Who was George Brody?- Part 2.

I will make it a sticky and leave it an open thread so it can be updated as we find additional information.
Great. Let's all self-police and only post updates to the timeline there. Any discussion of the info on the timeline should be done in the other appropriate threads with a link back to the timeline if necessary.

Was looking into the address of 2329 San Pablo Ave where GB was listed (found that address was the Open Door Church) So started searching Open Door Church and found this... could be the same place

YOUNG PEOPLE HOLD SERVICE AT MISSION (Jan 8 1941)

The young people of the Mission Covenant Church were in charge of the service at the Open Door Mission in Oakland on Monday evening. Contributions toward food for the men at the mission were received by the young people at the church last Sunday.

and...

Invitation was extended the council to attend a meeting to be held at the headquarters of the American Federation of Labor, 2111 Webster St., Oakland, at 8pm tomorrow night, at which time speakers will discuss the transportation problem as it affects the San Francisco Bay Bridge and East Bay cities. It was voted that as many members of council as possible will attend.... (skipping nonrelevant stuff) .....Rev. Raymond A. Williams, pastor of the Open Door Church, requested permission to use the building at 2327-2329 San Pablo Ave for church purposes. The request was referred to the planning commission for recommendation.

Ugh, I keep hitting the wrong button to quote. (so if you see todays date that I edited a post, I did not, it was just my hitting edit instead of quote. I haven't had enough coffee yet.)

Thanks Ozzie. It's a long shot, but since it appears Lydia was never able to legally establish paternity of her son I took a guess based on the time frame and location perhaps Brody is her illegitimate son. Of course that could be totally wrong.... it just jumped out at me for some reason. And Brody strikes me as the kind of person that would have been angry about that and stayed angry about a father not acknowledging him.

This was an easy one. Lydia's son David Jennings Baird Jr was killed in a plane crash in June 1929, aged 22, so he is not GB.

That was on a ledger he kept for child support payments that he kept in the BFH. The last entry said "ACE lost".

~ Maybe just me, but I find this very interesting GW wrote 'lost'. I wish I would have a lightbulb moment with this one, but nothing is coming to mind at the moment.

I have copied raf's post below from the "Who was George Brody" thread as it seems to have been overlooked, and I think, because of the resemblance, he should be ruled out and I can't see that he has been.

Hi all, sorry for my english... from some months I following this search... I find it by web... maybe I can give a little help from my far country.... I thinked so much abt this story....
well I wish to ask annasmom:
please to see this
http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/1...plicantdo1.jpg

what you think? this descriptions, of same man in different ages, it could be adaptable to George Brody?
and this picture of same man, when young, give to you some idea ??
http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/9484/unknownlu5.jpg
http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/6439/unknow1zm4.jpg
I read all I found on internet abt this case and frankly my heart is with your heart dear annasmom...
Please to see very well the images ... just a bit of help...
best regards, raf

I have been studying the photos of the man in the passport photo and the one's of GB, both younger and older, and apart from the resemblance, I have noticed that all GB's facial features appear to be the opposite of the man in the passport photo eg; the raised eyebrows are on opposite sides and also the part in the hair, the turn in the nose, the slight downturn of the mouth and even the ears. Could the passport photo have been reversed somehow?

If you do a side by side you will see what I mean. You will need to use both photo's of GB to compare all the features as he is wearing glasses in the younger photo.

raf,

What was the name of the man in the passport photo? And where did you find it. I can't find that info anywhere.

I have copied raf's post below from the "Who was George Brody" thread as it seems to have been overlooked, and I think, because of the resemblance, he should be ruled out and I can't see that he has been.

Hi all, sorry for my english... from some months I following this search... I find it by web... maybe I can give a little help from my far country.... I thinked so much abt this story....
well I wish to ask annasmom:
please to see this
http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/1...plicantdo1.jpg

what you think? this descriptions, of same man in different ages, it could be adaptable to George Brody?
and this picture of same man, when young, give to you some idea ??
http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/9484/unknownlu5.jpg
http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/6439/unknow1zm4.jpg
I read all I found on internet abt this case and frankly my heart is with your heart dear annasmom...
Please to see very well the images ... just a bit of help...
best regards, raf

I have been studying the photos of the man in the passport photo and the one's of GB, both younger and older, and apart from the resemblance, I have noticed that all GB's facial features appear to be the opposite of the man in the passport photo eg; the raised eyebrows are on opposite sides and also the part in the hair, the turn in the nose, the slight downturn of the mouth and even the ears. Could the passport photo have been reversed somehow?

If you do a side by side you will see what I mean. You will need to use both photo's of GB to compare all the features as he is wearing glasses in the younger photo.

raf,

What was the name of the man in the passport photo? And where did you find it. I can't find that info anywhere.

Ozziemum, can you tell me the number on Raf's original post which you copied? I do remember looking at these photographs before.This man resembles Brody somewhat except that his hairline is higher than Brody's was when I first met him as an older man. I don't know what the impression was when the pictures first came up (the first link doesn't work for me.) I don't know if you've seen any of the old posts about the boxer who looked EXACTLY like Brody (one member did an overlay of their photos which matched), but who turned out after a great deal of research not to be Brody. I believe there was other information about this fellow. Certainly the image could have been reversed. The second and third links are the same picture with different proportions.

I'm not 100% but IIRC the man in the pictures Ozziemum linked was a George B with a different surname than Brody. Raf found a living niece or daughter of his who, like the living Kukoda family member who was upset about the allegations against Margaret because she clearly had nothing to do with Annas disappearance, was upset at her family member being accused of being involved with Anna's disappearance. Sometime not much later Doogie was able to find and make contact with a different family member who was able to provide Doogie with some verifiable documentation ( a copy of something ) and this person was ruled out. IIRC, that verifiable documentation might have had verification of either a date of birth, or date the man in the picture passed.....

I do know that whatever it was that ruled him out was a definate no lingering question.

hth.. It's late and I should be in bed, but not ready to yet. ;)

Ozziemum, can you tell me the number on Raf's original post which you copied? I do remember looking at these photographs before.This man resembles Brody somewhat except that his hairline is higher than Brody's was when I first met him as an older man. I don't know what the impression was when the pictures first came up (the first link doesn't work for me.) I don't know if you've seen any of the old posts about the boxer who looked EXACTLY like Brody (one member did an overlay of their photos which matched), but who turned out after a great deal of research not to be Brody. I believe there was other information about this fellow. Certainly the image could have been reversed. The second and third links are the same picture with different proportions.

Hi Annasmom,

raf's post is number 288.

If the boxer you mention is Dalton, I agree that there is a very strong family resemblance to GB but they seem to be a very tall family, which GB wasn't. I've had a good look at him and his family today. If you think it is worth while researching their family tree through ancestry, let me know.

The first image link was a physical description of the man in the passport photo which matched GB (I don't know why it is not working in my post but it is still working in raf's original post).

Did you meet GB before or after the younger photo of him was taken? The younger photo shows him with a really receding hairline and in the older photo he has the "comb over" :sick: Sorry, I prefer a bald man to a comb over.

Can you see the "reversed" facial features I'm talking about? (the second image link, first photo, is the better one to use, the third image link, second photo, is a bit distorted). I hope this makes sense.

Hi,
I have the folder abt the search of this man..
Him name was very similar.. GA Brady..
I searched anything abt him and- only for a cause- I no searched more, because the birth date is much different (and so much far from probable birth year 1905/6 by the article that I found of 1941- but at this time search I having not the article, I found it in successive time) ...

the man in picture, GAB, was born in NY 20 Sep 1879 but sometimes declaring 15 oct 1879; no doubts that it was same person..

This man was my first search, and I know that he was (or studying) for to be a priest (almost when he was young); but in all honesty, I found some trip with "rev" word on the name... so maybe was a priest for period time....
by censuses I know that he never working, he was "at school" in 1900 ... in 1910 he declaring him age of 24( instead he was of 31).. in 1920 he declaring of being 30 old; false, he was 41 old..

this man changing the birthyear by censuses, but no doubt that is same man.. and becoming more young with passing time....

Matching for: eyes, the face, the size, the family's money... maybe matching for religious knowdlege... matching for lies abt the age, matching for "Italy" link, I know that he travelled in Italy also....
but matching not for: birthyear.... and handwriting, almost the handwriting when he was more young (by passport signature)...

I lost him traces around the 1929 ...
I wish to post here some pictures, but I wish hope that all members will call it only GAB ....
GAB expired passport 1922:
pag 1 http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/9867/georgeaugustinbradypag1.jpg
pag 2 http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/4416/georgeaugustinbradypag2.jpg

GAB passport 1920:
pag 1 http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/7007/georgeaugustinbradyfirs.jpg
pag 2 http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/7007/georgeaugustinbradyfirs.jpg
the witness was the Rev Edward A Sullivan of Fordham University ( in 1912 Carl Gustave Young made a conference in Fordham University of NY abt the numerology also and/or similar things )....

what is strange, it is that in second passport nobody made the witness, but sure GAB had again another and successive passport because he back in USA in 1929
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/5862/georgeaugustinbrady1929.jpg
the address in this ship's manifest is not the usual address, but in 1930 in the same address living a woman with 2 daughters, Brady surname... I no found this marriage record... and no further traces ...

I lost him trace from this date.. I searched in NY death database and he no died almost until 1948...
all the best,
raf

Does anyone recall if 630 Geary (Hotel Abby) is where JF did the surveillance, and was it the place where GB/GW died? I'm getting confused with the different hotels...

Does anyone recall if 630 Geary (Hotel Abby) is where JF did the surveillance, and was it the place where GB/GW died? I'm getting confused with the different hotels...

Joe Ford’s notes Jan. 20, 1982

On Jan. 19, 1982 GHW’s sister-in-law called and said they had been informed on 1/11/82 that GW had been found dead in his room in the Abbey Hotel. GW’s brother went to the hotel and collected all paperwork and files from Room 206 and a room on the fourth floor. On Monday 11/11/82 the brother spoke with the coroner, who said there was a suicide note which is in his possession. After tracking down bills and assets papers were turned over to Joe Ford. Although JF said there were no papers found regarding GB, closer scrutiny recently uncovered bills for clothing for GB.

Joe Ford’s notes Jan. 20, 1982

On Jan. 19, 1982 GHW’s sister-in-law called and said they had been informed on 1/11/82 that GW had been found dead in his room in the Abbey Hotel. GW’s brother went to the hotel and collected all paperwork and files from Room 206 and a room on the fourth floor. On Monday 11/11/82 the brother spoke with the coroner, who said there was a suicide note which is in his possession. After tracking down bills and assets papers were turned over to Joe Ford. Although JF said there were no papers found regarding GB, closer scrutiny recently uncovered bills for clothing for GB.

Thanks!! Is this 630 Geary also where JF did the surveillance, do you know? City directories show him living there in 1972-1973 but I'm not sure if that was where JF watched them or if that could have been "the other hotel"...

Good questions odyssey. I'm getting confused here too. I recall that the two G's lived in two different hotels because they could not live in one for more than 30 days at a time. Some kind of rule at the hotels back then...... so they went back and forth between two, but that was not known until after Anna dissappeared and I don't recall how much later that info was found out.

Oh Joe Ford, come out come out where ever you are and please clarify this hotel stuff for us! I miss seeing you post here! I know your reading from time to time, just not posting.... Sorry if that put you on the spot, didn't mean to, but your input and participation here is very much valued!

On the Childrens Hospital papers with "George Bee" there is a name of Gwen Mitchell handwritten with a phone number. I searched the physicians licenses and nurses licenses and did not find her listed on either.

I also googled her name & her phone number but did not find anything pertinent... it also didn't bring up any WS threads on google so has anyone tried to figure out who she was? I was really hoping she was a home nurse or something...

Oh Joe Ford, come out come out where ever you are and please clarify this hotel stuff for us! I miss seeing you post here! I know your reading from time to time, just not posting.... Sorry if that put you on the spot, didn't mean to, but your input and participation here is very much valued!

I second that!!!

Good questions odyssey. I'm getting confused here too. I recall that the two G's lived in two different hotels because they could not live in one for more than 30 days at a time. Some kind of rule at the hotels back then...... so they went back and forth between two, but that was not known until after Anna dissappeared and I don't recall how much later that info was found out.

Joe Ford can verify this, but when he interviewed the desk clerk at the Abby or Abbey Hotel in January of 1982, the clerk said GB and GW had been in the hotel ten years: "They were there when it was owned by the Indian family" and that they were there when the clerk took over as manager five years before, on the first of September. At the beginning of the interview, Joe said "I stayed at your hotel for a while under the name of Boger", so this was the same hotel, though it may have changed names at some point.

On the Childrens Hospital papers with "George Bee" there is a name of Gwen Mitchell handwritten with a phone number. I searched the physicians licenses and nurses licenses and did not find her listed on either.

I also googled her name & her phone number but did not find anything pertinent... it also didn't bring up any WS threads on google so has anyone tried to figure out who she was? I was really hoping she was a home nurse or something...

Googling Gwen Mitchell, quite a few Gwendolyn Mitchell's come up one a spokesperson for Santa Clara talking about earthquakes.

My apologies for the long url's, I'm not sure how to shorten them.

http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cach...spital+san+francisco&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

The other one here includes a phone number..
http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cach...spital+san+francisco&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

County to Host Conference on Domestic Violence

Santa Clara County Domestic Violence Council Partners with Professionals, County and Representatives to Eliminate Domestic Violence in the Community

CONTACT: Gwen Mitchell/Marina Hinestrosa Office of Public Affairs (408) 299-5119 Esther Peralez-Dieckmann Office of Women’s Policy (408) 299-5142

There is also a Gwendolyn Mitchell who is a prison guard at Central California Women's Facility in Chowchilla who was sued along with other official in a wrongful death.

Corrections Department sued by family of Chowchilla inmate

Friday, November 30, 2001

(11-30) 16:31 PST CHOWCHILLA, Calif. (AP) -- The family of one of several prisoners who died at Central California Women's Facility in Chowchilla a year ago sued the state Friday, alleging negligence. The suit filed in the United States District Court in Fresno alleges prison officials failed to provide Stephanie Janet Hardie with timely and adequate medical care and were guilty negligent supervision and abuse of a dependent adult. Hardie, 34, of Pomona had an enlarged heart when she died Dec. 9, one of several mysterious inmate deaths that prison officials for a time worried might have been from improper sharing of prescription drugs or some other common cause.

That turned out not to be the case, according to University of California doctors who investigated the deaths at the request of the California Department of Corrections. Dr. Kathleen Clanon, a University of California, San Francisco physician who investigated Hardie's death, said Hardie should have received better medical treatment after she complained about chest and stomach pain and shortness of breath. Friday's suit was filed by Hardie's mother, Diane Hardie-Rios, on her own behalf and on behalf of Hardie's two children, Nicole, 15, and Jason, 14.

The suit names the Correction Department's former director, Cal Terhune, prison warden Gwendolyn Mitchell, and 10 unknown prison employees the suit alleges should have provided better care. Hardie's attorney, Robert Bastian, said he anticipates additional prison employees will be named in the suit as more information becomes available. Corrections Department spokeswoman Terry Thornton said she hadn't seen the suit and couldn't immediately comment.

Warden Gwendolyn Mitchell / Acting Director Steve Cambra
Central California Women's Facility California Department of Corrections
P.O. Box 1501 P.O. Box 942883
Chowchilla, CA 93610 Sacramento, CA 94283
Phone: (559) 665-5531 Phone: (916) 445-7688
Fax: (559) 665-7158 Fax: (916) 322-2877

Could be nothing but had to post the tele numbers.

Joe Ford can verify this, but when he interviewed the desk clerk at the Abby or Abbey Hotel in January of 1982, the clerk said GB and GW had been in the hotel ten years: "They were there when it was owned by the Indian family" and that they were there when the clerk took over as manager five years before, on the first of September. At the beginning of the interview, Joe said "I stayed at your hotel for a while under the name of Boger", so this was the same hotel, though it may have changed names at some point.

Just an FYI I do have the names of the managers (two different people) for that hotel in 1972 & 1973. One of them would have been the manager when Anna went missing. Not sure if I'm allowed to post their names but if anyone wants them feel free to PM me... and yes it was called the Paul Hotel in 1972-1973, it was the Abby in 1982.

The Abby Hotel and the Paul Hotel are one and the same. In the 70's the hotel was owned by the Patel (sp) family, a large East Indian family with small hotel holdings thruout the U.S. The hotel was sold and the name changed some time after 1973.

Attachments

• Abby  Hotel  630  Geary  St., S.F..jpg
    Abby Hotel 630 Geary St., S.F..jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 11
  • ABBY  HOTEL.jpg
    ABBY HOTEL.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 13
That was on a ledger he kept for child support payments that he kept in the BFH. The last entry said "ACE lost".

I agree. "ACE (Anna) lost" is certainly a bewildering entry to post. Impossible to get inside George Waters' head, but under the circumstances why would he write anything at all? And why not "missing"?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back