Who was George Brody?- Part 2.

I have been following this story on Websleuths for a long time but have never felt I had anything helpful to contribute. Anna certainly captures the heart.

The use of "lost" struck me also...but it might make sense if the Georges actually WEREN'T involved in the disappearance and he thought she fell into the creek...a doctor "loses" a patient...so since he was a physician he well might have worded it that way if he thought she was no longer with us.

I agree. "ACE (Anna) lost" is certainly a bewildering entry to post. Impossible to get inside George Waters' head, but under the circumstances why would he write anything at all? And why not "missing"?

Hi Joe!

How long after Anna disappeared did you go to the Tenderloin to surveillence the two George's? I ask due to LE saying they were not seen for a full week after Anna vanished?

And yes, 'lost' is really weird to me.... did they just let her go in the midst of America on some road? Is there any truth to this? JMHO

Thank so much!

I have been following this story on Websleuths for a long time but have never felt I had anything helpful to contribute. Anna certainly captures the heart.

The use of "lost" struck me also...but it might make sense if the Georges actually WEREN'T involved in the disappearance and he thought she fell into the creek...a doctor "loses" a patient...so since he was a physician her well might have worded it that way if he thought she was no longer with us.
Thanks for posting, Doublestop. George Waters would believe anything Brody told him, since he believed Brody was all-knowing (a belief obviously disproved by a number of circumstances.) Remember his comment Joe Ford tape-recorded, "I'm glad the tot is dead". If Brody made a pronouncement, GW took it as gospel. Still, the use of the word "lost" implies some emotional involvement which was countered by GW's immediate inquiry as to whether he had to pay child support for January and whether he could still claim Anna as a dependent on his tax return.

Good to see you here, JF!!

With permission from Odyssey:

Odyssey noticed GB's unclaimed funds no longer appear at the state of California's site for unclaimed property. I went and couldn't find the listing either. While I doubt someone came forward and claimed the funds I think we need to review this possibility. I recall, but from where?, that after so many years unclaimed funds become property of the state. I can't seem to find anywhere which lists the circumstances and time for any unclaimed funds to become property of the state. This has occured to me from time to time over the last few years as I thought it was quite some time, more than 25 years, this property was still made public and not claimed by the state. Perhaps 29 years is the time limit?

Does anyone know anything out state law/rules regarding this? :waitasec: Help! TIA!

According to the State Controllers FAQ there is no time limit to claim "unclaimed" property in California

"The unclaimed property account is held in perpetuity for the owner, or the owner's heirs, until a claim is received and paid"

http://sco.ca.gov/upd_faq_claim.html#sect2216

By any chance did anyone happen to print or write down the ID number on that property?? I will call the controllers office but I think that ID # might be helpful?

Doogie... you might be my only hope on this...

Is anyone near Sacramento?

Found this on the controllers website:

Notice To Investigators
Order Form - November 2009
Estates of Deceased Persons and Alpha Files Microfiche Release
(November 13, 2009) On October 21, 2009, the Unclaimed Property Division (UPD) updated the County Estates of Deceased Persons and Alpha files on microfiche. The microfiche will be available for purchase beginning at 8:00 a.m. on Friday, November 20, 2009, at the UPD offices. Read or Print Entire Notice

System Maintenance Error
(August 19, 2009) The purpose of this notice is to inform you that due to a glitch in our system, properties were posted to our website that have already been paid. These properties appeared on our website between Sunday, August 16, 2009, 1:00 a.m. and Monday, August 17, 2009, 6:15 p.m. Read or Print Entire Notice

Order Form - April 2009
CD-ROM and May 2009 Microfiche Releases
(April 2009) The seven disk CD set containing abandoned property account information is now available to Heir Finders for purchase or review. Notice to Investigators and Price List - May 2009

That was on a ledger he kept for child support payments that he kept in the BFH. The last entry said "ACE lost".

Hi Joe!

How long after Anna disappeared did you go to the Tenderloin to surveillence the two George's? I ask due to LE saying they were not seen for a full week after Anna vanished?

And yes, 'lost' is really weird to me.... did they just let her go in the midst of America on some road? Is there any truth to this? JMHO

Thank so much!

It may have been as long as a month before I turned my eyes more closely on Waters/Brody. Up 'till then we were concentrating on searching the creek and surrounding areas closer to the ranch.

The quote attributed to LE is misleading. Annasmom informed LE almost immediately regards Anna's father, GW. and the possibility of his involvement. They started surveillance within days. I don't believe that GW or GB deviated at all from their normal weird schedule. Annasmom probably has more accurate information if necessary.

By any chance did anyone happen to print or write down the ID number on that property?? I will call the controllers office but I think that ID # might be helpful?

Doogie... you might be my only hope on this...

FOUND IT!

Someone was nice enough to copy and paste the info from the unclaimed property website into the forum - I have sent an email to the controllers office to see what I can find out. <fingers crossed>

It may have been as long as a month before I turned my eyes more closely on Waters/Brody. Up 'till then we were concentrating on searching the creek and surrounding areas closer to the ranch.

The quote attributed to LE is misleading. Annasmom informed LE almost immediately regards Anna's father, GW. and the possibility of his involvement. They started surveillance within days. I don't believe that GW or GB deviated at all from their normal weird schedule. Annasmom probably has more accurate information if necessary.

On Jan. 25, (then) Sergeant Maguire said that GW was living with GB in San Francisco, so he was following them before that time. On Jan. 31, Maguire said that the two had not been seen at the hotel for more than a week. (This is from my journal at the time and is in chapter eight of Searching for Anna.)

~ Thanks Joe, I appreciate what you're saying, and yes, one would automatically believe something happened on the property with Anna.

~ Does anyone know if back in '73 a parent could put their child on their passport if flying overseas? My husband came from Germany in '60, he and his brother have their photos in their mother's passport with pertinent details listed on their mother's passport they did not have their own. My husband was 5 years old at the time he moved from Germany to Canada.

You may have already seen this draft card but I wanted to post it just in case. I have come across it before but due to the birth date -- July 12, 1886, never looked at the actual document until just now. This GB has a very similar handwriting style as our GB. Is it possible that he could have been born much earlier than we first thought??

Attachments

• brody.jpg
    brody.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 40
You may have already seen this draft card but I wanted to post it just in case. I have come across it before but due to the birth date -- July 12, 1886, never looked at the actual document until just now. This GB has a very similar handwriting style as our GB. Is it possible that he could have been born much earlier than we first thought??

~

Interesting one hooha! I'm not sure, I will have to look at his writing again, his signature on the 'Kilroy' photo is printed, and printed badly at that...

Attached is the Kilroy photo.. On 123people.com there is a Marguerite Kilroy in San Fran age... 117! / 74 yrs / and 76 if anyone on the west coast dares calls to ask if she had a photo studio.

http://www.123people.ca/s/marguerite+kilroy/united+states

Would there be a probability, the M on the Squibbs is Marguerite? I rather doubt it as Brody would have been in touch with her for decades. I feel this photo was taken in the 40's looking at his tie.

Attachments

• BrodyPortrait1Web.jpg
    BrodyPortrait1Web.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 44
~

Interesting one hooha! I'm not sure, I will have to look at his writing again, his signature on the 'Kilroy' photo is printed, and printed badly at that...

Attached is the Kilroy photo.. On 123people.com there is a Marguerite Kilroy in San Fran age... 117! / 74 yrs / and 76 if anyone on the west coast dares calls to ask if she had a photo studio.

Would there be a probability, the M on the Squibbs is Marguerite? I rather doubt it as Brody would have been in touch with her for decades. I feel this photo was taken in the 40's looking at his tie.
We know that she had a photo studio in San Francisco; someone was trying to sell one of her photos on e-Bay. I doubt seriously if she was a friend of Brody's.

~

I find the inscription on this photo interesting. It strikes me as something you would write on a photo of yourself to give to a 'love interest' in your life.

Or maybe I'm just a romantic at heart :)

Annasmom,

Do you have the original Kilroy photo? Back in the dinosaur days, pre digital cameras, they used to print the date on the back of photos.

Wow--really good work. It does look like the writing is VERY similar. The R's and the E's are almost exactly alike. Hooah, you may have found the right George Brody. I am off to look on ancestry for some history on this guy!

It appears that the George Brody on the draft card died in 1963 in Los Angeles. (According to some family tree records) Those same records show he was married to a Fannie (Hobson) Brody, but the draft cards state he was married to a Myrtle, so I am checking both wives. Fannie died in 1968, but perhaps they divorced long before. He and Fannie did have several children together. (I did find some other info that I think is this same George w/ a wife named Nellie-according to 1930 census info) I did find a WWI draft card for this same Brody. (Attached)

I did also find a SSDI listing for him--he died in Sep 1963, but no exact date or location, so maybe he did not really die?

Attachments

• george w bordy WWI draft card.jpg
    george w bordy WWI draft card.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 24
Annasmom,

Do you have the original Kilroy photo? Back in the dinosaur days, pre digital cameras, they used to print the date on the back of photos.
It was in a kind of cardboard frame, but when I took it out, I didn't find a date on the back. However, I DID find something I've never looked at before: A typed, undated letter to "Margie" (obviously composed by GB and typed by GW) postmarked May 12, 1967, addressed to Mary Kay at the Noe Street address and forwarded to Con S. Shea, public administrator, at 1212 Market Street, San Francisco 94102. The return address on the envelope says 625 Market Street, Third Floor, Room 300-308, San Francisco 94105 (it is a printed address which may not be the address of the sender.) The content is the usual paranoid baloney.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back