Where do I start?

Ooh I didn't know he would be on it! I am not sure if this is something you would know, but do they typically include the interview with the kids and the guardian ad litem if they had one?

It usually depends on whether it was submitted as evidence for the hearing. If they settled without a hearing in front of the court it would probably would not be in the divorce decree.

Several years ago I tried to help a man learn who his mother was. From that experience, I can vouch for the fact that NY will not release divorce records to anyone except the couple involved for 110 years after the event regardless of what other names are in the record.

My husband and I are looking for his mom. She went missing in early 1984. She lost custody of my husband, his dad raised him. He never saw his mom's side of the family. I am assuming there is bad blood there, but sadly his dad has passed so we don't really know what is going on. His mom's side found him about 12 years ago, after his dad died. We've kept in touch, but they don't know where she went either. According to an aunt she was living in a shelter for battered women. I am not sure where to start looking for her. We've done DNA on two different sites, hoping something would pop, but it hasn't. We want to hope that she is still alive, but it's been so long. What is a good starting point? I am not sure how to look for somebody.

Thanks!

You (well, your husband) can start by asking his birth certificate by the state (dunno if you two know his mother's name or not). You can then ask for death certificates of that name (or sometimes just Googling the name!). I know that when you ask a birth certificate (of your husband) that you'll get the biological mother and father. It shouldn't be difficult and it shouldn't take a long time (except with adoption). I know that you can email to the city (in Belgium, that is!) and just a day or two later (after filling in a 5 minute long form) you'll get your birth certificate in your email inbox! You can try that way (if you haven't already). Your husband's city (of birth) should have some answers. I hope that I helped you! Feel free to ask me more questions! :D

Reactions: byo
What is a good starting point? I am not sure how to look for somebody.
The Mormons- but necessarily as a convert.

The Mormons have 'Family History Libraries' in every large city and quite a few medium sized ones. The centers contain some genealogical records on site, and have computer hook ups to a lot more.

They are also staffed by volunteers who know how to conduct effective and efficient data base searches and how to change tack when records dry up.

My guess is that so long as you can demonstrate that the person is a relative and that the records are public, they will be willing to help. I would recommend just visiting a Mormon library and seeing where it takes you.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrimeJunkie82
Back