WHIPPET missing Westminster Dog Show

kato said:
My grandmother has or had (she died last year and left him to my aunt) a Bichon. Talk about high maintanence.
Yes, I know. Mine are non-shedding, which is great, but if you don't groom a non-shedding dog, it turns into a walking dreadlock.
Thank goodness your aunt took him in. We get dogs into rescue all the time that have been the pets of elderly people who either died or went into a nursing home and the family members don't want them. They're used to a nice quiet life, and can't be placed in homes with children, and are often up in years themselves. And yet, every 80-something year old person who wants to adopt wants a puppy, one they're probably going to be outlived by, as Schnauzers commonly live into their teens.

SchnauzerMom said:
Yes, I know. Mine are non-shedding, which is great, but if you don't groom a non-shedding dog, it turns into a walking dreadlock.
Thank goodness your aunt took him in. We get dogs into rescue al the time that have been the pets of elderly people who either died or went into a nursing home and the family members don't want them. They're used to a nice quiet life, and can't be placed in homes with children, and are often up in years themselves. And yet, every 80-something year old person who wants to adopt wants a puppy, one they're probably going to be outlived by, as Schnauzers commonly live into their teens.

My aunt lived with my GM so it was a given. You're right about the dreadlock stuff. LOL Also, he's high strung and nervous. He was used to having someone around all day and my aunt works. I read that they are companion dogs and do not like to be left alone. I told her to ask the vet about meds. I have read that they do give dogs prozac.

Is the Bijon the dog small white dog with the soft looking hair, and the hair is longer on the ihead and perfectly cut to be round and it makes him look like he has a big head?

Scandi

scandi said:
Is the Bijon the dog small white dog with the soft looking hair, and the hair is longer on the ihead and perfectly cut to be round and it makes him look like he has a big head?

Scandi

Yep, the bichon frise. If they aren't groomed regularly they are a mess!

ETA: I pray they find this dog :( I saw the owner on TV and it was so sad....I can't even imagine!

lilpony said:
Oh my the poor doggie. He's running around the marshes..wow. He is probably scared to death, not knowing where he is or he is having the time of his life. :D
Gosh, I hope the owners get him back safe and sounds.
I thought for sure we would hear about this dog by now. He had to have gotten hungry; I thought he would be recovered in no less than three days. This is sad.

Buzzm1 said:
I thought for sure we would hear about this dog by now. He had to have gotten hungry; I thought he would be recovered in no less than three days. This is sad.
Its very sad. I would be so upset if my lil doggie, was out there all alone, and not be able to find her mommy(me). I couldn't imagine, its got to be heart breaking. My dog is my child(yes I am crazy) :D

lilpony said:
Its very sad. I would be so upset if my lil doggie, was out there all alone, and not be able to find her mommy(me). I couldn't imagine, its got to be heart breaking. My dog is my child(yes I am crazy) :D
Hey lp, I'm the very same way about my two cats.

Buzzm1 said:
Hey lp, I'm the very same way about my two cats.
:) You should hear how me and my hubby talk to her. Are neighbors must think were nuts! :p

lilpony said:
:) You should hear how me and my hubby talk to her. Are neighbors must think were nuts! :p
I know what you mean lp; I talk to my cats all day long; there isn't anyone else in my home--I probably do it so naturally that I do it in front of the neighbors; my cats do understand English. Nah, but they do know what "Get Down" means, and "Are You coming??", or "come Here", of course I use their name when I do this, and if they are outside and I whistle for them, they come running. "It's a great sight to see one's own cats bounding towards them. They will even hit the 7 foot fence, and come up over the top of it, when I whistle. That's kind of cool..

Buzzm1 said:
I know what you mean lp; I talk to my cats all day long; there isn't anyone else in my home--I probably do it so naturally that I do it in front of the neighbors; my cats do understand English. Nah, but they do know what "Get Down" means, and "Are You coming??", or "come Here", of course I use their name when I do this, and if they are outside and I whistle for them, they come running. "It's a great sight to see one's own cats bounding towards them. They will even hit the 7 foot fence, and come up over the top of it, when I whistle. That's kind of cool..
I have a cat that butts heads to great people. Most of my family ducks down so this cat can butt their head when they come in.
I love my cats and dogs equal to the closeness of a person.

I did a little Google search today to see if there was news on Vivi the Whippit. They stopped looking for her on Friday the 17th.

She took off running 25 mph across the tarmack and there were two employees running after her along with 3 cars. The one guy was only 4' away from her but he didn't know her name to call her and Vivi jumped into the wetlands adjoining the runway, and was never seen again. They searched all the almost 5,000 acres even by helcopter.

Turns out she was only worth $10 - 15,000 and not 50 like was originally told. But I bet she was scared so bad! I read about another Whippet that did the same thing. They found her body several weeks later but determined she had died almost right away after she flled the scene.

Off to the Olympics!

Scandi

scandi said:
I did a little Google search today to see if there was news on Vivi the Whippit. They stopped looking for her on Friday the 17th.

She took off running 25 mph across the tarmack and there were two employees running after her along with 3 cars. The one guy was only 4' away from her but he didn't know her name to call her and Vivi jumped into the wetlands adjoining the runway, and was never seen again. They searched all the almost 5,000 acres even by helcopter.

Turns out she was only worth $10 - 15,000 and not 50 like was originally told. But I bet she was scared so bad! I read about another Whippet that did the same thing. They found her body several weeks later but determined she had died almost right away after she flled the scene.

Off to the Olympics!

Scandi
My soon to be ex's mother lost a show dog of high value. They got on the phone and there was all kinds of people searching and puplic infop for $1000 rewards.
When I lost my dog we had the same help. We had a $500 reward and people with 2 way radios helping in searches plus notifcation of dogs in the pounds in surrounding areas.
I stayed over a wk looking for my dog and came to the conclusion she had been hit by a car and tossed off the road. This was by sightings traced of the dog running down the hwy.
The whippet is not going to survive well on it's own. Only because he has been fed by people he will not do well on his own.
Whippets are all muscle and no fat.
This poor dog is not equipped to make it on his own.

Ya Becba, If it had been the Huskie or the Malamute there would have been a better chance of survival. Those Whippets have a tendency to run away like that, especially from airports. I read about 3 cases of this on Google.

Sorry you lost your dog Becba.

Scandi

Becba said:
My soon to be ex's mother lost a show dog of high value. They got on the phone and there was all kinds of people searching and puplic infop for $1000 rewards.
When I lost my dog we had the same help. We had a $500 reward and people with 2 way radios helping in searches plus notifcation of dogs in the pounds in surrounding areas.
I stayed over a wk looking for my dog and came to the conclusion she had been hit by a car and tossed off the road. This was by sightings traced of the dog running down the hwy.
The whippet is not going to survive well on it's own. Only because he has been fed by people he will not do well on his own.
Whippets are all muscle and no fat.
This poor dog is not equipped to make it on his own.
That's why I thought the dog would be recovered within three days; because it would want to be fed. That dog wasn't prepared for the cold and hunger, and probably got wet, and waited for someone to dry it off with a heavy towel.

Buzzm1 said:
That's why I thought the dog would be recovered within three days; because it would want to be fed. That dog wasn't prepared for the cold and hunger, and probably got wet, and waited for someone to dry it off with a heavy towel.
Yes, it should be considered that the whippet could loose weight and starve alone.
These show dogs are put in a pretty centered life. They learn to stack and pose. They learn to mind the master and they learn that fo d comes 2xs a day.
My relative has champion Borzoi's. The dogs are not ready for a foe on there own

Plus Becba, don't forget that anytime they are a 'good doggie' and do something right they get a little nibble of a treat! What would they ever do in these shows without doggie nibbles? LOL

Scandi

Becba said:
Yes, it should be considered that the whippet could loose weight and starve alone.
These show dogs are put in a pretty centered life. They learn to stack and pose. They learn to mind the master and they learn that fo d comes 2xs a day.
My relative has champion Borzoi's. The dogs are not ready for a foe on there own

I would think most pet dogs expect to be well taken care of and get food a couple of times a day. I know mine, a pound dog, lives a completely pampered life, with a blankie and a heating pad and a raincoat and boots, etc. My dog could live a while and keep somewhat warm off his own fat, though -- unlike this skinny, shorthaired little pup out in that cold wetland. :( I sure hope he's okay.

Oh what fun Boats!~ Once I did a Christmas crafts sale which was a blast by the way. But the gal at the table next to me made clothes for animals and they were so adorable. She was always busy.

There's a shop here that sells real upscale jeweled collars, fur collared coats, everything very expensive, mainly for dogs. She is still there so must be doing OK!

Buzz, don't feel bad. Cats just won't keep clothes on! At that show I got a santa hat and a little outfit for Max. Everytime we put it on him he's run outside and ditch the outfit immediately. It was so funny - he absolutely could not stand the hat! We never did find it.

Scandi

scandi said:
Oh what fun Boats!~ Once I did a Christmas crafts sale which was a blast by the way. But the gal at the table next to me made clothes for animals and they were so adorable. She was always busy.

There's a shop here that sells real upscale jeweled collars, fur collared coats, everything very expensive, mainly for dogs. She is still there so must be doing OK!

Buzz, don't feel bad. Cats just won't keep clothes on! At that show I got a santa hat and a little outfit for Max. Everytime we put it on him he's run outside and ditch the outfit immediately. It was so funny - he absolutely could not stand the hat! We never did find it.

Scandi
No self-respecting dog of mine would ever be caught dead in clothes, but my animals have great beds, but one sleeps in my computer chair, and the other sleeps, either in my bed, or in one of the recliners, which has a great blanket on it; their outside beds are sheepskin. Life's rough.

Buzzm1 said:
No self-respecting dog of mine would ever be caught dead in clothes, but my animals have great beds, but one sleeps in my computer chair, and the other sleeps, either in my bed, or in one of the recliners, which has a great blanket on it; their outside beds are sheepskin. Life's rough.

I am sorrry but I am butting in as a person.I ain't gonna ever cover a person in snow, I have no idea of what to do. I only think of what I would do and who I would cover.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back