am hoping to attend at least a few days of the trial.

I'm quite a few states away but plan on attending. May not be able to get into the courtroom but will be there, hopefullly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500