Why have Lisa's parents stopped talking to the media?

The lawyers are either being paid for by someone or they are working pro-bono. They are high-profile lawyers and I don't think D&J have made enough off of pictures and videos of Lisa to be able to afford them. The lawyers have to be in the hundred thousand dollar range by now, right? I know that the Anthonys were paid 250k for pictures of Caylee, but I don't know if that number is the same for all cases. Wasn't the Anthony case at least a few months old when they got that money? I could see the media paying more for a case that's given them months of ratings than a case that's just starting out. Also, Caylee's case is a much bigger case than Lisa's case, and I don't want this to come out wrong, but pictures of Caylee are probably worth more. And, I didn't follow Haleigh's case that closely but I highly doubt the Cummings and Croslins have gotten hundreds of thousands of dollars. The Anthonys made a pretty penny off of Caylee's murder...but I don't think every parent of a missing child is automatically pocketing $250k for pictures of their child.

from back in november:

Tacopina, who says he is on the payroll of a wealthy benefactor who would prefer to remain anonymous ...

http://www.kansas.com/2011/11/01/2085467/missing-babys-parents-lawyers.html

Personally, I would be wary of this. It is not a direct quote. As I have looked through information in this case, from my perspective it is still unclear how Tacopina is being paid.

Snipped from an article dated November 2nd, a day after the article above:

http://www.kshb.com/dpp/news/region...ney-has-defended-several-high-profile-clients

Tacopina isn’t saying if he or his team is being paid to help the Irwin’s.

I have to wonder if either reporter fact checked this information.

Tacopina has denied to answer who is paying him multiple times. Just off the top of my head, he denied to answer in his first PC. 18 minutes in:

http://www.kshb.com/dpp/news/region...a-irwin-family-to-hold-230-pm-news-conference

Q: Who is paying you to represent them?

Tacopina: There is no way I'm ever answering that question. I'm not going to talk about, you know, my retainers - who is retaining me, um, you know, while I appreciate- it's a fair question, I don't discuss those matters. They're very private, especially between an attorney and a client.

Stanton on Joy Behar, 10/25/11:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pgZHAnfPmc"]Stanton: Baby Lisa's parents innocent - YouTube[/ame]

With me now to discuss this case is Bill Stanton, private investigator working with the Irwin family on the Baby Lisa case. Ok. So who hired you, Bill?

BILL STANTON, PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR: Well, you know, it sounds so TV - - a mysterious wealthy benefactor and she`s been identified as a woman. And she is my friend, I know her.

BEHAR: Oh, you know who she is.

STANTON: Yes. I know who she is. I`m friends with her and coincidentally she is friends with a family member who I happen to know. I wouldn`t say we were necessarily friends but I was introduced to that person through her years ago.

BEHAR: So she has donated $100,000.

STANTON: Well, more than that.

BEHAR: More than that.

STANTON: A lot more than that.

BEHAR: So that pays your salary --

STANTON: Yes.

BEHAR: And your -- Tacopina`s salary --

STANTON: No.

BEHAR: Not his?

STANTON: No. Joe is a different thing.

I just assumed Tacopina was pro bono in the beginning and then getting paid by media appearances down the road.

Thanks for the links, everyone. I remember the Joy interview, which is why I have always questioned who is paying Tacopina.

so levi page --a popular crime commentator and member here on WS who tricia often has as a guest on her radio show and who reciprocates and has tricia as a guest on his radio show-- got it wrong too? i'd sure believe him over stanton...

Joe Tacopina - A high profile defense lawyer also based in New York, known for representing Joran Vandersloot from the Natalee Holloway case, is also retained by the same anonymous benefactor that hired Stanton. Tacopina cuts off media and police access to the Irwin family, and Deborah and Jeremy quit cooperating with law enforcement.

http://levipageshow.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default?orderby=updated

more on levi
: http://levipageshow.com/?page_id=14

*just b/c tacopina refuses to answer the question in public with media present doesn't mean the info didn't get out...

more from levi (10/17) which, imo, discounts the pro bono theory:

When asked who was paying him to represent the parents, Tacopina refused to reveal the identity, claiming that would violate attorney client privilege.

http://levipageshow.blogspot.ca/2011/10/breaking-new-yorks-most-hated-lawyer.html

*if he was working pro bono, why not just say so? why would that need to be kept secret? it wouldn't imo.

more from levi (10/17) which, imo, discounts the pro bono theory:

When asked who was paying him to represent the parents, Tacopina refused to reveal the identity, claiming that would violate attorney client privilege.

http://levipageshow.blogspot.ca/2011/10/breaking-new-yorks-most-hated-lawyer.html

*if he was working pro bono, why not just say so? why would that need to be kept secret? it wouldn't imo.

Tacopina comes off to me as greasy and smarmy, I just cannot see him missing an opportunity to chest thump and self promote if he was on this case pro bono. Instead we have an awkward and rambling sidestep to a direct question as quoted in askfornina's post a few replies up.

:moo: I find the whole need for secrecy of his funding unsavory and seedy. It may not be directly from KS, but I am willing to bet there is certainly a connection to her somewhere in the money trail to him and I am also betting it's media related. :moo:

Tacopina comes off to me as greasy and smarmy, I just cannot see him missing an opportunity to chest thump and self promote if he was on this case pro bono. Instead we have an awkward and rambling sidestep to a direct question as quoted in askfornina's post a few replies up.

:moo: I find the whole need for secrecy of his funding unsavory and seedy. It may not be directly from KS, but I am willing to bet there is certainly a connection to her somewhere in the money trail to him and I am also betting it's media related. :moo:

Do you mean that the media is paying the lawyers? I have seen a few people bring up the possibility. However, I have never heard of that happening in any other case. Why would the media give a crap about Deborah and Jeremy? Paying for their counsel? The national media hasn't talked about them in months.

Here's something else I wonder...

If Deborah and Jeremy decided to do another interview, they could definitely get some $$ for pictures and videos of Lisa. Now, I personally think they are guilty...and money is tempting to a lot of people, especially those who might have killed their kid...so why don't they just talk to get some money? Even if they're nervous that they might slip and say something incriminating...you would think they would do a national TV show every month or so. Right? Or maybe since the case is almost eight months old...not much happening...the media isn't offering as much money anymore or isn't that interested...but I'm kind of surprised if they are just refusing possibly thousands of dollars.

Although, since Jeremy is back at work...and the lawyers are paid for by the benefactor...and we haven't heard about any luxurious purchases the family has made...I wonder how much $$ they really made from videos/pictures of Lisa? It wouldn't surprise me if the media was able to get the footage for not that much due to D&J not being too media-savvy.

So I would not be surprised at all if Deborah and Jeremy pop up again....

BBM

I think any items of signifiance could be brought in the house by either DB or JI by driving the car into the garage, therefore, neighbors being unaware of anything. JMO

Also, I really don't think this couple are going to get much money for interviews at this point. The general public has moved on. Unless cases get over the top publicity (i.e. JonBenet Ramsey/Laci Peterson), people lose interest or forget. Unfortunately, there are other cases like this, almost weekly, to talk/read about.

BBM

I think any items of signifiance could be brought in the house by either DB or JI by driving the car into the garage, therefore, neighbors being unaware of anything. JMO

Also, I really don't think this couple are going to get much money for interviews at this point. The general public has moved on. Unless cases get over the top publicity (i.e. JonBenet Ramsey/Laci Peterson), people lose interest or forget. Unfortunately, there are other cases like this, almost weekly, to talk/read about.

By luxurious purchases, I was thinking of a new car or house. You're right that Deborah could buy, say, designer clothes and we would never know about it. Their lifestyle does not seem to have changed since October though.

I agree with you that D&J probably wouldn't get paid (much) for interviews at this point. I also can't see the two of them turning down thousands of dollars if it was still being offered to them. However, Jim Spellman has posted here that he would love to interview the Irwins so they could get national airtime on CNN or HLN very easily. It's unfortunate that D&J are not taking him up on his offer because it's a pretty "exclusive" one. Most parents of missing children do not have someone in the national media who would be willing to talk to them months later when their child's case is cold. I would guess that D&J could get on CNN or HLN for as long as Jim is working there. Can you imagine how beneficial that would be for truly innocent parents of a missing child?

I was looking at past covers on People's website and one thing I noticed was: Every case that got the full cover is still infamous today, to various degrees. There was no case that would be considered obscure in 2012 and I bet that many people, who are old enough, would remember the cases.

These are the cases that made the cover at least 10+ years ago: Sunny Von Bulow, The Preppy Killer, Laurie Dann, Lisa Steinberg, Menendez Brothers, Carol Stuart, Central Park Jogger, Jeffrey Dahmer, Texas Cheerleader Plot, Brian Watkins, OJ, Polly Klaas, Long Island Lolita, Waco, Susan Smith, Jenny Jones Murder, Adrianne Jones, JonBenet, Dunblane Murders, Lisa Sobek, Pearl Mississippi HS Murders, Louise Woodward, Chandra Levy, Columbine, Tawana Brawley, Yosemite Murders. There are only two cases that as someone who follows true crime I don't recognize.

So being on the cover of People magazine is a BIG deal. They are not just putting the hot case of the moment on the cover. Almost every case that made the cover from the 80s and 90s is still notorious in 2012. Now, I am not saying that means Lisa's case will be remembered in 15 years. It's not as simple as People magazine cover = Infamy. But as you can see, People has a good track record when it comes to choosing cases for their cover. They aren't giving the cover to every case that makes national news....The case has to stand out in terms of circumstances, interest, and press.

So the cover of People magazine is further proof of the media's huge interest in this case. It wouldn't shock me if this case was supposed to be the replacement to Caylee Anthony; a case that would give the media years of ratings. But it didn't work out. And IMO, it's because Deborah and Jeremy stopped talking to the media. They did not capitalize on the media's interest in the case.

To the contrary, I feel like Desiree and Kaine got as much coverage out of Kyron's case as possible. You can talk to the media at every chance you get, but ultimately, it's up to them how much attention they are going to give your child's case. But I feel like Lisa's case had the potential to get a lot more media coverage than it did and should have been in the spotlight for much longer.

It does feel like the media ran to cover the Jerry Sandusky story, and that was the parent's opportunity to make the media forget about Lisa. I feel like innocent parents would still be talking to the media when the Sandusky case was happening---or getting their child's case back in the news as soon as that scandal started to fade from the headlines.

Wonder how much the Today show pays?
https://www.facebook.com/KansasCityPI

Yep...looks like D&J will be back on our TV's this Monday! This is their first national media interview since Dr. Phil. What do you think they will accomplish by only talking to the media every few months? I bet we will see some new pictures and videos of Lisa....

Although, if I was the media, I wouldn't pay them a cent. There are so many other cases that are more current that will bring in just as just as high...or higher...ratings. The media is doing D&J a favor, not the other way around. This interview will get Lisa's face out again, and there will probably be an increase in tips. I think the media is hoping that D&J will say something controversial again that they can use to get more coverage out of this case.

A family member just posted (in a public FB group) that JI and DB will also be on America Live w/ Megyn Kelly Monday. Both shows will be live.

A family member just posted (in a public FB group) that JI and DB will also be on America Live w/ Megyn Kelly Monday. Both shows will be live.

Two shows in one day after not talking to the national media since Feb? Hmmm....I have a feeling their lawyers encouraged them to go back on TV. But why?

Low on cash?

Possible. But I believe Jeremy is back at work so they have his income coming on. I'm not even sure how much they would make for these new interviews. Let's say they get 5-10 minutes of airtime on both shows...how many pictures and videos would you need for that? Why doesn't the media just use the footage they already own? I really think if the Irwins have the potential to make thousands of dollars just to supply a few pictures of Lisa for a 5-minute interview, we would hear from them a lot more often. On the other hand, it seems strange that they would come out of hiding for free. Hmmm...So perhaps they are making money off of this interview, but the media is not going to pay these people to talk to them every day or every week....?

Isn't this what some of you have been saying they should be doing all along? So, when they do it, you wonder what the motive is. Honestly, these people can't win.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox
Back