Whitney Houston passed away on 2/11/12 - Part 2

I was really surprised to see that! Both were a bit before my time. My Aretha cds have been played ALOT, I haven't listened to Dionne much.

When the news hit about Demi Moore's struggles I thought about Valley of the Dolls, now I really have the theme song that Dionne sung on the brain. :)

Haven't seen that movie for a long time. I wish it were shown more often. Great flick.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uZIXIxGVxU&feature=related"]DIONNE WARWICK. VALLEY OF THE DOLLS. TV PERFORMANCE 1969 - YouTube[/ame]

I was really surprised to see that! Both were a bit before my time. My Aretha cds have been played ALOT, I haven't listened to Dionne much.

When the news hit about Demi Moore's struggles I thought about Valley of the Dolls, now I really have the theme song that Dionne sung on the brain. :)

Love Aretha's music! Gets played all the time. I know, I never owned and WH or Dionne, but I give Dionne credit for handling WH's body return and funeral. Lot to ask, but I don't think Cissy could do it alone. I like some Dionne's songs, was surprised when I read about her education, she really did do something with all that. Good for her! If only other stars would get clean, go ahead with college, maybe even realize when it is time to step off the stage, and perhaps produce or find another creative form, they could live so long.

I see a lot of youtube music in my future weekend time.

Why?? When the church could only seat 300 people!! They had to be very careful who they chose, and who they gave invites to. They had to be very picky. And maybe Bobbi Kristina requested that they all not be invited??

And even if that was the case and he wanted to bring other people, he should have had the RESPECT to call the family in advance and see if arrangements could be made, instead of EXPECTING that it would be all ok!

But from what I saw it really did look like there was room. If he brought people other than his children then I think he might of crossed a line, but then again that could depend on who these people were. They could have been people that Whitney was very close to that Whitney's family wasn't aware of. Jesse Jackson said that Bobby Brown had 4-5 people with him so the reports that he had 9 people with him may have been exaggerated.

No matter his past transgressions, I wish that he could have been there for his daughter. I can completely understand why it would be important for an ex-husband to be there, and I hope it was important to him to be there for Bobbi Kristina. In a way, leaving be because his other children couldn't stay was putting them ahead of Bobbi Kristina and without a doubt BK should have been numero uno.

IDK, honestly I can see how all of them felt. I wish it hadn't of gone down the way it did, but it did. The most important thing right now is that Bobby is there for Bobbi Kristina in a healthy way. For sure, healthy boundaries need to be in place when it comes to their relationship, but the same can be said about Cissy and other family members.

I think the real test for Bobby B. will come if he's asked to participate in counseling sessions with Bobbi Kristina. If BK wants him in her like. I can think of a million reasons why he would want to avoid that, but I think it would help his daughter tremendously, and I think it would help Whitney's family deal with the fact that its impossible to completely shut him out of her life. Doing otherwise is just sweeping those issues under the rug, and there's usually too much of that going on in families with addiction issues.

Bobby is hopefully encouraging Bobbi Kristina to get help just as Whitney's family is.

There was a picture I saw of the funeral. (I know you can't tell much by a single photo but it struck me)

In that picture the photographer must have been standing at the back of the church and the subjects Whitney's Mother and Daughter had their backs to the photographer.

I noted that Whitney's Mother was bent over at the shoulders grieving. Christina (Whitney's daughter) was standing straight and had her arm around her Grandmother to console her.

It reminded me of my own Mother (who grew up with an alcoholic Mom who drank herself to death at the age of 54 yrs, I lived with my Grandmother the alcoholic as well).

In that one picture, I imagined that Christina has probably had to be the one to support and console probably her whole life.

Addictions effect the entire family. It can impact them for generations even if the subsequent generations don't use themselves or are addicts.

I hope that she gets treatment for her own drug use but I hope she gets to have counseling in order to break that cycle and to also overcome what it is to be the adult child of an addict. Because it's not just the erractic behaviors of someone using drugs that impact us but it is the "ism's" that go along with addiction that are pervasive in the family.

There have been times where I have had an emotionally strained relationship with my own Mother because of her injuries from childhood that made her who she is, but I've long accepted the damage that she accrued spiritually from her own Mother. I accept her as she is now.

But the relationship between Mother (primary caregiver) and child is one of the primary relationships of our formative years. If the Mother (primary caregiver) is incapacitated (by drugs or otherwise) then the child is the one that suffers.

Not blasting Whitney, I have no doubt she loved her child to her fullest capabilites. But, her child really needs help and support above and beyond just family members. JMHO

Since we really don't know what happened with Brown at the funeral, again all reports contradict, he says he was moved around, others say that never happened. We can just leave it to Bobbi K to make up her mind about her dad.

I understand WH's families very many reasons for disliking him. He abused Whitney, has neglected his daughter, brought Whitney down to a level they all struggled all their lives to never be part of the legacy, ghetto. Brown brought her down and did it all on film with that horrid reality show. Her family had to fight to be on stage in their lifetimes. Whitney did not, she never knew their struggles, so she did not mind showing that part of her character, which was never part of her life. Catholic school, a nice neighborhood, a house/home with a yard to grow up in, never once did she know struggle. Until she got on drugs and Brown pulled her down. (WH ignored it, as she was simply in denial and thought her stardom covered it all.)Her family struggled just to be treated with simple human respect. I get that.

Bobbi K knows none of that. She lived wealthy, but in constant strife and struggle, a "high" ghetto life. If the drugs had not taken over her parents and the bad attitudes, she would have had a kinder childhood with more benefits than her mother had as a child. She had lots more than I'll ever know, but she had a bunch of crap she had to survive through. I worry about her choices in life, drugs, friends, business relationships, you name it.

No matter all the worry her family or strangers give, she will make her choices. There are very high dangers ahead, instead of what could have been smooth sailing. She could turn it all around out of sheer disgust, I can only hope.

There was a picture I saw of the funeral. (I know you can't tell much by a single photo but it struck me)

In that picture the photographer must have been standing at the back of the church and the subjects Whitney's Mother and Daughter had their backs to the photographer.

I noted that Whitney's Mother was bent over at the shoulders grieving. Christina (Whitney's daughter) was standing straight and had her arm around her Grandmother to console her.

It reminded me of my own Mother (who grew up with an alcoholic Mom who drank herself to death at the age of 54 yrs, I lived with my Grandmother the alcoholic as well).

In that one picture, I imagined that Christina has probably had to be the one to support and console probably her whole life.

Addictions effect the entire family. It can impact them for generations even if the subsequent generations don't use themselves or are addicts.

I hope that she gets treatment for her own drug use but I hope she gets to have counseling in order to break that cycle and to also overcome what it is to be the adult child of an addict. Because it's not just the erractic behaviors of someone using drugs that impact us but it is the "ism's" that go along with addiction that are pervasive in the family.

There have been times where I have had an emotionally strained relationship with my own Mother because of her injuries from childhood that made her who she is, but I've long accepted the damage that she accrued spiritually from her own Mother. I accept her as she is now.

But the relationship between Mother (primary caregiver) and child is one of the primary relationships of our formative years. If the Mother (primary caregiver) is incapacitated (by drugs or otherwise) then the child is the one that suffers.

Not blasting Whitney, I have no doubt she loved her child to her fullest capabilites. But, her child really needs help and support above and beyond just family members. JMHO

Thank you for sharing that. :)

Bobbi Kristina's and Whitney's relationship must be incredibly complex. When I started to explore my own childhood issues I had more anger at my mom than I did for my father, even though he was the primary abuser. At least on the surface in the beginning.

Since we really don't know what happened with Brown at the funeral, again all reports contradict, he says he was moved around, others say that never happened. We can just leave it to Bobbi K to make up her mind about her dad.

I understand WH's families very many reasons for disliking him. He abused Whitney, has neglected his daughter, brought Whitney down to a level they all struggled all their lives to never be part of the legacy, ghetto. They had to fight to be on stage in their lifetimes. Whitney did not, she never knew their struggles, so she did not mind showing that part of her character, which was never part of her life. Catholic school, a nice neighborhood, a house/home not an apartment with a yard to grow up in, never once did she know struggle. Until she got on drugs and Brown pulled her down. (WH ignored it, as she was simply in denial and thought her stardom covered it all.)Her family struggled just to be treated with simple human respect. I get that.

Bobbi K knows none of that. She lived wealthy, but in constant strife and struggle, a "high" ghetto life. If the drugs had not taken over her parents and the bad attitudes, she would have had a kinder childhood with more benefits than her mother had as a child. She had lots more than I'll ever know, but she had a bunch of crap she had to survive through. I worry about her choices in life, drugs, friends, business relationships, you name it.

No matter all the worry her family or strangers give, she will make her choices. There are very high dangers ahead, instead of what could have been smooth sailing. She could turn it all around out of sheer disgust, I can only hope.

I really hope this will be a wake up call to her. But it takes a heck of a lot more than a wake up call to keep an addict clean. I'm so worried about Bobbi Kristina.

Since it seems that the media really does seem to focus on bad behavior I hope that we don't see BK in the news, especially since if she is in rehab she won't be out and about for them to be snapping pictures.

I hope she has a very extra extended stay in rehab, as pointed out drug abuse has always been apart of her life. Its really probably been the only way she has been taught to cope.

I really hope this will be a wake up call to her. But it takes a heck of a lot more than a wake up call to keep an addict clean. I'm so worried about Bobbi Kristina.

Since it seems that the media really does seem to focus on bad behavior I hope that we don't see BK in the news, especially since if she is in rehab she won't be out and about for them to be snapping pictures.

I hope she has a very extra extended stay in rehab, as pointed out drug abuse has always been apart of her life. Its really probably been the only way she has been taught to cope.

BBM

I know. I wish that paparazzi will leave her alone, but I have a feeling if they do, she will find them. That also is all she knows. To hate them, yet feed off of them.

So many stars go so young. You would think "the machine" would have put in some really strong measures against it years ago. Unfortunately, the machine only likes them while they are young. After 28 or so, they are on their own. jmo, moo

Love Aretha's music! Gets played all the time. I know, I never owned and WH or Dionne, but I give Dionne credit for handling WH's body return and funeral. Lot to ask, but I don't think Cissy could do it alone. I like some Dionne's songs, was surprised when I read about her education, she really did do something with all that. Good for her! If only other stars would get clean, go ahead with college, maybe even realize when it is time to step off the stage, and perhaps produce or find another creative form, they could live so long.

I see a lot of youtube music in my future weekend time.

Music on youtube is my addiction! :)

I don't really know much about Whitney Houston's offspring, but did BK ever go to school and have any kind of a "normal" kid's life? From what I've read about her recently, it seems that she and her mother were pretty much joined at the hip with BK traveling hither and yon while Mom was touring. Plenty of educational opportunities in the travel, to be sure, but did Bobbi Kristina ever have friends her own age (I know about the boyfriend) and time to just hang out and be a regular kid? Those of you who have followed WH's career closer than I might know about BK's life and will share. Thanks.

I don't know, but I read somewhere that in 4th and 5th grade BK stayed with Gary and Patricia Houston, Whitney's brother and sister in law (and Patricia Houston was her manager and was the one seen with her in the last photos of Whitney at that party). I think that was after the divorce and maybe when Whitney was going to rehab/trying to get her life together, but I could be wrong.

I don't know, but I read somewhere that in 4th and 5th grade BK stayed with Gary and Patricia Houston, Whitney's brother and sister in law (and Patricia Houston was her manager and was the one seen with her in the last photos of Whitney at that party). I think that was after the divorce and maybe when Whitney was going to rehab/trying to get her life together, but I could be wrong.

You're right. That was one of the Oprah interviews. Where she finally admitted to pot laced with crack, and Brown cutting her head off a huge portrait and drawing creepy eyes all over the bedroom walls, spitting on her, etc... I think it was the 2009 interview, there are a couple of them. I got lost in interviews after a while, lol.

Watch this video at starting 2:55. It is the American Music Awards on Feb 4, 1994 when Whitney won eight awards, including for "I Will Always Love You." A reporter asks her if she wants the song "I Will Always Love You" played at her funeral. Which is kind of a rude question. But look at her response. Little did she know, 18 years and 14 days later, that is exactly what would happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkkQDVVHQhA&feature=youtu.be

Watch this video at starting 2:55. It is the American Music Awards on Feb 4, 1994 when Whitney won eight awards, including for "I Will Always Love You." A reporter asks her if she wants the song "I Will Always Love You" played at her funeral. Which is kind of a rude question. But look at her response. Little did she know, 18 years and 14 days later, that is exactly what would happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkkQDVVHQhA&feature=youtu.be

Will do in a second.

I keep wondering why she still got so upset about magazines and spin. The National Enquirer she saw in the hotel the day before she died was no big deal. She'd been doing this since the late '80's. I think it was title Whitney Collapses, bankrupt, blah blah blah. Why get so upset? It is old hat by now. Was it b/c of the grammy party? How could she be embarrassed after doing that drugged up show with hubby and drugged up interviews and performances?

Off to watch...

I know that would be best, but I'm betting she won't do that. She is 18 and I think going from the lifestyle she had with her mother to what would probably, to her, be a boring "normal" life in New Jersey with her grandmother would be major culture shock I think. I think she will get out of New Jersey as soon as she can and back to the life she knows.

I worry about what that will do to Cissy, though. She is 79. I think she has aged so much in the last few years and I'm afraid all of this is going to be too much for her.

I read the Aretha did a concert the evening of Whitney's funeral. I know I shouldn't judge, but I think she should have been at the funeral come hell or high water, even if she had to come in a wheelchair (her leg was bothering her), and if she had to cancel something it should have been the concert, not the funeral.

Why would you think this? Not being snarky just would like to know.

It was/is. No tweets since Dec 26. I figured she has others and found the article. If you go to the article and follow the origin of tweets, the one mentioned there is finished now. I'm thinking she has a few. ;)

I was able to see her facebook page the day before yesterday, but not yesterday. There is one that is not really hers but has some wiki information when you click on it. Then there is one that was really hers, but it's gone now or made private or something. On her wall she was telling people to friend her on FB, and she said she made it to connect with fans of her parents (maybe she has a separate hidden FB page for her own friends). On of her posts said she will be happy to talk to anyone, but not to ask to speak to either of her parents because it wasn't happening.

Wow that is startling to see her respond the the question about the song being played at her funeral. I wish they would not have played it. Ick. Enough already.

Also, my 2 cents: Bobby Brown is probably a real jerk and most certainly an addict. However, only Whitney is responsible for her drug addiction. Whitney's family is as responsible as Bobby for enabling her. The fact that they blame Bobby pretty much shows they are in denial themselves and do not have a healthy way of dealing with addiction. Their daughter is in trouble already. Hope she will get help.

Why would you think this? Not being snarky just would like to know.

Because I think a funeral of someone close to you (if not close to Whitney at the time of her death, she was definitely close to Cissy) should take precedence over a concert. Makes sense to me. If she was able to do the concert that night, there is no reason she shouldn't have been able to make it to Whitney's funeral. She should have been there.

Interesting question. A bit premature, she did look high already, perhaps they just saw it coming. Or is there more to it? :eek: ;)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheMidge
Back