WHIPPET missing Westminster Dog Show

Buzzm1 said:
I thought for sure we would hear about this dog by now. He had to have gotten hungry; I thought he would be recovered in no less than three days. This is sad.
I'm with you-they called off the search and this is so sad.

:laugh: :laugh:

Buzzm1 said:
No self-respecting dog of mine would ever be caught dead in clothes, but my animals have great beds, but one sleeps in my computer chair, and the other sleeps, either in my bed, or in one of the recliners, which has a great blanket on it; their outside beds are sheepskin. Life's rough.

I thought the same thing too until winter came and my babe would be freezing outside so he has boots and a jacket. BUT that's the only reason why he has clothes. :p

Sassygerl said:
I wish they would find this poor dog :(
--------------

Hi,I read this post hoping I'd see good news.I am so sorry to hear they haven't found this dog.The poor little thing!! I have a Cocker Spaniel I love soooooo much.He is a pedigree dog. Our granddaughter had his mom and "wanted to watch him (ours) grow" so we took him.We always had pound dogs.My Red is so spoiled too but what a dolly!! He will be 13 on May 22.He gets a Twinkie and ice cream for his birthday~he's more loving than some of our relatives...Take care.

Wandering whippet Vivi has a cult following

Patty Munnikhuysen of Ransonville, N.Y., wore a decorative whippet pin to work the other day -- only to have three people stop and ask her about Vivi, the startled sighthound that broke free at Kennedy Airport more than a week ago.

"One was at a gas station on the way home," said Munnikhuysen, a whippet breeder who lives more than nine hours from the airport's booming runways.

Whippet-mania continues to spread, thanks to intense media interest in Vivi's disappearing act. Every possible lead is reported with breathless interest -- including news last night that fresh paw prints possibly belonging to the MIA whippet were discovered on the beach in the airport's western outskirts.

"We have two live traps out there now" in the airport's off-limits marshland and wildlife area, "and we will be relocating them" closer to the dog tracks, said Honi Reisman, a Baldwin dog fancier who has been spearheading the search along with Vivi's co-owner Paul Lepiane. Vivi's other owner, Jil Walton, who flew back from California yesterday and Lepiane to rejoin the search, spotted the tracks earlier in the day.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/newyork/am-vivi0223,0,6072999.story?track=rss

holy kriptonite!!!!!!! Poor little guy. My biggest concern is his seemingly ZERO BODY FAT.... and the weather combination. I DO HOPE he's eating whatever however and has found shelter.

I just cannot believe there is NO sighting of him. Everyones certain how it happened???? I MEAN no possibility of a kidnapping?

Just wondering. Keeping fingers and toes and eyes crossed. :p

Buzzm1 said:
On this morning's news they said there have been many recent sightings of this dog????

I saw that on GMA. They said either The Bronx or Brooklyn. I forget which one but it was a "B". They have been setting out cages whenever a sighting is reported. They also said this breed of dog can become feral very quick so may be hard to catch.

Keith Olbermann interviewed the owner of the dog last night - it's very detailed. He calls her "The Amelia Earhart of Lost Dogs" :p

It's the last story, so scroll all the way down, and then back up to the end of the transcript:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11975495/

I watched it last night, and the owner said the reason the dog's been able to survive the cold is that the place is full of open garages and places to get out of the cold.

Strange analogy, I know but, I'm thinking - here's this dog, just dog-tired of being dragged about these rings, having judges put their hands up and over goodness knows what on you, handling you like someone judging a bag of grapes at the grocery store. You spend how many hours flying, alone in a carrier and just hanging out at the show, getting all foo-foo'd up and then - oh my gosh - there's a ray of light ! Go ! Run ! Freedom ! (Thus my cow analogy). Happily, the cow got adopted to live its' life out in freedom. I hope and pray that this dog finds a forever home someplace and can be a regular companion dog, lounging about while the human goes foraging for him/her for awhile. Just my 2 - well, ok, maybe 4 cents worth.

luckyevan93 said:
Strange analogy, I know but, I'm thinking - here's this dog, just dog-tired of being dragged about these rings, having judges put their hands up and over goodness knows what on you, handling you like someone judging a bag of grapes at the grocery store. You spend how many hours flying, alone in a carrier and just hanging out at the show, getting all foo-foo'd up and then - oh my gosh - there's a ray of light ! Go ! Run ! Freedom ! (Thus my cow analogy). Happily, the cow got adopted to live its' life out in freedom. I hope and pray that this dog finds a forever home someplace and can be a regular companion dog, lounging about while the human goes foraging for him/her for awhile. Just my 2 - well, ok, maybe 4 cents worth.

I agree. He just saw freedom and went for it.

I did that once. Trouble was I wasn't as fast as a Whippet. In fact I got about 2 feet before I was captured. Oh well. .

luckyevan,

LOL! that's exactly what i was thinking. i mean, of course dogs (like pretty much all living things) like to have some purpose in life, but i don't think i could put a dog through all that show stuff... but that's just me.

btw, MY dogs are 'worth' more than $150,000... and they are mutts.

reb said:
luckyevan,

LOL! that's exactly what i was thinking. i mean, of course dogs (like pretty much all living things) like to have some purpose in life, but i don't think i could put a dog through all that show stuff... but that's just me.

btw, MY dogs are 'worth' more than $150,000... and they are mutts.
Years ago, we had neighbors and friends who had a beautiful but dumb Irish Setter. We had a Collie (smartest dog in the world if I must say so myself). We took our dogs to a "sanctioned match" locally. We did OK with our dog, but they won everything. Their dumb dog went on to his championship and our spectacular collie would scold me if I "paddled" my boys, drag them out of the street if they stepped off the curb, sleep under their beds if we had a new baby sitter, bring in stray kittens and herd all the kids on the playground so she could keep an eye on all of them. Now I ask you, who had the best dog? I will always remember Bonnie the best tri-color collie ever born.

Dog Show dogs are judged on their confirmation to the breed standards.

How closely they resemble the perfect ____________. The value placed on show dogs pertains more to their potential offspring than them. The puppy of a champion sells at a much higher price than less distinguished bloodlines. For males stud fees increase dramatically. Most purebred dogs have shorter life spans and no one would actually pay for a dog several years old as its not going to live much longer, but will pay double,triple or more than the going rate for a puppy of the champion. That sounds good as a breeder but profit is quite low and mostly you run at a negative. Whippets are sight hounds and rather than it escaping the life of a show dog it simply saw something interesting and natural ability and inclinations took over. Show dogs like the attention of the judges , audience, trainers, and groomers or owners wouldnt be entering them and most are also family pets. Westminister and several other shows are by invitation only ( all entries are champions already) and it is an honor to be asked to participate. It is quite expensive and takes some time to show a dog and obtain the necessary points to become a champion ( several thousand dollars .)

BarnGoddess - Your post about Bonnie had me laughing out loud - I clipped and sent it to a few select friends - I can just picture her shepherding the kids on the playground!!! LOL.... reminds me of a friend with a dog who brought a little boy home one day! she heard the dog yiping and went to the porch and here was this little tike, just standing, waiting. She wasn't sure where he lived but soon found out - none the worse for wear, just had an adventure with a new (furry) friend who thought he needed adopting, I guess. :)))

LE/Connie

luckyevan93 said:
I agree luckyevan93. I'm just glad she's still alive. At first they said she wouldn't last long in the 'wild.' I do hope she gets back to her owners. This has to be rough on them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back