Who is Hannah Graham?

I think she is a wonderful person, but she seems to think about drinking a lot. She has several tweets about that, including one where she said her Mom limited her to a pint when they were drinking in England. I think her mother is very wise, and she might have seen that Hannah might have been getting too fond of drinking. I also was concerned about a tweet of Hannah's where she said that someone around her was doing cocaine.

I am not writing this to disparage her. I am pointing it out to all the parents (including myself) that we must be ever vigilant about drinking. When I next see my oldest, I plan to have a conversation about alcohol changing behavior and making us do things we wouldn't normally do. It's very important for all of us to know how to drink responsibly. We must make our kids realize that the world is not kind to vulnerable people, even if, like Hannah, they are kind to them.

I think she's like a lot of college kids. I would like to add something concrete to your suggestion as to what to talk to our kids about. We should tell them:

1. Never walk alone at night.
2. Have a buddy system when out drinking.
3. If you are meeting someone or going somewhere, text a different person to create a record of where you are going, who you are meeting, and what time you are expected back.
4. Trust your gut instinct. If something seems wrong, get out of the situation.
5. When you are walking alone, walk with a purpose, upright, confident, and not texting or looking at your phone.
6. Learn to be assertive. Learn to loudly say, "No.".
7. Ask for help from businesses or groups that may be around. Do not be embarrassed to ask for help.

I was able to find a lovely vigil that was held at UVA honoring Hannah. The people involved in preparing it went to great lengths to find all of the things that were important to Hannah and it's a beautiful vigil, IMO. The music is heart wrenching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWg_Tff0mL0

They speak of her awesome Instagram account and her love of avocados, her cooking lavish meals, the incredible decorations on her wall creating a rainbow, she's "the kindest and goofiest of people", the flapper-dress inspired ski race…

A favorite quote of hers..."Happiness is in the heart not in the circumstances" - Dove candy wrapper

They speak of her community service, big giraffe hugs, quick wit, and her humorous and spunky spirit.

She sounds like a real joy to be around. Come on home, Hannah!

Incredible. Tear jerking. Thank you.

I think she's like a lot of college kids. I would like to add something concrete to your suggestion as to what to talk to our kids about. We should tell them:

3. If you are meeting someone or going somewhere, text a different person to create a record of where you are going, who you are meeting, and what time you are expected back.
5. When you are walking alone, walk with a purpose, upright, confident, and not texting or looking at your phone.
7. Ask for help from businesses or groups that may be around. Do not be embarrassed to ask for help.

These are excellent things everyone needs to tell their children! I have a 19 daughter away at college in AZ and have tried to drill into her these exact things. What happened to Hannah and subsequently, her parents and other family, has touched the depths of my being. I put Hannah's parents' letter addressing the UVA community on my daughter's FB page along with a note that do not EVER want to have to write a letter like this about her. I pray she has listened to me all these years, but we really are invincible at that age...

These are excellent things everyone needs to tell their children! I have a 19 daughter away at college in AZ and have tried to drill into her these exact things. What happened to Hannah and subsequently, her parents and other family, has touched the depths of my being. I put Hannah's parents' letter addressing the UVA community on my daughter's FB page along with a note that do not EVER want to have to write a letter like this about her. I pray she has listened to me all these years, but we really are invincible at that age...

If she has you as a parent, she's good. I think many parents just say - "Don't drink. Don't talk to strangers." We know our kids are going to do those things. Having concrete suggestions may make all the difference instead of being just a blanket (and sometimes unrealistic) prohibition.

I would like to add, "Don't take a taxi alone" to the list, but in some cities and some situations that's hardly realistic. One of the safest options for a girl who's been underage drinking and gets separated from her friends, is to call home for a ride. I hope I have the kind of relationship with my kids so they know they can do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The excerpt below is from an email sent to us as UVa parents by the university. It sheds some light on the "hoosgotyourback hashtag. Makes it all even harder to take.

#HoosGotYourBack
For several years, educational programs through Orientation for new students and other avenues have emphasized the importance of being an active bystander. A new campaign, "Hoos Got Your Back," was launched in late August to build awareness around often-simple steps that students can take to watch out for one another. Several student groups have taken leadership around the campaign, and area businesses located on the Corner are actively participating in the campaign as well.

#HoosGotYourBack is part of a larger program, Not on Our Grounds, aimed at ending sexual misconduct. More information is available on the Not on Our Grounds website. Extensive efforts around training, education, and prevention are now under way with regard to the issue of sexual misconduct. An overview of the issue was presented at the most recent Board of Visitors meeting on Sept. 12. To watch the presentation, please go to the Board of Visitors website and click on the Student Affairs and Athletics Committee slide.

It is really jarring to see how many times she tweeted about crime stories, having no clue that one day she would be the victim in one of them.

A true blue friend speaks.

Leila Nasser first met the late Hannah Graham at a French Emerson summer program. Hannah Graham, a UVA student, is described by Nasser in the interview above. Nasser reacts to her death and reflects on her life, describing the type of person she remembers Hannah to be. Remains found in the investigation of her disappearance were confirmed today to be hers.

Produced by Trey Yingst
Filmed and Edited by Ford Fischer
Published October 24th, 2014

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT39aEVfvrE

Mourning Hannah
Candlelight gathering planned for Saturday.
http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/news/2014/oct/30/mourning-hannah/

The West Potomac softball team is dedicating their season to Graham’s memory. “I remain saddened by the news,” said head coach Craig Maniglia. “It will take a long time for us to start healing as a team and a community. She was a remarkable young lady.

“I want to make sure everyone who didn’t know Hannah understands she was an unbelievable human being, a fantastic person who was going to change the world.”

A candlelight and silence gathering is set to be held Nov. 1 from 8:30-10:30 a.m. at St. Aidan's Episcopal Church, 8531 Riverside Road in Alexandria.

Honoring Hannah
UVa-Wise students hold vigil for slain UVa student Hannah Graham
by Allie Robinson Gibson - The Bristol Herald Courier (includes video of ceremony)
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2014 Updated: 11:48 pm, Thu Oct 30, 2014.
http://www.tricities.com/news/article_5c9d11b2-606f-11e4-bb08-0017a43b2370.html

“We remember Hannah for her great promise as a student at the university,” said UVa-Wise Chancellor Donna Henry. “She was a great friend and a joy to so many.”

UVa-Wise students hold vigil for Hannah Graham
By Kathy Still Photos by Tim Cox - October 30, 2014 - 7:30pm
http://www.wise.virginia.edu/News/UVa-Wise-students-hold-vigil-Hannah-Graham

“We are UVA,” Tipton said. “Hannah Graham lives in us.”

I think UVA, students, community, family will have a lot of accolades about this incredible young woman. And I do mean that she was incredible, in that she was incredibly talented, accomplished, with great character and personality. Which makes it all the more chilling, the decisons she made the day she disappeared. Clearly, if somone like Hannah can behave the way she did, make the decisions she did, it's very common. My guess is that this happens all fo the time, but without the dire consequences that this woman suffered. I hope that people open their eyes to the above admonitions. Yes, they can get you killed.

Want to add something about cell phones. Just about everyone has one. Young people live with them. My experience has been that they are on them constantly, running down that battery, which is NOT a good idea when going out anywhere, Taking a quick pic of a taxi license, texting what you are actually doing can make a big difference in terms of staying in touch with others and letting them know as well as those with you know that you are taking record. When you are walking to a destination, playing with the phone, texting, whatever, is not a good idea, when you should be paying attention to your surroundings, and maybe using your GPS app if anything. In my neck of the wood, kids get mugged regularly as the bee bop down the street, eyes and mind on the smart phone with perps right there to relieve them of it. It's not a safe stretch from public transportation which most of them take to the school, at certain times of the night, when you are alone. At prime time , in a apack of literally hundreds of students making the journey, you re safe as can be. Alone, you are prime prey.

So use the phone wisely when out and about as it can be a valuable safety tool. Does you no good out of juice and when it's distracting you from important things.

Again, that someone like Hannah, able, aware, smart, could act the way she did, find herself in the situation she was, shows how prevalent this all is.

Who is Hannah Graham?

She was a beautiful, talented, intelligent and caring woman who should still be alive. There is no doubt in my mind that Hannah would have gone on to make a huge impact in the field of medicine or whatever she set her mind to do.

Hannah was a person who I would have felt proud to know. She would have made a caring and loyal friend, not to mention a lot of fun to be around.

If this had happened to someone else at UVA, Hannah would advocate for the victim.

Hannah is someone who cannot be replaced, and for that I pray her killer will be convicted and never smell the sweet Virginia air again.

I will never forget Hannah or the joy she gave to others. I'm sorry this happened to you, Hannah. If only we could rewind the hands of time and swoop in and save her before she encountered JM. That's what I wish for every time I see the surveillance videos of Hannah that fateful night.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10961547

For some reason this comment about her eyebrows being unique caught my attention and stuck with me all this time. Feeling sad about Hannah today while I read through these threads...it bothers me so much that all that was left of her was bones. Her parents won't ever get to hug her again, and not even her unique eyebrows could survive JLM's evil.

UVA Women's Chorus Sings a Tribute to Hannah Graham
Matt Talhelm reports about a "Song for Hannah"
Nov 01, 2014 10:41 PM EDT
http://www.nbc29.com/story/27184775/uva-womens-chorus-sings-a-tribute-to-hannah-graham

Director Kae Renae Mitchell says she heard the song "Avila"... "We also extend this song into all places in the world where there is no peace and where there is no safety and with hopes that this will inspire all to work towards a more peaceful world,” said Michell. The song was originally written by the Wailin' Jenny's... the band was happy to have the chorus sing it and even change a few of the lyrics for tribute to Graham.

New Self-Defense Class Teaches Women Strategies For Staying Safe
"This knowledge never gets old."
Updated: Nov 01, 2014 6:33 PM EDT
http://www.nbc29.com/story/27183651/new-self-defense-class-teaches-women-strategies-for-staying-safe

UVA Women's Chorus Sings a Tribute to Hannah Graham
Matt Talhelm reports about a "Song for Hannah"
Nov 01, 2014 10:41 PM EDT
http://www.nbc29.com/story/27184775/uva-womens-chorus-sings-a-tribute-to-hannah-graham

Director Kae Renae Mitchell says she heard the song "Avila"... "We also extend this song into all places in the world where there is no peace and where there is no safety and with hopes that this will inspire all to work towards a more peaceful world,” said Michell. The song was originally written by the Wailin' Jenny's... the band was happy to have the chorus sing it and even change a few of the lyrics for tribute to Graham.

The Wailin' Jennys - "Calling All Angels"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6Y6p-BRIaU

I've noticed several people on other HG threads talking about the lack of detail on who Hannah was (beyond the rather one-dimensional snapshot of a fresh-faced A student who played softball and was a talented musician). So, I thought I'd draw attention to this short video. It isn't new but I found it very enlightening. The articulate, quite sophisticated young woman in this "Washington Post" video --- who was apparently a close friend of HG's --- really kind of changed my concept of HG. She was clearly a very self-possessed, strong, and adventurous person:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/postt...50566e-5c6a-11e4-9d6c-756a229d8b18_video.html

I've noticed several people on other HG threads talking about the lack of detail on who Hannah was (beyond the rather one-dimensional snapshot of a fresh-faced A student who played softball and was a talented musician). So, I thought I'd draw attention to this short video. It isn't new but I found it very enlightening. The articulate, quite sophisticated young woman in this "Washington Post" video --- who was apparently a close friend of HG's --- really kind of changed my concept of HG. She was clearly a very self-possessed, strong, and adventurous person:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/postt...50566e-5c6a-11e4-9d6c-756a229d8b18_video.html

Maybe already been noted, but it appears she was a Kappa Delta from a picture in that video. Would have meant she pledged Spring semester of this past year.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KhaosDisciple
Back